PDA

View Full Version : Sizer/Luber - Which one?

snowwolfe
12-08-2005, 05:51 PM
Now that several members have helped me obtain some wheel weight alloy I am ready to buy a sizer. I plan to cast bullets for my 44 mags, 500 S&W, and possibly down the road for my 416 Rem and 458 Lott.
I have learned a long time ago not to purchase inexpensive equipment. Let me hear from you folks.
What is the best sizer/luber out there?

The Nyack Kid
12-08-2005, 06:23 PM
the very best non-commercial is by far and away the Star Luber/sizer . they aint cheap ( bout $ 200 naked) though they are about 2 to three times faster than a in/out luber/sizer. next in line would be ether the Saeco or RCBS , i have a saeco and i say it is the better of the two . some-one with a RCBS might disagree . the saeco has two alinement rods Vs the one that the lyman & rcbs has plus IMO it is built a little stouter that the outer two . a base heater isn't really needed but the do come in handy.

Junior1942
12-08-2005, 06:26 PM
You might discover that the inexpensive Lee sizers are all you need. Plus some Lee Liquid Alox.

snowwolfe
12-09-2005, 06:25 PM
Anyone else? Or do you guys just shoot the boolits unsized?

SharpsShooter
12-09-2005, 07:19 PM
I shoot all my BPCR boolits unsized. I use a Lyman 45 lube sizer with a .460 size die. My boolots fall from the mould at .459, so they don't get sized, just lubed. Prior to buying the lyman 45 i just pan lubed the boolits and it works just fine.

Marc2
12-09-2005, 07:23 PM
I have both the Star (Magma) and the RCBS. IMHO the Star is by far the superior design with its nose first system. The Star only requires one top punch per caliber. Its the fastest of the two and has an output of almost twice that of the RCBS with plan base bullets and about 50% more than the RCBS when using gas check bullets.
Keep in mind that on the Star the lube holes in the die must line up with the lube grooves on the bullet. If you have three rows of holes on a Star die and a two groove bullet then one row of holes must be plugged with shot. Not so on the RCBS which seems to work on a pass by system. Other than that the only advantage of the RCBS is price.

Marc In VA.

AnthonyB
12-09-2005, 10:17 PM
I have two Stars and one Lyman 450. Since I got the Stars the Lyman has been used only for nose-first sizing of small lots of boolits that don't justify the purchase of dies for the Stars. One is set up for Felix lube, and the other holds my bastardized Felix/Magma green hard lube (had to find some way to use a LOT of hard lube). The Stars are more expensive, but well worth the price. Changing dies is not as much a PITA as many folks believe, especially if you take note of the top punch setting. I can't recommend the Star highly enough if the cash is available. Tony

snowwolfe
12-09-2005, 11:29 PM
Where can a person purchase the star?

The Nyack Kid
12-09-2005, 11:40 PM
Magma enginering ..... somthing like that i cant spell to save my life .they have a web page.

Lee W
12-10-2005, 07:54 AM
I used a friends 450 for the first 2000 boolits I cast. I got the Star soon after.

http://www.magmaengr.com/item.php?id=24

Good people to deal with. Mary is very helpful

Hardcast
12-10-2005, 10:31 AM
I own 2 Lymans and an RCBS. But, I just started using a NIB Star that I bought on an internet auction last year, and it is far superior to the Lymans and RCBS. The Star sizes nose first so the quality of sizing is better. You can size/lube bevel base bullets without getting lube all over the base. It is far faster and overall quality is just plain way better than the Lyman/RCBS.

Here is the webpage: http://www.magmaengr.com/

The lubesizer pictured on the home page has a heater and the pressure thingy, I don't know what it's called, but they are not included in the $195.00 retail price.

Lloyd Smale
12-10-2005, 06:02 PM
star is the best one out there

rbwillnj
12-14-2005, 12:39 AM
Ditto