PDA

View Full Version : Shot shell wad subing

vinny1892
05-21-2019, 08:40 PM
Hi i need a few questions answered. Im looking into subbing out the remington sp12wad for a lbc wad from ballistic products.The-wads are **** for the fiocchi hulls im using (wrong published data) it leaks powder past wad.... now im thinking if the powder weight -shot weight and primer stay the same and as long as the stack height isnt too long i should be safe correct?

stubshaft
05-22-2019, 01:36 PM
NO, shotshell reloading is a recipe that has to be followed exactly (or very near to it). Arbitrarily changing one wad for another is not recommended and can cause drastic pressure spikes. It is not like metallic reloading where you can mix and match components.

vinny1892
05-22-2019, 02:35 PM
Ok thanks so now what book/manual has load data for the lbc wads? Im looking for a lead recipe for yote and turkeys... i cant find jack about them seems stupid that they make them but dont offer data..

Walks
05-22-2019, 02:42 PM
Check Ballistic Products, if they make/sell it have info on it.

RED BEAR
05-22-2019, 03:02 PM
Actually i do this quite a bit but i don't hunt and only shoot for fun i can keep my loads on the very light side. I wouldn't ever switch components on full power loads. I just bought an auto loader and had to go over published dats to get it to cycle. Only 1/2 grain over but still over. Anytime i mix components which is often i always start low and work my way up.

vinny1892
05-22-2019, 06:13 PM
good to know. i did talk to ballistic products and they didnt give me a really good answer nor had much load data. Im going to back the powder off by 10 or so grains and see what i come up with the the lbc wad.

gpidaho
05-22-2019, 06:38 PM
vinny: I'm not one to advocate straying far of published shotgun data but it's my personal opinion that the wad used to build the load is of lesser concern than other components. Myself, if I stayed conservative on the powder charge and the wad fit and made a proper crimp, I'd use it. All this said, if you stray off published data, you're on your own. Gp

vinny1892
05-22-2019, 07:44 PM
agreed i know not to stray too far from published data; but i kinda look at shot shell reloading like building a muscle car. got to match the tranni to motor other wise boom busted car "gun in this case or worse". wheels etc have apart but not as much as the other so to speak.

shootinfox2
05-22-2019, 08:45 PM
Check the powder manufacturer for data. Most have data with most wads and primers combos.

GhostHawk
05-22-2019, 09:23 PM
Advantages Manual sold by BPC. Find the hull and hope like heck they list that wad.
If they don't, see what they do list and buy some more wads.

Its not worth the risk of damage to a good gun or yourself.

Metallic loading tends to have room to spare, pressure wise.

Shotgun is the opposite. For entirely too many loads a single substitution of primer, or wad can raise pressures dramatically. So don't go into this blind. Do the research, call BPC, they have great people there. Ask them.

Also a lot of their wads come with load info if you look for it.

toallmy
05-23-2019, 05:45 AM
I'm not sure , but isn't the Remington SP 12 wad for taped hulls , and Fiocchi a straight wall hull .

vinny1892
05-23-2019, 06:27 AM
Yup the alliant powder company got their recipe wrong its where i got my data from...

GhostHawk
05-23-2019, 08:10 AM
toallmy I believe sir you are correct.

GhostHawk
05-23-2019, 08:22 AM
toallmy I believe sir you are correct.

"Fiocchi 616 primer + 17.5 gr. Red Dot with a CB SO clone and 1 oz. #8's makes a great 16 yd. load. I've loaded thousands of them without a hitch."

To me this is the one place the shotgun reloading industry is failing new reloaders.
Hulls and Wads should be clearly marked which ones work together well, and which do not.

I suspect that "SO clone" is based off the federal wad.

Might want to look at this one.
https://www.ballisticproducts.com/Fiocchi-RS-21-VALU-WAD-12ga-1-1_8-oz-wad-bag_250/productinfo/064RS21/

toallmy
05-24-2019, 05:57 AM
The Lyman shot shell reloading manual has a wealth of information on wad / hull combinations . I liked the 4th edition more than the 5th edition due to ( I believe ) better hull identification . But if you spend a little time looking through load combinations you relies multiple combinations with similar wads , this helps when trying to pick wads to keep on hand . Be safe

RED BEAR
05-24-2019, 08:05 AM
Alliant is max loads on there rifle and pistols not sure bout shot shells. I must admit i buy whats cheap and go from there. I bought a load of primed hulls a few years back and picked up lot of hulls on sale. I use cardboard wads i make myself with punch to adjust height. As i say i don't hunt and just shoot for the fun of it so if it goes bang and hits the target i am good. I am no great shot by anyone's standard especially since i need mr magoo glasses to see but i just love to go out and shoot my guns.

fecmech
05-24-2019, 10:33 AM
The Devil is as always in the details. Max safe SAMMI loads are 12000 psi. If the load you are working from is close to max then there is a reasonable chance that subbing a different wad will put you over the SAMMI max. If the load you're working from is in the 8-9KPSI range then the chances of going over max are pretty small. That said there is a lot of load data out there and the wad manufacturer is who I would look to for safe load data.

Duckdog
05-26-2019, 09:48 PM
Well said. I load a lot of steel shot and some subbing of components occurs. I can't recommend it, but it happens because sometimes there is not data for what you have. Another thing you can do is to drop to a mild primer. The primer can make huge differences in pressure, so that definitely helps.

William Yanda
05-27-2019, 08:00 AM
One frequent poster suggested using a piece of paper under the wad and showed how it prevented powder migration in clear hulls.
Ajay, perhaps?