PDA

View Full Version : Mold sharing concept

rbstern
10-24-2008, 10:59 PM
"Pass the Mold"

I don't know if this concept has been suggested before, or if there is an informal version of it in play already. If so, pardon the redundancy.

I have a couple of molds that I wouldn't mind sharing with others who might like to try them, whether just to sample the mold, or to use to make a pile of bullets over a few days. The molds could be passed along from the first borrower to another person who might like to do the same, and so on.

I've seen this done with other items. One knife forum I am familiar with to does this with knives, so members can "try before buying." Obviously, this takes cooperation, communication, and trust. The members of this web site are made up of a group of incredibly trustworthy folks, in my experience.

With USPS priority mail envelopes (free), some bubble wrap (nearly free) or old newspaper (free), a mold can be shipped with confirmed delivery to nearly any U.S. address for less than $6, in a matter of days. You don't even need to go to the post office. USPS will deliver priority mail shipping supplies for free, and pick up your package for free. A computer, a printer and a credit card are all that's needed.

I'd like to suggest we try a "pass the mold" concept. I've outlined a rough draft of rules below. If members are interested, I'd ask the publishers of Cast Boolits to create a "Pass the Mold" sub-category under Swappin and Sellin, if they are willing and able to do so, with a sticky of whatever rules we agree to.

Suggested rules for "Pass the Mold":

1. If you have a mold you are willing to pass along, start a thread with the manufacturer, mold number and description in the title. Post any important details about the mold or it's availability in the thread, e.g., "No handles included", "Needs to be broken in", "available first week in December", etc.

2. If you are interested in borrowing a mold, respond to the thread for that mold. Include your name and address.

3. The mold will go to each person in the thread in the order requested.

4. The mold can stay with each recipient for up to 14 days if there are others in line for it.

5. The current holder of a mold is responsible for shipping it to the next person via USPS Priority Mail flat rate, with delivery confirmation (UPS, DHL, and Fedex are ok, too, if those happen to work better/cheaper for the sender). U.S. addresses only.

6. The responsibility to ship out the mold to the next borrower is to be viewed as no less weighty than if you had sold the mold and been paid for it. You are on the hook to ship it, and will get "dead beat" feedback for not doing your part. Deadbeats will be excluded from participating in future pass alongs.

7. If you have the mold, and no one is waiting in line after you, you may hold the mold indefinitely, until either: a) another person posts a request for it, or b) the original owner calls for it to be returned.

8. The current holder of the mold is responsible for any damage or loss while the mold is in their possession. If you lose it or break it, you should reimburse the original owner for the replacement cost. Don't expect others to pay for your mistakes. Don't borrow things you don't want to be responsible for. If a mold is damaged due to manufacturer's defect, communicate with owner and figure out appropriate manufacturer return procedure.

9. The original owner of the mold can call for the return of a mold at any time, even if there are still people waiting for it. The current holder of the mold must ship the mold back within 14 days of having received it, as if the owner was the next person in line. The thread should be updated to indicate the mold is no longer available.

10. The owner of the mold bears responsibility for loss in transit, so long as the shipper has shipping receipt and delivery confirmation info that shows it was never delivered. If you can't live without your mold, don't lend it out. There is risk involved.

11. The publishers of Castboolits have no responsibility in this matter. Members are expected to "self police," just as in Swappin and Sellin transactions.

Good idea? Bad idea? Comments? Questions?

mooman76
10-24-2008, 11:08 PM
Sounds like a good concept. I was never in on it but it was all ready done here and some scupulous people that are no longer with us desided they wanted the mould more than being apart of this fine group. It may be doable again and I think I'd be up for it.

HeavyMetal
10-24-2008, 11:28 PM
Actually we have something like this in play already!

That's the boolit exchange listed in the swap and sell section! This allows people to trade already cast boolits, sized or unsized as requested, for other to try out.

Check it out I think it's a lot simpler than swaping molds!

jimkim
10-24-2008, 11:45 PM
I would like to try the rent a mould myself. I hate to say this, but I think a security deposit might be in order if the program is revived.

Bret4207
10-25-2008, 08:28 AM
Just to be clear- THE STAFF HERE HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH YOUR CHOICE TO PARTICIPATE!!!!! We had a nice lead hammer mould making the rounds until some scumbag decided to keep it. I'd suggest a deposit, copy of their drivers license and other security type moves if you guys want to do this. 99.9999% of the people here are completely trustworthy, but all it takes is that 1 guy to screw it all up. I'd also suggest having the borrower make sure his family knows where it goes, a preaddressed flat rate bag, is case something bad happens.

Dale53
10-25-2008, 09:53 AM
I think mould sharing is a bad idea. Moulds are quite delicate - VERY easily damaged. I have shared with close friends AFTER I witnessed their casting methods. I have seen expensive H&G moulds DESTROYED by people who had few mechanical skills.

I have had a good friend, or two, who damaged a mould when I was teaching them to cast. I never failed to eventually get them to understand how delicate moulds can be (slamming them shut will quickly peen the alighnment holes) but in the meantime my moulds took a beating. I understood the risks and accepted the damage but that was with me standing there. Lord knows what happens with no direction from someone who understands...

I would think swapping bullets makes MUCH more sense.

Just my opinion...

Dale53

Meatco1
10-25-2008, 11:21 AM
Dale53:

I think you make for a very good case!

While personally, I would love to be able to try out different molds, I don't think the risk would be worthwhile in the long run.

Richard

hiram
10-25-2008, 12:10 PM
The boolit exchange is a plus. Its safe way to get samples without being responsible for the mold.

I wouldn't mind trying the 'pass the mold' concept, that is, until 1 of my molds gets 'lost' or damaged.

