PDA

View Full Version : .308 win laser cast true shot 170s

PhotoDominant
05-28-2019, 12:40 AM
Heres the question,

Using the 170 grain factory gas checked Oregon trail bullets, I get GREAT accuracy in my bolt.

The only issue is, that with my current load work using ABOUT 10 grains of red dot, I need to seat the gas check inside the case to get the accuracy. If I seat it at the factory designated crimp line I get 4-6 inch groups instead of 1-2" off hand.

Problem is, seating the crimp inside gives me horrendous leading. I mean, horrendous. Like shooting swaged lead bullets at 357 magnum velocity in my handgun.

Is there any sort of after market lube I can use on the barrel or the bullets to off set this?

Screwbolts
05-28-2019, 06:56 AM
Go to a slower burning powder powder! It is very possible you are using a boolit that is undersized for you bore.

GregLaROCHE
05-28-2019, 07:46 AM
You might try adding a filler material and seating the boolit at the factory crimp line to see if it improves the accuracy. It might help with the leading if the boolit is further out. To stop leading, there’s always powder coating, but that’s whole other topic to get into.

Good luck and keep us posted on how it goes.

Larry Gibson
05-28-2019, 09:21 AM
You don't mention the cartridge?

Lube the bullets with a light coat of LLA as per Lee's instructions. Let the lube dry thoroughly before loading.

Try seating them so the drive band or ogive just touches the leade (rifling). Test for accuracy off a solid position.....a good bench is preferred but prone supported will do.

PhotoDominant
05-29-2019, 01:23 AM
.308 Winchester. Was using factory rotary magazines, have since switched to staggered version from ruger.

Very low noise loads, very gentle. I can take the compensator off and I cant honestly feel any difference in kick, muzzle lift.

if seated out to the crimp line I get huge groups. But seated deep as I have been I get GOOOD grouping but REAL bad leading. I have recovered enough bullets from loading at crimp and "deep" to cycle in my rotary magazines that the deep ones have enough melting on them that they have flow lines.

Larry Gibson
05-29-2019, 09:06 AM
I'm not understanding what you're saying as I'm thinking the "crimp line" is the crimp groove?

"if seated out to the crimp line/factory designated crimp line (crimp groove?)" that actually is as deep into the .308W case as you should seat that bullet. That puts the GC and bottom lubed grooves deep into the case. Is that what you are doing?

If not can you post a picture of a loaded round?

Seating the bullet farther out should give better accuracy, not worse. Also testing "off hand" at what range? How many rounds? What target? Why off hand? And, what Ruger rifle with what sights?

popper
05-29-2019, 12:21 PM
They are a good HARD cast bullet with terrible lube. The big problem as Larry says, is fit. If that is the FN version, it's used in 30/30. Shot just OK with unique in my 30/30. Your getting gas cutting and you have to check the measured OD of the boolits. Mine were 310 IIRC. Basically, wrong boolit for 308W and tough to get them working in 30/30 Marlin. Melt them down, add some pure and get a proper mould for the 308W. Lee 160 is cheap.