PDA

View Full Version : I'm done here!

Just Duke
10-23-2008, 09:19 PM
My Pedersoli Sharps arrived with the muzzle sticking out of the end of the gun case. Damaged beyond repair. :mad:
I'm done here. :mad:

Freightman
10-23-2008, 09:28 PM
Sounds like a claim to me! The problem is the shipper has to file the claim, sorry to hear that as I know how much you were looking forward to the rifle by your post.

Muddy Creek Sam
10-23-2008, 09:29 PM
Duke,

Sounds like your luck runs like mine. Sorry to hear it. Hope you can get it replaced or repaired ASAP!

Sam :-D

montana_charlie
10-23-2008, 09:45 PM
If the rifle came in a 'case'...and not a box...it must have been a preowned gun.
If you are 'done here' does that mean you bought it from someone 'here'?
CM

waksupi
10-23-2008, 11:24 PM
Over the last few years, I have seen several rifles, damaged beyond repair by shippers. This, even packed in good solid aluminum cases. How do they manage that? It must take a special talent. Most recent disaster, was a Leupold scope shipped to a customer in Georgia. Tracking showed it on the last truck for delivery, and it mysteriously disappeared. Finally recieved notice, after several inquiries, that the scope had been damaged beyond repair. So where was it? They said they threw it away. Strange. You would think they would have got it to either the shipper, or the recipient. Then major hoop jumping was required to get the insurance claim. They said they needed the model number. They were told if they hadn't thrown it away, it would have been easier to do. To me, it was obviously stolen. Thank you, Fed X.

Just Duke
10-24-2008, 12:05 AM
It was improperly packed! I have nothing to shoot now. So.....
I have another one done at Shiloh and I am calling them and telling them not to ship it. I will not ever! buy a guns that needs to be shipped again!
I needed two rifles. One for me, and one for my wife. One just will not do it.
Not sure what I'll do with the damaged one though. All I know is this has let the wind out of my sails.

Buckshot
10-24-2008, 12:42 AM
.............Man I can sympathize as I really, REALLY dislike waiting. Then when I know it's on it's way it makes me even worse :-) But to have it arrive and have that happen to it? Was it UPS, or who was the carrier? I sure hope you drew it to the driver's attention! I also hope it was insured for $5000 !!!!!!!!

I'd be a wreak.

...............Buckshot

Just Duke
10-24-2008, 12:44 AM
Sounds like a claim to me! The problem is the shipper has to file the claim, sorry to hear that as I know how much you were looking forward to the rifle by your post.

Claim will not help me but thanks sir. All I'll end up with is cash and a rifle that would probably go back to the factory for 6 months.
Crap! I just paid $50.00 to ship my trade stuff for the rifle and just remembered I spent another $50.00 on transfer fees.

shotman
10-24-2008, 12:45 AM
the best way to pack guns is to find an old junker and start packing . After your done start throwing it against a wall floor stomp it give to the kids to ]play ] with . If it dont hold up try a different packing. After 4 years on feebay i have learned a lot.I have also seen a lot of good and bad ways. A gun, I can buy one of those cheap plastic hard cases that is foam lined. Place the gun in the case and make a very heavy wad of folded news paper to put on both ends. Big enough so you have to put your knee on it to close case. 3 wraps of straping tape. UPS has boxes for guns that those cases will in.{dont matter if you ship with them of not the box is good} I make a heavy wad of paper for both ends and any that you need to keep case form moving in the box. Then tape ALL corners 2 layers on the ends and 4 wraps down the length. I will bet it gets there . rick

Just Duke
10-24-2008, 12:48 AM
.............Man I can sympathize as I really, REALLY dislike waiting. Then when I know it's on it's way it makes me even worse :-) But to have it arrive and have that happen to it? Was it UPS, or who was the carrier? I sure hope you drew it to the driver's attention! I also hope it was insured for $5000 !!!!!!!!

I'd be a wreak.

...............Buckshot

Regular mail...:( But it was improperly packed.

