PDA

View Full Version : WTB: Lee old Lee Turret press OP Rod 3 die type

HeavyMetal
06-01-2019, 05:16 PM
Gentleman:
I just acquired an older Lee Turret press set up for the three die set rather than the newer four die sets.

Problem: it is complete except for the rod that turns the turret! No longer available, I think, so I thought I'd see if anybody had a spare, or wasn't needing the rod to turn the turret?

Not looking for a freebie, I'll pay for both the part and shipping, just want to give a complete press to a friend, however if I can't find the old school rod I guess I'll have to convert this to the four die set up, just didn't want to spend the bucks if I didn't have to.

I thank you guys in advance for taking the time to look through your old reloading stuff.

HM

myg30
06-01-2019, 05:37 PM
HM, not sure if you looked here.?

https://www.titanreloading.com/lee-precision-reloading-equipment/lee-service-parts/turret-press-parts

I’m not exactly sure what the part your missing looks like.
Mike

HeavyMetal
06-01-2019, 06:41 PM
Mike
I've got a lot of parts from Titan but the parts for the original three die turret have gone the why of the Dinosaur!

I will call Titan Monday to be sure but will be offered the 4 die conversion I'm pretty sure.

That's way the post thinking I might get lucky, I hope!

HM

15meter
06-01-2019, 07:15 PM
Don't have the rod, but I have a 3 die turret that could be had for shipping plus maybe a beer or two's worth of cash.....

Think Lee only made one version of this.

tomme boy
06-01-2019, 08:31 PM
Make it yourself. 1/4" square stock and twist it till it indexes how you want

Springfield
06-01-2019, 08:49 PM
Except is isn't square stock, it is a triangle. in my experience the newer square style holds up much better, the 3 sided always ended up stripping out on me.

deltaenterprizes
06-01-2019, 10:34 PM
I have one, if I can find it!

HeavyMetal
06-01-2019, 10:50 PM
send me a PM if you find it.

JonB_in_Glencoe
06-02-2019, 12:07 AM
Mike
I've got a lot of parts from Titan but the parts for the original three die turret have gone the why of the Dinosaur!

I will call Titan Monday to be sure but will be offered the 4 die conversion I'm pretty sure.

That's way the post thinking I might get lucky, I hope!

HM

First, The Rod is hex (6 sided), not square or triangle.
Second, Lee doesn't make the 4 die conversion kit anymore, and I bet Titan won't have any laying around.
Third, there are other parts needed, besides the Hex rod, to make the old style index function.
Lastly, if you have all the other index parts and just need the Hex rod, I believe Lee still sells the Hex rod for the Pro1000. It is longer, but I've heard of other people modifying them to work on the indexing turret press.
https://www.titanreloading.com/pro-1000-parts/lee-tr2438-action-rod

toallmy
06-02-2019, 06:51 AM
Lee had a deal a while back , wear you send in your old 3 hole turret press and they would sell you a new 4 hole one that indexed at half price .

6bg6ga
06-02-2019, 07:23 AM
Someday some of you will learn if you polish a turn your never going to get it to shine.

curiousgeorge
06-02-2019, 08:42 AM
Might want to think about using it the way it is without the rod. I have one of the 3 hole turret presses and fought the automatic turning for several years. After a short time the little plastic bushing would strip. One day I finally said the heck with the rod and bushing. Just took them out and put back in the box and started turning by hand.
With 3 Dillon 550's, Star Universal, and RCBS Piggyback, I don't use this for heavy reloading. It is the quickest and easiest way to run small batches of experimental loads or some rifle cases. All .45-70, .444 Marlin, and .38-55 are loaded on this little workhorse.
If this press is to be used for volume pistol loading, might want to consider changing to 4 hole version. But for small volume usage, turning the head by hand isn't really a big handicap.
Just my thoughts.
Steve

str8wal
06-02-2019, 11:07 AM
Might want to think about using it the way it is without the rod.

That's what I do. It is essentially a single stage that allows quick changeovers since the dies remain in each turret.

HeavyMetal
06-02-2019, 12:17 PM
just to clear up a few things: this press is not for me, I already have more than I need, but is being offered to my friend/ co worker who is just starting to reload very lightly.

As such giving him a complete Lee turret press gives him the option to learn what he does and doesn't like about the press as he learns, hope that makes sense.

Since he's not ready to look at cast yet the three die press makes sense for him and, as he learns we know how addicting reloading can be!

Haven't talked to Titan yet but plan to Monday, Thought about the parts from a Pro 1000 but unsure if the length is the same so I planed to ask as well as what may be available for the 4 die conversion if it's an option.

Lots going on at Lee with both the turret press and the Pro 1000 and Lee doesn't waste time dumping old unit parts and no longer will make them, which means that sooner or later you'll have to buy a new one rather than be able to fix the old one.

For now I want to thank everyone for there input and I'll find the part I need.

HM

toallmy
06-02-2019, 12:24 PM
The 3 hole lee is what I started with in the mid 80s without index , help him set up the dies and he will get the feel of loading his own . Don't forget a decent used scale .
Good job.

Wishbone
06-03-2019, 08:38 PM
Gentleman:
I just acquired an older Lee Turret press set up for the three die set rather than the newer four die sets.

Problem: it is complete except for the rod that turns the turret! No longer available, I think, so I thought I'd see if anybody had a spare, or wasn't needing the rod to turn the turret?

Not looking for a freebie, I'll pay for both the part and shipping, just want to give a complete press to a friend, however if I can't find the old school rod I guess I'll have to convert this to the four die set up, just didn't want to spend the bucks if I didn't have to.

I thank you guys in advance for taking the time to look through your old reloading stuff.

HM

Found one in my stash. PM your addy to me and its yours. Not worried about shipping or cost. Glad I could help. Let me know, Gil

Hootmix
06-04-2019, 09:58 AM
Now this is why I love this " FORUM " ,, good man " Wishbone ".

coffee's ready ,, Hootmix.

HeavyMetal
06-04-2019, 08:12 PM
first I'd like to thank everybody that responded to this thread, I know have a couple rods headed my and a big THANKS to those who provided them, hope I get the chance to help some one thats needs it!

Again Thanks to all!

HM

RogerDat
06-05-2019, 04:08 PM
For what it is worth I only index for well proven and established loads where I have a powder through die and the powder dispenser on the turret. Otherwise I don't use the index rod very much at all. Doing 50 or less I just use a powder measure on the side along with a scale and use press as a single stage press without the index rod.

So some stuff like .223 or a big batch of a 38 special plinking ammo the index rod is in. 50 rounds of 303 British? Probably not. For a new reloader I would leave the index rod out and have them do one die through all the cases, turn the turret and do the next step through all the cases. The pre-set feature of a turret is very nice on its own even without the index. Do one thing repeatedly gives one a feel for when it is right, and a chance to inspect each round at each operation. Both good reasons to do single stage at the start.

At this forum I'm not surprised someone came along to hook you up with what you needed.