PDA

View Full Version : Dillon SDB ????

abunaitoo
05-14-2019, 02:30 AM
Friend gave me a Dillon SDB in 45acp.
Never could afford one, so never loaded with one.
I know the dies are not the same as regular dies.
It's an auto progressive.
Don't really load much pistol.
So how are these presses?????

rbt5050
05-14-2019, 04:16 AM
sdb are excellent presses. that two years go.

kevin c
05-14-2019, 04:51 AM
I've loaded on a SDB for something like 25 years. About 230,000 rounds of pistol (it doesn't load rifle rounds). I've heard that some feel it's hard to use with large hands, but that isn't a problem for me. With preloaded primer tubes I comfortably produce 300 to something over 500 rounds an hour, depending on how exacting I want to be, and which provides me with reliable ammo with good accuracy for what I want it for (action pistol).

The dies, as you seem to know, are proprietary, but aren't expensive.

Cougar Hunter
05-14-2019, 06:18 AM
I bought one new in 2007. Works well.

bosterr
05-14-2019, 07:46 AM
I own two. Dosen't get any better.

jmorris
05-14-2019, 08:44 AM
I have had two for over 30 years, still going strong. Dillon has made them like new a couple times over the years, all it cost me was shipping to them.

They will also send you any parts you might need for free.

Don’t really load much pistol.

Unfortunately, it won’t me of much use to you.

bullet maker 57
05-14-2019, 08:52 AM
I have one set up for 38 spcl. Very reliable. Dillon sent plastic priming parts when needed. No charge.

kmw1954
05-14-2019, 10:24 AM
A for what it's worth opinion.

When the discussion or progressive presses comes up everyone right way jumps to the big Dillons, Hornady and lastly the LoadMaster. Which is fine as they are great presses and do a lot of work. Buy we skip over the Dillon SDB and the Lee Pro1000. It is my belief that these two presses are forgotten and do not get the credit they deserve. Not everyone needs a 5 station progressive press.

I also think I am in the minority that places these two presses in the same category. They are both about the same size, both primarily built as a pistol loading press and even though the Dillon has a 4th station it really is just as 3 die set up as the 4th station just drops powder. Both can crank out incredible amounts of ammo in a short period of time.

When I started back into reloading a few years ago I knew 2 things. One was that once again I would only be reloading pistols and the Second thing was I knew I didn't want to do it again on a single stage press. The SDB and the Pro1000 are the 2 primary presses I looked at and stated watch for a used one. I finally went with the Lee just because of the dies. Now if I was going to set up a press for just one caliber that wouldn't have been an issue but as it is now I have dies and shell plates for my Pro1000 for; 38/357, 9mm, 40S&W, 380 and 45acp, and I actually have and use a second set of 9mm dies.

onelight
05-14-2019, 10:55 AM
A for what it's worth opinion.

When the discussion or progressive presses comes up everyone right way jumps to the big Dillons, Hornady and lastly the LoadMaster. Which is fine as they are great presses and do a lot of work. Buy we skip over the Dillon SDB and the Lee Pro1000. It is my belief that these two presses are forgotten and do not get the credit they deserve. Not everyone needs a 5 station progressive press.

I also think I am in the minority that places these two presses in the same category. They are both about the same size, both primarily built as a pistol loading press and even though the Dillon has a 4th station it really is just as 3 die set up as the 4th station just drops powder. Both can crank out incredible amounts of ammo in a short period of time.

When I started back into reloading a few years ago I knew 2 things. One was that once again I would only be reloading pistols and the Second thing was I knew I didn't want to do it again on a single stage press. The SDB and the Pro1000 are the 2 primary presses I looked at and stated watch for a used one. I finally went with the Lee just because of the dies. Now if I was going to set up a press for just one caliber that wouldn't have been an issue but as it is now I have dies and shell plates for my Pro1000 for; 38/357, 9mm, 40S&W, 380 and 45acp, and I actually have and use a second set of 9mm dies.
:goodpost:

dverna
05-14-2019, 11:10 AM
I have owned two and they are good machines but I preferred having a case feeder so sold them when I could afford to upgrade. Bought both of them used and never had a problem with them that I could not solve easily. Never did die or primer size changes on them so once dialed in they just ran.

