PDA

View Full Version : Need some opinions on a couple of lever gun values

bedbugbilly
06-04-2019, 09:40 PM
I was wondering if I could get some opinions on “fair value” of a couple of lever guns I am thinking of possibly selling as I “downsize”. I’m not talking about “inflated” prices but rather a good honest fair market value. The guns are as follows:

The first rifle is a

Marlin 336SC (Sporting Carbine) – waffle top
Serial No. E375XX – puts it as 1948 production year
Caliber: 30-30 (5 + 1 capacity)

I don’t believe it is the original front sight and the rear sight has been removed leaving an open dovetail. It has a receiver peep sight. I am not expert but I would estimate the original blueing as 90 to 95%. Bore is good and it is a good shooter. It does have some handling dings etc. but overall, whoever owned this rifle took very good care of it. Hopefully some photos will help- I know it’s hard to arm chair quarterback a value but a fair ballpark figure is all I’m looking for.

The second rifle is a Winchester 94 “Ranger”.

Winchester 94 “Ranger”
Serial No. 60781XX
Caliber: 30-30 (7 + 1 capacity)

This rifle has the hardwood stock (not walnut) and the cross pin safety. It is as made with no alterations. I purchased it and while it did not have the original box, the person who consigned it at the LGS where I got it said that his father had purchased it new and never fired it – it lived in his father’s closet until he died and his son consigned it as he had no interest in it. It is “as new” as far as wear / handling marks / etc. I think I have fired perhaps 50 – 60 cast rounds through it – a nice shooting little rifle with my reduced loads and a 115 gr. flat nose.

I don’t hunt anymore and I don’t shoot these anymore – even though I love reloading the 30-30. I will probably get a single shot 30-30 so I can still reload and shoot 30-30 but it will be a “fun gun” if I do. It’s time for these two to go so I need a fair ballpark figure on what each is worth. I realize that geographic location makes a difference as well. As they say . . . “they are what they are” so need some help in determining value or each. These and several other rifles will be leaving the nest and I’m replacing them with a 38/357 and 45 LC lever guns that I will shoot and enjoy much more often.

Thanks for any help you can give – much appreciated.

Bazoo
06-04-2019, 09:46 PM
The winchester ranger would be priced 300-350 in a local store.

bedbugbilly
06-04-2019, 09:48 PM
Winchester 94 Ranger 30-30

Bazoo
06-04-2019, 09:54 PM
The ranger should be 7+1 capacity.

Winger Ed.
06-04-2019, 09:55 PM
A lot of folks get disappointed when they go to sell mass produced lever actions.

Demand is so-so, and there are gazillions of them out there.

$300-ish is pretty realistic.

bedbugbilly
06-04-2019, 10:01 PM
Thanks Bazoo - I corrected it to 7 + 1 - hit the wrong key!

Winger - yea . . . kind of like being a thoroughbred horse and finding out you bought a plow mule . . . LOL That's why I say "they are what they are" - no one is going to offend me by giving their honest opinion - an item is only worth as much as a willing buyer is willing to pay for it on a given day. :-)

Winger Ed.
06-04-2019, 10:06 PM
Thanks Bazoo - I corrected it to 7 + 1 - hit the wrong key!

Winger - yea . . . kind of like being a thoroughbred horse and finding out you bought a plow mule . . . LOL That's why I say "they are what they are" - no one is going to offend me by giving their honest opinion - an item is only worth as much as a willing buyer is willing to pay for it on a given day. :-)

Well, something else that kicks ya on the transom, is not being in the gun selling business.

Like when you take in a $6,000 dollar diamond ring to sell at a jewelry shop.
They put it on a scale and offer you $400.
It sort of works like that.

Texas by God
06-04-2019, 11:35 PM
Around here both would be between $300-400.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Bazoo
06-05-2019, 02:47 AM
The marlin would bring 450ish round here I think.

bedbugbilly
06-05-2019, 08:55 AM
Thanks much for the help - greatly appreciate it. It pretty much lines up with what I was thinking they would be worth. I was figuring maybe $275 - 300 on the Ranger and a tad bit more on the Marlin - maybe $350 or so. Am taking them to the gun shop this morning to see what they say they think that they can get for them on consignment - lever guns seems to sell out of this shop pretty well - just want to be fair about it and not underprice 'em but not overprice 'em either. I had my fun with them and it's time to move on so I am just chalking up any loss (or the consignment fee) as "rent" for the enjoyment I had with them. Thanks again! Jim

pietro
06-05-2019, 04:52 PM

FWIW, a few years ago, I sold a Ranger for $325 and a 1960's .35 Marlin Sporting Carbine for $500 - both were in excellent original condition (98%, +/-), with no alterations.

jakharath
06-05-2019, 04:57 PM
They have made millions of the Marlins. Great guns though.

Bazoo
06-05-2019, 04:57 PM
I'd price the marlin on the high end and let it soak a while, if you ain't in a hurry. The right person might see it. It is a very nice example.

Texas by God
06-05-2019, 06:20 PM
I just noticed that the 94 Ranger has a gold-plated trigger like the Marlin 336.... looks good on there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

bedbugbilly
06-05-2019, 08:59 PM
Tex - the trigger looks gold do to the camera - it's actually silver in color.

I took them down to the LGS where I've done business for many years. The place has been in business for may years and they are a good group there. All shooters and reloader themselves and good to deal with. I had consigned some rifles with them to sell over the winter and had a check to pick up so I took them down and told them I wanted to consign them. I put them on the counter and just told them to tell me what they thought they were worth and what they wold put on them. I was actually surprised - several looked them over and they came back with $400 on each them. This place seems to do a good business of selling lever guns - both new and used. I watch their listings and they seem to move quite a few used ones at what I have always considered fair prices. I told them to go ahead and as I discussed with them, we can always drop a little but it's hard to add. They thought that they would probably move well.

At the same time, I asked to see their Henrys and they had a whole rack full of different models/calibers - steel and brass receivers. What was nice was that I had the opportunity to heft and handle all the models and in different calibers. I "thought" that I wanted one of the big boy carbines - either in steel or brass and had pretty much decided on that - in 357. I surprised myself when I kept going back to the Big Boy steel rifle with the 20 inch barrel - I hadn't handled one but had watched a number of videos andI had the impression that I would prefer the shorter carbine - I was wrong. The steel BB in357 that they had on the rack had a nice burl grain pattern in the buttstock and it just sort of melted in my hands and arms when I raised it up. The guy pointed out the grain and said it was one of the nicest that they had had come in from Henry in a long time, even though their walnut stocks are always nice. As they say, "a bird in the hand" and for just a very few dollars more that what it would have cost to buy on online and do the transfer, etc. - it came home with me. My plan has been to downsize and get rid of the guns I no longer shoot and get down to two centerfire rifles - one in 357 and one in 45 LC - to go with my favorite revolvers. I have a feeling that this 357 Henry is going to by my "huckleberry" and get the most use.

Thanks for the input - greatly appreciated and now we'll see how long the Marlin and Ranger last at the gunshop - time for them to go to someone who will get some use out of them and enjoy them as much as I did.

Bazoo
06-05-2019, 09:44 PM
I'd love to have the Marlin, not too often you see a 2/3 magazine around here. Someone will be very happy with it for 400 bucks.