I now have sold off my collective material wealth for this endeavor and spent another around some $4000.00 in support items purchased for these rifles.
I am Damaged!
Tomorrow starts a long day of repackaging the "support items" products and returning them (hopefully) to the vendors and many visits to the "buy sell section" Again. :(

BorderBrewer
10-24-2008, 01:00 AM
Duke,
I know how you feel. I bought a 1952 Marlin 336A in 35 rem. from a guy in Michigan. He shipped it UPS and it showed up with the buttstock broken in two. Problem was that the seller did not pack it to survive a ground zero nuclear detonation so the freight apes managed to tear it up good. Long story short, the seller refunded $100.00 to cover the damage, but just try to find an original buttstock for a 1952 336A. I feel your pain.
BorderBrewer

nicholst55
10-24-2008, 01:44 AM
I feel your pain too. I've never had anything totally destroyed (yet), but I've had a lot of C&R milsurps arrive with the bolt handles protruding through the side of the box!

I have learned how to pack rifles for shipment, and I almost always receive comments of 'gee, that was sure well packed!' whenever I do ship anything. I also always insure them for significant amounts of money - way more than replacement cost. I firmly believe that gets the shipper's attention.

I remove the bolts from bolt guns and wrap that in a cardboard 'envelope,' taped to the inside of the box. I make cardboard 'sleeves' that I tape to the buttstock and muzzle ends that said items won't punch through if the packaging is dropped - from several feet onto concrete! It works for me! But then, I don't have to package dozens of rifles a day, either.

Just Duke
10-24-2008, 01:48 AM
AKKK!!! I just remembered I had Mikenbarb here build me a 500 pound pot for making dedicated alloys. There goes another $250.00 for nothin. :groner:
Maybe I can just pay for the price of the pot and have him keep it. That's only $125.00

Just Duke
10-24-2008, 02:03 AM
the best way to pack guns is to find an old junker and start packing . After your done start throwing it against a wall floor stomp it give to the kids to ]play ] with . If it dont hold up try a different packing. After 4 years on feebay i have learned a lot.I have also seen a lot of good and bad ways. A gun, I can buy one of those cheap plastic hard cases that is foam lined. Place the gun in the case and make a very heavy wad of folded news paper to put on both ends. Big enough so you have to put your knee on it to close case. 3 wraps of straping tape. UPS has boxes for guns that those cases will in.{dont matter if you ship with them of not the box is good} I make a heavy wad of paper for both ends and any that you need to keep case form moving in the box. Then tape ALL corners 2 layers on the ends and 4 wraps down the length. I will bet it gets there . rick

To add insult to injury the moulds with handles and 45-70 dies were in the case next to the barrel and beat the crap out of it. The barrel smoshed the dies open and they were loose too.
Again it was inappropriately packaged but thanks sir.

No_1
10-24-2008, 05:03 AM
I feel your pain sir,

I receive a lot of items (50+) on a daily basis. My only recourse has been to refuse the items if they appear damage. It was a short learning curve for me after the first couple of times trying to collect for damages. Now if the item arrives and has obvious damage I do not accept, call the shipper right away and tell the driver to bring it back tomorrow. This gives me enough time to contact the shipper and see what can be done. If the shipper says "send it back" I refuse the item when the driver shows the next day. If the item arrives and the package is smashed or abused but not open I ask the driver if he minds I open it before I accept. If the contents are damaged, I hand it back to the driver and tell him to come back tomorrow. Please keep in mind that I have had the same driver for UPS and Fed-Ex for a number of years so they do work with me.

I would not give up your endeavor. I am sure there are plenty of people in your local who have these items for sale. Ask around at the local range and meets where they gather. Have your cash ready at hand when you look the the items. You can find the deals if you are willing / ready to wait.

R.

R.

Just Duke
10-24-2008, 05:55 AM

Bret4207
10-24-2008, 05:58 AM
Yo Duke- Don't let this get you down. Somebody shipped it, somebody handled it. Those are the people you need to go after to make it right.

Just Duke
10-24-2008, 05:58 AM
Ask around at the local range and meets where they gather. Have your cash ready at hand when you look the the items. You can find the deals if you are willing / ready to wait.

R.

R.
Thanks for the tip sir but with 2 Sharps Shooters out here and I know of one of them the chances are slim.

Just Duke
10-24-2008, 06:00 AM
Yo Duke- Don't let this get you down. Somebody shipped it, somebody handled it. Those are the people you need to go after to make it right.

I'm done here with my Sharps aquisitions Bret but thanks for your support sir. Some things are just not meant to be.

runnin lead
10-24-2008, 06:14 AM
I would not call Shilo & cancel they ship every day & know how to pack
sucks having received a ruined rifle. dont give up on something that you put somuch planing into FIND ANOTHER RIFLE

Jim

SharpsShooter
10-24-2008, 08:14 AM
Duke,

Do not throw in the towel. You will regret it in the future. You are understandably upset and need to step back and not let emotions cloud the issue. Someone other than you is directly responsible for the damage and you need to determine who that individual or entity is and hold their feet to the fire with any legal means to recover your loss. It appears you are well along in assembling a quality outfit of guns and accoutrements and it would be a shame to allow a setback to prevent you from realizing the pleasure of owning and shooting the BPCR.

SS

Freightman
10-24-2008, 09:19 AM
Never had a claim with USPS but have with UPS and FedEx, they will pay it just takes awhile, anyhow as I see it it is the shippers responsibility to make this right he/she were the ones who failed to pack it right. I think I said it before I spent 30 years as a pick up and delivery man for Yellow freight and if it can be torn up a freightman can do it, so I tripple pack everything I ship. When I was working for ICX we twisted a tool bar, if you do not know what a tool bar is it is 16/20' long and made from tool steel 3x3" sq.
Do not give up as to give up is to surrender.
"damn the torpedoes." Full speed ahead".

Just Duke
10-24-2008, 09:38 AM
The shipper just contacted me and offered to make it good.

freedom475
10-24-2008, 09:48 AM
When I started reading this I thought you were kidding.....

frustrated=daily..........throw in the towel=never......... any day above the dirt is better than a day below the dirt:drinks::Fire:

Shipping insurance is a scam. A total waste of time and money...my local gun shop has a real problem with UPS and the claims dept. There answer to all claims is "if it was damaged in shipping the package was not packed right and it is not our fault".:confused:

Don McDowell
10-24-2008, 09:49 AM
Dang that's a bad deal to have that happen . But now its time to let the hystreonics go and lets start to look at this with a more mature stance.
Ok the barrel is mucked. How bad? Could it be recrowned, cut off and recrowned, or would spending 5-600 on a quality rebarrel get the job done?
You've still got all the essentials for loading and shooting a 45-70, 45-70's are a dime a dozen, and I'ld just about bet as you settled for a Pedersoli,,,,:roll: there's probably at least one on a dealers shelf near you.:coffee: Besides I thought you said you had 2 86's in 45-70, so all the additional stuff you spent 4k on is still fully functional.
As far as not having Shiloh ship you the rifle, if you still intend to purchase that rifle, you'll need your own FFL, as they can't sell you that rifle in store as you don't live in a state that borders MT.
Yup sometimes crap happens, but with just a bit of calm collected thinking , things can work out for the good, and sometimes better.

Just Duke
10-24-2008, 10:00 AM
I'm taking the offer. Thanks all for letting me ruminate with you.
It is great to have brother casters to chat with.

HATCH
10-24-2008, 10:03 AM
It is easy to get discouraged in the current times we are in.
Just remember that it will pass. Might take alot of fiber, but it will pass... :-)

wonderwolf
10-24-2008, 10:19 AM
Don't flame me but I'll tell you a little secret...I work for UPS [smilie=1:..and what a lot of people don't realize is the amount of automation that goes into getting your parcel into our hub...unpacked from one truck..sent across the building and packed into another truck by somebody like me. A college kid looking to get paid to work out and get that nice money UPS gives us every year for just being a student ($3,000 or more hehe). Our bosses have their bosses riding their ass to get us to pack as many parcels into our trailers as we can. Usually when done right its a solid wall from top to bottom and front to back. SOLID. I personally take care to treat every one as if it were something being shipped to my house. But you get some people who get so detached from what they are supposed to be doing which is providing a quality service and instead go to the next step down which is Quantity.

If A UPS driver ever gives you crap and is reluctant to taking a damaged parcel back just call the location they work out of and make them wait around while you complain. A lot of the drivers I've worked with just want to get on their way and finish out the day...its sad really but true.

Just Duke
10-24-2008, 10:24 AM
It is easy to get discouraged in the current times we are in.
Just remember that it will pass. Might take alot of fiber, but it will pass... :-)

I have per the offer had my sac-chell some-what resede to it's normal size and the sky/violet hue is now fading to it's proprietary shade. I will however don a cup for future transactions. It will be stingy for awhile though.

And yes Tom Selleck does Rock! at least with a Sharps he does.

Just Duke
10-24-2008, 10:33 AM
, if you still intend to purchase that rifle, you'll need your own FFL, .

