PDA

View Full Version : CZ 82 ...Daily carry ?

Boaz
05-24-2019, 11:15 AM
Well just seeking opinion . I have carried different handguns daily for the last 16 years . Carried a 1903 Colt a good while in a shoulder rig till they came out with all the sub compacts . Bought a Ruger LCP and have pocket carried it about 8 years . Never have really enjoyed shooting it .

Been thinking to shoulder carry a CZ 82 . I like these old Soviet castoffs , I own 4 of them and probably enjoy just shooting them more than any other . Therefore actually more proficient with them more than the LCP . Have a shoulder rig for one and just thinking . Only problem is I quit the shoulder carry because it can be a pain in the buttocks at times . BUT ! Would have a little more 'firepower' with the 9x18 compared to the 380 , more rounds in the mag and a full size gun ...which I like . PLUS ! I like carrying an old gun just for nostalgia's sake . I consider the CZ 82 dependable .

You can't hurt my feeling so what do you think ?

Dan Cash
05-24-2019, 11:36 AM
I doubt anyone who you might shoot will know the difference between .380 and 9mm Mak. Functionally, the CZ is probably as good as it gets but I would stay with your Colt 1903. If you don't want to use it, do you want to sell it?

Bulldogger
05-24-2019, 12:35 PM
I fired my brother's M&P Shield in .380 and was impressed. I didn't quite buy one though. I'm trying out a STAR BM 9mm compact now. Like the size and it hold 8 rounds. Time will tell.

When bulk is not a concern, I carry a CZ75 clone in a shoulder rig. I like that pistol/design very much.

BDGR

onelight
05-24-2019, 12:38 PM
Of the three you mentioned I would pick the CZ they are a size that is easy for me to hit well with are reliable and I prefer da/sa guns CZ rami CZ 75c HK usp c HK p30sk what I carry most is a SA XDE 45 guns that fit my pockets are my last choice I don’t shoot them near as well. Nice to have choices.

Boaz
05-24-2019, 12:42 PM
I doubt anyone who you might shoot will know the difference between .380 and 9mm Mak. Functionally, the CZ is probably as good as it gets but I would stay with your Colt 1903. If you don't want to use it, do you want to sell it?

Dan actually I have 18 of em . Started randomly collecting them back the 80's , no rhyme or reasoning to the 'collection' I just liked them ...you know how it works . Will probably sell off most of them and keep a couple , I enjoy shooting them and got enough ammo to last me the rest of my life..I think . Here's a few of them .

..........................................https://i.imgur.com/iGXFgSM.jpg

onelight
05-24-2019, 12:45 PM
:mrgreen:Nice!

GhostHawk
05-24-2019, 12:48 PM
Why not? If it feels good to you what else matters?

I don't carry often, but when I do it is a little H&R snubby in double action, .32sw long. Not a lot of knock down. But I have one handed 6 into a group the size of a quarter at 20 feet. Just right IMO for taking out eyeballs. So when I carry, I carry it. Little holster that clips into the inside of my pants on my left side. Yeah I like cross draw.

Do what works for you and never look back.

Dan Cash
05-24-2019, 02:04 PM
Boaz, You have just ruptured the valve on my covet juice tank. Mercy!

PB234
05-24-2019, 02:54 PM
CZ 82 drop safe?

kens
05-24-2019, 03:35 PM
isn't that same as a makarov?

Winger Ed.
05-24-2019, 03:52 PM
If it is reliable, accurate, you're comfortable with it,
and doesn't feel like you're wearing a engine block on your belt-- who could ask for more?

shooting on a shoestring
05-24-2019, 09:42 PM
I too have an LCP and I often carry a big gun in a shoulder holster. But I often still carry the LCP. Drawing the big gun from the shoulder holster is slow for me, to slow if the thug is already close. In that case it’s a fast presentation of the LCP from a pants pocket. But there are situations where the encounter might have more time or maybe over greater distance where the power and accuracy of the big gun would be an advantage. I recall an instance where a nut drove his truck into a Luby’s restaurant, got out with a AR and started shooting people. In a case like that, the big gun would be in action. Just a thought.

TCLouis
05-24-2019, 10:25 PM
I have had and and LIKED the CZ 82, but found I like the weight of the plastic pistols to carry around.
The decent round count in the 82's magazine is nice too.
I was surprised to learn that 9mm Mak is more powerful than 380, not the other way around.
I find it interesting (guess it is still true) that 9mm Mak ammo is cheaper than 380.

charlie b
05-24-2019, 11:38 PM
Well, I frequently carry the Radom P-64 (9mm Mak) and don't feel undergunned so I think the choice of carrying a CZ is pretty good. I do like the size, about minimum for these cartridges. If I wanted to replace it I would go with a micro 9mm or .38 snubby.

