PDA

View Full Version : Micro-Precision press is coming to me.

retread
06-01-2019, 08:45 PM
Saw this on ebay and had to get it. Looks like my CH press but three station like CH made. The only real difference I can see is the location of the handle (towards the middle instead of outside the frame like the CH). Interesting looking seating dies. I will be interested to see how the compare to my RCBS precision dies (one each .22, .27and .30).

I researched it a bit and the company is still listed but they now produce circuit boards. Some folks that I read said they think it might have spun off to another division and some say possibly Blair. Any more thought would be appreciated.

Jay

RED BEAR
06-01-2019, 09:19 PM
Well i have never heard of them but it sure looks sturdy enough hope you will enjoy.

Markopolo
06-01-2019, 10:10 PM
Wow.. those are interesting... perhaps pressman has some input?

Pressman
06-02-2019, 07:33 PM
Micro Precision began as the Schissel press. Two brothers in Cherokee, Iowa decided to get into the reloading tool business in 1959. Their first press was a cast iron C press with upstroke linkage. Thinking ahead they formed Micro-Precision and began to expand the line of tools. They had some innovative ideas for case trimmers and dies.
The company was sold to Bair after the split from Pacific. Most of the tools were dropped except the C press and the 3 station H press. The H press remained in the Bair line till the end around 1978, give or take.

Ken

jaguarxk120
06-02-2019, 08:22 PM
It's not the press, but rather those Vickerman seating dies.
Straight line seating for any cartridge that fits the die, that is 22, 270, 30 calibers.

A great buy.

Wayne Smith
06-02-2019, 08:40 PM
Interesting. My Brown Bair has the handle on the outside too. The shape of the top and bottom looks very similar.

retread
06-03-2019, 12:12 AM
Pressman, Thanks for the info. Nice to know the history of the older presses that we run across. And thank you Jaguarxk120 for identifying the Vickerman dies.

Jay

retread
06-03-2019, 12:15 AM
Pressman, Thanks for the info. Nice to know the history of the older presses that we run across. And thank you Jaguarxk120 for identifying the Vickerman dies. I am anxiously waiting for its arrival!

Jay

jaguarxk120
06-04-2019, 08:11 AM
Vickerman dies are still made. Straight line seating, and a window to insert the bullet.

Start seating the bullet then rotate the cartridge 180 Deg. and finish seating.
The dies are made by caliber, not cartridge. So the 30 die will seat bullets for any
30 caliber cartridge.

rmantoo
06-17-2019, 01:32 PM
Vickerman dies are still made. Straight line seating, and a window to insert the bullet.

Start seating the bullet then rotate the cartridge 180 Deg. and finish seating.
The dies are made by caliber, not cartridge. So the 30 die will seat bullets for any
30 caliber cartridge.

Just went to their site: Those are pretty dang cool looking. I ordered one for my creedmoor: Very curious about using them.

1hole
06-20-2019, 06:52 PM
Just went to their site: Those are pretty dang cool looking. I ordered one for my creedmoor: Very curious about using them.

I have two Vickerman seaters and one more of that type, there are valid reasons they didn't last long in the market. Vickermans look cool but they seat little - if any - straighter than conventional dies. For accuracy, you would be far ahead with a Forster BR or Redding Competition seater.