PDA

View Full Version : Current Bullets for Trapdoor Springfield

Bote
06-04-2019, 11:46 PM
I have owned a pristine barrelled 1873 Springfield for a couple years now but never shot it. I understand some commonly sold lead bullets can be harmful to original trapdoor barrels. I haven't been able to source any of the bullets recommended in the Spence Wolf book. Would Oregon Trail 405 grain bullets be ok for my trapdoor?

elk hunter
06-05-2019, 09:24 AM
Bote, first of all welcome.

Oregon Trail bullets are well made but most likely too hard and too small in diameter to shoot well in a Trapdoor, but you can try them and see what happens. You would probably be better off finding someone who casts bullets and loads for a Trapdoor in your area and consult with them. Since you didn't put your location in it is difficult for other members to tell where you live and offer to help. Bore and groove diameters of black powder era rifles can vary quite a bit so slugging your barrel will give you a better idea of what diameter you will need. If you intend to use black powder a slightly smaller bullet that is soft will expand up to better fit the groove diameter but that generally doesn't work well with smokeless loads.

Good luck with your Trapdoor.

dondiego
06-05-2019, 11:31 AM
Be sure to know that Trapdoor actions are not too strong. Know your load.

truckjohn
06-05-2019, 12:30 PM
The thing is - Trapdoors were converted out of muskets.

As such - barrel dimensions can be all over the place.

Slug your barrel and go from there with a cast bullet sized 0.001"-0.002" larger than the barrel dimensions you measure.

Check the Lyman #47 manual for appropriate loads and info. Many of the old Lyman cast bullet manuals had sections devoted to the Trapdoor Springfields.

Bote
06-05-2019, 12:49 PM
I found good info after searching lots of old posts but with the increased sales in lead pistol bullets I was hoping I could buy some good cast bullets that were good to go. It seems I might as well cast my own. From my research, my shopping list from Midway includes:
Lee one cavity 405 hollow base mold; 25:1 lead; bullet lube. What's a good sizing die?

I have a Lee pot and ladle. I also have a set of Lee sizing dies. I'm told I'll need to modify the seating plug to fit the bullet. Most recommend Unique powder but I'll probably load some BP since I use it in my revolvers anyway.

abunaitoo
06-05-2019, 06:23 PM
I used to have really good results with Western Nevada cast.
405gr/ 461di.
Can't find them anymore.
Looking for a replacement mold to cast my own.
I've tried a few, but they just don't shoot the same.
Probably the hardness of the alloy.

hpbear101
06-05-2019, 06:30 PM
I use the Lee HB in several different rifles including Trapdoors to good effect. If you get a sizer try to find a .460, however they also work good as cast and just pan lube them. I don't think any cast bullet would be harmful per-se to the barrel. If you want to go with commercial cast, as Truckjohn mentions slug the bore and find a cast bullet over bore diameter. I have a few TD's in 45 and 50 caliber, I used to shoot smokeless in them (Lyman manual is great for giving different levels of load) however now I pretty much stick to black powder. BP works great and other than you need to clean the rifle and brass (not difficult at all) soon after shooting.

Good Luck!
Tom

Larry Gibson
06-05-2019, 11:13 PM
"The thing is - Trapdoors were converted out of muskets."

Not quite, the M1873/M1884 "trapdoors" were made with new receivers, barrels, breach blocks and most of the other parts. Also, while the "specs" may seem "all over the place" to us, the barrels were made within spec for the time.

Bote

A purview of this thread might help you with loading for your TD; http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?190999-My-Trapdoor-Loads-Technique-and-Equipment&highlight=trapdoor+loads