PDA

View Full Version : Springfield Mil-Spec 1911 pre-firing review

Love Life
05-17-2019, 08:36 PM
There I was, larger than life. I was doing a pawn shop crawl in search of...well, I didn’t know what I was in search of, lol. I head into a local shop and hit the used gun counter. Nothing stood out, so I moved to the new guns. In the case they had a Colt’s 1991 and a Springfield Armory 1911 Mil-Spec. I looked at the Colt’s, and it is about what I expected. Loose slide to frame fit, Loose grip safety, clocked extractor, and sharp edges.

Now normally, I won’t even ask to see a Springfield, but I figured why not. Once I got it in hand I was glad I did!! Slide to frame fit was as tight as my loosest Les Baer, the grip safety had no movement. The extractor stood proud of the slide, but was lined up correctly. Barrel had no movement, and was well fitted. The stampings were crisp and the parkerizing was perfect. No sharp edges. Hmmmm, the wheels started turning in my head, lol. They gave me $350 in trade on a Glock I paid $125 for and I walked out with the Springfield for under $400 out the door.

Getting it home I pulled out the depth gauge, feeler gauges, trigger gauge, and micrometer and got to measuring. Here is what I found:

The dimensions for the small parts are outstanding. They were almost as good as if I had hand fitted them. The fit of the parts were on the same level. There is not a single tool mark inside or out. The slide to frame is tight, with no overhang on the rear of the slide. The parkerizing is flawless. The stampings are perfect. The barrel fit is dang near as good as if I had hard fit one and near the same level as my Les Baers. The barrel is beautifully throated. Holes are where they are supposed to be. Trigger pull is 4.5 lbs. The pistol is bank vault solid. If I built you a gun to this level of fit and finish, you wouldn’t be able to touch it for less than $1500.

Cons:
Extractor stands proud of the rear of the slide
Overly stiff thumb safety

Possible mods I will make if necessary:
Fit a bushing. The factory one isn’t sloppy, but it can be improved.
Fit a beaver tail grip safety. I’ll only do this if the GI grip safety eats my hand.

Mods I will do:
30 LPI checkering on the front strap
Serrated rear of slide
Blend extractor to rear of slide
Make a set of smooth, over width grips from highly figured desert ironwood.
Cut a coil or two off the plunger spring

Mods I will farm out:
Installation of Novak Cut Trijicon HD night sights
Metaloy hard chrome

Final thoughts:
I don’t know if I got a Wednesday built gun or what, but I will say this 1911 was put together right. Being the owner of several Les Baer, ground up customs from the 1970’s to current builds, numerous Colt’s, and the tools to measure stuff; this gun is seriously in the top of the heap for build quality. It just blows my mind. If this is an indication of Springfield quality, then I recommend one of you can handle
It in person.

I’ll be firing it next month, lol. Knowing my luck it’ll probably be a jam-o-matic, lol, but all signs indicate that all will be fine.

tazman
05-17-2019, 09:31 PM
Mine is like yours as far as the fitting goes. I did have a beavertail safety fitted along with the requisite hammer. I also had an adjustable trigger installed.
Those are the only modifications I had done to it. That service safety did eat my hand.
This gun has been flawless for me ever since.
I think you will love yours.

Bazoo
05-17-2019, 10:47 PM
I have a milspec stainless made in 2013. It was tight when new, and remains fairly tight after 6k rounds. Its got zero play in lockup, but the slide is a touch looser than it used to be. You best give it a look, the ejector in my gun was not pinned, but rather, glued in. I had SA pin it when I sent it back for other repair.

When I first fired it, it jammed. I rounded the sharp edges on the extractor bottom, and chamfered the firing pin hole lightly. I've had very few malfunctions since then, all related to a bad mag I had, or the Lee TC in conjunction with several different mags that dont like it. With ball ammo, or factory HP, or lead RN, it runs flawlessly.

