PDA

View Full Version : paw paw wine

leadeye
10-22-2008, 09:07 PM
Picked about a bushel of Heavy Lead's town's namesake fruit at our place down south today and am going to take a shot at making wine out of them. I only find one reciepe on the internet, anybody have any tips?

smokemjoe
10-22-2008, 10:40 PM
I make wine by 1 gallon of berries or furit, about 1 gallon water and about 2.5 lbs. sugar, use only 1/2 the sugar and the rest 4 days later, your get more spirts this way,I dont know what paw - paws are. but if like peaches, your get alot of fiber settlements. dont ever boil furits like this as it breaks down the fiber into your mash. Hope this helps. Takes alot of racking to clear up.

Scrounger
10-23-2008, 12:19 AM
Paw Paws are more like bananas, in fact, I have heard them referred to as Indiana Bananas.

georgeky
10-23-2008, 12:43 AM
Don't have a clue about making wine out of them but we have KY bananas here I reckon. Lots of paw paw's around here. I never cared much for them but then again I never drank them. Might be good stuff. Let us know how it turns out.

I remember hearing my great grand pappy talking about paw paw wine but never tried any.

Good luck with it.

leadeye
10-23-2008, 08:50 AM
Here are some paw paws on my bar before getting started. Thanks for the tips, I will let you know how it comes out.

Heavy lead
10-23-2008, 09:13 AM
I've got to go find some. Cool, never have seen any, of course I didn't have any idea what they looked like either.

Scrounger
10-23-2008, 01:47 PM
I've got to go find some. Cool, never have seen any, of course I didn't have any idea what they looked like either.

Check it out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pawpaw

smokemjoe
10-23-2008, 05:30 PM
If it dont come out you can cook it some evening.

leadeye
10-23-2008, 06:50 PM

White Owl Winery in Birds Illinois has paw paw wine. Pricy but good, my better half loves it. I should get about 4-5 gallons out of this batch if everything works out.:drinks:

leadeye
10-23-2008, 06:51 PM
If it dont come out you can cook it some evening.

I have some apple brandy, fine stuff. I never thought about paw paw brandy.

leadeye
12-28-2008, 01:21 PM
Started botteling the paw paw wine, it came out very good. Used Somkemjoe's tip about feeding in the sugar slowly, it came out strong and slightly sweet. It did clear after several rackings, we have about 5 gallons. We served it for Christmas dinner and my son's took some back with them. Should have enough to last for a while, I enjoy a glass while in the site chat room in the evenings. It has an interesting taste, sort of like a cross between apples and strawberries, not sharp at all, sort of smooth and buttery.:drinks:

bobk
12-28-2008, 04:03 PM
And no, I can't provide a reference for this, read it long ago, but I recall that there is some alkoloid in Paw Paw that causes, or makes worse, the symptoms of Parkinson's Disease. I don't know what sort of preparation could reduce this effect. Thought about planting it. Miller Nurseries has it, I think.
Bob K

badgeredd
12-28-2008, 09:27 PM

YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING!!!!!!!!!!!!![smilie=1:

HEHEHEHE:D:D:D

EDD

P.S. I was told that the best place to look for them is where there has been a cleared field that has become overgrown with scrub brush. I know a friend that lives on the west side of your town has 2 trees on the edge of his woods. He said that there are not near as many around there as his Dad remembers, he's into his late 80s.

Heavy lead
12-28-2008, 10:35 PM
I will search a little harder Edd, you would think I would've seen some by now, guess I need to get out more.:p

leadeye
12-28-2008, 10:42 PM
Must be harder to find in Michigan, they are all over the southern Indiana woods.

Hardcast416taylor
12-29-2008, 01:13 PM
HMMMM.... This could be the reason we refer to the citizens of Northern Mich. as oopers! Too much Paw-Paw wine....:groner: Robert