PDA

View Full Version : Lam2

RED BEAR
05-01-2019, 09:37 AM
Just wondering if anyone else is having a problem with the fiber washers on the rcbs luber? They will last through maybe 6to7 hundred bullets and start pushing over the shoulder that holds them. I call and they send me more but that gets old . I finally got fed up and took enough a little off the shoulder and made a nylon washer to help hold the fiber washer in place and stop pushing over the shoulder. Hope this works i really like the machine.

Mike W1
05-01-2019, 02:19 PM
Had that problem way back when I got mine. They even sent a new assembly for it. Frankly I don't remember doing anything in particular but now that you've brought it up I haven't had the problem for several years. Only thing that comes to mind is I started using a PID on my heater and haven't had the nuisance for several years now and forgot all about it. Suppose the thing will act up now as I've got some bullets to do. Will look at the inards when I add lube.

RED BEAR
05-01-2019, 03:31 PM
Yea thanks i must have been through better than a dozen in the last year . Rcbs keeps sending new ones but i would like to know why it is doing it i hope the nylon washer i made will cure it this is pretty tough stuff we used to use it or bushings.

Mike W1
05-01-2019, 06:04 PM
Well now you've got me going. I took a look at the extra lube pressure screw that I have and note that it looks just like the one they sent me when I had the trouble years ago. So I pulled the one out of the Luber itself to double check that. First thing I notice is that I have 2 fiber washers on those screws. The one that is closest to the top of the Threaded Reservoir Cap is TIGHT around that raised shoulder on the screw. I can't tell for sure but the 2 washers MIGHT be different sizes on the internal measurement. And of course I can't get that one back on after prying it off!

Vaguely remember way back and RCBS sent me a washer that I kept separate from the #80055 ones as it measures about 1/2" ID which is about what that shoulder is. I'm kind of thinking perhaps that was initially placed on the top side of the shoulder and pressure fit onto that shoulder on the screw. I had a spare of those that I got at the hardware but didn't have any luck doing just that. Going to make a hardware trip tomorrow and get things back together one way or another.

BTW my records indicate I could run 6000-8000 bullets through before I starting getting a "gritty" feeling on the pressure handle. Since the trouble ceased I've not kept records but it was a lot more than that. Haven't had to fiddle with it in years now.

Will get back if I get things straightened out tomorrow.

RED BEAR
05-01-2019, 06:50 PM
You can't get two washers on mine untill one pushes over the shoulder i usually pop that one off before i put the new one on maybe i should have left it. I am hoping the nylon will fix this.

Land Owner
05-02-2019, 05:27 AM
I am a visual person and need to "see it" to comprehend. Having an LAM II piqued my interest in this thread.

The first image below is the top portion of the Lube Pressure "Assembly". Part #5 is the fiber washer. I have never had any difficulty with this part.

I find no other fiber washer in the parts diagram (image 2). There is an "O" ring (#7) that fits in the groove of the Lube Plunger (#8). I have had to replace this part a couple of times and the hardware store has them in their stock as a #16 (write in of Parts Diagram).

It appears that the fiber washer's two-fold function is to prevent lube from squeezing out around the threaded reservoir cap as well as sealing off the top of the main body casting.

https://i.postimg.cc/yd2M826P/LAM-II-Fiber-Washer.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/zGdPf40g/LAM-II-Parts.jpg

Mike W1
05-02-2019, 08:41 AM
Somebody way back told me the fiber washer was merely to reduce friction. All I actually know is that mine came from the factory with 2 of them in the reservoir cap and 2 different sizes. Tight ID one for the one first into the cap then a looser ID one after that. Both OD''s about 7/8" I'd say. I've had it a long time and I'm sure of that much at least. They did sent me another Pressure Screw assembly when I had my troubles and both of them have 2 washers in them. Gonna call RCBS today hopefully and maybe get some info and will pass along.

