PDA

View Full Version : 300BLK Home Defense Round

Arisaka99
05-09-2019, 11:20 AM
Hi All,

In looking at available 300BLK rounds, there are a lot of people touting "maximum expansion" or "extra deep penetrating" for their ammo.

The problem I have is that my daughters' room is close to the front door, so I am concerned about over-penetration.

At the moment, I have a mixed magazine of Cor-Bon DPX and some 123gn FMJ's I was given. (That's all the ammo I currently have.)

I am shooting an 8" 300BLK pistol with a KAK Shockwave Brake.

Are subsonic rounds better, or would a 125gn super (or similar) be a better choice to minimize over-penetration?
When I had a 5.56, I kept 55gn Varmint Tipped rounds in it. I was told that would be my best bet as they will break up more readily in drywall (high velocity, low weight) than most other 5.56 bullets.

In short, Subs or Supers, and what type bullet should I be looking for?

Thanks!
Chris

lefty o
05-09-2019, 11:26 AM
just about anything from a rifle is going to over penetrate, even varmint bullets, and frangibles. a stud and sheetrock wall just dont have the mass to quickly stop a projectile with just 1 wall.

mattw
05-09-2019, 11:37 AM
I would agree with that assessment. It takes a certain amount of energy to cycle the action, that results in a higher speed required for your bullet. I would think the best option might be a subsonic fragnible, if you have a place to test it... I would encourage you to do so. I have stuck with a 45 and a couple of 32's around the house just for this reason. I did have an old house that I got to shoot up and test loads in at one time. Both it and my real house are lathe and plaster, so I do get away with more power.

WebMonkey
05-09-2019, 12:02 PM
Subsonic.

While not exactly the same obviously, a 300blk sub projectile is close to "pistol" ballistics. Large diameter/heavy/less than fast pistols that is.

Subsonic is by definition slow in comparison to just about everything.

So a target speed of 950fps of a 230ish grn projectile.

:)

shortlegs
05-09-2019, 01:49 PM
Guns &Ammo TV had a segment on Hornady defensive Blackout ammo. Said it was designed NOT to over penetrate. Check it out.

Texas by God
05-09-2019, 03:14 PM
Mine is loaded with Speer 150gr fp @ 1900fps in case a feral wanders by.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Earlwb
05-09-2019, 07:25 PM
Probably the Polycase Inceptor Ammuntion is what you are looking for. It uses a special plastic bullet. They happen to make it in .300 AAC too.
ref https://www.inceptorammo.com/inceptor-product/sport-utility-ammo/
The bullets may still cause some injuries after going through a wall or door or something, but it should be much less though.

pacomdiver
05-09-2019, 10:15 PM
what about handloading some of the ww2 3006 frangable bullets they used in the bombers for training? they are a bakelite tip with a green band

https://www.cdvs.us/product/30-06-frangible-projectiles-100-projectile-pack/
https://frangiblebullets.com/308-125gr-Frangible-100-count-FREE-SHIPPING.html

jmort
05-10-2019, 12:06 AM
125 grain SSTs

Springfield
05-10-2019, 12:50 AM
Shotgun with birdshot.

osteodoc08
05-10-2019, 01:14 AM
My 300 BLK is loaded with 20gr 296 and 110gr Zmax for my general all purpose load, including home protection.

Loudy13
05-10-2019, 05:01 PM
Hornady makes a 190gr subsonic round that is supposed to have great expansion at sub speeds, we have tested it on some critters and they are not lying.

popper
05-10-2019, 06:24 PM
IMHO I would not use the BO pistol for in house defense. For an 8" it may be hard to get reliable cycling with heavy bullet and pistol powder. Heavy and clunky for rapid use and no more firepower than a standard SA in 9 or 40. HV anything penetrates. I tried 5gr of cfe pistol and 100 gr hornady plinkers in my 10", quiet and accurate but won't cycle. Still dinged a steel plate pretty good @ 25 yds. Anything you shoot inside when dark will leave you deaf and blind for a while so make the first one count.

Texas by God
05-11-2019, 12:23 AM
The hp jacketed <100gr bullets meant for the 7.62 Mauser/Tok loaded to the gills should be a good choice in the BO assuming function is 100%. You should be able to get 2500 fps from them.

