PDA

View Full Version : Getting a Colt Offical Police for a song need advice

trickyasafox
10-22-2008, 10:14 PM
Hi all!

This will probably be long, so I apologize in advance.

I was home this past weekend and stopped by the local gunshop. They had a aesthetically molested but mechanically sound Colt OP in 38spl.

I called him to see if he would take a good bit off the sticker, and he thinks he can meet me at a manageable price.

Bluing is near non-existent on the front 2/3rds of the pistol. the lock work and timing seemed to be great, but I wondered the following:

1- assuming its not a rare gun, (I heard nearly 400,000 were produced, maybe you guys know for sure?) has anyone used DuraBake to refinish a pistol?

2- Are python grips really interchangeable? I can get cheapie python grips from CDNN for 10-20 dollars and wouldn't mind sprucing the pistol up a bit.

3-I heard that the OP is actually a fairly strong frame for a 38spl. I really have no plans for it for anything other than mild to medium 38 loads, but are there any quirks I should look out for?

4-Any general information or good links on these guns? I've had a heck of a time tracking down information on them. the one I saw was a 4in for what its worth.

5- silly question, but I'm guessing these are regulated for 158gr bullets right? I have never owned a fixed sight gun before, and was curious what best to load up for it first.

6- final question (promise!) were there any significant changes to the pistol over its course of production? If I read right they made the gun for 65 or so years- did the metallurgy change significantly? any parts not compatable with certain vintages?

thanks all!

Mike

nicholst55
10-23-2008, 12:48 AM
Yes, the Python grips should fit. You may need to relieve the grip frame just a tad to clear the grip screw, though - I had to on my Army Special (same frame).

I'm certainly no expert either, but AFAIK the only variations during production life should be fairly minor.

I would expect your gun's sights to be regulated for 158 grain bullets at about 850 FPS, and that's what I'd start with.

oldhickory
10-23-2008, 04:45 AM
These are FINE revolvers and shoot exceptionally well! The 1950s one that I have, (6" bbl.) shoots a bit high, but like Bill said, it's the same frame and lockwork as the Python, just not hand tuned to the same "perfection".

The .41 frame started life in 1889 as the New Navy in .38 and .41 Colt. The lock work in the old Army and Navy models is totally different, but the basic frame size was there. It went through several model changes before Colt arrived at the "Army Special" the final IMPROVED version, (they wisely coppied the New Service and scaled it down). Colt hoped for military contracts on this gun, but never got any until the second world war as the Colt Commando. In the 20s the name was changed to reflect the true market, and it became the Official Police.

I've read that the O.P. will handle +P, but I've never seen the need. For me, it's a gun to relax with and pop cans or punch paper. Mine is typical old school Colt, it shoots high.

Bret4207
10-23-2008, 06:02 AM
I have both a Officers Model OP and Army Special, both on the same frame. Very nice guns, fine triggers, accurate. Not sure on the +P, but since they warn against hot 32-20 loads I would think the same rule applies to the 38's. The later models have better heat treatment/steel I imagine, so they could do the 357 thing.