PDA

View Full Version : The holy grail of boolits for 38/357 revolvers.

tazman
04-29-2019, 07:43 PM
Over the years, I have tried many different boolit/powder combinations in my collection of 38/357 mag revolvers. I have been searching for a single boolit/load that works across the entire collection with excellent results.
Very few loads work really well in more than 2-3 of them. None have worked well in all----until today.
My idea was to get target grade accuracy from all the revolvers with the same load.
I have a S&W 60 3 inch, S&W 15 4 inch, S&W K frame Target Masterpiece 6 inch, S&W 686+ 6 inch, S&W 686-3 8 3/8 inch, Ruger Security Six 6 inch. Quite a variety to try and get them all working with a single load.

Today I took 4 different powders loaded in 38 special cases at full power with the Lyman 358432 wadcutter. Odd to use a wadcutter at full power but it seemed worth a try. This particular boolit gives all the driving band area of a full wadcutter with the ability to be loaded longer. This allows the use of powder charges used with standard design SWC boolits.
I could use other wadcutters and crimp in a lube groove but this boolit is designed specifically for this. The crimp groove on the 358432 is the same distance from the base of the boolit as several of the SWC designs I had on hand.
Powders used were Bullseye, Winchester 231, Titegroup, and CFE pistol.
By full power, I mean below +P and above most target loads. Hoping for around 850 fps. I didn't chrono any of these since it was raining and I was shooting indoors.

All the revolvers performed great with these loads with one exception and that one was only poor with one powder. The 358432, when loaded with Bullseye, Titegroup, and W231 all shot better than I could hold. The model 15 didn't like the CFE pistol load for some reason. I suspect if I dropped the powder charge slightly it would be better as this was supposed to be the fastest load by a fair margin and felt like it when fired.
So now I have a single boolit that I can use with at least three powders in all my 38/357 revolvers and expect great results.
I don't expect really good accuracy out of the model 60. I just can't aim all that well with it. That said, it did much better than I was expecting.
The K frame Target Masterpiece was outstanding as was the 686-3 with the long barrel. The others were really good. Much better than I was expecting and better than I have shot them before now.
I took some other loads along as check to make sure I wasn't just having a good day. Those loads performed just like they always have so I expect I may have found my load.
I will test this again over the next few weeks to make sure, but I am very excited about this development.

9.3X62AL
04-29-2019, 08:26 PM
I have had a two-cavity Lyman #358432 mould since I started casting in 1981. It was the only 38 caliber mould available in the only shop near where I lived that stocked anything casting-related. At the same time and place, I bought its 32 caliber cousin, the Lyman #313492. BOTH MOULDS SHOOT VERY WELL--FROM 700 FPS TO 1200 FPS. So it is no surprise to me to read that your results were so positive. When shot at 700 FPS, these castings do not de-stabilize at 65-70 yards like the 148 grain HBWCs do--no sir, they stay nose-forward until they run out of gas. When run at 1100-1200 FPS from the 357s, they really put the WHOMP on critters. A couple coyotes and a large number of jackrabbits have learned to their permanent consternation that wadcutters are just fine in the varmint fields. Running them as you have done--in the 850 FPS ballpark--would be a superb load in either 38 Special or 357 Magnum cases.

ETA--years ago, I carried a S&W Model 64 x 4' as an issued duty sidearm. The #358432s run at 825-850 FPS shot right where the sights looked--unlike our service load, the W-W 110 grain +P JHP, which hit about 2" low at 25 yards.

Dieselhorses
04-29-2019, 08:32 PM
Over the years, I have tried many different boolit/powder combinations in my collection of 38/357 mag revolvers. I have been searching for a single boolit/load that works across the entire collection with excellent results.
Very few loads work really well in more than 2-3 of them. None have worked well in all----until today.

