PDA

View Full Version : Addicted to casting boolits

Bad Ass Wallace
05-29-2019, 04:36 AM
Just finished restocking the cast boolit shelves with nearly 8,700 cast over the past 4 weeks, thanks to the unseasonal cool weather for this time of year.

From 25cal, 7mm, 30cal, 8mm, 375, 40cal, 44cal, 45cal and finishing with the big ones 54cal, 50cal, and 58cal. In total I used 3 x 20lb bottles of gas, 250lbs of alloy, 7 sticks of lube and 3,500 gas checks.

I guess I must be addicted.

https://i.imgur.com/6AuGmIf.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/y7wVnki.jpg

cwlongshot
05-29-2019, 05:19 AM
Haha. Good honest fun!!

I cast about 30# Monday morning myself.

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v465/CWLONGSHOT/Temp%20stuff/sporting%20pics/Bullets/Casting/E1B4D73E-2091-40B2-B115-90B5E861FB35_zpsd00btcyz.jpeg

CW

jughead76
05-29-2019, 06:23 AM
In my opinion, it’s a great addiction to have. LOL! I’ve been wanting to break my out my LEE 4-20 and do some casting but it’s been so hot and humid lately.

6bg6ga
05-29-2019, 06:43 AM
Your addicted when you have two other people helping you cast and size. I have one guy checking everything I am making on the casting machine putting the sprew back into the pot along with adding ingots when needed while I continue to crank the bullets out. In addition he is putting the bullets on a table so a fan can cool them and the second guy is sizing and lubing them once they are cooled. The day yealds many 3lb coffee cans of finished bullets.

Having done the hand held bullet mold thing I know how tired you are at the end of the day. While the bullet machine that has an operator is a step up the untimate is the bullet machine that cranks them out without an operator.

Bullet making is hard work and tiring work but its the sense of accomplishment and knowing that you have a supply on your shelf or in your ammo cans that keeps one going.

kbstenberg
05-29-2019, 08:13 AM
I am an addicted to the casting of bullets. Please doen't tell the wife! I probably have 2 lifetimes of bullets cast sized and lubed. An i still want to cast more.
I am writing this with a black hood over my head so you can't tell who i am. Kevin

Markopolo
05-29-2019, 09:24 AM
Hello, My name is Markopolo, and I cast boolits... is there a 12 step program I should enlist in?? Or is there Casting anonymity group?

Or how about “I Cast, therefore I am..”

Guesser
05-29-2019, 09:36 AM
Casting has been my favorite segment of the ammunition production evolution for almost 60 years, actually it is 62 years, I started when I was 11.

Sig556r
05-29-2019, 11:05 AM
Houston's summer humidity (75% upwards) tends to temper my casting addiction being setup in my garage...I can squeeze in a potful on a breezy day with my side door & garage roll-up open...

Springfield
05-29-2019, 11:12 AM
I cast, sized and reloaded 950 45 Colt rounds for the wife over the weekend. Should be good for almost a year of shooting Cowboy events. I need to do 2000 or so for my son sometime in the next week or so. Makes for some nice quiet time.

gwpercle
05-29-2019, 01:47 PM
Started in 1967 . By now you would think I would be over it...moved on to golf , model ship building or stamp collecting. No ...still enjoy the hobby , always have ...always will .
It's a most satisfying endeavor !

Welcome to the addiction ,
Gary

Beagle333
05-29-2019, 02:12 PM
I shoot to cast. 8-) I give a lot away so I can cast more. :D

RED BEAR
05-29-2019, 06:04 PM
I enjoy casting in winter but in weather like we are having now it can be miserable.

Tom W.
05-29-2019, 10:13 PM
Beagle333, I still gotta find your house. I know it's not more than 25-30 miles away.....[smilie=f::cbpour:

Winger Ed.
05-29-2019, 10:23 PM
I guess I must be addicted.

Even with an intervention, your case my be incurable.

44Blam
05-30-2019, 12:42 AM
My name is Bob, I've been clean from casting for 54 hours.

I did, however, PC those boolits and prime a ton of brass...

I did something a little different with the PC, though - I air dropped the boolits from the mold, but water quenched the boolits from the PC oven. Will have to check the BHN in a few days...

6bg6ga
05-30-2019, 06:00 AM
When I was using a 4 cavity mold and a 10lb pot I hated to cast and size bullets. My sizer was a 450 and it was a time waster. I evolved by going to a Magma/Star sizer lubricator and suddenly sizing lubing was fun. Now I dream about converting the sizer to automatic with a gear reduction setup with a speed control. I have 2) motors and control boxes but I haven't gotten around to the conversion yet. The casting went from several 4 cavity molds and a small pot to a Ballisti-cast Mark IV which holds two sets of twin cavity molds. Now I'm thinking about selling the Ballisti-cast and purchasing a Magma and converting it to automatic operation.

