PDA

View Full Version : WTB: S&W Model 10

Mr_Sheesh
06-01-2019, 06:21 AM
Hey all.

Friend used to have a 4" or 5" M10 and it was just plain fun to shoot.

I'd prefer a 6" or 5" bull barrel, but can consider others. 4" barrel would work, just looks odd in my Yeti hands! (I bought a decent holster for a 6" M10 already, so 4" wouldn't really fit right.) If you have a 6" M10 barrel, I do have a line on a shooter M10 for reasonable, but would want to swap in that longer barrel, so that's definitely of interest to me too.

Looking for an inexpensive shooter, not a safe queen, so if your gun's in perfect condition it may be too pricey for my budget! I do want good mechanical performance, but if the grip's messed up or chipped or whatever, or the bluing's worn off, don't really care. I can cold blue it if I get bored some winter night :P

It'd have to be able to be shipped to a local FFL by me, first time I'll have dealt with them so I am not 100% sure they do private citizens to their location, we can discuss it if you have something.

Probably going to mainly shoot 148 grain WCs in this, not hot loads, just a fun "toy" :)

Thanks all - Shoot safely!

Hickory
06-01-2019, 06:35 AM
One of the most accurate guns I have ever shot (and there have been several) was a standard S&W model 10. One of the most underrated handguns out there.

Mr_Sheesh
06-01-2019, 07:13 AM
And definitely fun. Should do for "Yard Varmints" if not carrying the .30-30, too. Just sad that that friend wouldn't sell me his LOL

Petrol & Powder
06-01-2019, 07:28 AM
The S&W Model 10 is iconic.

There are some excellent ones out there. The 6" barrels aren't as common as the 4" and the 5" tubes are quite rare.
The bull barrel makes the gun "hang" a little better with its muzzle forward weight but never discount the tapered barrel models; they will shoot just as well !

I can't help you with a model 10 right now, mine are not for sale.

I can't remember a time when I didn't have at least one 4" K-frame in the safe. It's an American Classic.

starnbar
06-01-2019, 07:40 AM
Have you looked at the taurus copy its not a bad piece and the ones I have handled were decent shooters

Petrol & Powder
06-01-2019, 08:28 AM
The Taurus copy is the Taurus Model 82 and I've seen some of the older ones that were decent guns. The Model 82 is a fairly faithful copy of the S&W M10 however some of the action parts are not the same style.

If you don't mind taking the chance, J&G sales has a 4" HB Model 10's listed for $329. Those guns are re-imports with CAI stamps.
You're getting a "pig in a poke" when you deal with J&G sales but sometimes you get lucky.

I recently acquired a Model 10 with a Century Arms import stamp (that one didn't come through J&G sales) and the gun was like new. If it had been fired at all, it was only a few times and it really might have been un-fired. I purchased it sight unseen because the price was right and it was in the configuration I was seeking. I don't know which country it had been sent to originally but it saw virtually no use before coming back to the U.S.A.

There aren't as many police trade-in Model 10's on the used market as there were back in the 1980's & 1990's but you still come across them from time to time after they passed through a few owners. They are still plentiful on the used market but some folks over price them.

In the grand scheme, there were FAR more model 10's made with 4" barrels than with 6" barrels. Finding a good, affordable model 10 with a 6" barrel may prove to be a bit challenging. The 5" barreled models are downright hard to find. The people that have them generally know what they have and either will not sell them or will ask for a high price (and rightly so).

Texas by God
06-01-2019, 09:20 AM
Aim Surplus has m64 HB 4” police trade ins for $399. A little steep but worth it IMO. I had a Barney Fife 6” m10 for a bit and a 5” but I always gravitate back to the 4” ones. Best revolver ever.

Greg S
06-01-2019, 02:17 PM
Best 160 bucks I ever spent about ten years ago. Looking for a 64 to chop to 3", RB, 1911 dovetail font sight and some machine work to add a quasi Novakish rear sight to similar to the S&W Js. Good luck in your search.

bedbugbilly
06-01-2019, 02:19 PM
Check with Bud's Guns - a while back they had some trade in M10s IIRC.

I have a M & P with a 5" barrel - born the same year I was - in 38 spa. Great shooter and I could only one one, it would be it. Good luck on your search!

Mr_Sheesh
06-01-2019, 02:20 PM
Yeppers. Ammoseek showed me that J&G Sales price & I was thinking with the "hand select" option; Looking at Aim Surplus too though. Just was sorta hoping someone had a shooter here, maybe.

Der Gebirgsjager
06-01-2019, 02:43 PM
Great revolver to own. I've got 3, more or less all the same. Bought one for $76.50 back in the middle 1960s, still in the box unfired. So a couple of years ago I had the desire to shoot one, but since the original had been unfired for so long I decided to keep it that way, and purchased one over the internet from a retired NY policeman who was going into a nursing home. When I got it, it looked as good as the first, so I haven't gotten around to shooting it yet. Then, about 3 months ago, I ran across another very nice one, but it has a place on the side of the cylinder that is missing some finish and some holster wear on the muzzle, etc. Just what I was looking for! All 4 inch barrels, as they are the handiest. These are truly great revolvers, and I'll bet that someday it will be as difficult to find one as it is to find a nice 1851 Colt Navy today. You're right to get one while you can. The only thing that beats it in my opinion is the Model 15 because of the adjustable sights.

Mr_Sheesh
06-01-2019, 04:28 PM
I've shot N Frames more than the M10 but either is great fun :) Worst case I suppose a 4" barrel will fit in the 6" holster, just be a smidge odd :P (We do need to go easy on discussion tho, in WTB posts LOL)

Der Gebirgsjager
06-01-2019, 05:02 PM
Oh..sorry, I missed that it was in the WTB section. Hope your search is successful! :-o

Ohio Rusty
06-01-2019, 07:13 PM
You might also consider the Model 13 if one of those comes along at the right price. That isw the blued, heavy barrel model that shoots .357. You don't have to shoot .357's from it. I carried one for many years as my duty weapon and it was very accurate and always reliable.
Ohio Rusty ><>