So what was the magic recipe? Mainly W231, 4 gr's?

tazman
04-29-2019, 09:46 PM
Nothing magic about them. I just looked up the data for 158 grain SWC in 38 Special and went with the max load.
Bullseye 3.5gr
W231 4.0gr
Titegroup 3.5gr
CFE Pistol 4.9gr This one worked well in all but one revolver. It was also noticeably more powerful in both recoil and muzzle blast. Not a magnum but probably +P even though the book calls for 5.0-5.3 for standard loads.
I was shooting at about 12 yards. My best group was 2.0X2.5 inches for 18 shots. Average was about 3 inches.

Dieselhorses
04-29-2019, 10:19 PM
Not bad! I use 4.0 HP38 and get exceptional accuracy in 686-6 offhand. I noticed in Lyman CBH there's a bit of a spread between the 155 and the 158 gr. as far as loads go but COAL is only .015 difference. Like 231 max is 4.7 and +P is 5.0!

tazman
04-30-2019, 12:08 AM
The other reason I am excited by this finding, is this boolit is available in a couple of different formats. You can still find Lyman molds in this and now NOE is making it as well complete with an available hollow point. Even as a solid, it provides a full surface area meplat for your best punch and the shoulders do cut paper and probably living tissue well.
It is a fairly good all around use boolit as 9.3X62AL has testified.
I haven't used it on game but I guarantee, I wouldn't like a .357 hole drilled in me anywhere.

Dieselhorses------Those groups I described were shot offhand. No rest. That is as good as I have ever done offhand at that distance. I may try shooting it from a rest just to see what it will do.

Petrol & Powder
04-30-2019, 07:03 AM
Thanks Tazman.

Out of all of the cartridges I fool with, 38 Special is the easiest one to find a combination that shoots well in multiple guns. 9mm is the worst over multiple guns.

My casting career is only a fraction of my reloading career but I've always strived to keep things simple. My quest for 1 common loading has eluded me but I have managed to whittle the number of loads down to a small handful. If I had to settle on one bullet I think it would be the SAECO #382 (SWC about 160 grs) but a full wadcutter is in the running as well.

For many years, ww231 was my main powder for all things 38 Special. It doesn't surprise me that you had good results with that powder. Bullseye is the old stand-by and is my current choice for target 38 Special loads. I still turn to ww231 for full power +P loads.

I can't speak to the use of Titegroup. You helped me with CFE back during the powder shortage and I had good results with it. I doubt it will replace Bullseye and 231 on my bench. In fact, the CFE is on the back of the shelf.

charlie b
04-30-2019, 07:51 AM
Interesting topic. My father-in-law tried to find a decent load that would shoot in his .357 trio, a Python, Uberti SA and a Marlin lever action. Never found one. The Python likes lighter bullets at higher speeds, the Uberti liked low speeds with any bullet and the lever action liked heavy bullets at high speed (but with slower powders).

tazman
04-30-2019, 07:57 AM
I currently use CFE Pistol for full power handgun loads where it seems to give a bit of extra velocity to many handgun cartridges. I was surprised when it didn't work well in that one revolver. Doesn't mean I won't use it. Just won't get the best groups from that one gun. I suspect if I drop that powder charge a little, it will work just as well as the others.
This was a simple test. I didn't get into seeing what small changes in powder charges would produce.
I tend to experiment across several powders to see if something works a bit better. Usually, it doesn't matter much.

I haven't tested for accuracy in my rifle(Henry Big Boy steel) yet. The weather has been rainy every time I have gone to the range. That will be the next test sequence.

gwpercle
04-30-2019, 10:50 AM
Yes...holy grail boolit !
After snagging a much used single cavity on E-bay, the 160 grain version , I discovered how accurate it shot out of every 38/357 handgun I own.
A 4" model 64 will print cloverleafs to POA with it's fixed sights . Also shoots to POA in J-frame snub nose with fixed sights .
I very quickly ordered a three cavity from NOE ...it has taken the place of most of my other moulds.

Also ...for 41 magnum/special lovers, NOE makes the same WC design in a larger 41 cal version...
I got another 3 cavity mould for it .

