PDA

View Full Version : Parting with a 1911A1

varsity07840
06-01-2019, 05:27 PM
If this question is taboo, I apologize in advance. If you were a vintage 1911A1 owner looking to sell, what venue would you use to get what the firearm is worth? GB has way too many listed at least as I see it. There's a gun show here in North Carolina every three months or so, but I don't want to sell it cheap just to have a dealer flip it. My father carried it for all 59 missions he flew in WW2. I have no children of my own. My two step daughters, both great kids, understandably have no interest and my step son is not responsible enough to own any firearm. Eventually it's going to have to go. Constructive suggestions will be welcomed and appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

DougGuy
06-01-2019, 06:14 PM
PM sent

stubshaft
06-01-2019, 06:57 PM
GB does have a lot of ads, but it is also the first place I check. Simpsons is pretty good as well as Gunlist.

Bazoo
06-01-2019, 07:03 PM
Maybe you could find someone here who would appreciate the gun and related stories.

rfd
06-01-2019, 07:07 PM
man, does that pistol have Major History!!! 242822242822

DougGuy
06-01-2019, 07:45 PM
I would want it because of it's authenticity and provenance, not to resell.

Der Gebirgsjager
06-01-2019, 08:41 PM
You could see what the current issue of "The Bluebook Of Gun Values" has to say. It is published yearly, and the values are based upon observed sales in various parts of the country. It doesn't say what sales in what parts of the country, and a certain model of firearm sold in Mississippi may be worth less than the same gun sold in Colorado. But, it's a good place to start.

The military use by your father is kind of an intangible. It is worth far less without some sort of documentation. Ideally, your father would have left a letter identifying the pistol by make and serial number, and a handwritten statement of when and where it was used. Next best would be a similar statement by yourself containing the same information and the fact that you received this from your father and this is what he said. A letter from the Colt factory (if it is a Colt) would also assist in the authentication and sale, but if it's not a Colt, i.e. Remington Rand, Ithaca, etc., I don't know what to advise you. There are, however, serial number production lists for all of the wartime 1911 manufacturers, and no matter the brand it can be authenticated to a certain year.

Also important in determining the value of the pistol is its condition. A pistol having provenance (confirmed history) in excellent condition will be worth more than the same pistol in poor condition, so this will also effect the value.

As already suggested by others, the on-line auctions are a good place to start. However, you won't be able to derive a fair value until you've hung back and observed auctions for your type of pistol over several months. You'll find that there is a median price for almost any gun of any model at which they will eventually sell, whereas those priced lower will sell quickly, and those priced above the median will rarely sell. Once you establish that price, then you can add a premium for it's documented history.

There are people in the firearms business that can appraise your piece, but they don't do it for free. Sometimes auction houses can recommend an appraiser.

Good luck with your sale.

DG

Bazoo
06-01-2019, 08:55 PM
If you could find others that served with your dad, if they are still alive, or maybe their kids, would value it if it was carried by a member of their/their dad's squadron.

varsity07840
06-01-2019, 08:59 PM
It is a Colt. 1943.

TNsailorman
06-01-2019, 09:40 PM
Most dealers are only going to offer you 60 to 70(at most) % of its value. I would seriously consider an auction house. You are more likely to get a better price there than selling it on a regular auction site like GB. Make sure you find an approximate value as you are doing now and put a reserve on it. That pistol really should be in a Museum, preferably a World War II Museum. my .02 anyway. james

charlie b
06-01-2019, 09:47 PM
I had the same problem. Dad's stuff, like an Japanese NCO sword and pistol. I donated them to a local military museum. I included my Army saber since they didn't have one of them either.

If you have some documentation about your Dad's service you should put it together with the pistol and any other stuff he had. See if there is a museum or WWII memorial or such in your Dad's home town (or at least the one he left to go to war). You might contact the local VFW and see if they can help.

If you need the money then you are better off taking your time and finding the right venue to sell it. A good auction house that deals in such stuff would be a good place to start.

historicfirearms
06-01-2019, 09:50 PM
Lots of US military collectors on the CMP forum. They have a classifieds section too. But I'd list it here first.

