PDA

View Full Version : help me say NO...

atr
05-27-2019, 07:44 PM
I was checking out the used rifles at my favorite gun/pawn shop over in Eastern WA.
On the rack was a customized 1917 30-06. More a target rifle than a hunting rifle: a heavy barrel, peep sight, adjustable trigger, hooded ramp front sight, fully bedded and with a superb stock. It weighed more than my heaviest 06 hunting rifle.
When I put it up to my shoulder the sight alignment was perfect. The $500.00 was tempting but do I really need a target rifle? Then again I would really like to see how this shoots.
atr

junkpile
05-27-2019, 07:51 PM
I never turn people to a circumstance of neglect. Buy it.

You can always sleep in the garage. Or outside. Whatever. Camping is fun. She'll get over it.

Skunk1
05-27-2019, 08:00 PM
Only one way to find out how it shoots. Something I want and have the funds, I buy.

Winger Ed.
05-27-2019, 08:03 PM
I'll help all I can: "Buy it".

You'll always regret it if ya don't.
Unless it gets run over by a train, it'll never be worth less.

If you wait a few days---
The first person that sees it and recognizes what it is will make the decision for you.

redhawk0
05-27-2019, 08:13 PM
No! Don't pass it up.

redhawk

RED BEAR
05-27-2019, 09:10 PM
Well you could get it and send it to me for my birthday its only 4 months away .

mudygmc
05-27-2019, 09:15 PM
Where's it at? I'll buy it. Already bought 3 guns this week. What's another. I don't second guess gun buying decisions anymore. I buy them and never look back. Buy it.

Adam

Pete44mag
05-27-2019, 09:38 PM
Tell her your going to the range to shoot. Take a empty gun case to the gun store. Stay out about as long as you would if you went to the range. Put the new gun in the case, go home act as if nothing new is going on. She'll never know the difference. Works every time for me.

Multigunner
05-27-2019, 09:41 PM
Are you sure its an M1917?
Didn't say if the stock was military.
Remington made their Model 30 sporting rifles on the machines once used for the M1917.

The British built custom long range target rifles on both the M1917 and P14 actions. They also built sporters on these actions.

ulav8r
05-27-2019, 10:18 PM
Buy it, enjoy it a bit, and then say No, I'm not sorry I bought it.

Dieselhorses
05-27-2019, 10:32 PM
Tell her your going to the range to shoot. Take a empty gun case to the gun store. Stay out about as long as you would if you went to the range. Put the new gun in the case, go home act as if nothing new is going on. She'll never know the difference. Works every time for me.

That’s classic! I need to remember that one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AZ Pete
05-27-2019, 10:35 PM

I believe that we have heard the "voice of experience"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AllanD
05-27-2019, 11:52 PM
But, Don't forget to be seen packing up your range stuff, your hearing protection, your Lead Sled, Spotting scope , etc...

It spoils the effect if you leave that stuff home and she notices!

uscra112
05-28-2019, 05:05 AM
If it's really a 1917 look to see who made it. Winchester good, Rock Island Arsenal not so good. Scuttlebutt was that RIA threaded their barrels in so tight that receivers sometimes cracked.

atr
05-28-2019, 10:07 AM
the stock was not military...it was a Bishop stock

Thanks guys....I can tell that the word NO is not in the vocabulary

gwpercle
05-28-2019, 12:12 PM
Life is way to short to pass up interesting and possibly accurate rifles....
Bring cash and offer an opening bid $400.00 !

Smoke4320
05-28-2019, 03:35 PM
This is actually very simple .. if she asks it that a new rifle you say NO .. seeing how its a 1917 it cant be new and you are NOT lying :) :)

KenT7021
05-28-2019, 05:03 PM
If it's really a 1917 look to see who made it. Winchester good, Rock Island Arsenal not so good. Scuttlebutt was that RIA threaded their barrels in so tight that receivers sometimes cracked.

I believe you meant Eddystone.Rock Island never made the M1917.I have used a number of Eddystone actions without finding a cracked receiver ring however.I think the cracks occur when removing a barrel.I always make a relief cut in front of the action before removing the barrel.

Uncle Grinch
05-28-2019, 05:11 PM

Who told you my secret technique?

nekshot
05-28-2019, 07:58 PM
Welll, recovering addicts sometimes have a relapse. I think a relapse is in order!