Thanks for the loading info ...following closely .
Gary

Rick Hodges
04-30-2019, 10:59 AM
Lyman lists this in a 148 gr version as well as the 160. Anyone use the lighter one?

tazman
04-30-2019, 11:09 AM
Lyman lists this in a 148 gr version as well as the 160. Anyone use the lighter one?

The Lyman 4 cavity mold I have is the 148 grain version. The NOE mold I have is the 160 grain version but I cast it as a hollow point making it 148 grains.
I use the data for 158 grain boolits for safety sake.

scattershot
04-30-2019, 02:53 PM
Sounds like a great load and boolit. Thanks for posting. Is this boolit available commercially, or would someone be willing to sell me a hundred or so? Thanks.

Outpost75
04-30-2019, 03:12 PM
I use Saeco #348 in both .38 Spl. and .357 Mag.

Load 3.5 grains of Bullseye in .38 Special or 5 grains in .357.

Alternate for .357 guns only (+P+) is 9 grains of Alliant #2400 in .38 Spl. brass and 10.5 grains in .357 brass.

tazman
04-30-2019, 03:12 PM
There are some places that sell them online. Matt's bullets has them. I did a Google search for 358432 cast bullets for sale and found that one very quickly.

scattershot
04-30-2019, 03:13 PM
Thank you. I didn’t see Matt’s Bullets.

Update: just placed an order with Matt’s Bullets. Looking forward to trying these.

curioushooter
05-01-2019, 12:57 PM
How far was your target from your muzzle?

I wonder how an N-frame would do. I've found things that work well in N-frames don't translate to J, K, and Ls.

RogerDat
05-01-2019, 03:23 PM
I also have a Lyman 148 grain WC that has a crimp groove that provides same case impingement as my 158 grain semi-wad cutter Lee mold. Of the powders mentioned I only have Titegroup in quantity. Have used it but only at mild target loads. I found those to be pretty accurate, and like Titegroup in general for 38/357 loads of that sort. May have to investigate either the BE or Win 231. I'm pretty sure I have at least a pound of BE I could try. Since Bulls Eye does come up as a "good" choice often I may find it to be another powder worth having on hand in larger quantities as I would with other "standard" wide use powders.

Always looking for a way to consolidate around less component choices so I can focus funds on more quantity of fewer items. Thanks for sharing the research Taz.

tazman
05-01-2019, 10:14 PM
How far was your target from your muzzle?

I wonder how an N-frame would do. I've found things that work well in N-frames don't translate to J, K, and Ls.

I don't own an N frame in 38/357 so cn't help with that one. Target was at 12 yards and I was shooting offhand. I plan to test again using a rest in the near future.

RogerDat--- Both BE and 231 as well as Titegroup use smaller charge weight than CFE pistol does. Those would all be somewhat cheaper to reload with than CFE Pistol.

curioushooter
05-02-2019, 02:01 PM
I've found that past 25 yards wadcutters wander all over the place...go in sideways...etc. I gave up wadcutters for all but short range target work for this reason.

FergusonTO35
05-03-2019, 09:30 PM
I've never met a .38 that didn't like 3.2 grains Bullseye under a Lyman 358091 or 3.5 grains under just about any 150-158 SWC or RNFP.

tazman
05-03-2019, 09:51 PM
I've found that past 25 yards wadcutters wander all over the place...go in sideways...etc. I gave up wadcutters for all but short range target work for this reason.

I loaded up 100 rounds of the 3.5 BE load for testing. If weather permits, I'll test them beyond 25 yards and see what they do on Monday.
I haven't done any testing beyond 25 yards before with any handgun. It will be interesting.

slughammer
05-04-2019, 07:39 PM
I haven't done any testing beyond 25 yards before with any handgun. It will be interesting.

Without getting too complex beyond the regular basics I'll give 2 bits of advice for your first time.

1, take some different size bullseyes and a larger clean backer. For 25 yards I use a black circle about 2.5" diameter. Out at 50 yards 4-6" diameter. The larger new clean cardboard backer is to get a clean picture with your rear sight notch. Kind of hard to shoot well with an uneven sight picture.

