PDA

View Full Version : Old Lachmiller press

richhodg66
05-28-2019, 06:38 PM
Was in a nearby town with the wife this afternoon and went through an antique shop. They have a big old Lachmiller press, rusted and frozen, but it didn't look like it would take much Kroil and Evaporust to get her going again. My question is, the shell holder it has it it looks like some of the Herters ones I've seen, quite a bit larger in diameter than modern ones and knurled around the outside, looks like it is held in by a set screw.

I'm pretty sure it's threaded for standard dies. They want $22 for it which seems reasonable, though less would be better. Do these use special shell holders that will be difficult to find?

skeettx
05-28-2019, 06:59 PM
The Herter's shell holders will work

Search for this on the bay

Herters shell holder adapter use RCBS/Lee shellholder fits Lachmiller also

LUBEDUDE
05-28-2019, 07:50 PM
What he said^^^^

Plus, since you don’t have to pay $30-50 freight, $22 is a bargain.

richhodg66
05-28-2019, 08:06 PM
I already have a Forster Co-ax I haven't even set up, LOL. The ol' Rockchucker gets it done. Also have a Tru-Line junior, an old Pacific C press, and a Bonanza sitting here not doing anything. The Pacific will get set up to be my portable set up eventually, not sure what I'll do with the others.

I need another project like a hole in my head, but I may go get it just because I don't want it to sit there until someone who doesn't appreciate it throws it away.

richhodg66
05-28-2019, 08:08 PM
Oh, and I forgot about the Herters Super Nine press I got and cleaned up. Don't regret that one because it's the only one I've ever seen and have only seen even a very few pictures of one on the net, so it'll stay a while, but I don't plan to get serious about collecting. This Lachmiller is a neat old tool, though.

onelight
05-28-2019, 09:10 PM
I have never heard of one post a picture if you get it
Thanks

richhodg66
05-28-2019, 10:59 PM
Thread about it here;

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?284646-Herters-Super-Model-9-press

onelight
05-29-2019, 07:32 AM
Thread about it here;

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?284646-Herters-Super-Model-9-press
Thanks for link. Interesting

Pressman
05-29-2019, 10:35 AM
Richdog66, That sounds like a great buy for the Lachmiller. Which model is it? Model 100 is the most common, but there is a model 400 that appears nearly identical that is very scarce and more desirable of a press.

Lachmiller began selling their tools in mid 1952, Herter's came out with the model 3 in 1954. So it appears Herter's copied Lachmiller.

Herter's and Lachmiller shellholders are interchangeable in the presses, but not in the Lachmiller bench top primer tool.

Post pictures when you get it.
Ken

richhodg66
05-29-2019, 04:58 PM
Richdog66, That sounds like a great buy for the Lachmiller. Which model is it? Model 100 is the most common, but there is a model 400 that appears nearly identical that is very scarce and more desirable of a press.

Lachmiller began selling their tools in mid 1952, Herter's came out with the model 3 in 1954. So it appears Herter's copied Lachmiller.

Herter's and Lachmiller shellholders are interchangeable in the presses, but not in the Lachmiller bench top primer tool.

Post pictures when you get it.
Ken

Not sure, I'll have to go back and look again. Are there pictures of each model?

richhodg66
05-29-2019, 05:01 PM
Looking at a picture from google, it looks like a model 100 and it's also missing the spent primer cup. I wondered what the screws on the front of it were there for.

Pressman
05-29-2019, 09:03 PM
Primer cups are rare, most were cast iron though the last ones were clear plastic that does not stand the test of time.

Ken

salpal48
05-29-2019, 09:36 PM
Enclosed is a Photo of 2 of my lachmiller 400 press. as Ken stated they are identical in appearance to the lackmiller 100. the 400's are in Blue only. These are not totally indential. the one on the left has a slotted ram and Holes in each side for some Lachmiller device primer feed or some swage bars . this has a Threaded shell holder
The one on the right has a standard ram without holes and standard lachmiller Shell holders
I have a3rd one mounted slotted ram with standard Lachmiller shell holder . All 3 have the basic same body but different set up
Sal

richhodg66
06-21-2019, 06:02 PM
Well, had to go over to renew the tags and since the shop was just down the street, figured I'd go in and try to negotiate a deal on this press. When I found it again, the sign hung in that particular stall said everything 25% off, so I didn't even bother to ask if they'd take offers, walked out with it for $17 and some change after tax.

