PDA

View Full Version : Slicking up an 1886 action?

Kev18
05-30-2019, 08:32 PM
What would be some parts I could slick up in my 1886 to make the action smoother? I know people say " where ever there's rub marks" but id need something more precise. I know 1873's have spring tension screws. I dont think an '86 has one.

Ps: Its an original made in 1888.

Greg S
05-30-2019, 11:53 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?375357-Browning-1886-lifter-question

Slicking up the carrier hook and cartridge carrier did wonders smoothing up the action of my 1886.

indian joe
05-31-2019, 07:17 AM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?375357-Browning-1886-lifter-question

Slicking up the carrier hook and cartridge carrier did wonders smoothing up the action of my 1886.

yep carrier hook and lifter slot
the mainspring on my Chiappa was way heavy - made a new one of those -
Ejector spring is too much too but have not changed that yet - how far over your shoulder do the empties go?
Thinking about rounding the front corners of the locking bolts but only that part that protrudes above the slot when its closed up.
Drive it like ya stole it is part of the deal with an 86 - they are clunky at slow speed but - smoother the harder you go.

Kev18
05-31-2019, 06:22 PM
Il try these out. See how it goes. Does anyone know of an easy way to line up the bolt pieces when sliding in the lever? The lever, extractor, firing pin, and something else... all need to be aligned.

Texas by God
05-31-2019, 07:09 PM
Put on a movie. Mute the sound to read the closed caption. Cycle your action for the entire movie. Do it every night for a week and you’ll slick it up nicely. Then oil it. I did this to a 92 clone which is similar to your 1886 and it was the slickest little .357 lever around.

Kev18
05-31-2019, 07:59 PM
Put on a movie. Mute the sound to read the closed caption. Cycle your action for the entire movie. Do it every night for a week and you’ll slick it up nicely. Then oil it. I did this to a 92 clone which is similar to your 1886 and it was the slickest little .357 lever around.

Mine is 100 something years old. Im sure its been cycled enough, Its not super hard to cycle but you can feel everything thats happening. It doesn't feel like a fluid motion.

Texas by God
05-31-2019, 09:50 PM
It's a Winchester, it will never be fluid. The carrier detent pops in and out at the top and bottom of the cycle and the lever cams up the locking blocks. Smoother than a 94 Winchester but not as smooth as a Marlin. It is what it is. I've seen your excellent pics of that rifle and I would be proud to own one exactly like it- except in .33 Win.[emoji3]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Kev18
06-01-2019, 01:16 PM
It's a Winchester, it will never be fluid. The carrier detent pops in and out at the top and bottom of the cycle and the lever cams up the locking blocks. Smoother than a 94 Winchester but not as smooth as a Marlin. It is what it is. I've seen your excellent pics of that rifle and I would be proud to own one exactly like it- except in .33 Win.[emoji3]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I have an old marlin. 336 and it's so smooth. It feels like there is alot less moving parts. I also have a modern. 44 mag 1894 and its almost as smooth. It feels like one straight motion.
I guess you are right about the locking blocks cramming up. It causes the action to feel clunky. I still love that rifle tho!

bob208
06-01-2019, 03:42 PM
if after over 100 years of use I do not think it needs improvement. as stated before Winchesters are a little clunky just the way the parts work.

indian joe
06-01-2019, 07:45 PM
I have an old marlin. 336 and it's so smooth. It feels like there is alot less moving parts. I also have a modern. 44 mag 1894 and its almost as smooth. It feels like one straight motion.
I guess you are right about the locking blocks cramming up. It causes the action to feel clunky. I still love that rifle tho!

Kev
The only thing that I would do with that old rifle that might help is adjust the strain screw on the mainspring - that makes the downstroke of the lever a bit easier and reduces trigger pull weight some - you can back it off until you get an occasional light strike / fail to fire - then add a little tension back on till it fires right - use Federal primers in your reloads they are softer than others so they take less of a hit to fire. dont pusstyfoot around when you work the lever - the slower and softer you cycle a winchester the more clunky they get - only caveat to that is its a FINGER lever not a FIST lever. Enjoy that old gun its a treasure .

Kev18
06-01-2019, 09:23 PM
Kev
The only thing that I would do with that old rifle that might help is adjust the strain screw on the mainspring - that makes the downstroke of the lever a bit easier and reduces trigger pull weight some - you can back it off until you get an occasional light strike / fail to fire - then add a little tension back on till it fires right - use Federal primers in your reloads they are softer than others so they take less of a hit to fire. dont pusstyfoot around when you work the lever - the slower and softer you cycle a winchester the more clunky they get - only caveat to that is its a FINGER lever not a FIST lever. Enjoy that old gun its a treasure .

I dont have that screw. I guess it fell off between 1889 and whenever i purchased it. Il need to buy one, just so I have one! I did that On my 1873 and it worked, I actually backed off the mainspring screw itself a tad. Il try that on this one.