PDA

View Full Version : New shop update

Pages : 1 [2]

country gent
11-12-2019, 08:41 PM
Well today I figured out what I needed and ordered the materials for the e inside walls and ceiling. Once these are in place then the electricians can come in and do their magic. Studs are every 16". ceiling joists will be 2 X6s. Walls will be finished in 1/4" plywood. Also ordered the door tracks and rollers for the pocket door, these are rated for u to a 450lb door. So I have a lot of leeway building the door now. Got the capsule style "anchors" we used at work, Drill hole drop capsule in push stud in with hammer drill rotating it to depth. Let sit for45 min to an hour and tighten nuts. These should work well and be quick and simple.

lead-1
11-12-2019, 10:04 PM
Well you learn something new all the time, I had never heard of capsule style anchors or chemical anchors, thats interesting so I looked them up.
When we put studs in the floor where I used to work we would drill completely thru the floor. This way when someone on a lift truck hit the studs or poles and sheared off a a stud we just hammered a new one right on top of the old one and tightened the nut. Eventually the old ones were pushed thru and into the dirt under the floor.

MrWolf
11-13-2019, 10:44 AM
I never heard of them either. I am finishing my walls with drywall then pegboard over everything. Sounds like you are getting there. Bet ya can't wait.

Hossfly
11-13-2019, 11:52 AM
On my big shop when I needed to anchor something, would drill appropriate size hole, in concrete slab, melt some (Sulphur) to a liquid (stay upwind) pour in dry hole then insert piece of all thread. Sulphur will expand when cooled.

country gent
11-14-2019, 12:59 PM
Wood, nails, door tracks and rollers were all delivered today. everything but the chemical anchors. Door tracks and rollers are rated for up to a 450 lb door. SO pocket door should roll pretty easy when done.

MrWolf
11-14-2019, 01:00 PM
I still think you should adopt me. That is a garage dreams are made off.

country gent
11-14-2019, 04:12 PM
Mr. Wolf , While not making dreams I am fulfilling one with this shop building. I have been planning wanting this for 30+ years. Im now in a place to make it a reality. The old garage ws smaller (2 1/2) cars and open. For years in hot and cold weather I tinkered sweating and freezing. when Im done here the shop will be enclosed, insulted well, heated and air conditioned. It will have a full metal shop and pretty well equipped wood shop in the room. I know have a garage area slightly bigger than the old garage and my shop Ive been planning. Im really looking forward to "driving the last Nail" and being able to put all the new equipment to use.

Its been a long process. starting with cleaning out a garage with 30 years of accumulation in it. The removing the old building . putting up the new building ( here I learned a lot watching and helping). Having the lathes mill and grinder moved in ( this required the aid of riggers / millwrights, the nardinni lathe was 3500 lbs stripped down). Building a new work bench for in the room (pics are in this thread ), Now framing up the 2 interior walls 1 with a sliding pocket door 10' high and 8' wide.

Left to go is getting electricians to wire room and building, Feting furnace man in for furnace and Air conditioner install ( on a 17' X 30' room I think wall if ceiling minted will be fine). Insulate room and then finish out side of the inside 2 walls. I have a ways to go yet but hopefully by late spring will be done. Almost a full year start to finish. But when Done Im going to have a very nice shop and garage that is very well equipped

I still need to find a welder and a saw, along with some mill tooling (dividing head, rotary table)

1911sw45
11-14-2019, 05:14 PM
As to welder Miller is the way to go.

country gent
11-14-2019, 05:32 PM
Im looking at a Millermatic? multi purpose that does mig tig and arc both flux cores and gas. For the saw Im thinking the dake workmatic vertical, would like a doall or marvel rolling saw but they bring big bucks well used even.

We had miller welders in the shops I worked they are good most were a power supply with mig and arc or tig and arc both on them. The weld booth in the tool room had a miller with all 3 and water cooled.

1911sw45
11-14-2019, 07:45 PM
You can’t go wrong with a Miller. They cost more but one thing you don’t want to skimp on.

