PDA

View Full Version : Selling cast projectiles Yes or No

army_doc
05-16-2019, 10:00 PM
So my 13 Y/O son is wanting to see about casting projectiles and selling them. What is ya'alls opinion on this? I don't see a problem with it as he will be running all sells through me but maybe there is something I am not seeing???

SSGOldfart
05-16-2019, 10:08 PM
Doc there is a few tax issues you'll have to address and then the ATF and IRS are very serious about.Then state licenses. But who am I to rain on his parade.

klenke.ryan
05-16-2019, 10:09 PM
https://johnpierceesq.com/do-i-need-an-ffl-if-all-i-am-going-to-do-is-manufacture-and-sell-cast-bullets/

I thought about it too. I'm looking into the FFL thing sometime in the future.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

lar45
05-16-2019, 10:42 PM
Yes, you'll need to get the FFL and keep records...
It's a shame he can't just sell them.

army_doc
05-16-2019, 11:04 PM
Yes, you'll need to get the FFL and keep records...
It's a shame he can't just sell them.

I am 99.9% sure you don't need an FFL to sell projectiles. If someone were to sell reloaded ammo then a destructive device license and insurance is needed.
But I may be wrong.

army_doc
05-16-2019, 11:07 PM
I am 99.9% sure you don't need an FFL to sell projectiles. If someone were to sell reloaded ammo then a destructive device license and insurance is needed.
But I may be wrong.

Never mind, a quick google search proved I was wrong. Well that really sucks. **** big brother butting in where they are not needed.

Walks
05-16-2019, 11:28 PM
I don't sell them. I give them away as gifts. And friends give me lead alloys as gifts.

jdfoxinc
05-16-2019, 11:37 PM
Components are not regulated at the federal level yet. Loaded ammo mfg. And sales requires a type 7 ffl from the BATFE and an excise tax license from the treasury dept.

RogerDat
05-17-2019, 12:42 AM
Selling projectiles is not exactly a losing proposition but I don't think it is much of a money maker either. One can't generally add a lot of value per hour of casting. The buyers are generally going to be people that cast and enjoy that as part of the hobby. At 13 however options are limited as to job prospects making anything look potentially better than it would to an adult. Would probably make more for less labor input if he could get yard work jobs.

Either one does allow a young person to focus on providing quality work promptly and when promised. So there is the added value of learning the value of doing a good job, effort to gain rewards etc.

lightman
05-17-2019, 08:07 AM
Selling projectiles is not exactly a losing proposition but I don't think it is much of a money maker either. One can't generally add a lot of value per hour of casting. The buyers are generally going to be people that cast and enjoy that as part of the hobby. At 13 however options are limited as to job prospects making anything look potentially better than it would to an adult. Would probably make more for less labor input if he could get yard work jobs.

Either one does allow a young person to focus on providing quality work promptly and when promised. So there is the added value of learning the value of doing a good job, effort to gain rewards etc.

Well said, Roger.

I'm thinking the profit level would be pretty low. I was mowing and raking yards before I was his age. And for a few weeks during the summer I would help a friends Grandparents cut, bale and haul hay. I made enough to buy my first motorcycle when I turned 14.

There are things that he can do at his age. I agree that casting bullets could teach him more about quality work than some other things.

My complements to the young man for wanting to work.

cwlongshot
05-17-2019, 11:25 AM
Don't sell the boolits sell the PC coating... boolets are just what you coat. :)

CW

RED BEAR
05-17-2019, 11:33 AM
You know this is a shame that we have gotten to point were a young man can't do something like this to make a little money. I went to work at age 12 after my dad died. Had to so me and mom could pay bills and eat she worked two full time jobs.

RogerDat
05-17-2019, 12:09 PM
Mail order business has a certain level of complexity and record keeping required. A skill with some value. Yard work has some mechanical training in terms of the equipment. Bucking hay bales has nothing going for it but stick to it even though it is hard. Which I guess is something.

I think the components can be sold without an FFL or other license. Of course if the amount of money gets to where he owes taxes..... win and pita.

Might want to consider brass or hulls as another item. Again not sure if there is a large profit to be had, or a high enough volume of sales to make a bunch of money but one can turn a modest profit on some brass or shotgun hulls. Especially if one can get some inventory for free at the range. Or berm mining for lead and copper jackets to the scrap yard. Work is harder but raw lead does have a regular market. Just be sure to follow good safety practices. Brass and shotgun hulls have the powder residue from the primer firing and that dust contains lead. Need to be aware of that and prevent breathing of dust or wearing dust covered work clothes afterwards.

I will say some brass such as 9mm or even 45 acp are worth about the same as their scrap value. The 270 win also seems to be sort of common. Others such as 357 mag, 308, 30-06, 30-30 or magnum rifle or pistol do have a decent price point. Not sure where .223/5.56 is right now. Shotgun I think it depends on gauge and brand a whole lot. Time into sorting by caliber and headstamp provide an opportunity for adding value that people will pay for.

lup
05-17-2019, 12:29 PM
So my 13 Y/O son is wanting to see about casting projectiles and selling them. What is ya'alls opinion on this? I don't see a problem with it as he will be running all sells through me but maybe there is something I am not seeing???Projectiles are a no due to federal regulation Has he considered fishing sinkers or jigs?

army_doc
05-17-2019, 01:04 PM
Projectiles are a no due to federal regulation Has he considered fishing sinkers or jigs?

I was just thinking about that as I have several fishing weight molds. I just wouldn't know where to start for him to sell them.

Wayne Smith
05-17-2019, 02:02 PM
You would have to get an FFL 03 just $10 a year ($30 for 3 years) and be the one who does the selling - he's a minor and can't. You would have the business license if such is needed in your town/village/city.

army_doc
05-17-2019, 02:13 PM
Yeah it sounds like its going to be more of a PITA then it's gonna be worth for him.
Thanks for the replies guys

edp2k
05-17-2019, 06:07 PM
Read the info at the link.
https://johnpierceesq.com/do-i-need-an-ffl-if-all-i-am-going-to-do-is-manufacture-and-sell-cast-bullets/

In addition to an FFL you need to register for ITAR and pay the $2K to $3K yearly ITAR fees.
It sux but its the law.

Burnt Fingers
05-18-2019, 09:26 AM
If you sell sinkers or jigs you're responsible for paying the excise tax.

RogerDat,

I'll gladly pay scrap prices for .45 ACP or 9mm brass. How much ya got?

Minerat
05-18-2019, 09:46 AM
I powder coat my jig heads too. Pre heat then dip and bake. Once cured use an eye buster or small drill to open the eyes. I have an airbed for the powder so it coats more uniform.