There is no end to this obsession. You just find new ways of doing it faster and more efficiently.

gwpercle
05-30-2019, 11:42 AM
You know you are an addict when :

You wander around parking lots , looking down at the pavement for wheel weights !

You have darted into a street to grab a wheel weight !

You do work and take payment in wheel weights !

You hope and encourage your daughter to marry the son of the tire shop owner...because you know he's going into the business and you want free wheel weights ...as FIL you will be family !

You have walked up and down several miles of highway , not for fitness , but looking for wheel weights !

You spend more time looking for wheel weights than looking at the ladies !

You don't want to go to the beach because you've never found a wheel weight there .

I could go on... in my case all of the above are true
what are some of your " you might be addicted" stories

Gary

Kylongrifle32
05-30-2019, 02:57 PM
Hey Gary have you set down and planned out a boolit trap to catch all those flying wheel wieghts you send down range? I sure wish I had the acreage to build a hand gun range with a boolit trap.

Drew P
05-31-2019, 11:39 AM
Nice piles! But I’m more interested in the roo-bar on the car! Love Aussie transpo.

gwpercle
05-31-2019, 12:47 PM
Hey Gary have you set down and planned out a boolit trap to catch all those flying wheel wieghts you send down range? I sure wish I had the acreage to build a hand gun range with a boolit trap.

I live in the middle of town , no room for a range .
I prepared the construction plans for our city's first indoor shooting range , it has two nice bullet traps and guess what part of my fee included.... some range scrap from the traps !

lightman
05-31-2019, 01:01 PM
Markopolo --- I think this is the Casting Anonymous Site!

Gary --- I'm guilty of some of those things. I pout for hours if we are on a trip and I see a wheel weight laying on the ground at an intersection and I can't get out and get it. I even have a friend on board with this. We'll even take extra exits in order to look at new intersections! Its amazing what you see. He has about a dozen sockets and wrenches that we have found, some tractor hitch pins, a couple of receiver hitch pins and even a Lyman ingot!

Seriously though, casting is an enjoyable and addictive hobby. So is scrounging for lead!

Four-Sixty
05-31-2019, 10:11 PM
On the weekends I'm up well before dawn and ready to cast as the Sun comes up. Its a great way to beat the heat. Especially since I just received 8 molds in the mail today, and they need to be broken in.

Drew P
06-01-2019, 12:30 AM
8 in one day?! Okay you ARE addicted!

44Blam
06-01-2019, 12:37 AM
On the weekends I'm up well before dawn and ready to cast as the Sun comes up. Its a great way to beat the heat. Especially since I just received 8 molds in the mail today, and they need to be broken in.

Holy ****! That's gonna make for a long day. I've had some molds that start out throwing perfect boolits from the start but then some take a couple hours to really get going...

Four-Sixty
06-01-2019, 05:39 AM
5:38AM Local... it beginshttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190601/f5baffb182eb5204c2f993466a799d9b.jpg

Sent from my LG-M210 using Tapatalk

Four-Sixty
06-01-2019, 05:43 AM
Getting the mail yesterday was like Christmas.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190601/2e311c14262ba8b46a70c0300cfb6f27.jpg

Sent from my LG-M210 using Tapatalk

gwpercle
06-01-2019, 07:26 AM
Markopolo --- I think this is the Casting Anonymous Site!

Gary --- I'm guilty of some of those things. I pout for hours if we are on a trip and I see a wheel weight laying on the ground at an intersection and I can't get out and get it. I even have a friend on board with this. We'll even take extra exits in order to look at new intersections! Its amazing what you see. He has about a dozen sockets and wrenches that we have found, some tractor hitch pins, a couple of receiver hitch pins and even a Lyman ingot!

Seriously though, casting is an enjoyable and addictive hobby. So is scrounging for lead!

You're right.... It's like treasure hunting !
Gary

gwpercle
06-01-2019, 07:29 AM

Eight new moulds in one day....You got me beat , that may be a record !
Gary

Mitch
06-01-2019, 12:15 PM
I cast more than I shoot.i scrounge lead all the time and have likely have a life supplie of lead and allying metal.casting is relaxing for me.

greenjoytj
06-02-2019, 01:31 PM
In my opinion, it’s a great addiction to have. LOL! I’ve been wanting to break my out my LEE 4-20 and do some casting but it’s been so hot and humid lately.

I want to cast but it too cold I’m waiting till it is above 18*C, ya I’m in Canada it so pinko it closer to commie red.