MaryB
11-14-2019, 08:05 PM
Mr. Wolf , While not making dreams I am fulfilling one with this shop building. I have been planning wanting this for 30+ years. Im now in a place to make it a reality. The old garage ws smaller (2 1/2) cars and open. For years in hot and cold weather I tinkered sweating and freezing. when Im done here the shop will be enclosed, insulted well, heated and air conditioned. It will have a full metal shop and pretty well equipped wood shop in the room. I know have a garage area slightly bigger than the old garage and my shop Ive been planning. Im really looking forward to "driving the last Nail" and being able to put all the new equipment to use.

Its been a long process. starting with cleaning out a garage with 30 years of accumulation in it. The removing the old building . putting up the new building ( here I learned a lot watching and helping). Having the lathes mill and grinder moved in ( this required the aid of riggers / millwrights, the nardinni lathe was 3500 lbs stripped down). Building a new work bench for in the room (pics are in this thread ), Now framing up the 2 interior walls 1 with a sliding pocket door 10' high and 8' wide.

Left to go is getting electricians to wire room and building, Feting furnace man in for furnace and Air conditioner install ( on a 17' X 30' room I think wall if ceiling minted will be fine). Insulate room and then finish out side of the inside 2 walls. I have a ways to go yet but hopefully by late spring will be done. Almost a full year start to finish. But when Done Im going to have a very nice shop and garage that is very well equipped

I still need to find a welder and a saw, along with some mill tooling (dividing head, rotary table)

Go with as much insulation as you can! When I built my garage/shop they put 8" in the walls and R50 in the attic space. Even the overhead door is R14... with no heat on the coldest it gets in winter is 28. I need to buy a furnace for in there so it can stay around 55 all winter.

country gent
11-15-2019, 11:50 AM
The 2 out side walls ( the actual buildings walls will be roughly 6" thick for insulation and the 2 framed inner walls will be roughly 4" thick for insulation) Are protected by the house and a few trees from prevailing wind directions. The inner 2 walls will see no wind being inside the building. This will make heating and cooling easier. The ceiling is going to be 2x6 joists and I may build a 6" framed platform for storage and add another 6" of blown in on top of the rolled in there. I see the ceiling being the big heat loss in this room. I may seal walls with plastic sheeting to stop drafts and leaks not sure yet on this. Front wall is going to be thicker than normal due to the pocket door in it. It will be 4" on each side of the 2" thick door. SO that's going to be good. AM planning on using strogoam insulation board in the 9' x 10' door itself. Tracks and rollers are rated for up to a 450lb door so they should be more than enough.

I have the wood, door tracks, and rollers on hand now. Waiting on the chemical anchors and some warmer weather.

country gent
11-21-2019, 10:36 PM
Went out today and started sorting wood some. Also when I got to the 1 x 6s I got side tracked. measured out the bench and cut the leg notches in one laid it in place and checked fit. Then glued and doweled in place. cut three more to fit between legs and set them in place. Have 1 more to cut notches for legs and set in place. The 3 in-between the legs went in nice and snug. had to rise center two and tap down in place. Almost no gap or joint showing. But the lower shelf makes the bench look better than the frame did. Once the shelf is glued and doweled in place the only thing left is to finish the top down flat and smooth.
A lot of the wood is very good as to straight and smooth.
The bench was built all with hand tools ( other than drill press and sanding). the mortise saw is a big plus here with its deeper blade and finer kerf.

country gent
12-09-2019, 12:17 PM
Haven't been doing a lot between grandsons, doctors appointments and life in general. I did cut and fit the last board for the benches shelf the other day. Im hoping to order the roll in saw Wednesday for my Christmas present to myself. Its a dake sxc workmate vertical cut off saw.