CLAYPOOL
05-28-2019, 11:31 PM
I got one in a custom 6 MM / .250 - 3000. got the gun smiths findings here on the wall. The stock is from one of the 2 great Missouri stock makers that are de-funk now. BOY kids it is smooth.... Something that was crafted when it was built.

Texas by God
05-28-2019, 11:47 PM
The “British Mauser” is a good one. I’d say go ahead and get it. It sounds like it’s set up to shoot.
It is amazing how many millions of 1917s were made in just two years by Remington, Winchester, and Eddystone.

samari46
05-29-2019, 12:31 AM
What is that old saying?, better to ask for forgiveness than permission. Frank

Conditor22
05-29-2019, 01:25 AM
Will you use it enough/bring you enough enjoyment to justify buying it? Will it put a strain on your finances/relationship. Will it hold it's value. Does it call to you at night and are you losing sleep over it. Have you had a bad week and need a big pick-me-up.

swheeler
05-30-2019, 11:01 AM
Two manufactures Remington and Winchester produced millions of 1917's from 1917-18. Winchester seem to be the most desired and Remington from the Eddystone Penn arsenal(stamped Eddystone) the least. Heat treating was done by eye, color of hot metal instead of actual temp, some Eddystones are found to have brittle front rings that cracked. I would say buy it sounds interesting.

Sig556r
05-30-2019, 11:08 AM
I'd buy it if I got disposable funds burning hole in my wallet...

Bigslug
05-30-2019, 12:11 PM
Best bolt action mechanism EVER, I.M.O., but you're right, they ain't small, and they ain't light. They've got a lot of bearing surface on the square barrel-to-action threads, and a lot of bearing surface on the action bottom, so the accuracy potential is there, and the '06 will reach farther than those girly little .308 Winchesters. Simply MASSIVE camming potential getting them in and out of battery. Hopefully, the rifle you're considering HAS NOT been converted to cock-on-open, but for the target rig it appears to be, maybe not a deal breaker.

TCLouis
05-30-2019, 11:23 PM
IF they are asking 500, don't pay them that, even out the door.

Geezer in NH
06-06-2019, 05:54 PM
Winner!!!!!!!!!!!!

swheeler
06-12-2019, 07:31 PM
Do yourself a favor if you do buy it, don't go shooting Unique or Red Dot, whichever powder it was, with a dacron filler like you were doing in 8mm, you'll ruin it!

Mr_Sheesh
06-13-2019, 01:45 AM
OP, you expected THIS lot of ENABLERS, to not suggest you buy it RIGHT NOW? You don't know us very well! LOL

(Just got more'n one new toy here, myself, so I'm addicted too. Oh well :) So it goes!)

3006guns
06-21-2019, 01:07 PM
One subtle suggestion.........go back and ask to examine the rifle. If it has been converted to "cock on opening" with one of those kits available years ago, that argues a lower price. Why? My son found a sporterized 1917 Eddystone for only $150, and a beautiful thing it is too. BUT, that miserable cock on opening conversion would NOT smack the primers with any reliability, so he bought the necessary parts to return it to issue. It's one of his favorite rifles now.

By the way, you could tell your wife you bought it for her then hand it to her. Since it sounds pretty heavy, I can almost guarantee that she won't like it. Take it back, look disappointed and buy her a new casserole dish instead.............:)

waksupi
06-27-2019, 11:24 AM
One subtle suggestion.........go back and ask to examine the rifle. If it has been converted to "cock on opening" with one of those kits available years ago, that argues a lower price. Why? My son found a sporterized 1917 Eddystone for only $150, and a beautiful thing it is too. BUT, that miserable cock on opening conversion would NOT smack the primers with any reliability, so he bought the necessary parts to return it to issue. It's one of his favorite rifles now.

By the way, you could tell your wife you bought it for her then hand it to her. Since it sounds pretty heavy, I can almost guarantee that she won't like it. Take it back, look disappointed and buy her a new casserole dish instead.............:)

Good point. The cock on closing feature was intended to make the user manipulate the bolt as is intended on a Mauser, hard, like you're trying to rip the bolt off, and then trying to shove the bolt through the bore. Also aids in extraction and helps prevent short stroking

303Guy
06-27-2019, 01:31 PM
I don't have any problem with cocking on closing. I rather like it.

MostlyLeverGuns
06-27-2019, 03:18 PM
Once you get over 8 or 10 or 12 or ...., the wife no longer cares and another no longer matters. Finding safe secure storage and properly exercising (shooting) all becomes the problem. After the first 3 or 4 she no longer wants to here 'Look what I found FOR YOU'