PDA

View Full Version : Russian T44 7.62×54 are they worth more than a 91/30? 379.00

BigAlofPa.
04-30-2019, 03:35 PM
I paid 200.00 for my 91/30 this past winter.

https://curtsgunshopinc.net/product/russian-t44-7-62x54/

Der Gebirgsjager
04-30-2019, 06:05 PM
From what I've observed on the internet auctions they're worth about the same in comparable conditions. If your 91/30 is in good condition (about NRA Excellent) then $200 was a pretty good price. Personally, it's hard for me to believe that they go for what they do, as I don't particularly like them, and got my first one for $1.00. The better specimens of both models seem to be topping $350 with regularity.

RED BEAR
04-30-2019, 06:52 PM
Apparently they are worth all they can get. Growing up surplus guns were what you bought when you couldn't afford a new or lightly used gun. Now days the dealers think they have struck gold. A know it's 2019 but my mind and especially my wallet are still in 1979.

Earlwb
04-30-2019, 07:08 PM
My brain tends to still think of prices like back in the 1960's and 1970's. So I have trouble reconciling today's prices for surplus guns. But if you account for inflation the $400 is actually about what they would cost us way back then too. The dollar was worth a lot more way back when. As the Federal deficit goes up, the dollar is worth less and less.

lefty o
04-30-2019, 07:30 PM
typically the carbines are worth a few bucks more, but the rifles have been climbing in prices........

BigAlofPa.
04-30-2019, 07:44 PM
I want a carbine to go with my 91/30. I looked on gun broker they are bringing the upper 300's. My 91/30 is in nice shape and all matching numbers. If my LGS had the carbine it would be less. He has great deals. I should be patient. But that can be hard lol. Curts is about an hour away. And is good friend of my parents so maybe i can get a deal with him. I'll give him a call tomorrow.

Geezer in NH
04-30-2019, 07:58 PM
44's around the turn of this century, Century Arms sold arsenal rebuilds in the wrap from just after WWII for dealer cost of $49.99 each. They were like NEW. Sold many in my shop at $99.99. Those were the good old days!

MostlyLeverGuns
04-30-2019, 10:20 PM
With a new economy bolt gun (Savage,TC, Ruger...) going for less ($300 plus/minus) than what was once an undesirable surplus, I just don't understand the prices of the surplus rifles, unless in 'Collector' condition, though I do have a couple or three 303's and such. In today's world, trying for an economy gun by starting with an old military bolt gun is long expensive path, maybe in 1965, but not today.

Peregrine
04-30-2019, 11:01 PM
Up here in Trudeaupia the price of Mosins in general has really skyrocketed over the past couple years. They went from rifles you could find for less than $150 for a nice example to the $300-$400 range. A hex reciever in great shape is bringing that easily, and even the round recievers aren't far behind. They disappeared commercially for a bit, a few retailers recently got some back in stock but the prices for a shooter grade round receiver with some accessories is around $375. This is speaking of the Russian 91/30's, the Russian m44's have been going for around $500 for a while now but they don't come up often enough to gauge demands. Some people have been testing the waters and trying to get $900 for the Polish M44's and i've seen a couple go for something in that range, although the usual price is closer to $600.

I can see from completed auctions on gunbroker that regular 1930's 91/30's are selling for over $300 USD and that the war production round receivers are pretty well there too.

Get used to it guys, it's the new reality and the sky is the limit.

As to why they go for the prices that they do, I think a good deal of it is the connection to the Soviet Union and WWII.
In addition, you old guys (respectfully) won't recognize this as much but the Mosin has been featured pretty prominently in a lot of videogames that millennials who are maturing into the gun purchasing age grew up on. Don't underestimate the attraction to owning something for real that you've spent hundreds of hours running around with on the screen. I've been to a few gunshops and talked with the staff there and they freely volunteer that a lot of their sales volume is driven by kids who got into guns thanks to videogames. Think what you want about that, it's a fact.

An original kar98k is already beyond a lot of people, but the Mosins are still accessible at double the going rate. The cheap surplus ammo definitely turbocharges this, but expect demand to keep up even when that dries up like it already almost has. There's a bit more to the mosins popularity than that, the fact that they were so cheap and accessible, along with the fact that they are built like a poop brickhouse while being endearingly kinda bad has spawned a whole mythos around them that isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

Anyways, the long and the short of it is if you find anyone who still considered theirs worthless junk pick it up for a song and you'll be able to clean up. Alternately, if YOU still think they're worthless junk, partner, you're gonna regret not picking up a dirt cheap one while you had the chance.

For full disclosure I presently own exactly one Mosin, an M39, entirely due to having to prioritize space. I quite like it. :)

Texas by God
05-01-2019, 12:34 AM
I’ve never cared for them at all, not even the 1928 Sako rebuild I had. Hard bolt harder trigger, sure it’d shoot 2 moa at 100 yds, but my Krag and Hakim would also-so away it went. The carbines went for slightly more the last time I looked.

EO1
05-01-2019, 01:22 AM
Just like Springfields and Krags - they arent making them anymore. There were X amount made, and as such, prices will certainly go up.
Do a search on a forum and one can read about guys complaining about milsurp prices in '08 & '09. But look at the value now. Then they were throwing rocks at RC k98 mausers, now one cant even be found at twice the price it was then.
They arent making Model As anymore either, look at the current asking price on one of those.

RED BEAR
05-01-2019, 09:13 AM
I am glad i bought what i did back in the day. I realize that with inflation they are probably about the same price. Being on fixed income not by choice i live on bout the same as did back in the 80's forget inflation. But since house is paid for and really have no bills and wife is on social security we get by just fine. Plus both being home and able to do what we want when we want i wouldn't trade this time for anything. I just love the old military rifles some i keep stock some i bubba. A mosin is one that slipped by me but i keep looking for one at a good price.