2, consistent grip pressure with both hands. It becomes more important with heavier recoil, but slight variences in grip will affect how the gun moves and then groups downrange.

Other than that, all the basics still apply. Have fun!

tazman
05-04-2019, 08:49 PM
Without getting too complex beyond the regular basics I'll give 2 bits of advice for your first time.

1, take some different size bullseyes and a larger clean backer. For 25 yards I use a black circle about 2.5" diameter. Out at 50 yards 4-6" diameter. The larger new clean cardboard backer is to get a clean picture with your rear sight notch. Kind of hard to shoot well with an uneven sight picture.

2, consistent grip pressure with both hands. It becomes more important with heavier recoil, but slight variences in grip will affect how the gun moves and then groups downrange.

Other than that, all the basics still apply. Have fun!

Noted.
I will probably use a piece of poster board and some 4 inch stick on bullseyes for the first run because I don't know where the boolits will hit the target.
I have the revolvers sighted in for about 12-15 yards. I would expect them to be close to center at 25 yards. At 50 yards, I have no idea what to expect.
I could use a B27 silhouette and may do that just for grins anyway.
For 50 yards, I will probably start off with the revolver rested. I shake too much to get decent groups at a distance without one. Getting old is a tough game.

StrawHat
05-04-2019, 11:16 PM
This might help.

http://www.grantcunningham.com/2011/11/ed-harris-revisiting-the-full-charge-wadcutter/

Many decades ago when I was a cop, I remember talking with several coroners. Those that carried a firearm, carried a 38 Special loaded with wadcutters based on what they had seen on their tables. I reasoned the full charge WC load would be better

Kevin

FergusonTO35
05-05-2019, 12:42 AM
I've been using 3.1 grains Accurate Nitro 100 under a 150 grain Lee SWC in my Charter and S&W snubbies. Clocks 680 fps, very accurate and easy to shoot. Will try it in my larger revolvers soon.

tazman
05-05-2019, 04:42 AM
This might help.

http://www.grantcunningham.com/2011/11/ed-harris-revisiting-the-full-charge-wadcutter/

Many decades ago when I was a cop, I remember talking with several coroners. Those that carried a firearm, carried a 38 Special loaded with wadcutters based on what they had seen on their tables. I reasoned the full charge WC load would be better

Kevin

Back in the late 70s through the 80s I had conversations with serving police officers who said the same thing.
If they were allowed to carry magnum loads, they did so. Otherwise, their choice was wadcutter ammunition.
Of course, bullets have come quite a ways since then and performance has increased. The full power wadcutter will still perform well and can be produced by any boolit caster with good results.

9.3X62AL
05-05-2019, 05:10 AM
Other than the Lymans #358432 and #313492, I haven't done a lot with cast WCs. I have a 1# coffee can full of soft #358063s cast up by Buckshot some years back--they span .363"+, and have seen some use in my Webley-Enfield and S&W M&P in 38 S&W, and in the small-frame 38 S&Ws I have here. Early in my reloading and casting experience I heard the Siren Song of Elmer Keith and his SWC, and as far as wheelgun missiles are concerned I kinda got hooked to that addiction. Having seen a large number of bullet wounds either in trauma rooms or autopsy suites over the years, I can't say that any design of bullet does any recipient any good whatsoever. Debating the WC/SWC/RN/R-FN merits vis-a-vis JHP/FMJ-RN/FMJ/TC burns up bandwidth and dries a lot of printer's ink, but whether it makes a difference in a given shooting situation is meat for the experts to chew over. My carry calibers all either run their 125 grain 36 caliber bullets at 1200 FPS+, or their caliber title starts with a 4 as its first numeral.

