PDA

View Full Version : Llama .380 1911 clone

atr
05-11-2019, 01:35 PM
I am thinking of buying a Llama .380 semi-automatic pistol / the action is based on the 1911/.45cal.
because of its size i will be using it as a concealed carry.
has anyone used this type of handgun and if so what were your impressions.
thanks
atr

marlin39a
05-11-2019, 01:58 PM
I've seen a few years ago. I cleaned one up, and took it to the range about 25 yrs ago. It wasn't well built, or fitted. It was not dependable. Typical Llama junk. There are much better choices out there.

Texas by God
05-11-2019, 02:03 PM
The Star BM 9mm is a better Spanish pistol for probably less money IMO. I've fired two of the Llamas; they functioned ok but accuracy wasn't stellar.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

onelight
05-11-2019, 02:58 PM
I think they are back in production again I think imported by eagle imports /metro arms.
I have had both the old LLama 22lr and 380 they were ok although the 22 would blow the case head with stingers , and 380 would only feed rn ammo.For me they would have to be really cheap to buy again.:p
If you are looking at the new ones I have no experience with them.

Der Gebirgsjager
05-11-2019, 03:53 PM
click to enlarge.

I've got 3 of them, all of the older original Llama version, all .380s. I also heard that they are making them again, different company in a different factory, and can not speak to the newer version.

The ones that I have are made well, function well, and are satisfactorily accurate for a close range self-defense pistol. I'd say good to 15 yards, maybe not so good at 25 yards, but at 25 yards I might consider flight to be a better option than fight, depending.

What they have going for them is that they're cute and 1911-like which makes owning one hard to resist, are a steel framed pistol, and are very concealable. But, they aren't a modern handgun by any means. Some things you should consider are that they are not double action, so they're best carried with the hammer down on an empty chamber which results in time loss to rack the slide, or cocked and locked in a holster with a safety strap that passes between the hammer and slide. Another thing to consider is that there are now many models of small pistol in 9mm Luger, a definite step up from the .380 ACP. Also, if you load the diminutive Llama with high performance .380 ammo you will know that fact when you fire it; being as it is similar to the 1911 in design and recoils much the same, certainly not as much as a .45 ACP, but noticeably more than some of the newer designs shooting the same ammo.

BigAlofPa.
05-11-2019, 04:09 PM
I have RIA baby rock it runs good. I do like my walther pk380 better though. Baby rock next to a full size 1911.

onelight
05-11-2019, 06:40 PM
click to enlarge.

I've got 3 of them, all of the older original Llama version, all .380s. I also heard that they are making them again, different company in a different factory, and can not speak to the newer version.

The ones that I have are made well, function well, and are satisfactorily accurate for a close range self-defense pistol. I'd say good to 15 yards, maybe not so good at 25 yards, but at 25 yards I might consider flight to be a better option than fight, depending.

What they have going for them is that they're cute and 1911-like which makes owning one hard to resist, are a steel framed pistol, and are very concealable. But, they aren't a modern handgun by any means. Some things you should consider are that they are not double action, so they're best carried with the hammer down on an empty chamber which results in time loss to rack the slide, or cocked and locked in a holster with a safety strap that passes between the hammer and slide. Another thing to consider is that there are now many models of small pistol in 9mm Luger, a definite step up from the .380 ACP. Also, if you load the diminutive Llama with high performance .380 ammo you will know that fact when you fire it; being as it is similar to the 1911 in design and recoils much the same, certainly not as much as a .45 ACP, but noticeably more than some of the newer designs shooting the same ammo.
I bought mine for the same reason you did they are cute and even have a grip saftey.
I actually shot a few squirrels with the 22.

lotech
05-12-2019, 09:12 AM
I bought a Llama .380 new almost fifty years ago. It was unsafe and would sometimes fire more than one round with a single trigger pull.