RED BEAR
05-02-2019, 12:12 PM
The fiber washer #5 in your top diagram is just to stop metal on metal contact. When new there was only one washer on mine and not enough room to put the #3 snap ring on with two washers. The #5 washer keeps pushing over the shoulder on the #6 shaft and you get metal an metal and a grinding. I put the #6 shaft in drill press and used a file to reduce the thickness of the shoulder then stoned it to polish. Then took an old piece of nylon from when i worked and drilled a 1/2 inch hole in it then sawed a roughly .2 thick piece and sanded it to a diameter that would fit down into the lam. I am hoping this nylon washer will keep the #5 washer from pushing over the shoulder. When i call rcbs i ask if there is something i am doing wrong as i can't believe to o through these washers like i am is normal. Now i don't use a heater and my lube is home made but has bout the same consistency as the lube that came with it. I wounder if that is why you get so many more lubed than i do? Took a while for me to afford the lam maybe heater is down the road. Until then i will just start stealing the wifes hair dryer.by the way i don't want to forget thanks mike i appreciate any help.

Land Owner
05-02-2019, 03:24 PM
I use a 60W electric light bulb and a towel to warm mine.

1.) Set the light bulb near the LAM
2.) Turn it on
3.) Cover both the LAM and bulb with the towel
4.) Wait 20-25 minutes

The LAM and lube will be warm and ready-to-go. No heater. No hair dryer. Just patience and $0.10 worth of electricity.

Mike W1
05-02-2019, 03:53 PM
Well just talked to RCBS tech. His best guess as to why I had 2 sizes of fiber washers is that I was sent one size in error. It all happened too far back to even guess why I had them in both units though it was working just fine! The washer goes just under the reservoir cap though it looks like it's under in my drawing and the raised shoulder prevents it from going down and it is an anti-friction device. My heater is on so I'll reassemble things and see what happens.

RED BEAR
05-03-2019, 06:14 PM
Hey it could be that having two helps keep it from pressing over the shoulder. Thats what i have went to with one being a nylon one so far so good but haven't done very many yet.

Mike W1
05-03-2019, 09:25 PM
Hey it could be that having two helps keep it from pressing over the shoulder. Thats what i have went to with one being a nylon one so far so good but haven't done very many yet.

That thought also crossed my mind. I put both my units back together with the "proper" washers now and doubt that I'll do enough sizing in the next year to see if I'm back to the wear issue as I had way back when. Guess I'll just have to remember to do some visual inspecting of it before hand.

RED BEAR
05-03-2019, 09:50 PM
I try to get most of my casting in winter before the heat hits so i have been sizing a lot lately. I managed to get around 400 pounds cast over winter.

Mike W1
05-03-2019, 11:17 PM
I didn't do that much and most of what I did is already sized. The biggest problem I have is I'm apparently getting too lazy to walk out back and shoot any more. It must be all of 100 steps to my little range! I do my casting in shorter spurts but only to prolong it somehow. Enjoy firing up the stove, casting some. Lets me spend extra times out there with my toys instead of doing it all in a week or so with higher production. Somehow that makes sense to me. Must be the retirement and too much time on my hands now.

RED BEAR
05-04-2019, 09:53 AM
I know about retirement and time on my hands. But what i would give to have a range in back yard. I only have to drive less than five miles to range and just to lazy to get up and go. My garage stays a little cooler than outside so i can cast in early morning when i get low on something. But once the heat sets in i can't breath. So most days spent inside. I do have a short maybe 25-30 feet range upstairs for my pellet pistol. Used to use primers and rubber bullets until someone on here warned about lead exposure from primers.

Echo
05-04-2019, 11:41 AM
I use a 60W electric light bulb and a towel to warm mine.

1.) Set the light bulb near the LAM
2.) Turn it on
3.) Cover both the LAM and bulb with the towel
4.) Wait 20-25 minutes

The LAM and lube will be warm and ready-to-go. No heater. No hair dryer. Just patience and $0.10 worth of electricity.

I used a drop light for many years - no towel, no blanket, just the light, and it was sufficient for the NRA loob I use. Now I do my stuff on the patio, and use an old hair dryer...