avogunner
05-05-2019, 07:04 AM
A gifted 4C 358432 (148gr version) is what started me on my cast journey 30+ years ago. While I'm still learning from the good folks here, there is one thing that has sunk in …. for me, this is 1/3 of the perfect .38 caliber boolit trifecta. Along with the 358156 and 358311, they fit any and all of my needs. 3.2gr of Bullseye has been my standard for this WC for all of that time and I don't think I could improve on it. Great boolit and good luck with your casting!!
Semper Fi

tazman
05-06-2019, 04:01 PM
I got to the range today and took my chronograph with me. I only had the loads with Bullseye and Winchester 231 with me but that was enough to get some idea what is going on.
The velocities were all over the place depending on the revolver used. K frame Target Masterpiece with 6 inch barrel, 686-3 with 8 & 3/8 inch barrel, 686+ with 6 inch barrel, and Ruger Security Six with 6 inch barrel.
The 686-3 with the long barrel consistently produced the lowest velocities followed by the Target Masterpiece, the Ruger, and the 686+ with the highest velocities.
The Bullseye loads averaged 775fps, 816fps, 825fps, and 836fps for the respective revolvers.
The 231 loads averaged 805fps, 829fps, 840fps, and 866fps for the respective revolvers.
All the guns grouped well at 15 yards. When I moved back to 25 yards the groups began to open up as one would expect, with the slower velocities opening more. None of the groups were really bad at this point.
When I moved to 50 yards the groups opened up considerably except for the fastest load in the 686+. It shot two 7 shot 4 inch groups at 50 yards. The other revolvers were on paper(B27 silhouette target)but not in what I would consider a good group.
None of the boolits missed the paper and none of them keyholed. Total of about 80 shots.
It appears that the faster this boolit flies, the better it shoots at distance. The speed is going to be limited by the powder and boolit combination and the attributes of the particular firearm.
All test shooting was done from a rest.
Next I will test some different boolit nose styles and see what they do at distance.
I already know what the magnums will do with magnum loads, so testing them with 38 special loads will be interesting.
It may be that I will need to restrict the wadcutter loads to shorter range. Since that is the expected usage for this boolit/gun combination, the results are more than adequate. The distance from my bedroom door to the center of the living room is about 30 feet.

Walks
05-06-2019, 05:54 PM
I keep seeing these molds on flea Bay. So they must have been popular in the good old days.
When I started my own casting & reloading setup after Military Service. I bought a 2cav #358495 as this bullet was almost an duplicate of the H&G #50, that I grew up on.
It was accurate, but not as accurate as a Factory Swaged W/C. I could never quite match them. I tried clean pure 20/1 alloy too. Tried a #358395 HB that I borrowed from my DAD. Dipper cast or bottom pour.
I even tried pressure casting on the bottom pour. All sized .358dia.

I got my hands on a S&W 14 - 6"bbl with a .357 bore and 6 perfect .357 chamber mouths. I could put 6 Factory HBWC's into one hole at 25yrds. I prefered Hornady HBWC to the speer. Didn't seem to matter when HORNADY changed the design to full knurled bearing surface and dry lube.

In those days (40yrs ago) I was shooting 200-500rds a week, 2-3 times a week. Had perfect vision and rock steady hands.

To be young again.

Youth is truly wasted on the young.

tazman
05-06-2019, 07:20 PM
My eyes were never perfect. I have never had rock steady hands. I didn't have the time or the money to shoot enough when I was young.
I will never know how accurate my guns are since my capabilities aren't up to the task. All I can do is get the best situation that will work for me.
I didn't know I was capable of shooting a 4 inch group at 50 yards with a handgun until today. Even from a rest. That is normally rifle range for me.
I just do the best I can and try to get better. It is a long process when you have as many bad habits as I do.

RogerDat
05-06-2019, 07:49 PM
Funny you should mention the distance from bedroom to living room and not being a bullseye punching shooter at distance. My wife will shoot a bit, enjoys it for a little while but isn't that interested in building it into a highly developed skill. My focus with her and her focus is put all shots in a body mass size target at ranges similar to from bedroom to living room.

Once had a friend over who was lounging laid back on the couch. He picked up a fairly large target peppered with holes, and passing it up to me asked who's target was it, comment that it did not have many bullseyes. I said it was wife's then dropped target back on his chest and asked "how many missed?" it then became apparent that none would have missed his upper body which was the point of that target time.