NyFirefighter357
12-09-2019, 11:47 PM
The 2 out side walls ( the actual buildings walls will be roughly 6" thick for insulation and the 2 framed inner walls will be roughly 4" thick for insulation) Are protected by the house and a few trees from prevailing wind directions. The inner 2 walls will see no wind being inside the building. This will make heating and cooling easier. The ceiling is going to be 2x6 joists and I may build a 6" framed platform for storage and add another 6" of blown in on top of the rolled in there. I see the ceiling being the big heat loss in this room. I may seal walls with plastic sheeting to stop drafts and leaks not sure yet on this. Front wall is going to be thicker than normal due to the pocket door in it. It will be 4" on each side of the 2" thick door. SO that's going to be good. AM planning on using strogoam insulation board in the 9' x 10' door itself. Tracks and rollers are rated for up to a 450lb door so they should be more than enough.

I have the wood, door tracks, and rollers on hand now. Waiting on the chemical anchors and some warmer weather.

Call and check on spray foam prices you might be better off letting them seal the building.

country gent
12-11-2019, 03:12 PM
Ordered the saw today for my Christmas present to myself a 14 1/2" X 8 1/2" roll in saw. 1hp 3/4" X 120" band with upgrade vice and hydraulic feed damping. This saw will do cut off and contour both. Made in Cleveland Ohio.

lightman
12-11-2019, 04:54 PM
Thats a nice Christmas gift!

Mal Paso
12-11-2019, 06:09 PM
I just watched the video. That saw IS Nice!

country gent
12-11-2019, 09:07 PM
The vertical cut offs are more versatile I than the horizontals in that flats, triangles, squares can be rough cut and save a lot of mill time. Angle plates can be roughed and the square cut out used elsewhere. Ive used the doall and marvels in shops and really liked them.

country gent
12-16-2019, 01:03 PM
Well today the chemical anchors arrived finally.

Wayne Smith
12-17-2019, 08:38 AM
Do those have a temp limitation? Of course you do have heat in there now.

country gent
12-17-2019, 11:55 AM
Nope no heat yet. need to get the inner 2 walls up and then wired up. Hoping mybe this weekend if it warms up enough. They do have a temp restriction. so may have to se walls then put them in later.

country gent
12-17-2019, 10:43 PM
The saw was delivered to the tool shop today. They called and said everything was in. Roll In even went so far as to install the 2 accessory packages free of charge for me. Now the tool shop and movers need to get together and hopefully by Friday the saw will be here.

country gent
12-18-2019, 05:36 PM
Movers just called saw will be delivered Friday. Shouldn't take them long here. LOL. Talked to them about a used grind r lap and carbide grinder He thinks they may have one or both also.

country gent
12-21-2019, 06:48 PM
A warm day today and brother in law and another came over. Set up the miter saw on the cut box set stop board and cut wall studs to length. Now have the 30' wall framed in 10 foot lengths. leaning against the wall. Tomorrow the 17' front wall and maybe the panel door. Got some more done today.

Actually went pretty quick. with the cut box under the miter and the stop board we could cut 3 studs to length at a time. The set the center sections header and footers on the floor. Laid out center and nailed in the first stud. 2 story boards and worked in the studs. laid the story boards in place against one stud and set the next. 16" center every time. went real good today.

Tomorrow will do the front wall and hang the track for the pocket door in it. Hopefully set the walls in place.

country gent
12-22-2019, 06:40 PM
Mitch and my son were over today framed up the front wall for the pocket door. And set the framed walls in place. I now have a room in the building ( walk thru walls though right now) Shop is 16' 6" wide and 30' long inside measurements. We had a very good day. Son learned a lot. Its getting closer

NyFirefighter357
12-23-2019, 01:35 AM
Mitch and my son were over today framed up the front wall for the pocket door. And set the framed walls in place. I now have a room in the building ( walk thru walls though right now) Shop is 16' 6" wide and 30' long inside measurements. We had a very good day. Son learned a lot. Its getting closer

Pictures of your shop from Mitch:

https://i.imgur.com/BpkyJTW.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/HLq3EJ1.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/iCDZkx4.jpg

woodbutcher
12-23-2019, 02:59 AM
:D Looks like things are coming along quite nicely.Especially in the machine shop area.I`m jealous.Here`s wishing you and yours a Merry Christmas and a safe,happy,healthy and prosperous New Year.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

MrWolf
12-23-2019, 08:59 AM
:D Looks like things are coming along quite nicely.Especially in the machine shop area.I`m jealous.Here`s wishing you and yours a Merry Christmas and a safe,happy,healthy and prosperous New Year.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

Wishing you the same. Still jealous. It is coming along nicely.

