PDA

View Full Version : Mp handles

RED BEAR
05-20-2019, 09:31 AM
Does anyone use mp mold handles ? I have a couple of there molds and just love them. Using lee handles because i already had them and i don't like them at all they are just to big. I have a little arthritis in my hands and they get to hurting after a while. I would like to know if the mp handles are different than the lee's or are they pretty much the same? I have shortened the lee handles and sanded down the handles it helps but not perfect. Thought about scrapping a lee two cavity mold to get those handles and trying them.

Minerat
05-20-2019, 10:10 AM
In my opinion they are about the same. They fit his 4 and 6 cavity moulds so are larger then some of the lyman 1-2 cavity handles.

RED BEAR
05-20-2019, 12:53 PM
Thanks thats what i was afraid of.

JonB_in_Glencoe
05-20-2019, 03:22 PM
SNIP...
Thought about scrapping a lee two cavity mold to get those handles and trying them.
Or you can order them from Lee for $1.50 each
https://leeprecision.com/parts/bullet-casting/hand-gun-bullet-molds/bullet-mold-double-cavity/dc-tl356-124-2r-parts/
They will need to be drilled out some, to fit the 6-cav metal hinge.

toallmy
05-20-2019, 04:54 PM
The last couple times I ordered lee 6 cavity handles I noticed the wood is tapered now and much smaller at the end away from the mold .

RED BEAR
05-20-2019, 05:48 PM
Hey thanks i will look into the lee ones. I like them the best. Other than a pair of old lyman handles for single cavity mold.

RED BEAR
05-20-2019, 05:50 PM
Looked at the lee handles thats just the wood i want the whole handle metal included.

JonB_in_Glencoe
05-20-2019, 09:51 PM
Looked at the lee handles thats just the wood i want the whole handle metal included.

The metal part of the Lee two cavity handles are much thinner and will not work with MP molds.

RED BEAR
05-20-2019, 10:03 PM
Oh i can make spacer to fill up slot. If nothing else grind washers in about half.

JonB_in_Glencoe
05-20-2019, 10:14 PM
I tried that with a RCBS 2 cav mold, using spacers, it didn't work for me, still was loosy goosey. I bought the correct RCBS handles to solve that problem.
BUT one thing I thought of, but didn't try, was to weld sheet steel to the thin tongs, to make them the correct thickness...I bet that'd work.

Mal Paso
05-21-2019, 12:09 AM
MP handles do not open as wide as the Lee. Would not drop the back boolit on the 6 cavity #503 mold.

Lee are sintered steel, tough to cut and drill and don't bend easily. Use a cobalt drill bit if you pin the handles on.

winelover
05-21-2019, 06:37 AM
Comparing the MP handles with RCBS and Lee...............the MP have the widest spread, between the grips. It's not that much but my hands notice it. I prefer the RCBS, as long as they fit on the mold I want to use. Mold manufactures that I use are MP, NOE, RCBS, Lyman and Accurate. Most of my moulds (2,3 & 4 cavity) will accept the RCBS handles without modification. Those that don't, I use the Lee four cavity handles.

Winelover

RED BEAR
05-21-2019, 09:27 PM
I can weld a piece to the lee handles to get them to work if need be. I would just buy rcbs handles but they are pricey.

Taterhead
05-30-2019, 01:20 AM
For what it's worth, the NOE clones of the Lee 6 cavity handles are top notch. Compared to Lee handles, that slid off after first use, the NOE are worth every penny of the extra cash.

winelover
05-30-2019, 06:24 AM
High temp silicone gasket maker is a quick fix for any mold handle that slips.

Winelover

RED BEAR
05-30-2019, 08:03 PM
My biggest problem is that most handles are to big. The 2 cavity lee i can sand down to where they are ok. Have a bit of arthritis in my hands so i really like the small handles. I have an old set of lymans that are the smallest i have seen . They are my favorite ones . I also like the lee molds for the weight don't have as much trouble using them. I was hoping that the mp handles were smaller and didn't open as far.