PDA

View Full Version : Targets

RP
05-19-2019, 11:08 PM
I seen several targets from crackers to golfballs bottle caps and shotgun hulls but this is my latest target and they seem to be working well so far. Mini marsh mellows on tooth picks. I used the color mix greens pink white and after I am done shooting nature cleans up for me. If the ground is bare I guess you can just toss a few out and shoot, If you have a dirt berm the tooth picks could hold them but I think a board with some holes to hold the tooth picks would be better. I have a old table sitting in front of my berm with bullet holes in the top I just place the toothpicks in them with a marsh mellow stuck on the end.
I also dumped the marsh mellows out in a gal pail to let them get stale a soft one is not as much fun to shoot. I can see them with a black background at fifty yards with my glasses but my front sites are not clear with out glasses the sites are good the target is fuzzy lol. So I use a scoped rifle.
Today we moved to the back porch which is 75 yards and in the shade I think that is going to be the new spot to shoot from.
So what do most people shoot at distance wise for targets this size ?

am44mag
05-21-2019, 11:31 PM
I enjoy shooting playing cards. A pack of 52 is only a buck or two at the dollar store, and you can choose to just go for hits on the card, or you can try to shoot out the little characters like the heart or spade. This is with a handgun, so I'm definitely not trying to get hits at 75 yards (would be fun to try). Marshmallows at 75 yards with a scoped rifle would probable be a pretty good distance to shoot at. Not too easy, but still doable. A little bit of a challenge is a good thing. It keeps things interesting.

Winger Ed.
05-21-2019, 11:45 PM
75-100 with a rifle should do great.

Far enough out for the scope's parallax to be right, its challenging, and not to far to walk to the target board.

For short range, biodegradable pistol targets on the ground, I've found old/soft potatoes & misc. fruit work well.

Mica_Hiebert
05-21-2019, 11:50 PM
If I'm out in a public shooting area I like using shotgun hulls or piece of random brass too.

northmn
05-22-2019, 10:06 AM
I enjoy shooting playing cards. A pack of 52 is only a buck or two at the dollar store, and you can choose to just go for hits on the card, or you can try to shoot out the little characters like the heart or spade. This is with a handgun, so I'm definitely not trying to get hits at 75 yards (would be fun to try). Marshmallows at 75 yards with a scoped rifle would probable be a pretty good distance to shoot at. Not too easy, but still doable. A little bit of a challenge is a good thing. It keeps things interesting.

We used to have a match at muzzle loading shoots where we would split the cards. Place sticks in the ground and put the card on edge to split it. Kind of fun and would be extremely tough with a 22. You made me think of them, I am kind of reminiscing.

DEP

Hardcast416taylor
05-23-2019, 04:31 PM
And to think that I grew up shooting everything I was challanged to hit by a friend from bottle caps from beer bottles to live targets namely rats at our small town garbage dump?Robert