I also encourage her to put in some time with the 20 gauge shotgun. Considering there is a hallway to funnel any target stupid enough to proceed against the snick-snick of a pump shotgun in a tight corridor the shotgun seems a good option.

Myself I too just want to improve. Don't think I will have the time to devote that would allow me to develop great shooting ability, and by the time I retire and have time I'm guessing the physical decline I already experience will have gotten worse not better. Getting old sure ain't for sissies that's for sure. I just need to be able to shoot well enough to make up for the fact that I can't go several rounds of bare knuckles in a parking lot to resolve threat any more and my running ability has gotten pretty pathetic.

That desire to do "a little better" is why I appreciate the thoughtful testing that other members do. It provides me an excuse to go and try some new load with an extra focus on my part of the accuracy. As opposed to my normal habit of whole shooting session degenerating into scaring cans on a rail.

Tracy
05-06-2019, 07:52 PM
I think that's the mould I have; I'll have to dig it out and see. Mine weighs 160 grains. It shoots well in my .35 Whelen too.
I actually bought it in the flea market of the Dayton Hamvention, over 20 years ago.

Drm50
05-06-2019, 08:38 PM
I have 32-38-44-45 Lyman button nose WC molds. 90% of my shooting is done with them. Actually I cast most soft and are for Target loads. I have cast them hard for 357 & 45 to hunt with. I loaded 45colt at 950fps and shot a deer with Dead results. My brother has a 10x K38 with scope. With hard cast at approx 900fps he can bust clay pigeons at 100yds all day long. I have been looking for a similar mold in 41 to see what it will do in 57.
I have several other WC molds, I don't like the double ender or styles with no grease grooves. Don't like the Lee WC molds but my Bro likes them in his m16 S&W.

MT Gianni
05-06-2019, 08:54 PM
I consider three levels for the 38/357.
1] Wadcutters, HB, Lee or anyone elses there's not a lot of difference
2] 358477, RCBS 150 KT or what ever else you want to call it. A 150-158 gr swc with three equal bands,
3] LBT 180 fn, seen in various forms as a Lee group buy, NOE and MiHec have also run similar.

sniper
05-21-2019, 07:40 AM

That was my experience with HBWC years ago, and I haven't used them since.

But...in the True Spirit of Never Leaving Well-Enough Alone, and after reading Ed Harris' article on full charge Wadcutters, I have the urge to try again. I tried Bullseye, and didn't like it . Not trying to cause a debate here, just stating my preference.

I don't cast any more, and am running out of my supply of the RCBS KT38 150gr. SWC. Can anyone suggest a commercial source for that bullet ~12 BHN?

Now; back to the subject of this thread. Can anyone suggest a source for full wadcutter boolits of a weight and shape that have proven passably accurate in a majority of guns, or doesn't it mater much? I don't have time or inclination to test dozens of boolits for "accuracy", because at 80, I don't buy green bananas any more!:mrgreen:

I now have Unique, Universal, Trail Boss and AA#5 powder, and more manuals and load information than I can ever possibly use. Any recommendations for Wadcutter loads using those powders: 357 brass, standard primers, 4" barrel ~ 800 fps?
Thanx!8-)

cwlongshot
05-21-2019, 07:52 AM
I have been enjoying the Lyman 358429 with 6 grs of Bullseye special case loaded to mag length.

Shoots sub sonic even from a 10” Contender. Clean and accurate. Mine are Powder Coated.

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v465/CWLONGSHOT/DF10C268-3FE2-4879-8EF4-36AE49AC2D6F_zpscgq13bnt.jpeg

CW

Petrol & Powder
05-21-2019, 08:21 AM
That was my experience with HBWC years ago, and I haven't used them since.

But...in the True Spirit of Never Leaving Well-Enough Alone, and after reading Ed Harris' article on full charge Wadcutters, I have the urge to try again. I tried Bullseye, and didn't like it . Not trying to cause a debate here, just stating my preference.

