PDA

View Full Version : PSA Stripped Lowers

alamogunr
05-13-2019, 01:15 PM
I keep seeing stripped lowers at low prices. Palmetto State Armory always shows several on their site with different stamping/engraving. Also at different times one or another will be on sale for a very good price. I'm guessing that these are all the same, just different stamping, ie. "Safe Fire", "Reaper", "Freedom 15 to mention a few. Does anyone know different?

I'm looking real hard at a "Today's Special" (https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-ar-15-lower-safe-fire-1728.html). Any reason not to jump on it?

Texas by God
05-13-2019, 01:23 PM
Get several. Palmetto makes good parts and rifles. Anderson does too. I have two PSA rifles that are fully equal to the more costly SA Saint and FN15 that I also have.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

alamogunr
05-13-2019, 01:30 PM
I got an estimate of $27 to ship 3 lowers. This still sounds like a good deal. ??

alamogunr
05-13-2019, 01:36 PM
That shipping cost works out to $9 per lower. If I add one to the order it increases the shipping $9. I guess that allows for the low price. Still a good deal just not a flaming good deal.

Texas by God
05-13-2019, 02:43 PM
About $40 each tyd? That's still a good deal. Save a couple for the next panic; you won't lose money. These ARE the good old days in AR world.

3leggedturtle
05-13-2019, 02:46 PM
[QUOTE=Texas by God;4646034]About $40 each tyd? That's still a good deal. Save a couple for the next panic; you won't lose money. These ARE the good old days in AR world. QUOTE]

Why am I always broke in the good old days!

jmort
05-13-2019, 03:35 PM
Now is the time to buy AR lowers
Agree, these are the good old days
In November 2020 everthing may be completely different, the bad kind of different
I tend to buy complete lowers, but any lowers, stripped or complete make sense now
Do not get caught sleeping

Texas by God
05-13-2019, 03:37 PM
Because that's how it works. I just turned down a $200 S&W 9mm Shield with FOUR mags today because I bought gun(s) last week and I have a wedding to buy this weekend[emoji38]

BigMagShooter
05-13-2019, 08:16 PM
yes the stripped lowers are good and it's a great price at the moment.
don't foget to get an LPK with it, an upper, barrel and stock. :)

or just wait for their $250 rifle kit to go on sale. everything minus a stripped lower. :)

Kylongrifle32
05-13-2019, 08:48 PM
John
All of PSA lowers are of the same quality and spec. They just run different engraving schemes at limited numbers. They will also have runs of blemished lowers from time to time. I have purchased several of there lowers and uppers but never in the blemished condition. I have friend that have purchased and love the low cost blems. From what they say most have internal machining marks or discoloration on the finish but all will have the same alloy, fit, and strength.

tomme boy
05-13-2019, 09:32 PM
No they are NOT the same lowers. Some are high shelf and some are low shelf. Some are drilled for the bolt with the polymer tip to use for tightening the upper and lower. And there is no rime or reason which it will be when you order them.

alamogunr
05-13-2019, 10:00 PM
Well! I fooled around until it was out of stock. Guess I will have to wait for the next good deal. Don't plan on doing anything with them right now. Will just put them in the safe and wait until I decide what configuration(s) I want.

nicholst55
05-14-2019, 06:22 AM
Well! I fooled around until it was out of stock. Guess I will have to wait for the next good deal. Don't plan on doing anything with them right now. Will just put them in the safe and wait until I decide what configuration(s) I want.

Yeah, you've got to strike quickly on PSA's specials, because they go out of stock very quickly.

Speedo66
05-14-2019, 11:34 AM
AIM Surplus generally has Anderson stripped lowers for $40. Only complaints on those was too short screw hole for grip, but that was a while ago.

jmort
05-14-2019, 11:53 AM
They will be back, sooner, rather than later

jmort
05-14-2019, 12:03 PM
They are back
Surprise
But no free shipping

condorjohn
05-14-2019, 12:12 PM
Why is it I see no mention of the cost of the NCIS check?

jmort
05-14-2019, 12:22 PM
$10 for me
Hard to talk about costs that vary for every FFL

FLINTNFIRE
05-14-2019, 12:48 PM
No cost for the so called instant check , which is always a instant delay for me , but the dealer charges 20 transfer ,so as he sells areo precision lowers for 50-59 its a better buy just buying from him , now the complete lower at palmetto has been great buys , some buy the free shipping and sometimes I pay the shipping as the special without free shipping ends up cheaper , I like psa and have bought from them and probably will again.

Texas by God
05-14-2019, 01:16 PM
Academy in Ft.Worth had Savage and Ruger stripped lowers when I was in there last for around $70. My favorite AR place had Spikes for $50 out the door. The NICS check has always been free down here.

jmort
05-14-2019, 01:19 PM
I was referring to transfer/check all in cost $10
Had an FFL for a couple years that did it for free
But he closed up, so now $10
Which I think is more than fair

Lloyd Smale
05-16-2019, 08:39 AM
Ive bought 8 of them so far and they have all been identical. Couple had those silly stampings but that was the only difference.
No they are NOT the same lowers. Some are high shelf and some are low shelf. Some are drilled for the bolt with the polymer tip to use for tightening the upper and lower. And there is no rime or reason which it will be when you order them.

Earlwb
05-16-2019, 09:51 AM
These are great deals, but it may not be so great if your dealer charges you upwards of $50 each to do the background checks etc for them. I cannot fault the dealers as they have to do the paperwork and save the paperwork forever and not get any money for it either.

alamogunr
05-16-2019, 11:38 PM
The Palmetto Armory deal showed up tonight and I placed my order for three. Shipping is still $9 each but the FFL only charges $15 total for the transaction, or at least that was what it was when I last used him.