That other repair, consisted of having a chip in the corner of the hammers half cock notch. SA paid shipping both ways for it, and did the ejector pin at the same time for free. Other things I've had go awry, is the ILS started snagging on the mainspring. The plunger tube came loose and needed restaking, as did the front sight, 3 times now. The safety plunger kept getting a little burr on it and making the safety very hard to disengage. I replaced it with a steel SA pin and its been fine since. I also shortened the plunger spring some.

So, i've had problems.... that said, I carry the gun 24/7 and feel the bugs are worked out of it.

Love Life
05-18-2019, 04:49 PM
Thanks for the additional information!

Winger Ed.
05-18-2019, 05:12 PM
Knowing my luck it’ll probably be a jam-o-matic, lol, but all signs indicate that all will be fine.

That could be true.

And, 'You'll put your eye out kid'.

So, for your own safety, ya should send it to East Texas.

Love Life
05-19-2019, 06:22 PM

The hard part now is figuring which blanks to use.

lefty o
05-19-2019, 07:18 PM
id go for the bottom left one.

DougGuy
05-19-2019, 07:32 PM
LL your mil spec sounds like you got it just like I built one for me, I wanted a parked straight up GI 1911A1 exactly as it might have been issued in 1943. I used one of the Auto Ordnance complete lowers from Gunbroker, $300, and a 1943 Remington Rand slide and GI barrel, all WWII era parts in the upper.

I had to lap the side to the frame but everything else went together just like an armorer dug in a barrel and pulled out whatever part he got first and fitted it together. It fits a BUNCH better than the 1943 matching numbers Colt I had, and groups as good as most customs costing $1500 or better. I think I got about $450 in the whole thing. I wanted a 1911A1 that looked, felt, and shot like a WWII issued gun. I won't even change out the military sights.. The only thing I did to it that an armorer wouldn't have done is throat the barrel. Apparently this was a good move going by the first group fired (see target below).

https://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/DougGuy/1911A1/20150609_135931crop640_zps8jlaettg.jpg (http://s1202.photobucket.com/user/DougGuy/media/1911A1/20150609_135931crop640_zps8jlaettg.jpg.html)

10yds standing

https://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/DougGuy/1911A1/HS-LongThroat_zps8rbolkau.jpg (http://s1202.photobucket.com/user/DougGuy/media/1911A1/HS-LongThroat_zps8rbolkau.jpg.html)

I did eventually swap the link for a longer one which brought the group down on the front sight, and I bent the sear spring a little, still has a fairly stiff trigger but on first outing, it was gritty and probably 6lbs when it fired the group above.

The one thing it did do, that I was happy for, I no longer kick myself in the butt for letting the Colt get away...

LUCKYDAWG13
05-19-2019, 07:33 PM
I like the bottom left too

Love Life
05-20-2019, 09:48 AM
I think I’m going to get some different blanks. The pattern in the wood really doesn’t flow with the pistol.

fecmech
05-20-2019, 11:35 AM
I bought a Mil Spec with the 3 dot sights and it was an honest 2" 25yd gun. All I did was lighten the trigger from 5 lbs to 3.5. The gun fed and functioned just fine with Lymans 452460 SWC. They are one of the best bargains out there IMO

EMC45
05-21-2019, 08:44 AM
I bought a used Mil Spec from a member here. He had a Gold Cup and the Mil spec for sale. I shot both and bought the Mil spec. It shot better than the Colt for me. I don't know how many rounds I have put through that gun. Many many.....

Lance Boyle
05-22-2019, 08:53 AM
I have one I bought as a base for a project gun that I haven’t done.

Grip safety does irritate my thumb’s second joint.
Thumb safety is ungodly stiff. I should pull the plunger and clip the spring.

Other than that it’s a good gun with the improved sights over the gI ones.

pretzelxx
05-22-2019, 09:05 AM
I don't have a milspec but I got a range officer for 711 out the door in Washington a few short years ago. It's tight as I would assume it should be. It was my first 1911 and I surely love it. Except the safety. It eats my hand when I shoot, so it's not a frequent 300 round gun but the thing is a tack driver. I was ringing 6 inch steel at around 25 yards pretty easily in a moderate wind with strong gusts not too long ago. I love my Springfield for sure!