It's a model 100, massive thing, has a shell holder in it, but it's rusted fast, so it'll take a while to get it out and see what it is. I have to be out of town most of next week, so gonna leave it sitting with some evaporust soaked paper towels wrapped around the ram and then run some Kroil on it when I get back. I think I can make a good press out of it, like I needed another one. Hardest part will be coming up with a spent primer cup that works and doesn't look too weird.

LUBEDUDE
06-21-2019, 09:00 PM
Congrats on your killer deal! Best of luck with the rehab.

richhodg66
06-22-2019, 01:50 PM
Some pics of the press. I have it sitting outside with a few paper towels soaked in Evaporust wrapped around the exposed portion of the ram and more poured down inside the body of the press where the ram moves through. Hoping I can get as much off as possible so I can disassemble it without the rust on the ram scoring anything.

salpal48
06-29-2019, 08:46 PM
Patience and a little time it will clean up. i cleaned My Rams up with scotch Bright Belts on my belt sander.

iuvenal
06-30-2019, 02:23 AM
I bought a model 100 a few months ago on impulse, a couple things I have found:

1. I have a metal primer catcher from an RCBS rock chucker (It seems like all the boxes of random reloading stuff I get off Craigslist come with a primer catch for a press I don't own, got a nice CH one last week) affixed to the Lachmiller. It fits well enough to work. One of the newer plastic ones might work even better with judicious use of a Dremel and JB Weld to eliminate the gaps.

2. There is a machinist on ebay that makes adaptors for the old Herter's and Lachmiller presses to take normal shell holders:https://www.ebay.com/itm/Herters-shell-holder-adapter-use-RCBS-Lee-shellholder-fits-Lachmiller-also-/264247853693?oid=253974904038
It is a bit pricy but I am very happy with it.

Hope that helps.

.50bmg
06-30-2019, 05:40 AM
Here’s. My old Lachmiller.....can anyone guess the model????https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190630/a9cc90b323a79fcc1976f69cf33eda44.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

richhodg66
06-30-2019, 07:37 AM
It's been sitting with Evaporust soaked paper towels all around the ram and a few other places. Been gone all week and was too tired to mess with it when I got in last night. Hopefully that got the big stuff off and I can start working some Kroil into it.

I may pick up one of those adapters, or I may not. I kind of like the idea of using them as they were intended. A few years ago, I was in a job situation that had me as a geographic bachelor and I picked up an old aluminum Pacific press to use that was set up with the old ram that was caliber specific. A gentleman I see at gun shows with a lot of old reloading stuff had a cigar box full of rams, many with the original tags still on them, he sold me real cheap. I kept a pair of snap rings next to it and it didn't take much longer to change rams than normal shell holders.

Not sure what role this press will take up. I picked up an old iron Pacific press a few years ago in better shape that works on the up stroke rather than the down stroke and I thought that feature would make it better for a portable press on a small, Harbor Freight tool stand in the house. Someone set that one up with a universal ram that uses new style shell holders. Cost me $15. Kind of makes me wonder when I see guys asking about buying one of the cheap, Lee entry level presses for a beginner, there are so many high quality older ones that are much cheaper and much better if you look around a bit.

Pressman
06-30-2019, 08:27 AM
.50BMG would you please stop, I am getting Lachmiller blue with envy. You have one of the very few Powerhouse presses in captivity.
I need one.

iuvenal
06-30-2019, 02:17 PM
I also got a Pacific with the convertible (upstroke/downstroke) setup for $15. It was missing a pin in the handle area...quickly fixed. Also has a ram that can take standard shellholders.

Kind of makes me wonder when I see guys asking about buying one of the cheap, Lee entry level presses for a beginner, there are so many high quality older ones that are much cheaper and much better if you look around a bit.

Tell me about it, although I think part of it may be a general lack of knowledge of even where to find the information you need to know what to get. I mean you could browse these forum a long time before you assembled the knowledge required to pick up an old press for cheap and figure out exactly what parts and accessories were need to get moving. Although if you had someone that knew what they were doing helping out....

richhodg66
06-30-2019, 03:07 PM
I also got a Pacific with the convertible (upstroke/downstroke) setup for $15. It was missing a pin in the handle area...quickly fixed. Also has a ram that can take standard shellholders.