I don't cast any more, and am running out of my supply of the RCBS KT38 150gr. SWC. Can anyone suggest a commercial source for that bullet ~12 BHN?

Now; back to the subject of this thread. Can anyone suggest a source for full wadcutter boolits of a weight and shape that have proven passably accurate in a majority of guns, or doesn't it mater much? I don't have time or inclination to test dozens of boolits for "accuracy", because at 80, I don't buy green bananas any more!:mrgreen:

I now have Unique, Universal, Trail Boss and AA#5 powder, and more manuals and load information than I can ever possibly use. Any recommendations for Wadcutter loads using those powders: 357 brass, standard primers, 4" barrel ~ 800 fps?
Thanx!8-)

Before I started casting, I shot a truckload or two of commercial HBWC's; mostly Speer and Horandy. I had excellent results. Most of that was with WW231.

I've all but abandoned the HBWC and when I occasionally need some I purchase them. Solid wadcutters are a different story. They perform well and can be safely pushed much faster (which makes them more useful over a wide range of velocities).

As for a commercially available full WC around 12 BHn, I would look at Missouri Bullet :

http://missouribullet.com/details.php?prodId=118&category=5&secondary=9

sagamore-one
05-21-2019, 08:44 AM
Well, I am not a fan of full wad cutter boolits.
I find the Lee 166gr SWC to shoot extremely well at all distances and all velocities and with all revolvers in my collection. They make a shorter 140 gr and even shorter 105 gr of the same boolit design. The 166 excels at ranges over 100 yards and is my "go to " boolit.

tazman
05-21-2019, 10:33 AM
Well, I am not a fan of full wad cutter boolits.
I find the Lee 166gr SWC to shoot extremely well at all distances and all velocities and with all revolvers in my collection. They make a shorter 140 gr and even shorter 105 gr of the same boolit design. The 166 excels at ranges over 100 yards and is my "go to " boolit.

Is that a discontinued or group buy mold?
It doesn't appear on the Lee web site for me.

onelight
05-21-2019, 10:57 AM
The Lee C358-158 I have throws bullets that weigh 168 lubed with GC But I think Lee catalogs 4 different 158 gr. bullets.

sagamore-one
05-21-2019, 01:11 PM
My 2 cavity simply says 358- 166 swc. Label on my 6 cavity states 358-166 swc 90323. Both Lee . Neither one is a group buy.

onelight
05-21-2019, 01:39 PM
Is this it in this thread?
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?122553-Tell-me-about-the-LEE-358-166-SWC

sagamore-one
05-21-2019, 01:58 PM
Yep that's the one.

Jtarm
05-21-2019, 04:38 PM
Tazman,

What do your throats measure & what diameter are you sizing to?

S&Ws tend to have some tight throats.

Wadcutters for SD: they don’t even have to be full-charge. Factory target WCs penetrate about the same as a lot of +P HPs.

That’s if the HPs expand.

tazman
05-21-2019, 08:23 PM
I have several different revolvers from both S&W and Ruger. The throats are all over the place. Fortunately the throats are all larger than the groove diameter on any given gun so I don't get any leading.
Because of the different throat diameters, I was surprised when a particular boolit, at .358, shot so well in all of them.

Walks
05-24-2019, 02:23 AM
I'm Pretty lucky with the .38/.357's I have. My S&W 14-6" is .357bbl w/ .357 for all 6 chambers. My other 5-6 .38/.357 that I regularly shoot are close enough. I can't shot anywhere as well as I used to. Eyes have gone bad and arthritis has done for my hands.

But I stick with old standbys; 150-160gr over 2.7-3.5grs of Bullseye. Mostly SWC or RN. And some RNFP for the Kid's Cowboy loads.
Most are from Lyman molds. And I have one Lee 38-RNFP 6cav I bought to replace the "lost" Lyman 4cav.

But now I think I'll dig out that 2cav #358495, just to cast something different. It'd be a waste for me to shoot those Hornady 38 HBWC that I have stock piled.

It ought to be fun to try something old again.