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

Love Life
05-23-2019, 08:01 AM
Good info and thank you!!

I have a new set of blanks on the way that I believe will dress the gun better than the current ironwood I have.

I went to shoot it Sunday at the public range, but forgot my target, lol. So no range report yet.

nun2kute
05-23-2019, 08:23 AM
I don't own a springfield, but I think your are passing up a good bookmatch on the bottom right pair.

mattw
05-23-2019, 09:10 AM
Bottom right set of panels! I own 8 or 9 various models of Springfields in various lengths, both barrels and grips and various calibers. I see no reason not to buy a Springfield over any other similarly priced gun. My favorite? Factory ported slide 40.

Love Life
05-23-2019, 01:23 PM
I started working a set of blanks today, and reminded myself of why it’s called ironwood and why I don’t make them for money, lol. Much sandpaper has died, and the files are unhappy. Brought the grips up to a 320 finish to better see what I was working with, filled some imperfections, and started initial shaping.

Love Life
05-24-2019, 01:55 PM
Uh-oh, mis-measured and missed the hole for the bushing. Time to break out the gorilla brand super glue and some wood dust...

That’s what I get for rushing and nut using my templates, lol. All that stuff is still packed away. When I’m done I’ll show a picture and you can try and find the goof up, lol.

catboat
05-30-2019, 11:12 PM
They are great pistols. I have four milspecs in various configurations-all 45 acp, blued with NM prefix.

One bone stock, with a home (jig used) trigger job. Two went to my pistolsmith (Angus Arms, Wiscasset,ME) which one became a wadgun, the other a hardball gun with Kart barrels, fitted barrel bushing, oversized pins, adjustable sites, grip arch, leaf and ILS/ hammer spring....etc.

Another one had a replacement barrel , bushing, pins, trigger job, but factory fixed sights retained...gave that one to my brother.

The NM prefix on the S/n means it was both forged and finished in the USA. A "N" prefix means the parts were forged in Brazil, and finished in the USA. I like NM prefix versions, very tight fit, well-made.

My pistolsmith was very impressed with the build quality of the NM prefix milspecs.

My first milspec plunked 5 home cast bullets ( SAECO 69 200 grain swc flatbase, 4.0 grains Bullseye) into a ragged hole at 50 feet. It's barrel is a one-piece stainless and shoots great. This one was turned into a dedicated wadgun.

Here is my range report on that milspec, with picture of the group ( before it was sent to my 'smith). Picture is group with bone stock factory parts.
https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=356188#/topics/356188

FWIW, the Range Officer is just a milpec with adjustable sights and beaver tail grip. It does NOT get any "special fitting" or accuracy upgrades. This info is directly from Springfield Armory. I have one. Very nice pistol, but it is not a "match grade" pistol, in terms of fitting or parts. Some shoot great, some shoot ok. They ( milspec and Range Officer) both have the same factory accuracy spec. Mine shoots very well.

Springfield Armory 1911 milspecs are high-value pistols.

Petrol & Powder
05-31-2019, 07:40 AM
The 1911 platform has been around for over 100 years and everybody and their brother has produced a version or at least parts. I'd say it's a mature design. Springfield Armory is one of those manufacturers that got on the 1911 wagon and they do a pretty good job with that platform.

I've had a few Springfield Armory guns and they are decent values but I do think one needs to look over a particular pistol before putting your money down. The OP's comment about a "Wednesday" gun is spot on. The old joke being you don't want something made on a Monday or Friday. The reality is there are variations in fit, finish and overall quality. Sounds like the OP found a very good example and got it for a good price - Congratulations !

Some of my most disappointing 1911 pistols have had "Colt" stamped on them and that included a brand new one that came out of the Colt Custom shop. One of the best 1911's I ever had also had Colt stamped on it but it was considerably older.