Earlwb
05-03-2019, 08:26 AM
I would think that the M44 carbines would command a little more in prices over the regular rifles. The carbines are short and handy and you don't really have to do anything to sporterize them like people do with the rifles. Yeah you might need to remove the bayonet for hunting purposes. But it is handy for poking pigs to make sure they are dead though.

Adam Helmer
05-03-2019, 09:47 AM
Earlwb,

I agree with you. I have a few 91/30s, various Finns and a M44 carbine. All are fine cast boolit arms. I got my M44 about 10 years ago and it is a true MOA 100 yard gun with my Lyman #311467 boolit sized .311."

I did not remove the bayonet because my buddy did on his M44 and his accuracy and POA/POI (Point of Aim/Point of Impact) went all over the place. Since I found the accuracy load for my M44, I let well enough alone.

Adam

LAGS
05-03-2019, 09:59 AM
@ Earlwb
Funny thing about your comment on the Bayonet and poking Pigs.
When I bought my First MN 1891 back in 1976 people had never seen many of them.
I has a bayonet on it, and people would ask " Why is that rifle so Long "
I would tell them, " It is so I can hunt Bears, and poke them in the Belly and not get too close "

Adam Helmer
05-03-2019, 10:42 AM
@ Earlwb
Funny thing about your comment on the Bayonet and poking Pigs.
When I bought my First MN 1891 back in 1976 people had never seen many of them.
I has a bayonet on it, and people would ask " Why is that rifle so Long "
I would tell them, " It is so I can hunt Bears, and poke them in the Belly and not get too close "

LAGS,

As Spock would say, "That is entirely logical." LOL.

Adam

goryshaw
05-03-2019, 04:06 PM
The first C&R rifles I bought online when I got my FFL 03 were a '43 91/30 and a '44 M44 both from Classic back in '13. Postwar rebuilds with perfect barrels good wood and finish.

The 91/30 is decently accurate even with surplus light ball, although it tends to hit pretty low. The M44 I have no idea, I was on my 3rd ten round string before I could even get on paper (SR-1), that was with a bottom right frame hold, and the shots I found were barely catching the top left of the paper. Even then there wasn't any sort of a group to judge. I'll blame that on the trigger, you can see the rear of the bolt lifting as the trigger is pulled and it won't even register on my old trigger scale.

BigAlofPa.
05-03-2019, 09:22 PM
Im going to wait for my LGS to get one in. He said he will do better in price. I do a lot of business with him. He said he will take care of me. My son took me up today after my surgery we were discussing it . I picked up a never shot Ruger sr40c and he threw in a box of ammo for 260.00. I get lucky often there with like new guns for some reason.

lefty o
05-03-2019, 09:27 PM
The first C&R rifles I bought online when I got my FFL 03 were a '43 91/30 and a '44 M44 both from Classic back in '13. Postwar rebuilds with perfect barrels good wood and finish.

The 91/30 is decently accurate even with surplus light ball, although it tends to hit pretty low. The M44 I have no idea, I was on my 3rd ten round string before I could even get on paper (SR-1), that was with a bottom right frame hold, and the shots I found were barely catching the top left of the paper. Even then there wasn't any sort of a group to judge. I'll blame that on the trigger, you can see the rear of the bolt lifting as the trigger is pulled and it won't even register on my old trigger scale.

your not alone, the 1 M44 i own is the least accurate rifle ive ever owned. i have shotguns that shoot tighter patterns than it groups.

BigAlofPa.
05-03-2019, 09:31 PM
Maybe then i should stay away from the 44. How are the 39's?

Earlwb
05-03-2019, 09:58 PM
Earlwb,

I agree with you. I have a few 91/30s, various Finns and a M44 carbine. All are fine cast boolit arms. I got my M44 about 10 years ago and it is a true MOA 100 yard gun with my Lyman #311467 boolit sized .311."

I did not remove the bayonet because my buddy did on his M44 and his accuracy and POA/POI (Point of Aim/Point of Impact) went all over the place. Since I found the accuracy load for my M44, I let well enough alone.

Adam

Hummm, I will keep that in mind. Maybe mount a bipod to balance it out some instead. That reminds me of a number of other military rifles that tended to shoot much better with a bayonet attached to them too. It is like they regulated the rifles to shoot best with a mounted bayonet on them.

arlon
05-03-2019, 10:51 PM
For range time a Finn M39 and any M44 aren't generally going to be in the same league. Like a Mustang vs an F150.

samari46
05-04-2019, 12:06 AM
I bought my Russian M44 almost 30 years ago for about $135 and maybe the price was a little high today you could if you are really lucky get one for about $350 & up. Priced a great Lee Enfield lately?. get ready for sticker shock. Back then I could afford to be very picky regarding bore condition,stock,matching numbers on any mil surp cause there were so many on the market. Today it's a sellers market as the quality and quantity isn't there. That is true wether its a 1903A3 or a Russian M44. Only thing is that there are still a lot of WWII parts still available for a Springfield rather than a M44. Same with surplus ammo, 303,8mm,7mm,6.5mm and others are no longer available in large quantities. Gun show dealers usually have the same old stuff and inflated prices. I've bought 3 rifles in the last ten years, Persian 98/29, Yugo M48BO, and a Steyr model of 1912 in 7mm made for Chile. Just haven't seen any nice mil surp in a long time. Last dealer at a gun show refused to take the nylon wire tie off so's I could check the barrel. His loss not mine. Frank

Geezer in NH
05-06-2019, 07:00 PM
The 44's are particular of whether the bayonet is locked closed or open. It may also change POI also for each position. One way will shoot better than the other.