PDA

View Full Version : thread size

woodbutcher
05-19-2019, 08:33 PM
:?: I have two B&D 3/8 VSR drills.They have given me many years of great service.However,the keyless chucks are becoming a real PITA to use,and I want to replace then with keyed chucks.
Does anybody know the thread size to mount them? And how are they removed?Left hand or right hand threads?Thanks for any information on this.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

10x
05-19-2019, 08:57 PM
There will be a lock bolt locking the chuck to the shaft.
open the chuck completely , shine a light down the past the jaws, and see if you need an Allen key, a Phillips, or a flat blade to remove that screw.
it will likely be left hand thread.
Once that screw is removed, place a large allen key in the jaws, close the jaws tightly, and give the allen key a smart rap with a small hammer. It should be right hand thread.
Hit it too hard and you will break the reduction gears in the drill
You will only know the thread size once you get it off, Some are 3/8" Some are 7/16" Remove the chuck and measure the thread.
I have put 1/2" chucks on a 3/8 chuck drill.

Winger Ed.
05-19-2019, 08:58 PM
A similar power/size drill will 'probably' have the same thread for it's chuck.

All the hand full of chucks I've replaced had a locking screw down at the bottom, and they were left hand threaded.

I'd get replacement ones for it, the new chuck will have better 'grab' and not be so hard to tighten.

john.k
05-19-2019, 09:06 PM
There is a little catch with drills.......they have a locking screw ,so the drill can drive in reverse,......but if you use double ended panel drill bits,the hard bits slip in the chuck,and drill the head of the locking screw away........chuck comes undone ,locking screw hole blocked with headless screw.

woodbutcher
05-20-2019, 07:21 PM
:drinks: Gentlemen.Thank you for your replies.You have been most helpful.
Good luck.have fun.Be safe.
Leo