PDA

View Full Version : Netflix Series "The War" 7 Parts, Highly Recommended Viewing!

DougGuy
05-25-2019, 09:34 AM
If you have ever wondered about buying a subscription to Netflix, now would be the time to do it. Especially as it is Memorial Day holiday weekend.

Ken Burns series covers WWII in great detail, the series chronicles life in 4 American cities from the small town one cinema one stoplight to the big cities, it features interviews with veterans and their families and digs into the subject matter from a very human and heartfelt angle. Of course there is battle footage, some of the photos and footage is very hard to watch but he doesn't sugar coat any of it. He lays it out like it really was.

This series alone is well worth the $9.99 price for a month of Netflix, you can cancel afterwards if you like.

Remembering on the home front today WHY we observe Memorial Day, the land of the free is just that, because of the brave.

Reverend Al
05-25-2019, 02:13 PM
I've been on Netflix for a couple of years now. There are a number of REALLY good documentaries on there if you just dig deep enough to find them ...

Shawlerbrook
05-25-2019, 02:25 PM
I have to put that on my list. I just watched Ken Burns’ Civil War documentary and it was superb.

GOPHER SLAYER
05-25-2019, 03:19 PM
Since I lived through WWII I remember well how it was on the home front. Almost everything was rationed. Even bubble gum. The small store near my home didn't care about rationing gum, he would sell us kids all the bubble gum we had pennies to pay for it. I became very popular at school, even with the girls. Each one of us had a ration book and if I wore out a pair of shoes I was out of luck till my ration book page on shoes came due. All most every home had a flag in the window indicating sons or husbands in the service. It seems everyone was involved. All movies were accompanied but footage of the war. People were seeing spies under their beds.

winelover
05-26-2019, 07:23 AM
Burns also did a series on the Vietnam War.

Winelover

bangerjim
05-26-2019, 02:31 PM
Things come & go on Netflix.

Check out "Empire of the Air" about early radio by Burns......if you can find it! I bought it in a 7 DVD collection. Excellent history of the 3 men that brought us radio. And opened the door to TV.

MrHarmless
05-26-2019, 03:37 PM
Ken Burns' Vietnam War Documentary was absolutely incredible. I loved the breadth of the interviews. Especially the North Vietnamese interviews. You rarely get that perspective.

RED BEAR
05-27-2019, 10:14 AM
I liked netflix but let it go when they went up on price.

DougGuy
05-27-2019, 11:11 AM
I liked netflix but let it go when they went up on price.

Subscribe for 1 month, watch "The War" 7 parts totaling 14hrs of viewing time, then tell them to kiss it!

Kevin Rohrer
05-27-2019, 01:21 PM
And if you look close at the scenes w/ B24s in them like the ones below, they are from my dad's squadron (867th, 494th Heavy Bombardment, 7th AF).

Wis Tom
05-27-2019, 02:34 PM
Thanks, got that noted, to watch.

winelover
05-28-2019, 06:28 AM
And if you look close at the scenes w/ B24s in them like the ones below, they are from my dad's squadron (867th, 494th Heavy Bombardment, 7th AF).

My father was the belly turret gunner on a B-24 bomber. Wouldn't talk much about his service time.

Winelover

koger
05-28-2019, 11:26 AM
Thank you for the info, I love Netflix, don't like some of the liberal ** on there, but the good outweighs the bad!

Smoke4320
05-28-2019, 01:18 PM
My father was the belly turret gunner on a B-24 bomber. Wouldn't talk much about his service time.

Winelover

I have found that those who served and saw REAL action will not talk much or at all about it. Those that brag generally saw/did nothing

Jniedbalski
05-28-2019, 01:57 PM
Starting watching it last night very good

RED BEAR
05-28-2019, 02:21 PM
I only ever heard my dad say something about the war once in an argument. If asked all he would ever say was he hoped us kids never had to go to war.

izzyjoe
05-28-2019, 10:52 PM
Ken Burns is a exellent director, he tells it how it is, and no bull! He also did a show on the history of the national parks, and it was great! Actually I've never seen a bad show that he's done.

DIRT Farmer
05-28-2019, 11:04 PM
I got the chance to watch it with my father who went from the beach to Germany and was preparing for the trip to Japan untill the bombs were dropped. When they showed from the beach through the town of St Low [sp] Dad told me every thing that was coming next. One of the very few times he talked about it.

RED BEAR
05-29-2019, 08:58 AM
Well Netflix just lost me no matter the price. They just came out in support of abortion rights and against Georgia law. When will companies sell there product and stay the heck out of political arena.

sparky45
05-29-2019, 09:23 AM
Netfix is dead to me, period!!