You will enjoy using it.

AnthonyB
05-14-2019, 12:03 PM
I have two of them, set up in 9mm and 45 ACP. They are great presses, but most of my loading is still done on a Rockchucker. Loading on the single stage is relaxing; the progressives require concentration. I am retired and shoot so I can reload, so the time isn't a major factor for me. Still, the two SBDs are not headed down the road anytime soon.
Tony

Kraschenbirn
05-14-2019, 12:19 PM
I guess I've had mine nearly 30 years now and, even though I've got a .45ACP conversion, it's stayed set up for .38/.357 for the last 20. Dunno how many rounds of .38 Spl it's loaded (I bought it from a guy who was 'upgrading') but it still works as good as the day I brought it home. Never had to pay for a single replacement part, either...just called Dillon, explained the issue, and waited for the package to appear in my mailbox.

Bill

FLINTNFIRE
05-14-2019, 12:40 PM
l bought my first used in late 90's have bought a few new and more then a few used , have rebuilt a couple as parts were worn or on one frame was broken , dillon replaced it with a new frame , and have sent free parts on several occasions , other times I have ordered upgraded parts and conversions , they are a excellent press for pistol caliber .

I had a lee pro 1000 , had it set up with case feeder and bullet feeder and when it was fine tuned and running it was great , but it would hit a snag or misfeed and it was tune it in again , the sdb has some quirks to mostly in the primer feeding , though the original one in 45acp has a quirk in station 1 the sizing die have to use a little finger pressure to line some cases up , the later presses have a set screw at station 4 which adjusts shellplate (or so I was told by dillon tech.) and they said send it in for fix , station 2 is the primer seating belling case and powder drop , station 4 is crimping .

I have bought a few and gave them to son and son in law and am set up with only 1 that I switch calibers on that is the 38 special and 357 magnum as its 4 bolts off 4 bolts on , should do it for 45acp and 45 gap but acp is large primer gap is small primer .

You will like it if you shoot a lot or like to load a lot , buy a new caliber pistol buy another sdb or conversion , am loading 38special 357 mag. 45gap 45acp 38 super 40 s&w 9mm , son has his in 9mm son in law has 9mm 40 s&w conversion and 45 acp so 9 presses and 5 conversion sets .Yes we like the square deal b .

jmorris
05-14-2019, 07:13 PM
I also think I am in the minority that places these two presses in the same category. They are both about the same size, both primarily built as a pistol loading press and even though the Dillon has a 4th station it really is just as 3 die set up as the 4th station just drops powder.

The SD is
#1 deprime/size
#2 prime, expand/flare and powder charge
#3 bullet seat
#4 bullet crimp

kmw1954
05-14-2019, 07:46 PM
The SD is
#1 deprime/size
#2 prime, expand/flare and powder charge
#3 bullet seat
#4 bullet crimp

I stand corrected.

onelight
05-14-2019, 08:08 PM
Friend gave me a Dillon SDB in 45acp.
Never could afford one, so never loaded with one.
I know the dies are not the same as regular dies.
It's an auto progressive.
Don't really load much pistol.
So how are these presses?????
You pick your friends well nice gift.
Enjoy , what I hear they are a great press.:drinks:

Larry Gibson
05-14-2019, 08:20 PM
I've had my SDB for 30 years also. I've loaded thousands upon thousands of 9mm, 38 SPL, 357 Magnum, 41 magnum, 44 SPL, 44 Magnum, 45 ACP and 45 Colt on mine with nary a catch. Mount it on a solid bench so there is no flex or bounce to it during operation. I also have a 550B and use the SDB more often when loading a gob of pistol cartridges.

Good friend you have.

15meter
05-14-2019, 11:03 PM
I too had a SDB given to me about 15 years ago, still have it. It is a great press. Use it for 45 ACP, 38 Special and 45 Colt. Used to do 44 Mag also.