Tell me about it, although I think part of it may be a general lack of knowledge of even where to find the information you need to know what to get. I mean you could browse these forum a long time before you assembled the knowledge required to pick up an old press for cheap and figure out exactly what parts and accessories were need to get moving. Although if you had someone that knew what they were doing helping out....

Yeah, I grew up around it, so maybe not fair to criticize. Dad gave me a rockchucker when I got back from Desert Storm, my first reloading press and still the one that does the vast, vast majority of reloading tasks for me. Just about any decent single stage press will likely outlive the owner's grandchildren.

I didn't need this old Lachmiller, but figured it would sit there for years and not sell and sooner or later, someone would get tired of looking at it and repurpose it as a boat anchor or something. The same antique shop had old primer boxes and powder cans, and some Alcan wads and a roll crimper. This was the only thing that really interested me.

iuvenal
06-30-2019, 05:04 PM
Yeah I might have a soft spot for the Lee starter kits because my dad did not and does not own any centerfire rifles. Also this was before internet was common, and I knew no-one who reloaded, so there was really nowhere to start except to mail-order the lee kit. Having said that, I don't use any of that stuff anymore, although I still use and like a lot of other Lee equipment. Had I known better I would have tried to find an older press used.

richhodg66
07-02-2019, 03:35 PM
I finally got some movement out of the ram today after it soaking in some ATF for a while. Had to use a 3/4" bolt as a drift and tap it with a good sized hammer, but I was careful and don't think anything was harmed. Went and bought some PB Blaster and have it upside down with the recess the ram runs through filled with as much as it'll hold. Hopefully I'll have it apart soon and begin to really start cleaning it up.

richhodg66
07-02-2019, 05:47 PM
She's all disassembled now, and doesn't look at bad as I'd have guessed. The shell holder that was in it came out pretty easily considering how badly rusted it looked. All the other pins and screws came out pretty easy too.

The worst is the top 2 1/2 inches of ram has quite a bit of rust on it. I'm gonna clean the oil off of it and soak it in evaporust some more.

The main press body needs some cleaning, soapy water and a plastic bristled scrub brush should do that just fine. I'll evaporust any places that need it, but if I choose to paint this, what kind of paint should I use? Is this a job for one of those bake on types of paint, gun cote and such?

LUBEDUDE
07-02-2019, 07:57 PM
The two that I have don’t appear to have a special coating. It looks like a plain dull gray paint to me.

salpal48
07-02-2019, 10:19 PM
Here’s. My old Lachmiller.....can anyone guess the model????[IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190630/a9cc90b323a79fcc1976f69cf33eda44.jpg[/I
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Powerhouse press, short lived Appox production300

Pressman
07-02-2019, 10:40 PM
Richdog, put the press frame and handle in the dishwasher with Dawn and run on normal cycle.

You will be impressed with how clean it will be.

richhodg66
07-03-2019, 11:21 PM
I was kind of thinking of taking it to a car wash. Dishwasher is a good idea, but I think I'll try to get it as clean as I can before I do that.

richhodg66
07-08-2019, 09:19 AM
All the non painted parts have cleaned up pretty well. The ram has stains from the rust but it is smooth and I don't think I want to polish it much for fear of moving too much metal on a part with tight tolerances. I scrubbed down the body thoroughly and it's sitting in a tub of evaporust and seems to be doing exactly as it should. Saturday we went over to Salina to the one gun shop I know of that would have shell holders for it. The old man there took me straight to a drawer full of them and I picked through them. I got a .30-06 head size one from him since that accounts for most of my loading, but also found an adapter to use modern shell holders, so should be set now.

Looking ath this now, I think coming up with a spent primer cup that will work may be harder than I initially thought. The handle when it's at the top won't allow for a very big cup, I had figured on just attaching a round steel cup of can to it, but I don't think that will clear.

Could I trouble one of you who has one of these complete to post a few pictures of just the spent primer cup from a couple of different angles with something in the picture for scale? I think I'm going to try to fabricate something that works but also looks close to the original.

Thanks in advance.