PDA

View Full Version : Browning B.P.C.R. sights

jednorris
05-22-2019, 08:33 PM
I was looking at a Browning 1885 .45/70 B.P.C.R. in the gun shop and dealer said it had original sights on it. The rear sight was not a tang sight and the front sight was a blade. The rear sight looked like a Lyman Tang Sight and did not look very use full for local Match's. Does any one have any information on these sights and whether they are useful.

M-Tecs
05-22-2019, 09:22 PM
This site will show what it should have.

http://www.texas-mac.com/BPCR_Firearms.html

Chill Wills
05-22-2019, 10:28 PM
Likely the rifle you are looking at is not a BPCR because the BPCR came with a soule rear and globe up front. If the rifle you are looking it has what looks like the Lyman tang and post front, then maybe it is a Traditional Hunter. ...In the case of the Traditional Hunter it would not have a 30" half octagon badger barrel either.

shutinlead
05-23-2019, 02:11 PM
I agree with Chill, the BPCR came with a Soule rear and a globe front. If you try to use a lyman tang sight as you are describing in the local matches, you will endure a considerable amount of frustration. not saying it can't be done, I've done the cheap thing once, rode the struggle bus and suffered through it - not worth it! If you are shooting silly-whetts and making adjustments from 200 to 500 with that sight, get a set of dial calipers and measure with them and record. If you can't find an original sight to go with it, get a set from Lee Shaver Gunsmithing - economy soule sights, they do an excellent job for the money. He also sells his version of the lyman 17A front globe sights and they are nice, but more than that, if you go with a 17A from somewhere else because they're cheaper, get a card of Lee's front sight inserts, they're tough to beat.
My 2 cents...
Greg