PDA

View Full Version : Handloaders Manual(1937) by E. Naramore online PDF file/ebook

JBinMN
05-20-2019, 01:38 PM
I was doing a search & found an old book about handloading that, as far as a search here goes, only had 2 mentions in the forum per the Advanced Search function.

It is called, Handloaders Manual, and was written by Earl Naramore in circa 1936-1937. It was illustrated with "sketches" by Lt. Col. J Hatcher.

Here is the link to the PDF file:
https://ia800205.us.archive.org/1/items/Handloaders_Manual_Naramore1943/Handloaders_Manual_Naramore1943.pdf

You can read it online like an "E-book" or you can download it like I did as well. (Look for the download link in the upper right corner of the PDF page when you open it.)

Enjoy!
:)
------

Note: Just this morning a link I had provided in a topic a while back, was found by another member to not work anymore. I suggest that if anyone is interested in these type of books, that you take the time to download these books, as they seem, from time to time, to disappear from access without fees. While this particular link is from what I believe to be the Internet Archive, {https://archive.org/ } it should be there for some time I would hope. But, like I said, on occasion, these things do "disappear or free access is removed, & if you do not act soon, that may be the case later on. Proceed as you like. I am just letting folks know. ;)

Wayne Smith
05-21-2019, 12:45 PM
Thanks, it's in my iBooks collection.

Echo
05-21-2019, 12:53 PM
Thanks, I DL'd it, and may have it printed by Office Max.

JBinMN
05-21-2019, 08:03 PM
You are both Welcome!

I am glad there is at least some interest in this type of thing. I was wondering when I saw there were about 70 "looks" but no one had said anything about it until you two did.
:drinks:

Thanks for taking the time & telling me you downloaded it for future reading & reference. That made posting it worth the while.

I have been reading it a bit, but I have been pretty busy the last couple days & have not got too far into it, but I am enjoying it so far anyway. Hope you folks find it enjoyable as well!

gmsharps
05-21-2019, 08:13 PM
Got it downloaded and will be checking it out.

Thanks,

Gary

Green Frog
05-22-2019, 12:34 PM
It’s downloaded into the library of my iPad. Thanks very much. Now all I have to do is make sure Dale53 knows about it too. I know he’ll want a copy as well! :coffeecom

Froggie

JBinMN
05-23-2019, 06:50 AM
You are both, Welcome!

I am enjoying reading it.

GregLaROCHE
05-23-2019, 08:43 AM
Thanks for that JB. Downloaded easy. Nothing like the one you helped me out with a year ago.
Greg

JBinMN
05-23-2019, 08:56 AM
Thanks for that JB. Downloaded easy. Nothing like the one you helped me out with a year ago.
Greg

Sure Greg! You are Welcome! Glad to hear it was not a hassle for ya.
;)

:drinks:

Markopolo
05-23-2019, 09:09 AM
I got it as well... nice find JB!!!!! ... I love some of the simple illustrations and discussions..

Very cool read.

Marko

Green Frog
05-23-2019, 09:19 AM
I got an e-mail from Dale53 this morning letting me know that he too has downloaded a copy of Naramore into his iPad... this is the first time in recent memory I have been able to send him a reference to a neat download like this. Usually it's the other way around. :coffeecom

I had some secondary references to Col Naramore with regard to his development of the Red Head press about the same time this book came out... he made it possible to use the old small size Lyman/Ideal dies on a bench tool even before the TruLine Jr came out if I have my dates correct. He must have done a huge amount of reloading and studying of reloading starting somewhere around 1930 or so. I'm glad to see this book come back to light since his work is so neglected when discussing reloading pioneers. :???:

Thanks again,
Froggie

dbosman
05-24-2019, 06:58 PM
There are several versions of this book, by the way.
I've checked "it" out using inter-library loan. One from U of Penn. One from Wisconsin. The one from UP was mostly industrial and the later one from Wisconsin was more reloading oriented.
Both great.

8mmFan
05-26-2019, 11:42 AM
Very interesting. That’s pretty much the first old manual I’ve seen. Not counting Townsend Whelen’s “Why not load your own?” I’ve got that one somewhere.

Thanks for sharing that.

8mmFan

8mmFan
05-26-2019, 11:44 AM
There are several versions of this book, by the way.
I've checked "it" out using inter-library loan. One from U of Penn. One from Wisconsin. The one from UP was mostly industrial and the later one from Wisconsin was more reloading oriented.
Both great.