Winger Ed.
06-01-2019, 09:52 PM
A couple of sentimental, heirloom firearms I had for awhile, I gave to my younger sister so she could enjoy them too.

I had my Grandfathers Colt revolver he carried as a Lawman for 40 years.
I never needed money so bad I had to sell it.
I got more value than the full retail price by giving it away.

Plus, I'd never feel bad if someone asked me, "Hey, have you still got Grand Pop's badge & pistol"?

Bigslug
06-01-2019, 10:49 PM
It is a Colt. 1943.

You have a couple things working for you:

A 1943 Colt was my Holy Grail / Unicorn gun for about 20-25 years when I finally came into an unissued one. For 1943, they still had all of the older production "nice touches" (slide serialized to frame under the firing pin stop; beavertail hammer; checkered mainspring housing, safety, and slide stop; and if I remember right, mine has a one-piece milled trigger), but that year also added the final improvements of hardening around the slide notches and of the slide nose; Parkerizing, and the slightly wider front sight and square rear notch replacing the '42 and older, nearly invisible thumbnail/u-notch combo. They're a nice combination of features. 1944 was when the flat-side hammers and serrated parts started to show up, and serialization of the slides went away to speed production.

Since your Dad's gun is a bring-back, there's a very good chance it's all correct and not (as most), a mixmaster. The "you get what we give you" guns coming out of the CMP by all reports went through numerous re-builds between 1945 and the 1980's, and those are getting about a grand, IIRC, sight unseen.

Bazoo's got a good point - the story behind the gun should in some way go with it, as best as you can reconstruct it. I've got a '44 Colt that has obviously seen combat, but know nothing about it beyond the guy I bought it from, who knew about the same. It might not add monetary value to the gun, but it might help it move.

Stand by for PM.

Texas by God
06-01-2019, 11:15 PM
Raffle it off- sell 100 tickets at $20 per ticket.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

CLAYPOOL
06-01-2019, 11:22 PM
I would be PROUD to have it here. I have tried to buy Remington Rand's, Ithaca's, ETC. I finally got a Remington Rand that had been "SLIVERED FINISHED" or something like that. Can remember they being high for my pocket in late 60's + 70's... Still trying and hoping. I buy all kinds of stuff on Gun BROKER, to keep.

Love Life
06-01-2019, 11:33 PM
Go to the 1911 forum to the military pistol section. Post pictures there. That is where I believe you’ll get your best information.

samari46
06-02-2019, 01:41 AM
I would well document all his history with that 1911A1 and your fathers use of it. Provance will go a long way in helping you in selling or finding someone who will appreciate it. I have a 1943 Ithaca that I got from my general foreman many years ago. That and the book he authored along with that pistol if I should sell will have a better chance of getting more money as If I just sold it over the counter. I'm in the same boat as you. No one expressed any interest in getting any of my guns. Although SIL #1 when asked said he'd take what was given. SIL #2 hasn't said a word. Frank

Butler Ford
06-02-2019, 02:57 AM
Maybe this can help get you in the ball park: https://www.tactical-life.com/news/cmp-surplus-1911-pistol-pricing-ordering/

rfd
06-02-2019, 06:33 AM
provenance documentation will be key in order to command the highest price tag, no matter what the condition.

Petrol & Powder
06-11-2019, 06:56 AM
Find a museum that wants it.

tejano
06-12-2019, 11:40 AM
Try Collectors Firearms in Houston. Tell them the story and include photos of the pistol. Good luck.

TCLouis
06-12-2019, 09:18 PM
With a history like that it needs to go to a museum, or military collector, not just some 1911 aficionado.

Jtarm
06-13-2019, 12:13 AM
Please do not go by Blue Book values. I can’t speak to 1911s, but on S&W revolvers, where I have some knowledge, their valuations are what I’d expect a pawn broker to offer.

The copy I bought should’ve been on the Science Fiction/Fantasy aisle.

I have my dad’s RR 1911A1. Outstanding condition. He was a WWII Navy vet, but it’s not a bring-back.

Sig556r
06-13-2019, 09:24 AM
Try Collectors Firearms in Houston. Tell them the story and include photos of the pistol. Good luck.

Been there recently for their annual summer sale...they're more interested in profit (low ball your trade) than listening to story...