PDA

View Full Version : My local barbershop

waksupi
06-04-2019, 03:04 PM
I went into James Wood's barber shop in Kalispell to get a haircut this morning.

James said to the customer he's working on, I have something to show you.

He pulled up his shirt, and pulled out a new Sig Sauer he had just got. The customer then pulled up his shirt, showing a Glock. James asked me if I was packing, so I pulled my vest aside to show my Colt.

About that time another customer walked in, and was immediately informed he had to be armed to come in. Pulled up his shirt, another Colt.

Great place to get a haircut. One man, one chair shop, that runs on Indian time. If he happens to be there, he may open the door and you might get a haircut.

Two fat old dogs lazing under the window on a rug. One gets up occasionally to get a dog biscuit from a pile on a chair across the shop, goes back to the rug and takes his time eating it. Neither dog ever tries to snatch the biscuit from the other, they know there are more where that came from.

Old stuffed deer heads on the walls, perforated targets, clippings from gun magazines, hunting photos of local big game taken by friends, family, and himself. A table overflowing with old outdoor magazines, a "William Tell'd" pair of arrows leaning on the wall.

100% of staff and clientele armed, no one shot or killed.

This is my kind of barber shop.

Froogal
06-04-2019, 03:09 PM
Barber shops are almost non-existant around here. My barber shop is in the kitchen. I may not be packing while getting a haircut, but the shootin' iron is not too far away.

popper
06-04-2019, 03:09 PM
I'm jealous, mine has maybe one (old) M-T and a bunch of sports mags. Doc's office only has women mags. And no gun signs.

Der Gebirgsjager
06-04-2019, 03:41 PM
Sounds like a great place to get a haircut, and a great town. The one I go to has a very impressive collection of model airplanes of all vintages hanging from the ceiling with fishing line, a couple of dummy 1873 Colts on the wall right in front of the barber chair, and an honest to goodness 33 1/3 stereo console that last trip in was playing The Tijuana Brass. There's also a jukebox complete with neon lights, but I don't know if it works.
The main barber is 82 years of age and still gives pretty good haircuts, but hasn't had one himself in years. There is another barber who is there part time. He's from Alaska, and likes to talk about his 4 ex-wives.

Winger Ed.
06-04-2019, 05:08 PM
Cool.

If he was closer, I'd quit shaving my head just to go there.

The dogs sound like the redneck security system we have here.

lightman
06-04-2019, 05:10 PM
Sounds like a cool place.

RED BEAR
06-04-2019, 06:15 PM
Now if there was a shop like that around here i would use it. As it is i just go out back to trim what hair i have.

Love Life
06-04-2019, 06:46 PM
My barbers are the rudest people you’ll ever meet. Never a kind word from any of them. Of course they deal with us jarheads all day so they get back what they give, lol. It’s a fun time and your never know when they’ll follow through with their threats to give you a screaming high And tight, lol.

waksupi
06-04-2019, 06:58 PM
Cool.

If he was closer, I'd quit shaving my head just to go there.

The dogs sound like the redneck security system we have here.

I don't think the dogs would be much security! The only way they would hurt someone is if you trip over them.

Winger Ed.
06-04-2019, 07:08 PM
I don't think the dogs would be much security! The only way they would hurt someone is if you trip over them.

Ours are more aggressive.
Once I was worried a relative was going to get a rash from being licked so much.

xs11jack
06-04-2019, 07:23 PM
Waksupi, there is term for your shop, it's called disappearing Americana. I think a lot of others have gone by the wayside. I don't know of a drugstore with a ice counter. There are a few Ace Hardware stores around. The last saw sharpener anyplace in the county quit about 6 or 7 years ago. I sure miss all that stuff.
Ole Jack

country gent
06-04-2019, 08:25 PM
The barber Dad Took us to for years was in the back of his home. Actually a friend of dads. But if we were "good" when Dad was getting his hair cut then after we got to go out in the yard with his 410 and fire a few rounds each. I remember it since it was an old trapdoor that had had the rifling reamed out. Big and heavy for us but what a treat.

buckwheatpaul
06-04-2019, 09:26 PM
I went into James Wood's barber shop in Kalispell to get a haircut this morning.

