PDA

View Full Version : Miss my Dillon... loaded on Lee today

AzShooter
10-24-2008, 11:31 PM
Well, my casings and dies for the .303 came today. I hadn't ordered the base plate for my Dillon yet but I still wanted to load a few cases so I can play tomorrow.

I have an old Lee single stage press that I used for a bit to size boolits from my Lee moulds. The press isn't that strong but I mounted it on my work bench with a large C-clamp and Set up the sizing die. I sized 50 cases, then I had to prime them with my lee hand priming tool. Once that was done I used the little dipper that came with my Delux Sizing Die set and used my Dillon electronic scale to measure 16 grains of 2400 for each case.

I'd weigh the powder, put the case in the press, put a boolit on top and seat it.

Much slower than using a progressive.

But I did manage to get 25 excellent loads out of the press. Tomorrow I will test them from my new Enfield Mk 4 no 1* Savage.

After shooting I'm heading to Dillon to pick up a new base plate and pins for my press. I like being able to load all my cases in one sitting.

But, it was fun getting back to the old days and loading on a single stage press. If that's all I had I'd be happy. Takes some time but I know everything came out the same.

Buckshot
10-25-2008, 02:27 AM
"But I did manage to get 25 excellent loads out of the press. "

............And that's all that REALLY matters, eh? :-)

..............Buckshot

dromia
10-25-2008, 03:55 AM
What boolit are you using?

AzShooter
10-25-2008, 08:29 AM
I'm using Lyman 314299s right now but have a new mould coming from CBE that will cast larger. I miked the bore and it's .315.

I may end up with an LBT mould next month when I have more funds.

Throckmorton
10-25-2008, 11:48 AM
I"ve been reloading with a friend who has a sngle stage,so I took mine up to his barn,and it's been kinda fun going at a slow easy pace.
If either of us could shoot worth a hoot,I'd see if the ammo was any better than I can do on my Dillon. :)

sig2009
10-25-2008, 08:28 PM
There is Dillon and there is everything else. I love my Dillon.

Shiloh
10-25-2008, 09:30 PM
I decided to go to the range because my bride went shopping and for her massage. I only had 20 rounds of .45 ACP on hand. It took less than 15 minutes to add primers to the Dillon 550 and crank out 100 rounds.

I use a single stage also but it won't load 100 rounds in a hurry.

Shiloh

missionary5155
10-25-2008, 09:43 PM
There is Dillon and there is everything else. I love my Dillon.

And about the only way to improve is get another and leave one setup for Small primers and the other for Large primers. Yardsales turn up some of the neatest toys...

AzShooter
10-25-2008, 10:12 PM
I've got a 650 for my pistol calibers and the 550 for rifle. I'll test the loads from the Lee tomorrow. I know they are good because I weighed each charge but I love the speed of the Dillons and their accuracy.

unclebill
10-25-2008, 11:26 PM
i have always said that all modern presses make identical ammo.
i do not believe anybody could tell a dillon loaded round from a lee single press round.
i have them both.
i prefer using the dillon of course.:-D

mike in co
10-25-2008, 11:42 PM
i do not believe anybody could tell a dillon loaded round from a lee single press round.
i have them both.

try doing some serious sizing on a lee. that is where the dillon shines. my lee springs enough it will not size some of my cases...but the dillon will do them. the new lee cast iron/steel presses are a different story.

generically you are close, but look at the pile of ammo at the end of an hour with each press.

i do all three...lol
dillon, lee handloaders, and as i have mentioned in the past, i finally bought a single stage press(a lee new cast iron/steel)......i get the most enjoyment from the lee loaders, but my current project is a min of 5200 223 rounds...thru the dillon.

mike in co

unclebill
10-26-2008, 06:17 AM
try doing some serious sizing on a lee. that is where the dillon shines. my lee springs enough it will not size some of my cases...but the dillon will do them. the new lee cast iron/steel presses are a different story.

generically you are close, but look at the pile of ammo at the end of an hour with each press.

i do all three...lol
dillon, lee handloaders, and as i have mentioned in the past, i finally bought a single stage press(a lee new cast iron/steel)......i get the most enjoyment from the lee loaders, but my current project is a min of 5200 223 rounds...thru the dillon.

mike in co

i use either the lee or a lyman all american for rifle.
i bought the 550b for pistol and boy it shines at that!

jonk
10-27-2008, 11:36 AM
I have not owned a dillon; I have loaded on them at a freind's place.

I agree their quality is superb.

For me its a cost thing. I can drive my ford anywhere someone else can drive a cadillac and I can load on my Rockchucker single stage and Lee Pro 1000 for pistol ammunition every bit as good as the Dillon cranks out for 1/4 the cost. It's a little slower. It's a little more finicky (the Pro 1000) but for me it's simply a non-issue.

David2011
10-29-2008, 09:06 PM
AzShooter,

I'm interested in your rationale for using the 550 for rifle and the 650 for pistol. I'm pretty new to rifle loading but have been loading pistol since the late '70s. I have a Square Deal B in 9mm and a 550 that I bought new in 1991 that I've been thinking of selling to buy a second 650. That way I would have a 650 for large primers and one for small primers and only one set of shell holders and toolheads. I shot about 800 pounds of cast boolits through my STI Edge last year, all loaded on my 650. Does the 550 do rifle better? I've loaded .223 and .45-70 on the 550 but no rifle on the 650. The rest of my rifle has been loaded on a single stage RCBS. Thanks for the input.

David

AzShooter
10-29-2008, 09:51 PM
I only load .38s on my 650 and I shoot a lot of .38s throughout the year. Since I had the 550, I set it up for large primers and loaded my .45 acp on it and then started loading my 7.62 X 54 since it was already set up for large primers. Now I'm loading .303 and they need large primers as well.

Since I only load 150 to 200 rounds of rifle at a time I can't see buying the changeovers for the 650. This way if I need a few hundred .38s the press is already set up and I can crank out a week or two worth of ammo in a short time.

I wouldn't say the 550 does better than the 650 but I had one. So I'm all set up.

TAWILDCATT
10-31-2008, 06:29 PM
I'm amazed at the amount of ammo being shot up.pre WW2 a couple boxes lasted a while.except for the comp shooters.pistols were not that much used,altho most of the boys had one.22 rifles were the thing.now talk is 500 a saturday.and people wonder why there is a shortage.even at 35 cent for box of 32 rim was a lot in those days.:coffeecom:coffee:[smilie=1:

KYCaster
10-31-2008, 08:04 PM
i have them both.

45ACP loaded with Dillon dies have a very distinctive look, quite a bit different than Lee, Lyman or Hornady.

Jerry

runfiverun
10-31-2008, 08:22 PM
i have 2 550's and i don't have a single dillon die.
but redding dies are awesome for them i like lee carbide dies and the rest redding.
i only load 308's for my m-14 on the dillon and all rifle stuff is done on the 3 rock chuckers set up in a row. like an assembly line.