PDA

View Full Version : Odd ingots

DtheD
10-23-2008, 02:58 PM
I got some lead from my brother last week and smelted some and have some full ingots and band saw slices of ingots also. 27 lbs lead flashing, bluish tint and on the Lee tester was below their scale, has to be pure. 2 ingots about 5.5 lbs each marked STANDARD, 17.5. Has to be Linotype. And an odd one. 18 lbs chunks of a 5" X 2" ingot marked GRADE HARD EE. Tested @ 14. We worked in the printing industry and used to scrap lead all the time. He would save some for sinkers. Had I known I could be set for three lifetimes with lead. Ah hindsight. I have a feeling the EE is babbet. Doesn't quite look like regular lead. I'd like to make sure before I go mixing up a big batch of alloy. Anyone have any idea what it is?

Buckshot
10-23-2008, 11:29 PM
................Can't help with the ID on the "GRADE HARD EE." ingot, but my dad was a journymen pressman up until the late 60's. He worked for ACME Colorprint and they printed most all the color Sunday funnies for papers up and down the west coast. I remember in their lead room there were pallets of linotype ingots and they had a furnace and moulds to cast plates. There was piles of plates piled up against the wall like a snow drift.

If I had known THEN what I need NOW :-)

...............Buckshot