He pulled up his shirt, and pulled out a new Sig Sauer he had just got. The customer then pulled up his shirt, showing a Glock. James asked me if I was packing, so I pulled my vest aside to show my Colt.

About that time another customer walked in, and was immediately informed he had to be armed to come in. Pulled up his shirt, another Colt.

Great place to get a haircut. One man, one chair shop, that runs on Indian time. If he happens to be there, he may open the door and you might get a haircut.

Two fat old dogs lazing under the window on a rug. One gets up occasionally to get a dog biscuit from a pile on a chair across the shop, goes back to the rug and takes his time eating it. Neither dog ever tries to snatch the biscuit from the other, they know there are more where that came from.

Old stuffed deer heads on the walls, perforated targets, clippings from gun magazines, hunting photos of local big game taken by friends, family, and himself. A table overflowing with old outdoor magazines, a "William Tell'd" pair of arrows leaning on the wall.

I envy your situation.....can you get a shave there?

PbHurler
06-04-2019, 10:05 PM
Nice!!

Tom W.
06-05-2019, 12:44 AM
When I married Lori and moved to Phenix City it took me some years to find a barber shop that wasn't a beauty shop in disguise. I finally found one just about two miles away. A real barber shop with gun magazines on the table, guys that don't look like they want to kiss the customer, and people that know me well enough to know that I have a firearm when they see me...

osteodoc08
06-05-2019, 05:47 AM
One of my favorite things to do was go to the barber with my father. Old classic barber chair. The barber was getting older, white hair but hand as steady as granite. They’d even shave you there. There was something special about going to get a haircut with dad. Barber passed away about 5-6 years before dad did. Thanks for bringing back fond memories. It’s a shame that typenof shop is fading away into history.

waksupi
06-05-2019, 07:32 AM
I envy your situation.....can you get a shave there?

No, he just cuts hair.

Rick Hodges
06-05-2019, 07:37 AM
I had a barber shop like that....stuffed deer heads, shooting hunting magazines on the tables, the barber/owner was a die hard duck hunter and had ducks and geese on the wall as well. When he got older his daughter joined him cutting hair and finally Bob's heart gave out and he passed. The daughter hired another gal and the whole tenor of the place changed. Now we have unisex "Salons". Oh I'm armed, but nobody would show they are carrying for fear of giving the women the "vapors". Oh, they don't shave the back of the neck anymore either.....loved the feel of the hot lather even though Bob's hands got shaky near the end, and you were as likely to get nicked as not with that old straight razor. Sigh....miss those times.

Gewehr-Guy
06-05-2019, 07:39 AM
I been going to the same barbershop for 50+ years, but would change if yours was within 50 miles. One time went to the next small town as a kid and that was an old time barber shop right out of the 80's { 1880's } , old nickel plated and white porcelan barber chair, rows of framed arrow points on the walls, all found by the owner locally, and he let us little kids play with the minnows he kept in the old cast iron claw foot bathtub in the back room. Wish I could go back to small town America of my youth.

gwpercle
06-05-2019, 08:47 AM
I still have an old school barber shop to go to ....
But the barbers are slowly getting older and retiring ! They have two ladies cutting hair but I don't like how they cut mine .
My favorite male barber put a sign up that he would no longer be cutting on Saturday's ....writing on the wall...wont be long and he will be retiring...drats !!!!! I've been getting my hair cut there on Saturday mornings for 47 years ... I Hate Change !
I can break down and let the ladies cut it , shave it all off or just let it grow shoulder length...
I'm leaning towards the Arlo Guthrie look , get out my old guitar and start singing "Alice's Restaurant".....1967 was a great year ...yeah that's the ticket !
Gary

William Yanda
06-05-2019, 08:57 AM
I haven't been to a barber shop in years. I kind of miss it, but not today's prices! My wife cuts my hair. She just replaced the clippers for less than $30-the old ones got dropped. We figure the money saved on my haircuts supports her hair dresser. LOL

CastingFool
06-05-2019, 09:56 AM
I get my haircut at the most exclusive barbershop in town, and get great service. My daughter's house. I get a free haircut and get to spend some time with the grandkids. I also get lots of hugs and kisses from them.

