PDA

View Full Version : 45 Colt steel sizer update

blackhawk man
05-02-2019, 02:36 PM
Well, I sized 100 cases with the RCBS steel sizer. I used the One Shot spray, because I already had some. As long as I use enough, it seems to work fine. The first dozen were a little squeaky and tight, but fortunately I didn't stick any. After that, I was a little more generous with the lube and it went smoothly.

Also, I did 12 brand new Starline cases, and loaded them with a healthy charge of Bullseye. It looks like I got a good seal, which has been a problem for me in the 45 Colt. There was almost no soot. The middle of the cases started out at .473 and expanded to .477. My carbide die sizes the whole case down to .468.

All in all, I'm happy with the results, and it's because of the wisdom of the members here that I got the idea in the first place.

Larry Gibson
05-02-2019, 03:48 PM
Only problem I've had with the RCBS steel sizer is fired cases sized with it won't chamber in my Contender barrel. Seems the chamber on it is straight sided and not tapered. Cases sized with the Hornady TC sizer chamber perfectly. Of course the cases sized with the steel sizer are perfect for the Uberti SAAs and M73. I really don't use the Contender barrel except for testing loads so sizing them differently isn't a problem.

blackhawk man
05-03-2019, 12:32 AM
I forgot to mention that I'm shooting these in a new model Blackhawk.

greenjoytj
05-07-2019, 05:48 PM
RCBS steel sizer. - new Starline cases - There was almost no soot. - My carbide die sizes the whole case down to .468.

I have been using a steel die (Redding) for my 45 Colt for use in my Win/Miroku M73 the chamber seal is much better after I annealed all my 45 Colt brass. Now I don’t get carbon fouling blow back along the side of the cases. The cases eject clean with just the feel of lube on case sides no black fouling with either smokeless (Hodgdon’s CFE-Pistol) or Black Powder (GOEX 2fg).
I think the biggest preventer of fouling blow back was the annealing of the cases.

After my first experience with a single ring carbide sizing die (Hornady)for my 357 mag, seeing how that style of die creates a weird looking hour glass shaped finished cartridge, I switched to a Redding Dual carbide ring sizing die it worked great in 357Mag.
My Ruger New Vaqueros 45’s have tight chambers but still allowed blow back.
When the M73 arrived with its looser chamber, the Dual ring die couldn’t cope to control the blow back, so I bought the Redding steel sizing die. The steel die did reduce a lot of the blow back but the real trick was to annealed the cases. Now my Starline cases come out of the M73 clean but with an oily feel no black fouling on the sides.
A case fired in the M73 will only insert halfway into the Ruger NV chamber.
Anneal your Starline brass you won’t be sorry.

blackhawk man
05-07-2019, 06:40 PM
greenjoytj,

Thanks for your input. I haven't yet tried annealing. I'll keep it in mind.

Outpost75
05-07-2019, 06:51 PM
In my US M1909, US M1917, Brit 1914 .455 and 1923 Commercial .45 Colt New Service revolvers I use older RCBS steel dies. My experience is that modern carbide dies size the brass excessively if you need to use larger .454-.455" diameter bullets to fit, which the pre-WW2 Colts require.

I use the same dies to load .45 Colt ammunition for my Ruger New Model Blackhawk, but depending upon the particular bullet and case make, I use the revolver cylinder, removed from the gun, as a drop gage, and when necessary I use the Redding Profile Crimp die to tweak outside dimensions of rounds which I want to be able to use optionally in the Ruger.

By doing so, as-cast and unsized .455" diameter bullets which I use in my several Colts, are reduced to .4535-.4540 (depending upon brass) by compression inside the case. DougGuy honed my Ruger cylinder throats in both .45 ACP and .45 Colt to .453" and bullets cast soft (8 BHN) and so profiled, shoot accurately in all of my .45 ACP, .455 and .45 Colt revolvers.

I use mineral oil USP as case lube, applied to a stamp pad and simply rolling the cases across the pad. Have done so for 50 years. Wipe cases clean with a baby diaper.

blackhawk man
05-10-2019, 02:19 PM
Good stuff.

Harter66
05-10-2019, 07:53 PM
A little different twist .
I haven't yet split a 45 Colts case however I did get the smoked case showing up around 17-18 cycles in a 76' vintage BH . After 25 I annealed and stopped all of sooting . I had started "neck" sizing before that in a quest for the smaller group .
I got a carbine Rossi M92' that left case bodies pushing .490 .
I neck sized for it but cases were sometimes hard to close on just the last little bit of cam over maybe 1/4 of total travel one way .
I used a Lee 45 ACP FCD with all the guts removed so it's just a straight carbide sizer at .482 .
After a lengthy passive search and upwards of a month long deliberate effort to buy a steel sizer I have aquired one . I'm hoping that the new sizers will reduce the sizing abuse of the rifle cases and the pistols too .