Of course, as this is within scope of the law sir.

Mumblypeg
10-24-2008, 10:49 AM
Dang, and I thought I was pissed cause my High Wall arrived with a broken sight.:coffee:

Linstrum
10-24-2008, 11:45 AM
Hey, DUKE NUKEM, Man, I hear you! What a bummer! I guess nowadays we just have to grit our teeth, then tie a knot in the end of the rope and hang on until things get sorted out.

I like a little humorous irony once in a while and I had something happen to me that fits the ironic part quite well. Sometimes we can't win for losing, I had a package sent to me that caused a lot of grief because it was protected way, WAY too well!

About four years ago I was high bidder on a new rifle barrel. The guy who had it wanted to make sure it got to me undamaged so he got a length of 2-inch schedule 40 PVC water pipe and two glue on type end-caps and put the barrel in it. Man, couldn't be a better shipping package than that to withstand the possible abuses that a package may encounter going cross country. I tracked the package via the number the seller supplied and my barrel disappeared from tracking records at Stilwell, Oklahoma. Stilwell, Oklahoma, what the - - - ? That was off the shipping route by 500 miles! I put a trace on it and waited impatiently for two months. My package finally arrived and part of a torn-off shipping tag that had not been completely removed told me what had happened. It had been sent to a Federal facility in Oklahoma. You got it, it had been sent to the bomb squad!

DUKE NUKEM, there two extremes to things, you got the muddy end of the stick fer sure - - - and I got poked with the other end of the same stick!

rl451

Just Duke
10-24-2008, 12:31 PM
Hey, DUKE NUKEM, Man, I hear you! What a bummer! I guess nowadays we just have to grit our teeth, then tie a knot in the end of the rope and hang on until things get sorted out.

I like a little humorous irony once in a while and I had something happen to me that fits the ironic part quite well. Sometimes we can't win for losing, I had a package sent to me that caused a lot of grief because it was protected way, WAY too well!

About four years ago I was high bidder on a new rifle barrel. The guy who had it wanted to make sure it got to me undamaged so he got a length of 2-inch schedule 40 PVC water pipe and two glue on type end-caps and put the barrel in it. Man, couldn't be a better shipping package than that to withstand the possible abuses that a package may encounter going cross country. I tracked the package via the number the seller supplied and my barrel disappeared from tracking records at Stilwell, Oklahoma. Stilwell, Oklahoma, what the - - - ? That was off the shipping route by 500 miles! I put a trace on it and waited impatiently for two months. My package finally arrived and part of a torn-off shipping tag that had not been completely removed told me what had happened. It had been sent to a Federal facility in Oklahoma. You got it, it had been sent to the bomb squad!

DUKE NUKEM, there two extremes to things, you got the muddy end of the stick fer sure - - - and I got poked with the other end of the same stick!

rl451

Has anyone been to a UPS or Fedex hub? The drivers seem to be pretty sharp but what's with the hub crowd.
The post office is worse though.
Most barely speaking our indigenous language and others seem to be alumni of the "Short School Bus Patrons". :roll:

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:QUSliAFTa7CPLM:http://www.used-buses.net/bustypes/img/school-bus-3.jpg
Usually one guy in the whole place and he/she seems relatively smart biting his tounge/buying his time waiting for retirement.

jackley
10-24-2008, 12:34 PM
Duke,

Duke,
Sorry about your rifle. But don't give up now. You seem to be having so much fun wheeling and dealing and getting ready to shoot and go to shoots and playing with the lead. Just count to ten and I'm sure you can find a way to get over this hurdle.

Good Luck and take care,

Jerry

Just Duke
10-24-2008, 12:40 PM
Duke,

Duke,
Sorry about your rifle. But don't give up now. You seem to be having so much fun wheeling and dealing and getting ready to shoot and go to shoots and playing with the lead. Just count to ten and I'm sure you can find a way to get over this hurdle.

Good Luck and take care,

Jerry
Thanks for noticing Jerry. The learning and interaction with other here has been very edifying for me. The historical value has been priceless. I always said you have to have the key to the past to unlock the door to the future.
Yes it's been like Dineyland ride but somehow my car jumped tracks and I ended up on some fly by night gypsy carnival ride in a three wheel car.

Guess I just need for the ride to stop so I can get back in the right car.