MrWolf
06-05-2019, 10:16 AM
Told my kids gonna let my hair and beard grow till they come out to visit [smilie=1: Woman I am dating does all that stuff. Been together four months and still haven't asked her to cut it. Our joke is that I'm starting to look like Moses :groner:

Mica_Hiebert
06-05-2019, 10:47 AM
We have the "sportsman's barber shop" here with wall mounts and hunting magazines. The barber is retired and there are now two girls giving the hair cuts, male hair cut only and Im pretty sure that either of the girls there would not care if one where concealed carrying but I'm definitely not going to show them my gun. Lol

Texas by God
06-05-2019, 01:30 PM
Hair free since '03- but I fondly remember the barbershop experience.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

LUBEDUDE
06-05-2019, 02:25 PM
I have a handful of barbershops within a few miles but don’t go to any of them. Instead I drive 30 miles to go to an old school one in another town. It’s got the atmosphere, gun talk, and straight razor shave on the back of the neck- with hot lather of course. And my barber is a woman. It sounds like she wouldn’t fit in, but she does.

My ex would seriously accuse me of having an affair since I drove so far to go to a female barber. She just couldn’t grasp the importance and novelty of an old school barbershop.

Mtnfolk75
06-05-2019, 06:09 PM
We have the "sportsman's barber shop" here with wall mounts and hunting magazines. The barber is retired and there are now two girls giving the hair cuts, male hair cut only and Im pretty sure that either of the girls there would not care if one where concealed carrying but I'm definitely not going to show them my gun. Lol

I know your Sheriff, he wouldn’t mind :D

Tom W.
06-05-2019, 10:18 PM
$9 for a haircut for "seniors" isn't bad at all. I see it more as a finder's fee......

My regular barber there quit for a while, but his wife suddenly passed away and get couldn't stand being home alone all day, so came back. There were two busty good looking blondes there when I started going, but I didn't like the way they cut my hair, so now I just wait for my regular barber.

And the blondes went elsewhere.......bye bye eye candy.....

richhodg66
06-06-2019, 08:29 AM
It's been years but I remember Kalispell being a nice place. It would almost be worth a road trip up there just to get a hair cut.

The barber shop that cut my hair as a kid was kind of like that, all men and did have the barbers eight or nine pound largemouth on the wall. I went off to college and then the Army, but went back there when my oldest son got his first hair cut at about ten months of age and had Mr. Jimmy cut it, we even videoed it. He was getting old then, and it's been 25 years now. My folks moved out of there and I haven't been back to that town in almost as long.

waksupi
06-06-2019, 10:41 AM
It's been years but I remember Kalispell being a nice place. It would almost be worth a road trip up there just to get a hair cut.

The barber shop that cut my hair as a kid was kind of like that, all men and did have the barbers eight or nine pound largemouth on the wall. I went off to college and then the Army, but went back there when my oldest son got his first hair cut at about ten months of age and had Mr. Jimmy cut it, we even videoed it. He was getting old then, and it's been 25 years now. My folks moved out of there and I haven't been back to that town in almost as long.

It's changed a lot over the years. It's twice as big as when I moved here. It's been "discovered", and land prices have gone insane.

white eagle
06-06-2019, 10:49 AM

good barbers are hard to find

woodbutcher
06-06-2019, 10:53 PM
:lol: Reminds me of the barber shop I went to growing up.No one carried,BUT,behind each barber,WW2 vets all,were gun racks.There was:
1 M1 carbine
1 M2 carbine
2 M1 Garands complete with the bayonets with NO sheaths.
Never any trouble there.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

Rick Hodges
06-07-2019, 10:27 AM
I enjoyed getting the back of my neck shaved, but I think I might have balked if they started stropping one of those bayonets. :roll::roll:

KCSO
06-07-2019, 10:47 AM
Darn and I had to make and appointment last week for the Hair Dresser? Our barber dies 5 years ago last one in the county!

woodbutcher
06-08-2019, 10:34 AM
:lol: Hi Rick.Yep.That would have been interesting.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo