PDA

View Full Version : Where do you shop for your molds?

8mmFan
05-07-2019, 11:46 AM
Hi Everyone,

Where do you shop for your molds? I often read about molds here that I’d like to try. So far, I’ve only used the aluminum molds from LEE, which I’ve been very happy with. I’m also thoroughly thrilled with LEE’s customer service, as it happens, as I’ve posted several times in the past.

But LEE doesn’t have all of the mold bullet-types and sizes that I read about here and that I’d like to try.

Hence, my question: when you like to shop for a new mold? I’m pretty much speaking of online shopping, here, as few retail outfits in my state carry molds at all.

Thanks,

8mmFan

mattw
05-07-2019, 11:52 AM
http://noebulletmolds.com/, Al makes some really awesome moulds.

http://arsenalmolds.com/, Jared's moulds are solid.

http://accuratemolds.com/, while I do not have any of their moulds yet... They are beautiful!

[ebay] have picked up many good Saeco and Lyman/Ideal moulds over time. Must be careful, many sellers do not know the products at all.

8mmFan
05-07-2019, 11:55 AM
Thanks, Matt! I’ll check those out.

Tom W.
05-07-2019, 12:04 PM
Midway......

John Boy
05-07-2019, 12:07 PM
my question: when you like to shop for a new mold?
Same as MattW except Noe's. Add Buffalo Arms Co that has a large inventory of famous designs by Saeco - Paul Jones and Dan Theodore.

cwlongshot
05-07-2019, 12:09 PM
Don't for get RIGHT HERE IN GROUP BUYS!! :bigsmyl2:

CW

metricmonkeywrench
05-07-2019, 12:12 PM
^^^^ HERE^^^^

and that Craig guy's list...

There's just something in my DNA that won't let me pay full price for some things while there is a good secondary market...:drinks:

RED BEAR
05-07-2019, 12:18 PM
I get most of mine from ebay and amazon.

daloper
05-07-2019, 12:32 PM
MP-Molds.com I have a few and they work well. I have both brass and aluminum. They do a lot of group buys here through them.

Hinnerk
05-07-2019, 12:36 PM
Mostly NOE. ... then the flea market.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Oily
05-07-2019, 12:43 PM
Midsouth Shooters Supply also. They carry some of the special run Lee molds like the 8mm Karabiner and some of the soup can designs.

PJEagle
05-07-2019, 01:01 PM
I started with Lee molds and sizers. After a few years I ordered a NOE brass mold that Lee didn't have. That may have been a mistake. Once I got used to the NOE mold it led to additional NOE purchases. I no longer use Lee molds. It's hard to go back once you have sampled the Kool-Aid. You can't find any better support than that provided by Al Nelson from NOE.

bmortell
05-07-2019, 01:18 PM
I started with a iron rcbs and realized id rather have aluminum so bought a bunch of lees, both from midway. after that I been getting molds from accurate since the catalog is so huge and its easy to modify a design. just take a long time to think about how you want the design before buying a nice mold. its easy to realize you wanted a dimension slightly different AFTER trying it

lar45
05-07-2019, 02:13 PM
Noe, Accurate, Mountain molds, the Ranch dog designs are really good also.

Walks
05-07-2019, 02:30 PM
How far back do ya wanna go. I bought my 1st New mold from LYMAN, At the Company store in 1974.

fredj338
05-07-2019, 02:48 PM
I have molds from just about everybody. I look first to Accurate for something new. Tom does not do a true round nose so other manuf like Lyman, RCBS or Saeco may be better if that is the design you want.

Bama
05-07-2019, 02:53 PM
+one for accurate. Great to deal with

RogerDat
05-07-2019, 03:00 PM
What Lee provides are generally a good solid and popular offering. In short they offer what is likely to sell well. NOE and MP molds (group buy forum or directly) I find NOE is good for the odd size or weight or more cavities without going all the way to six of them. More productive in say 4 cavity but at an easier to tolerate weight. MP has first rate quality too. With some nice designs. From what I have heard the MP hollow point system is the easiest to use. NOE I have used pins for hollow base mold and it isn't bad to use at all but people who have done both say MP is easier.

Don't ignore the interesting stuff available in Lyman or RCBS molds. Iron molds often with only 2 or 1 cavity but some really nice designs. Often available at very competitive prices used.

I have a Lee that will produce usable bullets for every caliber I load outside of shotgun. I have other more expensive molds to enhance my options or provide a choice Lee doesn't offer. I find the Lee and the other companies I listed all provide good value. Just at different price points. Good Ford, good Mercury, or good Lincoln. Different price points but all provide good value.