I've seen good and bad Springfield Armory pistols and I wouldn't buy a Springfield based solely on the brand name because you can get a "Monday" or "Friday" gun. But there are "Wednesday" guns out there and they can be excellent values.

gwpercle
05-31-2019, 03:11 PM
You would think the 1911 would be so outdated it wouldn't even still be talked about in modern conversation.
I was talking to an old buddy who has a gun shop and he tells me he can sell every 1911 that he can get his hands on ... they never stay in the shop . The ones in 9mm Luger and 38 Super are his "Hot Cakes" and it doesn't matter the manufacturer...they all move quickly.
I've always been a big fan of the 1911 and when AMT came out with the all stainless steel 1911 Hardballer with adjustable sights ...I jumped on it...Love at first shot ! It's sitting on my desk as I type .
I never would have dreamed the 1911 would be around coming up on the year 2020...but here it is .
Gary

Petrol & Powder
05-31-2019, 09:28 PM
You would think the 1911 would be so outdated it wouldn't even still be talked about in modern conversation.
I was talking to an old buddy who has a gun shop and he tells me he can sell every 1911 that he can get his hands on ... they never stay in the shop . The ones in 9mm Luger and 38 Super are his "Hot Cakes" and it doesn't matter the manufacturer...they all move quickly.
I've always been a big fan of the 1911 and when AMT came out with the all stainless steel 1911 Hardballer with adjustable sights ...I jumped on it...Love at first shot ! It's sitting on my desk as I type .
I never would have dreamed the 1911 would be around coming up on the year 2020...but here it is .
Gary

It is a timeless design. I don't think it's the "end all, be all" combat design anymore but that doesn't mean it is a bad design.

It IS one of those rare turning points in history like the development of the compass, the internal combustion engine, air conditioning, etc.; that changed things. The 1911 was a game changer but it spawned development beyond the quantum leap that it made.

tazman
06-03-2019, 10:27 PM
This thread got me thinking about my Springfield Mil Spec so I took it to the range today. After playing with it and one of my XD series pistols I put up a silhouette target at ten yards and fired forty shots at it using the Mil Spec 1911.
It tore the 10 ring out of that target. Only one round outside the 10 ring for 40 shots. These are great guns.
Since I want to be able to shoot well enough to handle a human sized target at the distance between my bedroom door and the front room of my house(about 24 feet), I think this pistol has it covered.
Loads were Lyman 452460 200 grain SWC loaded with 4.5 of WST. Maybe running 840fps.
I can't shoot any better than that but don't really need to.

Love Life
06-04-2019, 10:33 AM
4-5 gr of bullseye under a 200 gr swc at 1.250 is my go to load. I also have a bunch of lead ball at max OAL. If the pistol isn’t reliable with those, it’s broken.

Once I shoot those I’ll try my soft 3.8 gr bullseye loads with the factory spring and see how it does.

Love Life
06-19-2019, 08:16 PM
I finally shot it on Monday. As expected, it functioned 100% with all magazines and all bullet profiles. I shot H&G 68 lswc, 230 fmj ball, 230 gr Speer GDHP, and 230 gr lrn ball.

Accuracy was acceptable hovering around 4 inches for all 49 tds fires. I need to drift the sights to the right. I will also fit a match bushing which will tighten things up.

Minor irritation to the web of the hand. I will break the sharp edges on the GI grip safety and shoot again before I decide to add a beaver tail grip safety.

What will definitely be happening is a checkering job and installation of a medium trigger.

Love Life
06-23-2019, 06:42 PM
Just did a detail strip and clean after the first firing. All is good. Springfield is now offering the Mil-Spec for $499 under the Defender series. If the quality is as good as mine, I say you should RUN and go buy one. Just a solid platform, and at current prices you have plenty of room to upgrade exactly as you want it and still come in close to or under the cost of a TRP.