DBosman, what is “inter-library loan”, if you don’t mind? I will definitely ask at the Library the next time I’m there, but, is this something where you’re checking books out from out of state? I’ve never heard of or done that. That opens up a whole new world if it’s commonly available.

8mmFan

Green Frog
05-26-2019, 08:38 PM
DBosman, what is “inter-library loan”, if you don’t mind? I will definitely ask at the Library the next time I’m there, but, is this something where you’re checking books out from out of state? I’ve never heard of or done that. That opens up a whole new world if it’s commonly available.

8mmFan

I'll presume to answer this question if I might, as I've taken advantage of the service myself. Most, if not all libraries in the country have connections with one another by which books not in the inventory of one library can be requested for checkout from others who do. Usually, I have been able to get the odd ball book I wanted within a week or less, but I may have been lucky. If you go to a local public library, I would be somewhat surprised if you didn't have a similar experience.

Froggie

PS Did I gorget to mention, it's always been free at my library at least?

big bore 99
05-26-2019, 09:14 PM
Thanks. Got it ownloaded for a rainy day read.

Valley Forge
05-26-2019, 09:56 PM
Thanks for sharing. I have also downloaded it to peruse later.

Charliemac
05-27-2019, 12:45 PM
How about the case cleaning chapter? Dipping your cases in solutions of potassium or sodium cyanide? I wonder how many people wanted to go through that kind of trouble? Or how many screwed up that operation?

Traffer
05-27-2019, 01:03 PM
Looks like a great resource...thanks for sharing.

alamogunr
05-27-2019, 01:31 PM
This is just a side note on the Naramore book. The dust cover on my hardback copy has a picture on the front that is a copy of the picture on the Lyman Cast Bullet Manual #1. The picture of the frontiersman and wife casting and loading. I'm not in the shop and I'm hoping my memory hasn't failed me(again).

My copy is not a first edition, but a reprint from late 40's or early 50's. Still very interesting. All the old manuals have a lot of information. The Sharpe book and a book by Mattern fall in this category. Unlike the more recent load manuals, they don't focus so much on the safety aspect because of the lawyers. Although I would never recommend these old books to a beginning loader.

Great that this one is available in E-book form.

ozarkeod
05-29-2019, 11:22 PM
Thanks for the link, going to print about 22 pages right now!

DonMountain
05-30-2019, 04:28 PM
Since this is turning into a recommendation of antique reloading manuals, of which I already have a copy of Naramore and Sharp and Mattern, what other ones are good? Thanks for posting a PDF source for the Naramore reloading manual.

whisler
05-30-2019, 07:56 PM
Thanks for posting the link. I downloaded it too.

bedbugbilly
05-30-2019, 09:36 PM
Thanks for the post - I just ran across this thread and have it downloaded tony Loading Manual files. It will be a good read!

Bent Ramrod
05-31-2019, 08:02 PM
Naramore wrote another, larger book in 1954 called Principles and Practice of Loading Ammunition. In many ways, it goes more deeply into the subject than even Sharpe’s book did. It has sections on developing loads with unknown powders, repairing bullet moulds and other exotic subjects.

alamogunr
05-31-2019, 08:12 PM
Naramore wrote another, larger book in 1954 called Principles and Practice of Loading Ammunition. In many ways, it goes more deeply into the subject than even Sharpe’s book did. It has sections on developing loads with unknown powders, repairing bullet moulds and other exotic subjects.

The above post just jogged my memory. This is the book I have and described in the earlier post instead of the book mentioned in the OP. I guess I should look over the books I have more often.

dbosman
05-31-2019, 09:07 PM
Inter and intra library loan is a great program. It varies between library consortia. Most libraries share with other libraries in a state. Not all do participate though.
I work at a university research library so I may have access to a bit more than others. One or a pair of of books I requested was "Wildcat Cartridges" by Ken Waters. I couldn't have afforded to read it otherwise.
Another feature to check out is Google Scholar. Ask if your library participates. Google scanned and is scanning all the books available. Different levels of libraries offer various levels of access. Essentially all the old books are or will be available electronically.

Butler Ford
05-31-2019, 10:25 PM
Another that I now have that I didn't before. Good find and thanks for sharing.

BF

DonH
06-01-2019, 04:45 PM
Thanks for mentioning this book. It has been in my collection for a few years. Time to give it more attention. to