PDA

View Full Version : lachmayer priming tool

ratherbefishin
10-22-2008, 11:57 AM
I purchased an old lachmiller priming tool with a shell holder that accomodates my 9,3x57-but not my 65x55 or 30,30,or 303.Are there any currently made shell holders compatable with the lachmayer priming tool?

dromia
10-22-2008, 12:06 PM
Welcome to Cast Boolits. :drinks:

I cannot answer your question but no doubt someone will be along in due course with some opinons if not answers. :mrgreen:

beagle
10-22-2008, 01:27 PM
I had one back in the 60s. As well as I recall, they take a standard RCBS shell holder but it's been a long time. I know I loaded .38s, .45s and .30/06 on it and I never bought Lachmiller SHs for it.

I'll check with #2 son. He's still using it.

Neat little rigs./beagle

beagle
10-22-2008, 01:37 PM
#2 son informs me that the Lachmiller does take the RCBS shell holder. He says that Huntington makes an adapter that lets them accept the standard SHs. /beagle

Pavogrande
10-22-2008, 04:26 PM
The Lachmiller priming tool uses a different shellholder than the lachmiller press - the bore is larger to accomadate the primer post -- It is quite possible to drill a press holder out to fit the primer post. Herters shellholders will usually fit as they are the same dimensions and have a primer bore that fits the post.--

Mike Venturino
10-22-2008, 05:06 PM
I bought a Lachmiller primer seating tool in 1971 and used it for many years. It took the standard RCBS shell holders.

MLV

Pavogrande
10-24-2008, 02:31 AM
My Lachmiller tools, press and priming tool, which are still in service, are considirably older than 1971 and do not use an RCBS shellholder. They require a 3/4" diameter boss and RCBS is 5/8" -- Guess it depends on the age of the tool --

Pressman
10-24-2008, 06:59 PM
Lachmiller SH's come in two styles. For the press they had one with a groove around the shank identical to a Herter's. For the primer they ommited the groove. However they seem to be interchangable. Herter's shellholders can b used on a primer tool, sort of. The center hole is somewhat larger than that used by Lachmiller and requires careful alingment of the primers. The size of the center hole in the shellholder is the best way to sort Lachmiller SH's from Herter's.
The primer tool is designed to use a primer punch and spring without the sleeve commonly used on other brands of primer punches. Thus the smaller hole.
Adapter kits are still available to convert them to RCBS style shellholders, but only for the post 1953 version of the tool.
RCBS offered this tool for several years after they bought Lachmiller as it is a very nice tool and my favorite for primeing.
Ken

NoDakJak
10-26-2008, 01:57 AM
Fred Huntington once stated that the main reason that he purchased Lachmiller was to get the manufacturing rights for the primer seater. That was printed in either a "Gun Digest" or "Handloaders Digest" during the early to mid seventies. I have owned both the Lachmiller and RCBS priming tool and still use the latter extensively. During the sixties I bought mostly Lachmiller reloading dies. Both quality and price was lower than RCBS but more costly and much better quality than Herters dies. Neil