Scrounger
10-24-2008, 01:17 PM
Well, Duke, why don't you start your own transportation company to give quicker, gentler service? Oops, make that TWO companies since you have to buy two of everything. I know you could, even I can think of a few improvements to make. First off, don't service every little nook and cranny of the country, that eats up a lot of resources, at least quadruples your working staff. If people don't have the decency to live in cities of 50,000 or more, they don't deserve mail and package delivery. Another way is to increase the intelligence of your personnel; Require college degrees and IQs of 110 or better. It'll be a real job to talk those kinds of people into working for the kind of money USPS and UPS pays... But wait, you're going to pay more to get better employees, right? Might require higher shipping cost for the packages you transport, but, heck, they're just going to have to pay it.... Not trying to slam you, just pointing out SOME of the problems our transportation and other companies have to deal with on a continuing basis. Under the circumstances I think they do a darn good job of it. Insurance is available to cover your losses and most companies will make good on their merchandise as in your case. All you lost is time. Be of good cheer.

Geraldo
10-24-2008, 01:22 PM
Well, Duke, I think you were over-reacting a bit. No, you didn't have your rifle right away, but to cancel an order for a Shiloh just because they have to ship it? Were you going to give up getting anything by mail, or just rifles?

It might be time to take up homebrewing and relax a bit. :drinks:

Heavy lead
10-24-2008, 01:32 PM
Ah heck, Duke's just blowin' off some steam, I've been there and done that. It's what keeps us all from goin' postal sometimes. My UPS guy is great, had the same one forever it seems. But lets face it, some of these people (I've had worse luck with USPS actually, but not too bad yet) are morons and couldn't find the back of the short bus.
Then there is the man that picks up my herbie curbie. He was flat rude one day. He felt he had to explain to me how to set my herbie by the road just right and point it in the right direction, soooooooooo...........after he lectured me on that for 5 minutes, I told him that he could just take the herbie with him and I could have another company pick it up...........and I would make sure his supervisor new about it, and he shut right up, so another moron fixed.
Good Luck Duke, you can blow here any time, better than blood pressure meds. or prozac.

EchoSixMike
10-24-2008, 01:50 PM
Has anyone been to a UPS or Fedex hub? The drivers seem to be pretty sharp but what's with the hub crowd.
The post office is worse though.
Most barely speaking our indigenous language and others seem to be alumni of the "Short School Bus Patrons". :roll:

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:QUSliAFTa7CPLM:http://www.used-buses.net/bustypes/img/school-bus-3.jpg
Usually one guy in the whole place and he/she seems relatively smart biting his tounge/buying his time waiting for retirement.

I routinely pickup and drop off broken down UPS trucks, from the little pie vans to the double trailer semis. Have done Fedex and DHL in the past as well. It's all the same, more or less. The concern is to get the stuff moved as fast as possible, it's all automated conveyors and chutes and guys hauling ass. The personel are going to vary by region, the drivers are generally pretty senior guys because they interact with the public and they drive in the public eye, which is a pretty decent liability/PR risk for the company. They(commercial carriers) are pretty good as far as security and pillferage go, much better then the post office IMO because they don't have the employment for life and employ-as-many-deviants-as-you-can minority/EO hiring policies as the post office does. Not that there's anything wrong with hiring minorities, females, gays, etc, but hiring preference because of those characteristics is just as stupid as not hiring because of them. Anyhow, the UPS hubs seem much less like a prison yard then the post office hub does. S/F.....Ken M

wonderwolf
10-24-2008, 02:15 PM
The hubs are really cool, I've been in UPS and FED EX hubs. The guys I work with about 2 of 5 are kinda out in lala land. The rest of us really buckle down and make sure things get done right.

Scrounger
10-24-2008, 05:24 PM
The Federal Government mandates the Post Office hire those types, it's certainly not by choice. They are also required to give hiring preference to Veterans and Disabled Veterans. Two of the three fellow employees who committed suicide while I worked there were Viet Nam era vets, not that it makes any difference. Most vets were fine stable people who did their job. Not being able to carefully choose your employees does make a difference.

RMulhern
10-25-2008, 10:20 AM
Duke

If you want a GREAT RIFLE........get on ya horse and go to Shiloh and get it! Oft times they have rifles on their 'Ready Rack' FOR SALE.....TODAY!!

