PDA

View Full Version : $ 200 - $300 gone

Johnch
05-06-2019, 11:06 AM
This morning I went over to my friends machine shop to help a guy that I hunt with
He got the "Hint" and bought a BUNCH of Beer
So I would introduce him to my friend

LOL I wouldn't make him any .205 molds
But he bribed my other friend into "Helping" him make them

But on the way home
I ran over a chunk of rock that had fallen off a truck
Didn't hit it with my SUV ... well any of the parts you could see
But it hit my muffler ... sort of semi smashing it .... but not to bad ..... just a 2" hole , I guess I could weld a patch on it

But it mostly broke the pipe off the back of the catalitic converter , but it broke the weld joint on the front of it completely off

It dropped down and bent down when it hit the road
The road was not nice to it as it hit the pavement [smilie=b:

I have patched the exaust pipe several times before as my SUV is a 2010 and runs great
So I am going to have a fun afternoon replacing exaust pipe & parts

I guess I will find out what a scrap price on it is :-(

I had to dig out a pair of leather gloves to pick everything up
And use the road side ditch to cool stuff off , before loading it up

Just glad I had both ear plugs and ear muffs with me
As a straight pipe sort of cut off right under my feet was a bit loud for the rest of the drive home :groner:

On the bright side , no back pressure should have given me better gas mileage for the rest of the drive home LOL

Oh well

John

MrWolf
05-06-2019, 12:26 PM
No good deed goes unpunished. Feel for you. Typing this with a start of a migraine. Just took some Excedrin migraines ( yea I know but I have other med to worry about), drank another bottle of water and heading back to bed. You know the routine far more than I do. Good luck.
Ron

Winger Ed.
05-06-2019, 01:07 PM
Road hazards can be expensive.

A guy here got hit by a water turtle crossing the road that bounced up from the first guy who hit it-
and it did $500. worth of damage to the front end of his F-150.

tomme boy
05-06-2019, 01:08 PM
Search around different scrap yards for the best price on Cat converters. Make sure the core is still in the conv. A friends shop has a guy come around and buys all the conv's. He pays $50-$100 for each depending on the size of it. Scrap yards are around $25-$45 here.

Boolit_Head
05-06-2019, 01:45 PM
There used to be some listings locally on Craigslist looking to buy cat's.

Johnch
05-06-2019, 05:31 PM
I wish I could wait and look around
But Thursday I need the SUV to move some stuff

So I called NAPA and all the parts will be in in the morning

I already have everything off and ready to put the new on

Hate spending the cash , but after cutting the old muffler pipe off
IMO the rock only speeded up the muffler and pipes failing

As there was a number of spots about rusted through already

So better to fix it all , that do part of the job and then do more later

And my luck would have been needing to fix it in the rain .... AKA standing water

John

jsizemore
05-06-2019, 05:48 PM
In my area stolen cats has been a problem along with A/C compressors and heat exchangers. If you don't have the paper work to prove it's yours the scrapyard CAN'T take it. If you are a dealer or repair shop you can sell all you want. If you don't have a HVAC license you can't sell compressors or heat exchangers. Period.

Thank you Wake County board of commissioners.

M-Tecs
05-06-2019, 06:20 PM
Normally that type of accident is considered an act of God and is covered under your liability auto insurance and it will not effect your rates and it also should have zero deductibles. That is true for North Dakota. Not sure on other states.

popper
05-06-2019, 07:45 PM
She ran over something a truck dropped, cut the tail pipe, subframe member. Right at the get-on-off of the freeway.

RED BEAR
05-06-2019, 11:20 PM
Next time you might try rock auto they are really inexpensive. But since you needed it right away guess that wouldn't work. People stealing the converters is a problem here as well.

megasupermagnum
05-07-2019, 01:12 AM
Next time you might try rock auto they are really inexpensive. But since you needed it right away guess that wouldn't work. People stealing the converters is a problem here as well.

I used Rock Auto heavily for about 2 years when I was building a couple trucks. It saved me quite a bit of money until they ripped me off. You get the odd wrong part here and there, not the end of the world. The big one for me was a set of pistons that turned out to be junk, damaged in shipping. I returned them according to their procedure. They claimed to have only received one piston, and that's all they refunded me. I fought it for about 6 months, disputed it with Paypal, never got anywhere. It all came down to the warehouse guy saying he only sees a quantity of one listed on the computer. I couldn't get anyone to physically check. Rock auto provided the shipping label, so I had no way to look up tracking and prove the package was heavy. I will say they don't back down easy. For about a month I called daily just to be a thorn in their side, and the same guy who I asked for always answered.

Buying online can still be the best way, usually Amazon or Ebay, but I have not bought a single thing from Rock Auto since.

GregLaROCHE
05-07-2019, 03:03 AM
I bet they use salt in the winter where you live. When I lived in Pa. I often had issues with exhaust systems. When I moved to interior Alaska, then no more problems. They don’t use salt. It’s too cold to work.

CastingFool
05-07-2019, 08:48 AM
I stopped doing my own exhaust work when I got a quote from a repair shop that was $10 more than the parts I had bought and installed. Oth, exhaust components have greatly improved their quality. Had a 96 Silverado for 19 yrs and never had a problem with the exhaust system.

RogerDat
05-07-2019, 09:16 AM
Running the engine to fully hot each time tends to avoid condensation which rusts out the exhaust system. Hopping in and driving 40 miles to work or 15 miles to stores is way easier on that component than short runs to a local store. It seems that every exhaust has a low spot or seam where water will collect until the pipe gets hot enough to boil it off. I have never had to replace the exhaust on my commute mobile that does 25 miles each way or no less than 15 miles to run errands. Wife's vehicle that does the 4 or 5 miles to local stores rusts out, takes several years, I do think the materials are better, but it will go. You can sometimes see water dripping from tailpipe when she gets to Walmart and parks.

GregLaROCHE
05-09-2019, 11:53 PM
I stopped doing my own exhaust work when I got a quote from a repair shop that was $10 more than the parts I had bought and installed. Oth, exhaust components have greatly improved their quality. Had a 96 Silverado for 19 yrs and never had a problem with the exhaust system.

I agree. I think they are making better quality exhaust systems that last longer. That’s for original equipment. Don’t know about replacement parts made in Mexico or who knows where.