PDA

View Full Version : Ruger Service Six just needed cleaning

tazman
05-18-2019, 01:16 PM
I recently purchased a Ruger Service Six for cheap because it had not been properly taken care of.
Apparently, it had developed a patina of rust which whoever owned it had used steel wool to remove. It isn't a pretty gun by any stretch of the imagination.
When I took it to the range, it seemed sluggish and stiff. Occasionally, it would just not want to rotate the cylinder. Not locked up, but very sluggish to the point I had to assist the cylinder with hand pressure. Trigger was fairly light but sluggish as well. Putting a few drops of oil in various spots didn't help much.
Today I took it apart and cleaned it.
This was the dirtiest and most fouled revolver I have ever seen. All the internal parts looked like they had been coated with molasses. Old oil, powder fouling, light rust, and just general neglect had left the moving parts just barely moving.
Fortunately, these revolvers are easy to take apart. I soaked the trigger group and cylinder from this one in Hoppes for about 10 minutes then blew it out with Gun Scrubber. It still needed some work with a brush to get the really hard to remove stuff off. I cleaned out the frame with Hoppes and Gun Scrubber while I was soaking the other parts.
After lightly oiling the assorted parts, I reassembled the gun.
Man what a difference that made. The action is now smooth and easily worked both double and single action. The lockup on the cylinder is tighter now also.

I don't understand why people will not take care of a good firearm. It isn't difficult. With a little care, a revolver like this will last a lifetime.
Unfortunately, it still is not a pretty gun, but now it works like a new one.

3leggedturtle
05-18-2019, 01:28 PM
The ejector rod on security six and speed/service six like to loosen up and cause problems too. Its a left handed thread. I finally had to blue loctite one, all my others once tightened, stayed that way. I've noticed lately that there are 2 types of shooters. Those that keep their guns surgically clean and those that never clean them. Todd/3leg

Petrol & Powder
05-18-2019, 01:49 PM
Taz, it's entirely possible that revolver had never been disassembled and cleaned !

Those are excellent guns and very strong. The actions are far better than some urban legend and internet lore will lead you to believe.

If you are mechanically inclined, the action can be detail stripped and a few key parts carefully polished to really make those guns smooth.
Shimming the trigger, hammer dog & the hammer can also help. The people at Triggershims.com. are great to deal with if you go that route.

https://www.triggershims.com/ruger_double_action.html

I don't like to shim the hammers on GP-100's, SP101's or DA Six's because it makes re-installing the hammer a bit of a pain but that's just my pet peeve. Shimming the trigger and the hammer dog (DA sear) are one time jobs.

A few things that can be done to smooth up those actions at no cost. Never pull the trigger when the trigger group is out of the frame unless you want to go hunting for some very small springs and plungers ! However, if you know what you are doing, those actions can be really cleaned up well. They respond very well to careful polishing, shims and proper lubrication.

psweigle
05-18-2019, 02:01 PM
Glad to hear that another ruger got its due justice. I have a security six and just enjoy the heck out of it. Ruger has PDF files on their website detaili g disassembly and cleaning for all of their firearms. Not hard to do at all. A little maintenance goes a long way. Good for you.

Petrol & Powder
05-18-2019, 02:01 PM
The ejector rod on security six and speed/service six like to loosen up and cause problems too. Its a left handed thread. I finally had to blue loctite one, all my others once tightened, stayed that way. I've noticed lately that there are 2 types of shooters. Those that keep their guns surgically clean and those that never clean them. Todd/3leg

True, the ejector rod assembly on a DA Six (Security/Service/Speed - Six) is close to the same design as a S&W DA. The ejector rod screws into the ejector via left hand threads. There are some differences between the designs of the Ruger and S&W but if you are familiar with the S&W setup the Ruger will not be too foreign to you. There's a small washer trapped between the ejector rod and the ejector on the Ruger that the spring acts on, so pay attention when you take one apart.

I've had pretty good luck with the ejector rods on my Ruger DA Six's but if you do have an issue, blue Loc-tite is a good solution.

tazman
05-18-2019, 02:03 PM
P&P--I remembered your warning about not pulling the trigger when disassembled from my other thread and was careful not to do so. Thanks for the warning.
It may be possible that this one has been polished at some time in the past. That, or just shot a lot. It is exceptionally smooth since I cleaned it. Much smoother than my current crop of S&W revolvers and I thought they were nice.
The single action trigger pull is lighter than my Target Masterpiece. The double action pull is better than any revolver I have handled with the exception of a race revolver I handled once.
It fires CCI primers without a hitch in either DA or SA mode.
The barrel is spotless inside as is the cylinder. Apparently, all the rust was on the outside.
So far, the ejector rod has shown no inclination to come loose.
It shoots to point of aim with 158 grain cast and 3.5 of Bullseye. Light load wadcutters are a little low.
I got it for under $300. It will serve as a bedside gun or a vehicle gun quite well. Or even a carry gun since it has a 4 inch barrel.

onelight
05-18-2019, 02:04 PM
Good save , fun to feel the difference before and after on that kind of project.