If you don't have enough 'tenacity' to want a Sharps any more than what this seems to be taking to put you out of the game so to speak......maybe you don't need one! And no offense meant here at all but it would be a cold day in Hades before I'd let this incident 'put ME out!!

:castmine::drinks:

legend
10-25-2008, 01:24 PM
i have been to the shilo factory,they are a firstclass operation.they will get your package to you and you will be pleased.

after you cool down you will reconsider i hope.

Just Duke
10-25-2008, 01:41 PM
Duke

If you want a GREAT RIFLE........get on ya horse and go to Shiloh and get it! Oft times they have rifles on their 'Ready Rack' FOR SALE.....TODAY!!

If you don't have enough 'tenacity' to want a Sharps any more than what this seems to be taking to put you out of the game so to speak......maybe you don't need one! And no offense meant here at all but it would be a cold day in Hades before I'd let this incident 'put ME out!!

:castmine::drinks:

Well here, I'll PM you my phone number and you can call my wife and explain to her that I am getting a new rifle for myself and she won't have one to shoot. So you will out of generosity/tenacity :roll: purchase one for her. Works for me.

Also the aquisition of these firearms is not primarily to punch holes in paper at a said range for boasting rights i.e. *"I'm a better shot than you" or *"I'm the state/national champion" but for the rifles original intended use and function. After many phone calls with really sharp like minded folks here that I saw eye to eye with I was sure without being to blatantly obvious what my agenda was to peers viewing this script.

Very much agreed EDK! Yes I to have a love/hate relationship with horses. Most horses think every little noise is a horse eater. But But! if for some reason services or fuel etc... come to an end and most are living in the proverbial stone age, the wife and I have chose to live in the 1880's. lol
We did fare pretty well in the 1880's with Sharps Rifles and lever guns with a simple lead bullet. The settlers of this country manage to genocide a race of indigenous peoples and and almost brought to extinction before it's time a latent prehistoric mammal with those said guns.

I also was born 125 years late. Simple as that.

*Disclaimer;
Nothing wrong with a friendly rifle match though.

Just Duke
10-25-2008, 01:43 PM
Well, Duke, why don't you start your own transportation company to give quicker, gentler service? Oops, make that TWO companies since you have to buy two of everything. .

As other lonesome souls have also stated "Duke buys two of everything" well my wife is my hunting partner and when I get a new gun or outdoors gear she looks in the bag like a puppy with big eyes and says "Is there one for me?" or "Where's mine?

Just Duke
10-25-2008, 02:26 PM
i have been to the shilo factory,they are a firstclass operation.they will get your package to you and you will be pleased.

after you cool down you will reconsider i hope.
My aguish I feel is justifiable and I only wished to ruminate with my brothers here.
I had lost a fine tool for the harvesting large bodied plains mammals in the spirit of my ancestors for nourishment. <sad face>

45nut
10-25-2008, 02:46 PM
just don't give up,, thats a small setback compared to the struggles of some of us. OK?

montana_charlie
10-25-2008, 02:56 PM
Well, Duke, since that first try at a Pedersoli went sour, I'll just remind you about the 45/110 in this post...
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showpost.php?p=405358&postcount=47

CM

Just Duke
10-25-2008, 03:03 PM
Well, Duke, since that first try at a Pedersoli went sour, I'll just remind you about the 45/110 in this post...
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showpost.php?p=405358&postcount=47

CM

Yes I have PM'd this fella and the rifles had been heavily modified with high dollar barrels and such. The sell price was exceding the the price I would pay for them and reflected the value of the modifications made.

montana_charlie
10-25-2008, 03:25 PM
I didn't know the 'Boss' was modified. I wouldn't be interested, either.
CM

RMulhern
10-25-2008, 10:31 PM
I didn't know the 'Boss' was modified. I wouldn't be interested, either.
CM

NOT BUT ONE rifle had been so-called 'modified'; that's the .50/90 with a 34" NEW Badger barrel! And if I have to give 'em away......I'll take 'em out back and pour diesel fuel on 'em and watch em burn!! I don't have to sell squat! I'll just pass 'em on to the grandkids!![smilie=1:[smilie=1:

Don McDowell
10-25-2008, 11:26 PM
As other lonesome souls have also stated "Duke buys two of everything" well my wife is my hunting partner and when I get a new gun or outdoors gear she looks in the bag like a puppy with big eyes and says "Is there one for me?" or "Where's mine?

