PDA

View Full Version : 2nd try Blooming Onion

DCP
05-31-2019, 10:22 AM
1st try was baked
2nd try was deep fried

It was delicious made with a Vidalia onion
It was a little too greasy and lost its shape (we don't know why)
It was no greasier than when she fried onion rings in a cast iron skillet (which is a lot less work)

Bulldogger
05-31-2019, 10:28 AM
Looks like a good effort. I have been thinking of trying my hand at one as well, but have never gotten round to it. I assume a nice firm onion is important, along with not cutting too deeply down so it can keep some of its shape. I'd be interested in seeing more attempts, though at some time I'm going to have to try myself I concede.

BDGR

Tripplebeards
05-31-2019, 10:35 AM
Hello 3000 calories!!! It looks like a heart attack waiting to happen, but it looks delicious! lol

DCP
05-31-2019, 10:54 AM
Looks like a good effort. I have been thinking of trying my hand at one as well, but have never gotten round to it. I assume a nice firm onion is important, along with not cutting too deeply down so it can keep some of its shape. I'd be interested in seeing more attempts, though at some time I'm going to have to try myself I concede.

BDGR

FYI Onion was firm and wasn't cut too deep and look perfect until it was deep fried. We followed the recipe very closely.
It said to cut out core to 90% that seems to be a little deep. We were at 80% the only deviation.
Now we are going to look at different recipes

country gent
05-31-2019, 03:40 PM
Maybe a little different temp on the oil. Oil temp is important as is time deep frying. to hot or to long and the onion starts to soften

Winger Ed.
05-31-2019, 04:54 PM
Looks good.
I'd try deep frying with the oil on the hot side, 375-400 for just long enough to brown it.

Also- Recipes that include cornstarch in with the breading flour tend to have a little extra crunch factor.

Markopolo
05-31-2019, 05:18 PM
Oil ain’t hot enough... needs to really really hot to get hold things together, otherwise you get a limp noodle..

DCP
05-31-2019, 05:45 PM
0il was 375 no cornstarch 3 min a side. The wife said it looked good until she took it out the 2nd side.

woodbutcher
06-01-2019, 12:56 PM
:shock:[smilie=s: Hi DCP.The onions will continue to look like that until you start to deep fry them.One side at a time just will not work,as you have found out.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

DCP
06-01-2019, 08:04 PM
:shock:[smilie=s: Hi DCP.The onions will continue to look like that until you start to deep fry them.One side at a time just will not work,as you have found out.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

This is what we did

TO DEEP FRY THE ONION:
In a deep fryer with enough oil to completely cover the onion. The oil must be 375 degrees, use a thermometer to ensure the correct temperature. Drop the onion root side up into the oil and fry for three minutes, flip it over and fry for 3 more minutes.

Thundarstick
06-02-2019, 06:49 AM
Your heat source also needs to be able to keep up with what you've dumped in the hot grease.

6bg6ga
06-02-2019, 07:16 AM
Anybody have the original coating recipe for making a Blooming onion?