PDA

View Full Version : building a rifle

beemer
05-03-2019, 12:55 PM
I am in the process of building a half stock 50 cal. percussion rifle, next will be a flintlock. I have a Rice 40 cal. 42 inch barrel that is 13/16 in dia. The rifle will be very plain but I do have a stunning piece of curly maple. The board is a little thin at 1 3/4 in but if I make it a slim rifle it will work, I've done it before, just not much room for error. I picked it up at a furniture factory I worked at close to 30 years ago and have had it tucked away ever since.

Not knowing a lot about flintlocks I am undecided on a lock but would like one of good quality. I think something late period flintlock and being a slim rifle not overly large. I am not hung up on the historically correct part as I sort of do my own thing but do understand that some things just work better together. Is there any difference in between the Davis, L&R or Chambers locks and what style might go best with the 13/16 barrel.

Dave

waksupi
05-04-2019, 10:09 AM
I recommend the Chambers. Good geometry.
Any you get will need a bit of tuning for best performance. As for style, it will depend on the rifle you are building. Personal preference also comes in. The last rifle I built was a Poor Boy. I just used what I had laying around in the shop, so ended up with an old musket lock, and forged the other parts I needed. I really like it.

pietro
05-04-2019, 10:25 AM

These folks have some pics of slender rocklock locks:

https://www.muzzleloaderbuilderssupply.com/mbs3cart/agora.cgi?next=75&product=Locks

beemer
05-04-2019, 01:45 PM
Waksupi, a poor boy is what I am building, my last rifle was the same. I used a Dixie lock that I had for years, it's OK but I want a better one on this rifle. There is a lot of work building a rifle, I don't to waste my time on a cheep lock.

I have read what Dixon wrote and whatever else I could find on the poor boy rifle and I like the idea. Using a musket lock on one makes perfect sense. I imagine a lot of rifles were made using whatever was on hand or out of necessity so an out of place lock was probably not uncommon. I also like the uncluttered look of the poor boy.

Pietro, I was looking on the site you posted. There is a Chambers lock with a bronze plate. The Ketland is out of stock but seems they have a Queen Ann with a bronze plate, says it's for a pistol or small rifle. That thing really slapped me in the face, I haven't seen that before.

Dave

1Hawkeye
05-04-2019, 02:11 PM
For something the size of what you are building an L&R Manton lock would look good.

stubshaft
05-04-2019, 04:27 PM
On my Southern Mountain I used a L&R Egg lock.

Hanshi
05-04-2019, 07:17 PM
The lock you choose will, of course, depend on whether the maker has that particular style of lock. For quality I'd list Chambers #1 with L&R and Davis at #2. Very fine rifles have been built with all three of these makes.

midland man
05-04-2019, 10:13 PM
i am doing a dixie deluxe cub in 36 caliber flintlock from dixie gun works! I just started this finishing kit yesterday!