PDA

View Full Version : Some questions and advice requested for a .480 Ruger in a 7.5" SRH

LEADLUBBER
06-04-2019, 01:12 AM
Greetings all,

I am looking into doing some casting possibly or buying already cast bullets and reloading them to more affordably shoot a very nice Ruger SRH that I just acquired in .480 Ruger.

I used a set of plug gauges yesterday and found that all of my cylinder bores were in the .478 range. Some of them were semi-snug, and some were looser, yet, a .479 gauge would not fit in any of them. First question, should I get a .4785 reamer and make sure all are reamed to that spec, or just leave it alone and KISS.

My second question is, which molds for .475 boolits will throw a .478 or .479 unsized bullet using Wheel Weight lead?

Is Buckshot the member who still makes custom sizing dies?

I have a PM into MIHA, but I don't know if he will have any more of the 477-640HP Cramer molds available.

Looking around at already made lead bullets shows most are sized to .475 or .476.

I would like to be able to utilize one mold, and just modify my loads to go from easy shootin' Target-grade pow-pows to super smoking Big-Bangers for longer range targets and possibly hunting!

Thanks to all for the kindness in advance

fredj338
06-04-2019, 03:07 PM
Over sized throats are better than undersized, though I am surprised the Ruger is that far over. I found my BH were usually right on or slightly smaller. I don't think uniforming a larger than bore dia would be helpful, but probably not hurt anything either. My last RBH in 45colt had 0.4505" throats. I opened them all to 0.452", much better accuracy & less leading with softer lubed lead bullets sized 0.452".
Final cast diameter will depend on alloy & casting temp, so hard to get an exact as cast size. Again, better a bit larger so you can size down. I would be happy with a cast size of 0.477", PC will add another 0.001"+.

megasupermagnum
06-04-2019, 03:19 PM
.003" over is nothing to worry about. DougGuy is the one you want to ask, but I wouldn't uniform the throats until you see how it shoots. Size to .478", and you will have no problems.

blue32
06-04-2019, 10:21 PM
I got my Accurate 48-325P yesterday. I specified .478 and it throws at least that with range scrap, .479 with 1:3 Lino to range scrap. Still saving up for the SBH.

LEADLUBBER
06-05-2019, 12:32 AM
Thanks all!

Sounds like I will leave the cylinder alone for now and try it out. I am not expecting great accuracy out of the Hornady 325gr. XTP factory loads that I hope to go shoot this weekend, if everything works out well.

So, I have spoken with MIHEC about the 477-640HP (410gr. Flat nose/385gr. Hollow Point) Cramer mold, and he still has both molds with and without the gas check base available(with Flat nose and Hollow points for the molds).

I am thinking the mold without the gas check will probably work fine, and I already have 30lbs of wheel weight lead left, and it seems that most of these loads won't surpass 1250fps anyways, so I don't "think" leading will be an issue.... Sounds like with the right lube and a smooth bore with good rifling, I wouldn't ever have a leading issue.

What are the thoughts of those here?

Greg S
06-05-2019, 10:12 AM
You should be fine. I've got a 475 so i picked up a gc mold and size @ .476 for a Freedom Arms. I cast 80% coww and 20% lead. The MiHec mold is nice.

LEADLUBBER
06-05-2019, 11:16 PM
Thank You Greg S, I think I will move forward with a .478 non-gas-check mold.