Petrol & Powder
05-18-2019, 02:12 PM
P&P--I remembered your warning about not pulling the trigger when disassembled from my other thread and was careful not to do so. Thanks for the warning.
It may be possible that this one has been polished at some time in the past. That, or just shot a lot. It is exceptionally smooth since I cleaned it. Much smoother than my current crop of S&W revolvers and I thought they were nice.
The single action trigger pull is lighter than my Target Masterpiece. The double action pull is better than any revolver I have handled with the exception of a race revolver I handled once.
It fires CCI primers without a hitch in either DA or SA mode.
The barrel is spotless inside as is the cylinder. Apparently, all the rust was on the outside.
So far, the ejector rod has shown no inclination to come loose.
It shoots to point of aim with 158 grain cast and 3.5 of Bullseye. Light load wadcutters are a little low.
I got it for under $300. It will serve as a bedside gun or a vehicle gun quite well. Or even a carry gun since it has a 4 inch barrel.

WOW !

You did VERY WELL !

I recall you getting a 6" Security-Six that was a 150 prefix gun. This is a 4" Service-Six? You got another Ruger DA Six?

tazman
05-18-2019, 02:23 PM
WOW !

You did VERY WELL !

I recall you getting a 6" Security-Six that was a 150 prefix gun. This is a 4" Service-Six? You got another Ruger DA Six?

Yes, it is another DA six. I liked the first one so when this one turned up it was natural.
I found it at a gun shop(he also has a pawn shop associated with the store) that usually handles single action revolvers and lever guns for cowboy style shooting or plastic semi-auto and AR style stuff. Nothing in between usually. He did have a couple of S&W revolver in the case which was unusual for him. May have taken them in on pawn or bought them outright.
He didn't want to take the time to clean it and may not have know how easy it is. It didn't really fit his store theme. As I said, it is not a pretty gun so he may not have been able to sell it easily.
It has the scroll label for 200th year on the side. That was almost removed when the previous owner cleaned the rust off it.
When he saw me looking at it, he dropped the price from $375 to $300. I got him to knock another $25 off.

Petrol & Powder
05-18-2019, 02:55 PM
I've said it before and I'll stand by it - The Ruger DA Six series revolvers were some of the best DA revolvers ever made!

A bicentennial (1976) Ruger Service-Six is a pretty cool gun regardless of the finish. That might be a good candidate for a re-blue or some other finish. Or you could just clean it up and keep it like it is.

Petrol & Powder
05-18-2019, 03:00 PM
By the way, not all of the 1976 production got the Bicentennial roll mark but most of them did. The serial number range for the 1976 production was 151-76180 to 152-61012.

Texas by God
05-18-2019, 03:22 PM
The Security and Service Six are perfect size revolvers. Even a worn one here will fetch $400. You did great( again).

Walks
05-18-2019, 03:45 PM
I tighten my DA revolver ejector rods by chucking the ejector rod in a padded vise, stick 2 .357Maximum rounds into opposite sides of the cylinder and give them a hard twist. They Never loosen up. Or 445 or 460 cases.

Loosen the ejector rod the same way.

I have pads for my vise that are 1/2" plywood with a triple thickness of rubber innertube epoxied to one side.
There are small bent nails set into the top of each side. I just turn them around to keep the pads from falling off, depending which side I'm using.

35 Whelen
05-20-2019, 12:20 AM
Does it look as bad as this one?

https://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h6/308Scout/Ruger%20Police%20Six_zpsb5tamjef.jpg (https://s60.photobucket.com/user/308Scout/media/Ruger%20Police%20Six_zpsb5tamjef.jpg.html)

Shoots good though!

https://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h6/308Scout/2018-11-29%2016.06.24_zpswd6kmg9b.jpg (http://s60.photobucket.com/user/308Scout/media/2018-11-29%2016.06.24_zpswd6kmg9b.jpg.html)

35W

tazman
05-20-2019, 06:48 AM
Maybe a little worse than yours.
I doubt I can shoot it as well as you did that one. In fact I know I can't.
I know, it's a personal problem for me.

