PDA

View Full Version : Receiver sights

pull the trigger
05-22-2019, 09:37 PM
I'm not very bright, so could someone explain this to me. In the old Lyman catalog, it shows different part numbers for Winchester 94 and Marlin 336. So how does Williams have one that fits both? I picked up a Redfield 102-E, thinking there was a chance it would fit my 336. Not even close. So how does Williams pull it off? Thanks

W.R.Buchanan
05-22-2019, 10:55 PM
Nobody knows cuz it's a secret.

Then again maybe it was a lie and they don't fit both guns.

I tend to go with the latter.

Randy

Winger Ed.
05-22-2019, 11:07 PM
Maybe the Williams has a extra hole or two, or a height that lets it fit both.

Then again, by being able to fit both, it could be like a 'street/trail' motorcycle.
It doesn't work very well for either application.

frogleg
05-22-2019, 11:40 PM
I have used a 5D-94/36 on both Winchester 94 ( pre -angle) Top eject, and Marlin 336, both rifles factory drilled and tapped on the side.
Mabe someone has examined the Lyman 66A and the 66LA and can tell us the Diff. But I would guess it has to do with the Height above the Bolt on the Winchester.

indian joe
05-23-2019, 02:49 AM
Maybe the Williams has a extra hole or two, or a height that lets it fit both.

Then again, by being able to fit both, it could be like a 'street/trail' motorcycle.
It doesn't work very well for either application.

I got in an argument only a week or so back about this - I have two of those 5D - 94/336 Williams sights
Feller reckoned they wont fit a model 71 - hmmmm - thats what I bought the second one for ! Seems to fit my Browning 71 just fine - they are an economical hunting sight - gets what ya pays fer - 40 bucks off Midway - dont get click adjustments with a Williams - Lyman (66L) is 100 bucks off Midway - get click adjustment and two apertures with a Lyman...........at two and a half times more price a quality comparison here is kinda unfair.
That Williams 5D on my 348 has held solid since I mounted it - it is doing its job just fine -----------------

pull the trigger
05-23-2019, 05:54 AM
The Marlin holes are lower and closer together than the Winchester. So the height is easily compensated, but the pictures I've seen only show one hole for each screw. I'm considering getting one of the Williams to see. Huh, just remembered that I have a Redfield on a waffle top. Better check it out.

indian joe
05-23-2019, 12:25 PM
The Marlin holes are lower and closer together than the Winchester. So the height is easily compensated, but the pictures I've seen only show one hole for each screw. I'm considering getting one of the Williams to see. Huh, just remembered that I have a Redfield on a waffle top. Better check it out.

My two Williams 5D are branded 94.36 ....only have two holes in the side mounting point - the holes in a marlin might be a touch lower but they would have to be same distance apart as the winchester for this sight to fit --I have not fitted one to a marlin, only winchester 94 and Browning 71.........the Williams foolproof sight (has the click adjustments) comes in designated models for each (marlin and Winchester) the marlin model uses the sight mount screws into top of the action where the winchester model screws to the side.

Nueces
05-23-2019, 07:56 PM
The Lymans are profiled on the mounting surface to match closely the angle between the left flat of the receiver and the top. Generally, a Lyman Marlin (66LA) will mount on a Winnie (66A), with a bit of gaposis. The Williams bases dispense with this angle transition and have a full flat mounting surface. A Willie will fit either Winchester or Marlin without covering the bevel at the top of the receiver.

This has been from memory and experience with many sights from all three companies. Which is to say, it may not be entirely true any more.

There, bases covered.

pull the trigger
05-23-2019, 08:01 PM
Yeah I don't know. I haven't got to check out the one on the waffle top, but this one marked E, will not fit the 336 at all.

Mistered
05-23-2019, 08:54 PM
A Willie will fit either Winchester or Marlin without covering the bevel at the to of the receiver.
This is correct. Here is a Winchester and a Marlin (mine) with the same Williams sight on them (94/36)

Rimfire
05-24-2019, 10:24 AM
I have a Win 64 with a Lyman 66MB on it. It works but sits above the bevel on the win. it is listed as fitting the marlin 1893-93 1936& 36 not sure if it would work on a 336 but would trade it for your 102 sight.

Norske
05-29-2019, 12:05 PM
When I tried a peep sight on my Marlin 1895, I used the inexpensive Williams that fits the scope mounting holes on top of the receiver. I was glad I didn't spend a lot, because my variable bifocal glasses made it look like I had 1 1/2 apertures.