PDA

View Full Version : How do I Title This One?

docone31
10-22-2008, 04:45 PM
I went around, and around. I finally sent my dies to our sponsor, Lee Precision. Actually one of our sponsors.
They are/have modified my die set to fit my rifle, and fired cases. No problemo.
They are easy to work with.
Well,
I also ordered a mold for my .30s. Also a Lee Precision. I am getting the one that is 180gns.
I figuired, the nose will measure about .301, the driving bands/lube bands, .309-.310.
I plan on paper patching for the .30s.
So,
I had some .314 for my .303 all made up. I just went to check to see whether my .309 sizing die could size those patches. They measured, .317-.318.
I smeared a little JPW on the patch, I also tried some Turtle Wax. Well doggone it, they passed right through the .309 die without wrecking the patch!!!!!!!!
I was gonna size, .304, then .301, then wrap with notebook paper. I can size .308, then two wraps of notebook paper, then size .314, then .309! That will be my start point.
If that works, I will be impressed. Usually things do not go that way for me. If I need to size .311 for the .30s, I have a die for that also!
Mainly, I am impressed that I could size that much without the patch getting messed up. They are tough little suckers!
I measured the after sizing diameter, .3095! It has been a bit since they were sized, still the same. The paper did not relax.
My pants just got shorter!!!

pdawg_shooter
10-23-2008, 08:26 AM
I give all my patched bullets a final pass through a sizing die. Im to the point I leave all my 30 cals .304, patch them and lube and size .310 or .315 depending on the round Im loading that day. Works great. Just vary your BHN to the round and the game you are using it on!