One suggestion is that molds be shipped with delivery confirmation so they can be tracked. It's something like .75.

Shotgun Luckey
10-25-2008, 01:06 PM
On the surface, it sounds like a good concept, but the problems probably outweigh the benifits....sharing boolits is probably a lot easier...

Just my $.02

Bullshop
10-25-2008, 01:41 PM
Nope I couldnt do it. Too many folks here that would ruin them. I have heard from several people here that have destroyed Lee molds in a single session. Some will make them last a life time whils others wont. And how about the hammer mold thingy???
I know there are some others here that would treat them with the respect they deserve but most I feel would abuse them. I just could not turn over the tools I love to own and use for the kind of treatment they would receive.
If you cant understand this you probably dont understand molds very well either, YET!
BIC/BS

rbstern
10-25-2008, 07:47 PM
Sounds like the enthusiasm isn't there. I agree, there is risk to the molds from mistreatment. I guess, because I never break mine, I assumed others generally don't either. Also sorry to hear we've had bad apples who ruined this in the past.

Jon K
10-25-2008, 08:23 PM
I agree with Daniel, Dale and Bret, and let me add.......there will always be the guy who figures that possession is 9/10 of the law, and he'll keep it long as he wants, regardless of what the rule is. I signed up for the hammer mould, and waited a loooooong time, and went out and bought a hammer mould. If I have to wait a year to try a mould that may or may not have been abused, is not worth it.

Swappin & Selling Section here works for me. I don't collect or keep moulds I don't use. My pension can't afford this. I will buy a mould or moulds I think will work for a gun, if it doesn't work, or I don't like it, I will only keep the one that works best. I only keep multiple moulds for a gun, if each has a different purpose, and I use it. Everything else goes to Swappin & Selling or to an Auction website, so I can finance the next purchase. I lose a few bucks on each, but I have passed the savings along to the next guy, and I have something that works.

Jon

Bullshop
10-25-2008, 08:25 PM
I would wake up in a cold sweat screaming in the night.
BIC/BS

montana_charlie
10-25-2008, 09:01 PM
I got in at the tail end of the 'loaner program' on the PGT moulds made by Victory Molds.
The design was only suitable for 45/70-type cartridges, so you would think that 'all BPCR shooters' would know how to treat a mould. Couldn't be more wrong...

I think Steve Fotou built ten or twelve moulds, and half of them got damaged. He was able to repair some, but (at least) three had to be discarded.

I personally received two. The first was supposed to go back in for inspection/repair, but the guy holding it sent it to me instead...maybe so it would look like I damaged it.
The mould looked Ok, but it would only touch on three corners when closed.

I see guys here brag about the things they do to moulds saying, "Nope...never warped one yet." But I can tell you that it happens.

The second mould I received had a tiny chunk broken, or filed, out of the corner of the base.
It left a little 'tit' of lead that should not have been there, but I found it a simple matter to cut it off with a razor knife. I cast, and trimmed, 300 good bullets with that one in the seven days I was allowed to keep it.
Even so, that mould had been damaged enough that it probably got tossed when it got home.

There might be a situation that would cause me to give a good mould to somebody...but I wouldn't loan one to anybody unless I had spent a lot of time watching him use his own...
and maybe not even then.

CM

felix
10-25-2008, 09:06 PM
They warp all the time under certain circumstances. One for sure is when the bolts (screws) holding the mold to the handles are too tight. The mold and bolts expand at different rates sometimes. Best to leave them in barely loose and then spot weld them in place with silicone caulk (or lead) so they won't turn out. ... felix

randyrat
10-25-2008, 09:08 PM
I taught a fellow to cast one time. He gobbed it with lead and pounded my mold so badly i was almost in tears. This was after i taught him how to cast! Then i had him go through the whole proccess of cleaning up a mold and mold maintenance. I went real slow. From that point on he was ever so carefull with my molds.

I think it would work but there would have to be limitations and cooperation. You only participate if you want to. I myself would have a Tough time doing it. It may be an oportunity for some that can't afford a mold or would like to try it before they buy one. Maybe a boolit exchange would be better. I really like the idea of a boolit exchange.

The Dust Collector
10-25-2008, 09:46 PM
I won't let a mould of mine be used by my wife, my sons (with out supervision) or anyone else!
Thee End!

fatnhappy
10-26-2008, 01:05 AM
I won't let a mould of mine be used by my wife, my sons (with out supervision) or anyone else!
Thee End!

too bad. I've benefited greatly by sharing/swapping moulds with guys on this board. There are some good guys here. Some will treat your tools better than you do...guaranteeeeed

Jim
10-26-2008, 05:42 AM
One thing I noticed hasn't been mentioned. On rare occasion, USPS and UPS do loose things. So then, who's responsible to replace it? I'll stick with what I've got or buy what I need.

Bret4207
10-26-2008, 07:51 AM
I think the boolit swapping idea sounds better. Accidents happen.

mooman76
10-26-2008, 09:17 AM
Maybe a mould swap would be better served with a small group of people that know each other or have delt with each other and are known to be trust wothy. And for those that can't bare to let someone use their mould they of coarse don't have to paticipate. And of coarse if you have a favorite mould that you don't want to part with, can't live without or would hate to loose, I wouldn't concider using that one in the swapping deal. I myself would just use moulds I could easily replace or don't care for that much anyway.

TAWILDCATT
10-26-2008, 06:49 PM
I think the bullet idea is much better.I have molds frombefor WW2 that are like new.I would never lend any.one poster on asite got so mad he threw a 6 cavity against a cement block wall[his own post.]nine no nic var.:coffee:[smilie=1: