PDA

View Full Version : Take off old Redfield ramp frong sight and install a 1903 sight with the dovetail for

samari46
05-05-2019, 12:38 AM
Have a 1903A3 which has been sporterized. D&T for steel Lyman 57 and has a old redfield drive on front sight. I'd likw to remove the front sight and install one that came off a 1903 which has the dovetail. Would like to then install a globe front sight. Any suggestions on how to remove the redfield sight??. Should be able to install the new front sight by myself.Thanks for any suggestions and comments. Frank

Rich/WIS
05-05-2019, 12:59 PM
Is the front sight covering the portion of barrel machined and splined for the original 1903 sight? If not then you will not be able to install a 1903 sight. Pics would help.

Der Gebirgsjager
05-05-2019, 01:22 PM
Front sights are usually solder sweated onto the barrel or attached with a couple of screws. If you see no screws then you should be able to remove the sight by heating it to expand it away from the barrel and driving it off toward the muzzle. If the sight you wish to remove has a blade dovetailed into the base, then you'll want to remove the blade first and see if there is a screw beneath it. By "drive on" sight I'm assuming you mean one with a ring, so a screw is unlikely but not impossible.

EO1
05-05-2019, 01:45 PM
Are you referring to a banded front sight base ? It might be the same Redfields that I have installed and if so, if memory serves me, under the sight insert there is a small set screw holding it in place. I put 2 on my rifles and they were TIGHT to get on. And possibly yours could be either sweated on or epoxied on in addition to having that little screw in there. First you need to drift the sight out of the dovetail, from right to left. Remove the set screw. Then tap on the base using some wood between the base and hammer.If it doesnt budge, you're going to need to try some heat from a propane torch. First to just try to expand the band. If it still wont move, then more heat will be needed to either melt the solder or soften up the epoxy.
Pics would most definitely help as we are flying blind trying to help you.

samari46
05-06-2019, 01:20 AM
Definitely a banded drive on Redfield front sight. No pics as I'm electronically challenged. Anybody have a website or phone number for the Iron Sight Man?. Supposed to be one the east coast. I'm in Louisiana. Cannot get to the safe as I'm in the middle of spring cleaning my den. The stuff one accumulates over the years can be amazing. The A3 bbl was a new old stock purchase at a gun show and should have the slots for the key and pin same as on both 03 & A3 springfields. Frank

EO1
05-06-2019, 04:02 AM
I'm not familiar with the Iron Sight Man. Is it because you're looking for a Lyman 57 ?

samari46
05-07-2019, 01:07 AM
Actually I'm looking for a nice long slide 125 for the Springfield and the old girl will be used for cast bullets. I have a cut down Springfield "C" stock I bought from a gent on Gunboards. The present stock either a fajen or bishop has so much bedding compound from bubba it ain't funny. Frank