When they finally arrive(Palmetto is not the fastest shipper on the net), I imagine they will go into the safe for now. I guess this just shows that I can't resist a deal.

tomme boy
05-17-2019, 06:54 PM
There is also a couple of different FONTS that they use. It depends on which of their factories make them on which you get.

lefty o
05-17-2019, 09:26 PM
The Palmetto Armory deal showed up tonight and I placed my order for three. Shipping is still $9 each but the FFL only charges $15 total for the transaction, or at least that was what it was when I last used him.

When they finally arrive(Palmetto is not the fastest shipper on the net), I imagine they will go into the safe for now. I guess this just shows that I can't resist a deal.

you have the shipping thing dead on. palmetto's shipping is so so slooooooowwwwwwww, i almost never buy from them, no matter how good a deal they are having on something.

Texas by God
05-17-2019, 10:06 PM
When a lot of us were young, it took four to six weeks for something to arrive that you ordered. We are spoiled.

alamogunr
05-17-2019, 10:28 PM
There is also a couple of different FONTS that they use. It depends on which of their factories make them on which you get.

The font makes no difference to me. All the lowers that are basically the same really make no sense to me. When looking over all the stripped lowers there were some that stuck out as being too "other worldly" to me. I guess it might make sense if you are really into AR's. I'm not.

DougGuy
05-17-2019, 10:41 PM
I built with the exact same safe fire PSA multi lower for $39 and it's a great start. Good solid build with zero issues 300BO 10.5" pistol.

Ordered the lower kit with SBA3 and the enhanced polished trigger when it was on sale.

I used the $129 nickel boron BCG when they had it on sale for $79, Flipped the unused BCG that came with the upper for $50 which put me in the nickel boron piece for $29.

Sometimes they will bundle something with the Vortex sight, snatch that up and flip the Vortex for $100 and you get the rest of the bundle for $49 instead of $99.

More than one way to work their scheme to fit your budget.

They went out of their way to make sure my stuff got here before Florence arrived, brown truck brought the last piece as winds were kicking up, I was locked and loaded for the storm, which is exactly why I built when I did.

Edit: I got some used magpul Gen II flip up sights from fleabay for $35 and first range trip LOL dang if they weren't already sighted in @100 without touching nary a thing.

lefty o
05-17-2019, 11:11 PM
When a lot of us were young, it took four to six weeks for something to arrive that you ordered. We are spoiled.

very true, and it seems to me psa still operates that way.

Bulldogger
05-18-2019, 11:56 AM
very true, and it seems to me psa still operates that way.

I gather they deal in bulk arrivals and onesies twosies shipments, and keep staff low to reduce overhead. I don't mind waiting for the price paid!

Bulldogger

Lloyd Smale
05-19-2019, 07:36 AM
guess I don't worry about it. Ive got other guns to shoot. I can live without it for two weeks.
you have the shipping thing dead on. palmetto's shipping is so so slooooooowwwwwwww, i almost never buy from them, no matter how good a deal they are having on something.

jmort
05-19-2019, 08:41 AM
Agree
Yes it is slower, but it gets there.
Specific example
Order 4-25-2019
Ship 5-11-19
11 days is about 10 days longer than many/most vendors
But I want what they got, so 11 days is nothing to me
For others, it will twist the panties
I get that, and it is a fair expectation

lefty o
05-19-2019, 04:02 PM
Agree
Yes it is slower, but it gets there.
Specific example
Order 4-25-2019
Ship 5-11-19
11 days is about 10 days longer than many/most vendors
But I want what they got, so 11 days is nothing to me
For others, it will twist the panties
I get that, and it is a fair expectation

only 11 days isnt bad for psa, ive had them take 3x that long.

Boolit_Head
05-19-2019, 04:44 PM
I'd prefer to find them locally and avoid the transfer fees, around here it's at least $25 per.

Lloyd Smale
05-20-2019, 05:43 AM
psa shipping times as slow because they don't build uppers. When you order one from them they send an order to there builder, they build it and when psa gets it they ship it.
done.Just ordered and upper about 10 minutes ago. Had a lower built and sitting in the safe for my son in law. Ive been procrastinating finishing the gun but found out yesterday hes coming to visit in 3 weeks so it was time to get it done.
Actually the 3rd time ive built it for him. First one went to my hunting buddy for a big favor he did for me. second one went to my son in law for the MANY favors he does for me.

lefty o
05-20-2019, 09:53 AM
psa shipping times as slow because they don't build uppers. When you order one from them they send an order to there builder, they build it and when psa gets it they ship it.
done.Just ordered and upper about 10 minutes ago. Had a lower built and sitting in the safe for my son in law. Ive been procrastinating finishing the gun but found out yesterday hes coming to visit in 3 weeks so it was time to get it done.
Actually the 3rd time ive built it for him. First one went to my hunting buddy for a big favor he did for me. second one went to my son in law for the MANY favors he does for me.

i was just talking parts, not stuff they have to build/assemble.

Lloyd Smale
05-23-2019, 07:39 AM
maybe things are improving there. I ordered an upper on Monday and got an email yesterday that said it was shipped and should be here tommarow.

alamogunr
05-23-2019, 01:15 PM
I got a letter from Palmetto that my FFL's license was going to expire next month. I had to contact him to send it in. He had already received it but hadn't faxed it to Palmetto. Hopefully, he has done so now. The letter said if they didn't receive it in 30 days, the order would be cancelled.

alamogunr
05-25-2019, 09:15 AM
Got an email this morning that my order had shipped. Pretty fast considering they had to get the FFL.