I had a 1903 and it was one of the sweetest little pistols I ever had. Shot little groups and was very comfortable. I put some good sights on it and a new barrel. It converted my wife to shooting autos instead of revolvers (she now has a 1911 Light Commander in .45). And, it was a perfect example of how factory guns should be 'rounded off'. The other downside was I did not feel comfortable carrying it locked and cocked. Safety did not seem as substantial as the 1911.

My other problem was I considered the .32 a bit on the weak side to carry compared to my P-64, SP101, HK VP9 and the Commander. It was great at the range but picking up all that tiny brass was a PITA (if I could find it). So, I sold it.

And, yes, I carry the P-64 in either a shoulder or pancake holster.

PS 9MAK ammo is cheap enough I don't handload it. And Hornady makes their Critical Defense ammo in 9MAK as well.

PPS Buffalo Bore also makes 'heavy' loads for the MAK

Boaz
05-25-2019, 03:43 PM
The little compacts spoil you quick for lightweight (don't even know you have it) . Conceal ability , simple trigger safety . Down side to me is drawing it when seated (in the vehicle) carrying in your pocket , small grips and basically a point and shoot .

Heck ! I don't know..probably just ready to try something different . I don't open carry and the Texas summer is happening pretty fast . I don't like wearing a 'cover up' in hot weather , usually an oversize denim shirt . I already got the shoulder rig so what the heck . I'll try to post in a week or so if my failing memory will cooperate .

RED BEAR
05-25-2019, 05:45 PM
Now boaz your just making me plain jealous. I had a 1903 once and sold it i have regretted it everyday since.

Bigslug
05-26-2019, 12:21 AM
Nice gun, but fat & heavy. Colt .380 for me.

poppy42
05-26-2019, 12:27 AM
Well just seeking opinion . I have carried different handguns daily for the last 16 years . Carried a 1903 Colt a good while in a shoulder rig till they came out with all the sub compacts . Bought a Ruger LCP and have pocket carried it about 8 years . Never have really enjoyed shooting it .

Been thinking to shoulder carry a CZ 82 . I like these old Soviet castoffs , I own 4 of them and probably enjoy just shooting them more than any other . Therefore actually more proficient with them more than the LCP . Have a shoulder rig for one and just thinking . Only problem is I quit the shoulder carry because it can be a pain in the buttocks at times . BUT ! Would have a little more 'firepower' with the 9x18 compared to the 380 , more rounds in the mag and a full size gun ...which I like . PLUS ! I like carrying an old gun just for nostalgia's sake . I consider the CZ 82 dependable .

You can't hurt my feeling so what do you think ?

I have carried a Polish Random P64 and a Bulgarian Makarov and I have the utmost confidence in either weapon and I would love to have a Czech CZ82. If I did have a CZ82 I would the same confidence carrying that weapon. I find the old eastern block handguns to be highly dependable, amazingly accurate, simple to maintain and operate. Heck the Makarov has a grand total of 27 parts. As for the 9x18 round I would take it over a 380 any day of the week and twice on Sunday. Let’s not forget it was the primary sidearm of are enemies including the kgb, gru and the stazi for close to 50 years. Carry with confidence. That’s my opinion.

poppy42
05-26-2019, 12:30 AM
isn't that same as a makarov?

No not even close! The only thing in common is that they are both chambered for the 9x18 Makarov round.

poppy42
05-26-2019, 12:37 AM
Dan actually I have 18 of em . Started randomly collecting them back the 80's , no rhyme or reasoning to the 'collection' I just liked them ...you know how it works . Will probably sell off most of them and keep a couple , I enjoy shooting them and got enough ammo to last me the rest of my life..I think . Here's a few of them .

..........................................https://i.imgur.com/iGXFgSM.jpg

Wow! When you start selling them off let me know. It’ll probably be at a time when I don’t have any money, like now! But who knows maybe I’ll get lucky and win the lottery.
Anyway nice collection! I am extremely envious!

Petrol & Powder
05-26-2019, 06:36 PM
The CZ 82 is a neat pistol and one of the better Soviet inspired pistols. While not a true Makarov design it's certainly Makarov-ish. The frame mounted safety is the obvious departure from the Mak style pistols and the Czech quality is several pegs higher than most Soviet era stuff.

The 9x18 is a decent cartridge and about as big as you can go in a simple blowback design. I wouldn't put the 9 x 18 on par with a 9 x 19 in a locked breach design, but it's no slouch.

The real advantages to the Mak style pistols are their low cost and strong construction.