Stephen Cohen
05-11-2019, 04:39 AM
For what it's worth I would be very reluctant to use any rifle cartridge around my children's rooms, shotgun with light bird shot would be as high as I would be willing to go. Many years ago I had reason to keep a loaded gun at hand, it was a 12 gauge with shot removed and replaced with soap or wax, one of those centre of mass and the intruder wanted out when he could get up. It don't take long to drop a shot cartridge in if really needed. I don't know of anyone who could live with the knowledge they shot a child. Regards Stephen

Lloyd Smale
05-16-2019, 08:42 AM
I don't know if my bo is a dedicated home defense gun or not. I have 12 ars and all of them are in the bedroom safe and loaded. The black out with a full power load and 125 ballistic tips.

Lloyd Smale
05-16-2019, 08:47 AM
IMHO I would not use the BO pistol for in house defense. For an 8" it may be hard to get reliable cycling with heavy bullet and pistol powder. Heavy and clunky for rapid use and no more firepower than a standard SA in 9 or 40. HV anything penetrates. I tried 5gr of cfe pistol and 100 gr hornady plinkers in my 10", quiet and accurate but won't cycle. Still dinged a steel plate pretty good @ 25 yds. Anything you shoot inside when dark will leave you deaf and blind for a while so make the first one count.

well I kind of have to argue. An 8 inch bo is capable of pushing a 125 grain bt to 2200 fps. That's twice the velocity of the average 9mm shooting the same bullet. If you think there even close go and shoot some steel with both and see how much harder that bo hits. Now if your just talking sub sonic then ill agree. What you basically have is a 9mm. but that said ALOT of people defend there homes with a 9mm and most of them would be better off with a 8 in ar pistol with a arm brace and a red dot then a glock. That said I think its pretty silly to even consider downloading a home defense gun. Shooting through walls?? I could care less. My wife and I live here. ANYONE else in ANY room is fair game. Personaly id rather have a load that will shoot through a door or wall in case the need arises.

Earlwb
05-16-2019, 09:48 AM
For what it's worth I would be very reluctant to use any rifle cartridge around my children's rooms, shotgun with light bird shot would be as high as I would be willing to go. Many years ago I had reason to keep a loaded gun at hand, it was a 12 gauge with shot removed and replaced with soap or wax, one of those centre of mass and the intruder wanted out when he could get up. It don't take long to drop a shot cartridge in if really needed. I don't know of anyone who could live with the knowledge they shot a child. Regards Stephen

That is a good point, if armed thugs break into your home, and you shoot one or more of them, nowadays the media will rake you over the hot coals for shooting underaged thugs even if the monsters were armed. Not counting the lawsuits from the family members too.

Texas by God
05-17-2019, 10:09 PM
Speer 110 grain hollow point for the 30/30 would work just fine I believe.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190518/bcbf2e678b755ba7f697187b949aca75.jpg

DougGuy
05-17-2019, 10:56 PM
Mine is loaded with 220gr subs basically the same energy as 45 ACP. It's probably more penetrative than the 45, definitely won't stop in a wall or a solid door but 4x the capacity? I'll take my chances and aim judiciously if I am permitted.

popper
05-17-2019, 11:33 PM
IIRC, wax bullets will go through garage door, no problem. Other is powder choice, cfeblk is supposed to be flash suppressed. I can't shoot my 10" pistol with one hand and it only has 3 more rnds than my 40. Don't think an intruder is going to stick around for a gun fight.
shotgun with light bird shot - ever see what a 20ga dove load @ 20ft will do?
The question posted - and my answer is if it's not good for a 'carry' gun it's probably not the best for 'in house' protection as the scenario would be approx. the same. The other problem is kids around the house, with gun access. You got to figure that one out yourself.

Lloyd Smale
05-19-2019, 07:32 AM
its why I have a handgun in the bedstand and so does my wife. A shotgun and an AR sitting out loaded in the bedroom in case I can make it that far without shooting the handgun. A handgun in the mag rack by my recliner that I can use to fight up to the front or back door which both have shotguns in the closet by them and the front door a shotgun and an ar. Big variable would be when I determined someone was in the house. Did the wake me up coming in the front door or did they break through my bedroom door. Did they even break in or are they trespassing and my belief is that there going to attack. I don't want one perfect gun because theres no such thing. But if for some reason I was only allowed one gun to defend my house it would be a short barreled 12 gauge loaded with 00 and 4 slugs in a saddle holder and something like a burris fast fire or aim point micro on it and a flashlight. There is one flaw in my "guns everywhere" theory. what could happen is an unarmed home invader could find one and use it against me.