:)So which one of you was going to get to use the second hand Italian rifle, and which one was going to get the piece of art also known as the Shiloh?:-D

omgb
10-26-2008, 02:35 AM
I had to ship my Ruger Gold Label SxS back to the factory for a warranty repair this past May. I had the orginal box and the orgininal outer shipping carton. I used extra bubble wrap and I insured it for $4,000. Fortunately, it got there and back without damage. Fortunately I say because i shipped from a regualr UPS drop and declared the gun as "sporting Goods" so as not to mark it as a gun. Later I found that by doing that, I voided any insurance I took out on it. It had to ship from a UPS distribution house and it had to be clearly marked as a firearm. Damn Stupid

waksupi
10-26-2008, 10:52 AM
I had to ship my Ruger Gold Label SxS back to the factory for a warranty repair this past May. I had the orginal box and the orgininal outer shipping carton. I used extra bubble wrap and I insured it for $4,000. Fortunately, it got there and back without damage. Fortunately I say because i shipped from a regualr UPS drop and declared the gun as "sporting Goods" so as not to mark it as a gun. Later I found that by doing that, I voided any insurance I took out on it. It had to ship from a UPS distribution house and it had to be clearly marked as a firearm. Damn Stupid

There is another "Catch 22". The BATF tell you to not mark packages as containing firearms when shipping.

leadeye
10-26-2008, 12:10 PM

Duke my wife has been my primary hunting partner as well these past years and I get some of the same treatment. She always wants something different though. Started by her just wanting to come along and then she wanted her own equipment.

montana_charlie
10-26-2008, 02:15 PM
NOT BUT ONE rifle had been so-called 'modified'; that's the .50/90 with a 34" NEW Badger barrel!
Well, that makes it all different. If I were in the market for a rifle, I would sure consider that Boss gun.

But, to stray from the main topic a bit...
Since the Boss has the original factory chamber, I know exactly how it is shaped. Could you detail the naked diameter/patched to/seating depth specs that work well in that rifle?

And, what about your cases...regular off-the-shelf brass, or something special?

CM

RMulhern
10-26-2008, 08:32 PM
MC

Not right now....but I can later!

Rdnck worked with this rifle on PP back a ways and I'd almost bet that he has data on it! I also have some PP he loaded for it....and it shoots it REAL WELL!![smilie=1::mrgreen:

jjamna
10-26-2008, 09:57 PM
Duke-- I am with you. Done Here. Not for the same reasons. Just aint the same forum I joined 2 yeard ago. I may post something on that later. Wish we could turn back Time and all would be well huh?

rockrat
10-26-2008, 11:04 PM
Duke, would you be interested in a Pedersoli 50-70 govt.? You can get it reamed to 50-90 sharps if you want a little more HP

Just Duke
10-27-2008, 09:05 AM
Duke-- I am with you. Done Here. Not for the same reasons. Just aint the same forum I joined 2 yeard ago. I may post something on that later. Wish we could turn back Time and all would be well huh?

No No! Nothing wrong with the forum. I'm not leaving the forum just the black powder section. This is a great place JJ. I am done for now and will pick this up at a later date and after the reqime change. I almost dropped a kings ransom into this aquisition and the damaged rifle was the straw that broke the camels back so to say also with the devaluating dollar, shaky economy etc I am going to hang onto my sheckels for now.
I still have 5 lighty used 45-70's and 6 unfired 45 Long Colts to shoot and will be shooting them more if my micrometers ever arrive to measure my barrel slugs.

Just Duke
10-27-2008, 09:13 AM
Duke, would you be interested in a Pedersoli 50-70 govt.? You can get it reamed to 50-90 sharps if you want a little more HP

That would be a little heavy a load for the wife to shoot but thanks for the offer. If and when I pick this up again I will just go up to the Shiloh Store.

Thanks all. :drinks:

garandsrus
10-27-2008, 09:40 AM
Duke,

For what it's worth, I wish that my wife was one of my primary hunting partners. She has shot skeet a few times, but not recently.

I would buy her whatever she wanted so I could get one for myself :)

John

montana_charlie
10-28-2008, 01:36 PM
Here are two things to help Duke regenerate his interest.

Video of a BPCR Sillhouette Shoot:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLYTTYFmKE4

A good rifle...reasonably priced:
http://bpcr.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2550

CM

zampilot
10-28-2008, 06:39 PM
Duke,
That's a nice rifle for a great price, go for it!:-D