I have a RL550b for 30-06 and 30 carbine. I'll continue to load the pistol stuff on the SDB.

All the other stuff I'll keep using the Rockchucker or the T-mag.

They all have their place and I wouldn't be with out the SDB.

hotshot357
05-15-2019, 02:56 PM
I bought a SDB as my first press. I bought a lever rifle in .30-30 and decided to trade it in on a 550. Six months later my trade in was still there. I shot him a price and my LGS took it. I bought the same press twice and I'm still $19.00 under MSRP!!!! They are great little presses. They do straight walled pistol ammo like a "champ. Another plus is that the warranty is still good for you. Set it up and have FUN!!!!241760

Walter Laich
05-15-2019, 04:00 PM
another happy SDB user. Actually mine was a SD when I got it. Dillon sent upgrade parts to get it to SDB

I do have a tube that runs to a bucket for primers now as well as a replacement clamp for the powder measure--it's spring-loaded so you don't have to screw/unscrew the clamp every time you remove the measure.

still like the original powder measure set-up with the two springs vs. the new one that has a bellcrank and such.

extra tool heads mean I don't have to readjust dies switching from caliber to caliber.

Big Wes
05-17-2019, 05:43 AM
I picked up a used one set up for 45 acp. several years ago for $75.00 to go along with the 550b I started with 20+ years ago Works great so all I load on it is 45's Nothing wrong with the SDB excellent press although limited to pistols only. Also picked up a used 650 last year, so I have three presses mounted to my bench.

You'll enjoy your SDB and you have a really good friend indeed!

kmw1954
05-17-2019, 11:27 AM
Believe me if someone gifted me one or I was able to find a used one for under $150.00 it would be on my bench. Now a 550 or 650 would be passed on to someone that would give it love as I just don't care for the 550 and the 650 is more press than I will ever need for my humble reloading but there is just something about the SDB that intrigues me.

gunnie
05-18-2019, 07:48 PM
I bought a second hand SDB 2yrs ago, paid $400 for it. It was an older model, possibly 15yrs old, but seemed to work ok. Decided to pull it apart and carry out the recommended servicing & found that a few parts were worn and had to be replaced. I bought a SDB spare parts kit and that covered most of what had to be replaced. The other parts I chased up from a Dillon supplier over in Western Aust (I'm on the east coast). So by this stage I was into the press for about $480-odd. Still better than a new one at over $600 here.

I was told it had 40S&W & 9mm dies with it, nope, 40S&W only. So had to buy a 9mm conversion kit - $155.

The press had now churned out around 2000rds of 9mm and I'm quite happy with it. It allows flexibilty if I want to feed fired cases into #1, size & remove then replace with a cleaned/prepped case in #2.
I'm actively looking for another second hand SDB so I can set it up for my 357Mag.

RP
05-19-2019, 12:39 AM
If it has the old primer system on it with the plastic guides Dillon with replace it with the upgrade btw.

JeepHammer
05-22-2019, 08:04 AM
I bought my first one over 20 years ago, in .45 ACP and all my .45 ACP ammo gets loaded on it.
Probably had 400,000 rounds loaded on it,
Went back to Dillon twice (probably needs it again), and I own both XL650 & Super 1050, neither one does any better job on short pistol than the SBD.

9mm isn't nearly as particular as .45 ACP, and the SBD simply does a REALLY fine job on them.

If you don't load much pistol of any kind, it's not worth changing calibers, so consider selling it for something that does rifle, if it's all there and in pretty good shape, it's worth about 75%-80% of new price.

Iowa Fox
05-22-2019, 11:02 PM
I've got one with 2 sets of dies that I have owned for a long time. It most stays set up for 45 acp, I like it.

AnthonyB
05-22-2019, 11:18 PM
This thread has convinced me to load 9mm on my SDB when I get home.
Tony

David2011
05-28-2019, 01:10 AM
Had a SDB with 9mm and .45 ACP conversions along with a 550 and a 650. I liked the SDB but it was duplicated by the 550. An opportunity came along to swap it for a Ponsness Warren 12/20 gauge press that was handy for Cowboy Action loading. Had that not happened it would still be on my bench. I do like being able to crimp separately from seating on the bigger presses.