As for the shoulder holster, that's a personal choice but I really don't like them. There are a few situations where a shoulder holster is useful, like when seated in a confined area (car, aircraft, etc.). Some motorcycle riders like to wear shoulder rigs under their riding jackets but then you need another covering garment if you take that gear off. Outside of some very limited situations, the shoulder holster introduces more problems than it solves, IMO. It is very difficult to defend a gun carried in a shoulder holster during a physical confrontation that doesn't involve deadly force. The rig itself provides an attacker something to hang onto. It is nearly impossible to re-holster a pistol one handed when using some shoulder holster designs. They can be difficult to conceal in some situations, particularly in hot weather.
To each his own but they're just not for me.

FergusonTO35
05-26-2019, 10:04 PM
Is the Makarov still standard issue for the Russkies?

charlie b
05-26-2019, 10:04 PM
Yep, I like wearing the shoulder holster when driving or when I was riding, which is mainly when I carry. I usually have a larger long sleeve shirt on over my tshirt and it hides well enough (yes, even in summer, I've had plenty of skin cancer). Makes using the bathroom easier as well.

Don't see how an attacker could grab a harness that is under a shirt or jacket, if they even knew it was there. But, I guess stranger things have happened.

I don't ever see a need to reholster a gun that is drawn to stop a threat. If drawn and fired it will be confiscated by the police who arrive on scene. I have read about this as a 'requirement' of some sort, but, for a civilian it does not seem necessary. For a LEO or military use I can see it being very important.

But, I also choose to use the pancake holster or IWB holster at times as well. Depends on what I am doing, what I am wearing and where I am going.

Virginia John
05-29-2019, 02:12 PM
I carry a CZ 82. Just saying. In fact, one of the holsters I use I got from Boaz.

Wayne Smith
05-30-2019, 03:33 PM
Only problem carrying my CZ82 is the weight - it's not as light as my Colt Agent. Lot more rounds, though.

9.3X62AL
05-30-2019, 09:15 PM
The 9 x 18 Makarov is about 12%-15% more cartridge than the European-loaded 9 x 17/380 ACP. USA-loaded 380 ACP is weaker than Euro loadings (same story with 32 ACP). Most 95 grain bullets in my East German Mak (factory loads from Russia) run about 1050-1075 FPS.

W.R.Buchanan
06-01-2019, 03:57 AM
CZ82's are what Makarov's wished they had been.

I have 2 and one Mak.

Typically the CZ82's that come in are ex Czech Police pistols and look like they've been dragged behind a car. The painted finish is generally pretty dinged up. However they do Cera Kote very well and make into very nice guns.

They are DA SA and can be carried Cocked and Locked.

I like them best of all small Semi Autos.

Randy

Petrol & Powder
06-01-2019, 07:43 AM
Randy wrote: "CZ82's are what Makarov's wished they had been. "

/\ That's a pretty good assessment.

I consider the CZ82 to be Makarov-ish. They are very close to the Makarov in form but not in every detail. And out of all of the Soviet era pistols of that type, the CZ82 is the best IMO.

Texas by God
06-01-2019, 09:05 AM
Great. Something else I need that chunks brass into the grass.
Thanks, Enablers.

Petrol & Powder
06-01-2019, 09:24 AM
Great. Something else I need that chunks brass into the grass.
Thanks, Enablers.

You can use steel cased ammo; you can't reload the casings but at least you can pick them out of the grass with a magnet :-P

Ramjet-SS
06-01-2019, 09:34 AM
I have two that had Robar refinish then added a Wolff spring pack. I have about 1000 rounds loaded up they are fun easy shooting guns. As far a carry piece? That s personal choice look at this way 15 rounds loaded ready to go in an accurate gun with some reasonable decent SD ammo from Hornady maybe allot worse choices. Now there have been some info put out bout these guns not being drop safe. That is of some concerns especially carrying in shoulder rig. My personal take is this; there are many guns that weigh less are more powerful and just as shootable. My two CZ82 are staged in the house as home SD guns and I love shooting them but as carry gun? I have way too many better choices.

Wayne Smith
06-01-2019, 09:38 AM
Randy I bought mine several years ago but it was new and apparantly never fired - no marks at all showing use. It does now!

W.R.Buchanan
06-01-2019, 05:32 PM
None of the Czech Police CZ 82's were fired that much. The Czech Police were issued 2 mags or 25 rounds of ammo per year. They could use the ammo however they chose, duty, practice, plinking whatever. If they needed more ammo they had to buy it themselves and most were too cheap to do that.

Result,,, guns didn't get fired much.

I'm going to Cera-Kote my other one someday and it will get either a silver frame or slide and black on the rest. Haven't decided which way to go. Really wanted a set of the pretty Walnut grips they sold but they didn't fit either of my guns so I sent them back.

There is another Commercial Version of this gun called the CZ 83. It is the same gun chambered in .380 ACP. One of the gun shops I frequent has them in stock most of the time.

Randy