tazman
05-21-2019, 08:26 PM
I took it to the range again today. No issues with function at all. Due to the smoothness of the double action pull on this revolver, I can now shoot double action and feel confident with the accuracy of the gun. I shoot this one better than any other of my revolvers in double action mode.

redhawk0
05-21-2019, 08:48 PM
You know...when it really comes down to it....it's all in how it shoots...not how it looks. I'm glad you saved a good Ruger....nice find.

redhawk

tazman
05-21-2019, 09:01 PM
You know...when it really comes down to it....it's all in how it shoots...not how it looks. I'm glad you saved a good Ruger....nice find.

redhawk

You are entirely correct.

FergusonTO35
05-21-2019, 09:22 PM
I've said it before and I'll stand by it - The Ruger DA Six series revolvers were the best DA revolvers ever made!

Fixed it for you.:mrgreen:

Petrol & Powder
05-22-2019, 06:23 AM
I caught what you did there ;)

tazman
05-22-2019, 12:26 PM
Does it look as bad as this one?

https://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h6/308Scout/Ruger%20Police%20Six_zpsb5tamjef.jpg (https://s60.photobucket.com/user/308Scout/media/Ruger%20Police%20Six_zpsb5tamjef.jpg.html)

Shoots good though!

https://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h6/308Scout/2018-11-29%2016.06.24_zpswd6kmg9b.jpg (http://s60.photobucket.com/user/308Scout/media/2018-11-29%2016.06.24_zpswd6kmg9b.jpg.html)

35W

Here are a couple of pics of mine. You can decide the condition for yourself. The grips are something I added to make it feel better in my hand.

Texas by God
05-22-2019, 01:06 PM
Should you ever tire of it; let me know. The Six series are the only Ruger DA I like. BTW, Ruger will reblue it for $80 or so.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

454PB
05-22-2019, 01:58 PM
I tighten my DA revolver ejector rods by chucking the ejector rod in a padded vise, stick 2 .357Maximum rounds into opposite sides of the cylinder and give them a hard twist. They Never loosen up. Or 445 or 460 cases.

Loosen the ejector rod the same way.

I have pads for my vise that are 1/2" plywood with a triple thickness of rubber innertube epoxied to one side.
There are small bent nails set into the top of each side. I just turn them around to keep the pads from falling off, depending which side I'm using.

I do the same, but I use a piece of flexible tubing (plastic) that is a snug fit over the ejector rod and a pair of pliers.

Petrol & Powder
05-23-2019, 06:27 AM
Tazman, that 4" Service-Six would be an excellent candidate for a refinish.

tazman
05-23-2019, 07:53 AM
I may do that down the road a ways.
Part of the reason I purchased this revolver is the poor finish. I have several revolvers that I won't do certain things with because I don't want to expose them to finish damage.
This one doesn't have that problem.
I realize it is a tool for a purpose and nice looks shouldn't hinder it's use. That said, I just can't take a nice looking firearm out where it will probably get scratched up and worn.
I used to have an issue with my sweat(job related). When I shot trap during the summer, my perspiration would actually rust my shotguns before I could get home and clean them, it was that corrosive.
I still have a mental block about that even though I no longer have that issue.
I don't buy safe queens. Every gun I purchase gets shot, a lot.
Even so, some of the guns I own get handled very carefully to avoid the slightest blemish to the finish. It is a mental problem for me.

Thumbcocker
05-23-2019, 08:53 AM
Some years back I bought a .357 Blackhawk missing some blue and grip frame finish. Named it "Spot". Spot shoots just fine as is.

JM7.7x58
05-23-2019, 09:27 AM
The sights on my stainless Security Six are blued. They are well worn from holster wear. There are also quite a few random scratches all over the gun. I just realized that my whole revolver would be a rusty, scratched up mess if it had not been made in stainless. It lived a hard life before I got it.

It shoots great and I never worry about scratching it. Any new scratches I can blame on the last guy who owned it.
JM

Edit: Here is the link to the Ruger Security Six Instructions. https://ruger-docs.s3.amazonaws.com/_manuals/securitySix.pdf

Walks
05-24-2019, 02:34 AM
Refinsh !!!!! That Revolver has Character.

My Ancient NM Blackhawk (1974) has less finish. It's LIVED, it's seen hard use and shows it. Refinishing one of my COLT SAA's that I shot for 25+yrs in Cowboy Shooting would be like me getting a Face Lift. Not that I need one, I'm still as Handsome and Dashing as ever.