Lloyd Smale
05-28-2019, 07:38 AM
used to have 5 of them. Lost them in a fire. Ill say this. If all I was ever going to load was 45acps it would be THE press id want on the bench. Actually switching calibers is not big deal on them. Takes maybe 5 more minutes that switching a 550 or any other progressive. Dies cost a bit more. but they will flat out MAKE SOME ammo. I keep threatening to get one in 9mm because I load for 9s about every week.

jmorris
05-28-2019, 09:06 AM
I do like being able to crimp separately from seating on the bigger presses.

Not sure I understand this, the SD seats in #3 and crimps in #4 and because they use proprietary dies you couldn’t even buy dies that would allow you to seat and crimp at the same station.

Larry Gibson
05-28-2019, 09:36 AM
Not sure I understand this, the SD seats in #3 and crimps in #4 and because they use proprietary dies you couldn’t even buy dies that would allow you to seat and crimp at the same station.

That is correct. The "Dies" are separate inserts that fit into the station holes in the top of the press. A separate tool head caps the top and contains the decap assembly (station 1), the powder thrower die (station 2), seating stem (station 3) and adjustment for crimp (station 4).

JeepHammer
05-28-2019, 09:44 AM
What the SBD brings to the table is no bullet feeder...
I know this sounds counter productive :(

Guys with bullet feeders know the shorter & wider the bullet is, the harder it is to get it to feed nose up.
A flipped bullet is a PITA!

For me, .45 bullets are easy to handle (fat fingers) so loading short/fat .45 is pretty fast for me, while light, round nose .45 causes the most issues in the bullet feeders.

Make no mistake, the 650 will WAY out run the SBD in production, but the SBD has about zero quality culls, and having MY TIME to watch the process also seems to produce better ammo quality.

anothernewb
05-28-2019, 10:29 AM
IMO it's my favorite press of all currently available. loaded over 100K on mine before I gave it away to a friend. (got a screaming deal on a 650) and sometimes I wish I hadn't given it away.

I think it's probably the easiest progressive press to learn.

David2011
05-29-2019, 12:55 AM

I guess that shows how little effort it took to load on it. I swapped it off several years ago and didn’t even remember that it crimped separately. It didn’t get the use that the 550 did.

JeepHammer
05-29-2019, 01:08 AM
IMO it's my favorite press of all currently available. loaded over 100K on mine before I gave it away to a friend. (got a screaming deal on a 650) and sometimes I wish I hadn't given it away.

I think it's probably the easiest progressive press to learn.

Wish I had friends that gave me Dillon presses! ;)

Lloyd Smale
05-30-2019, 07:33 AM
yup anyone one here can feel free to be my friend!
Wish I had friends that gave me Dillon presses! ;)

jmorris
05-30-2019, 09:00 AM
I can’t give away any of my SD’s but my ideas are free.

How about a case feeder for the SD?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUdzxJenkX0

kevin c
06-01-2019, 02:55 AM
Jmorris, your ideas are not only free, they're great! Problem is, not many of us can translate the great idea into a functional piece of equipment like you can.

PhatForrest
07-12-2019, 11:54 PM
I picked up two used ones for $300. One is dedicated .45acp and the other goes between 9mm and 40S&W. They crank out good ammo like there's no tomorrow.

6bg6ga
07-13-2019, 08:46 AM
If you have large hands or arthritis you will not be happy because of the limited space. Having said that I owned one for years and it worked fine.

jeffs4wheeler
07-13-2019, 12:34 PM
I have three square deal presses one of the best.

bgw45
07-13-2019, 08:31 PM
If you have large hands or arthritis you will not be happy because of the limited space. Having said that I owned one for years and it worked fine.

I have the hand issues. Finally parting with my SDB this coming Monday. You're right, it does turn out great ammo.l would miss it if a 650 wasn't on the bench. Gotta admit I am thankful.