8mmFan
05-07-2019, 03:31 PM
This is awesome, guys. Thank you! Gives me a lot to look at and look into. Really appreciate all of you giving me some options.

8mmFan

waksupi
05-07-2019, 03:34 PM
Go to the vendor section of this forum. If they weren't making good molds, they would have been run off by now! There is no tougher customers than here. ;o)

44Blam
05-07-2019, 03:41 PM
+1 for NOE -their molds are great and they've got some hollow point designs. +1 for accurate - if they don't have what you want they will make it and get it to you quickly.

Conditor22
05-07-2019, 04:20 PM
Love NOE, excellent molds and Al's a great guy.
for lee mold - Amazon, usually the cheapest place 24/7

alfloyd
05-07-2019, 06:55 PM
I have molds from most of all the manufacturers, that I have bought over the years.
I like NOE, RCBS and Accurate the most.
Lately I have bought from NOE and Accurate.
It doesn't take long to get to the $1000 club when you start using NOE's molds, they are GREAT. :)

Lafaun

lightman
05-07-2019, 07:35 PM
Most if not all of my RCBS molds came from Midway. I have a few H&G molds that I mostly bought from members here. I just got a new Accurate mold. The company was a pleasure to deal with and the mold casts like a dream. I've bought a few molds from friends and have also swapped a few.

georgerkahn
05-07-2019, 07:44 PM
Best answer is "anywhere and everywhere"... I have this chronic disease where moulds actually cry out, "Buy me!" The BEST source, bion, is persons on this site. The fact that they were owned/used by fellow casters says, imho, ever so much! And yes, I've purchased them off eBay sellers, as well as new ones from MP, NOE, Accurate, Buffalo Arms.... and probably many others.
Good luck in your quest!
geo

frkelly74
05-07-2019, 07:49 PM
I will confess to buying a few molds at retail from gun shops here in Michigan. They were there, I was there, the money was there, and it stayed there.

I have traded on this site for some also. I have bought off ebay once or twice. Also I have sold one or two on ebay.

I forgot to mention Titan Reloading.

RogerDat
05-07-2019, 07:50 PM
I would go look at group buy discussions and open group buys. Just keep an eye on those because the molds will be first rate and only get made when a lot of your fellow casters desire a specific offering. Currently discussions on slug molds for shotgun, some nice 8mm and a 38/357 hammer with hollow point pins have all caught my eye. The prices are good because the molds don't happen without enough people ordering so the shop knows they have sufficient sales to be profitable.

Not having bought Accurate molds I have only the web site and other members to go on but they want to know what alloy you will be casting with. This allows the mold to be sized to cast the correct size with that alloy. Since different alloys contract more or less that is an interesting enhancement they offer. Probably not relevant to the SWC punching paper out of a snubbie but if one was planning on casting to improve accuracy.... Getting the size exactly where you want and need it with your alloy is a plus.

NOE has been my go to for things such as oversized bullets for .303 British or small for caliber bullet for .32 ACP or heavy .223 for a fast twist rifle. In short the stuff that just isn't standard run of the mill for a given caliber. Have not been disappointed.

sigep1764
05-07-2019, 08:40 PM
I have Lee, Lyman, Accurate, MP and NOE molds. Looking through the catalogs I could do it with Accurate MP and NOE and be happier.

goryshaw
05-08-2019, 09:42 PM
I have bought a number from NOE. Terrific customer service, he called me direct with a question about one of my orders, I think it was my 314299. Beautiful molds and great bullets. The owner of Accurate molds shoots at the same range I do, previous RO was going to introduce me, but he doesn't work there anymore and I don't have as good a personal relationship with the current RO.

Accurate would be my first choice for a semi-custom bullet design, NOE is more for a standard in-stock bullet design. Next mold will probably be a 6 banger clone of the 429421 from NOE, after that will be a heavy 32 caliber for my 327 mag from Accurate, 31-120F is what I'm looking at now.

kevin c
05-09-2019, 01:35 PM
I started with Lee gang molds and have had no problems with them. However I've since bought Accurate and MP molds because of the variety of weights and boolit styles they offer in any given caliber, and also the impressive quality of the design, machining and finish.

cat-mechanic
05-09-2019, 02:44 PM
Most of the ones I have, were bought at local estate sales and auctions. In fact I picked up a big lot of stuff the other day.

Wayne Smith
05-10-2019, 11:15 AM
If you are technically minded or curious go to Mountianmolds.com and use Dan's design program. He is quite helpful on his forum to answer questions as well. He offers a truly unique product - you design your own mold and he makes it.