Conditor22
05-12-2019, 11:54 AM
the Llama 1911-like 9MM's bore slugs out at .358. much larger than regular 9MM. That could be a good reason they are found to be not as accurate. I cast and load .359 boolits and the only accuracy problem is ME. I have had no other problems with the firearm. The .380 may be oversized also

Like all firearms you cast for, you need to slug the barrel/slug or cast the chamber before choosing a mold and casting for it. IF you PC this isn't as critical.

johniv
05-12-2019, 01:34 PM
I've had a Llama ,380 for at least 30 years. It has always worked well. Only shoot factory loads as I find load ,380. Not the finest finished pistol, by any means, but it functions just fine.
FWIW
John

rintinglen
05-12-2019, 03:11 PM
I have a 380 that is a 7 shot, 8 shot pistol. It always fails to feed the the last round from the magazine, the first half dozen run fine from the magazine, the last invariably hangs up. All four Magazines do the same thing. Some day I may sit down with a gun smith and try to figure it out.

bpatterson84
05-12-2019, 05:51 PM
Browning makes a couple really nice mini 1911's in sub calibers. Here's the 380, the .22 is threaded and a nice suppressor host.

lar45
05-12-2019, 08:46 PM
I think that the Llamas are a little soft, probably fine for most shooting, but I wouldn't hot rod it.

onelight
05-13-2019, 08:21 AM
Here is a review of the new LLama Micromax
https://loadoutroom.com/thearmsguide/first-look-llama-micromax-380-1911/

Der Gebirgsjager
05-13-2019, 09:18 AM
Thank you, onelight, for posting the link. I watched it this morning over a cup of coffee, and thought it well worth the time. If one of the new models comes my way I'll have trouble resisting a purchase. The changes are quite interesting when comparing the old models to the new one. Gone is the original ventilated rib on top of the slide, definitely improved sights, and the bobbed butt. All in all it looks like an attractive, well-made pistol.

The pistol, when still made by the Gabilondo Company in Spain, underwent some evolution, which is why I have 3 in my accumulation. The vent rib became solid, and the original Browning linked barrel lost the link and became a blowback much as is shown in the film.

I had not previously heard of Metro Arms, and watching the film it would appear that they are also re-creating the Max-1, another interesting pistol and the full-sized 1911 copy. The entire history of the Llama pistols is fascinating to read about. I always liked them, but also realized that they aren't/weren't quite the quality of a Colt. One of the big complaints about them was that the parts of the look-a-like IX-A pistols were completely incompatible with being interchanged with Colt parts, but the final edition (Max-1) had a lot of parts that were the same and the quality was the best they ever produced.

atr
05-13-2019, 10:23 AM
I was impressed watching the review and then the test firing of the Micromax.
thanks for that link.

bob208
05-13-2019, 12:35 PM
I have one in .32 auto. very reliable as has every other one I have shot. carry it just like the 1911 cocked and locked.

GOPHER SLAYER
05-13-2019, 01:08 PM
I owned the Lama 380 for a short time, a very short time. The one I had would not hold the hammer in cocked position. I took it apart and saw instantly that it is in no way a 1911 design. The link between the trigger and hammer is external, Like the 1934 Nambo. It was a piece of junk. There was no way anyone could fix it. It quickly went down the road. I told the friend who bought it exactly what I have just told you. He also quickly passed it on.

LUBEDUDE
05-13-2019, 02:32 PM
I have 3 of them. 2/ 380, and one 32. They are 70/80 vintage. I haven’t shot the 32 much, but I’ve put the 380s through the ringer. In fact, one of the 380s is one of my shop hideouts, so I trust my life to it.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190513/6f254c75cbca67e2c98bb8a9dd5572fb.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190513/e689269b89fde623293b818531a58c4e.jpg

These aftermarket oversized grips feel nice on the small gun.

mattw
05-13-2019, 02:49 PM
I owned on in a fullsize 9mm. At the time, I was dead broke and one came to me at a good price. I shot it for a good while and had some issues with reliablility. Feed ramp work fixed most of the reliability issues, but the slide cracked from the firing pin straight down. Was not worth the repair, sold it for parts as many of the parts are not 1911 interchangeable. I would love one of the little 32's, but would not pay a premium for it.

LUBEDUDE
05-13-2019, 03:18 PM
Evidently from reading the experiences here on this thread, the early ones seem to be the more reliable ones.

I also have a 38 Super Llama that’s been in my family for over 50 years. Many thousands of rounds have been digested. Other than re-bluing, it’s never had anything done to it besides cleaning. However, the trigger is pretty craptacular and could use an overhaul. Or maybe I’m being a triggersnob, being used to nice 1911s.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190513/13ef9cca82b4595c31e723cf4acae08d.jpg

bob208
05-13-2019, 05:06 PM
I was looking to buy some extra mags. found out not all are the same the later were made by a different manufacturer. the early were the best.