Pressman
12-23-2019, 09:06 AM
Thanks for the pictures, it's hard to visualize what you are building. To say that it is an impressive shop is an understatement. I am glad you are working on completing a dream.

Ken

lightman
12-23-2019, 10:19 AM
Thats a nice looking shop! I have really enjoyed mine although its smaller than yours. I hope you enjoy it as much as I have enjoyed mine!

country gent
12-23-2019, 10:40 AM
Here in a little bit the movers will be delivering the saw. then a welder and air compressir

country gent
12-23-2019, 11:50 AM
Saw is here and in the building now. Took the movers 30 mins including unloading lift truck and loading it back up LOL.

Mitch
12-23-2019, 11:03 PM
The Stack of wood went down the walls went up.I am happy my pics came out good.I am realy out of shape I think my hair hurt this moring!

country gent
12-26-2019, 04:36 PM
Ordered the wood to stud the existing walls in anf the black iron pipe for the air manifold on top of the room.

country gent
12-27-2019, 12:16 PM
JUst heard back from the electricians, Next week hes coming out to look it over and give me an estimate. 2 weeks before he can actually get to it.

jonp
12-31-2019, 07:44 AM
That is one nice shop. I keep badgering SWMBO for one but it will be a much smaller. On the order of 12-14 x 20. No lathe so that would be big enough for casting, general work etc.

jonp
12-31-2019, 07:47 AM
Im looking at a Millermatic? multi purpose that does mig tig and arc both flux cores and gas. For the saw Im thinking the dake workmatic vertical, would like a doall or marvel rolling saw but they bring big bucks well used even.

We had miller welders in the shops I worked they are good most were a power supply with mig and arc or tig and arc both on them. The weld booth in the tool room had a miller with all 3 and water cooled.

If you have the money then go for it. If not then the HB Vulcan's get good reviews. I'd go that way myself as I'm not a professional and wouldn't be using it for work.

country gent
12-31-2019, 01:24 PM
THe actual shop ended up being 16 1/2 ' wide and 30' long inside the building. Its filling up quick though.

Wayne Smith
12-31-2019, 03:17 PM
There is never enough room in a shop or reloading room!

slim1836
12-31-2019, 03:22 PM
I really like the deer blind on top of the building. :Fire:

Slim

jonp
12-31-2019, 05:26 PM
There is never enough room in a shop or reloading room!

Ain't that the truth

MrWolf
01-01-2020, 10:22 AM
I really like the deer blind on top of the building. :Fire:

Slim

I positioned my window off center to allow for a direct line of site. Used a basement window that I installed upside down so I could just lift it up and attach a hold on it to keep it open. Strictly for target shooting ease........

country gent
01-12-2020, 04:07 PM
Air compressor came last week. Wood came also. Haven't got a lot done A medication change put me down with Diarrhea for 10 days. Thank-fully thats finally over.

country gent
01-21-2020, 04:04 PM
Electrician was out today. We discussed what I wanted what was needed. In the garage portion of the building 2 110 outlets on each wall on the outside of the shop wall 2 220 outlets nd an outlet between the doors 110. lights are fine and will be wired into switch. In the room drops for the 2 lathes. mill and grinder will be wall outlets. 1 breaker panel for building and main to shop room inside the entry door, 1 breaker panel inside shop room for machines 1 switch panel inside door for lights in the room. The Air compressor, Saw and rotary converter for the lathe will be in the garage outside the room ( keep the noise out of the shop) the saw so long bars dont have to be carried thru the shop and out.
Will get the estimate / quote next week. Then to get the heating guys in

lightman
01-21-2020, 11:40 PM
It sounds like you are nearing completion. It will be a nice shop when you are finished!

country gent
01-22-2020, 12:21 PM
In a little bit Im calling the heating cooling shop to fet an idea of what I need for heat and air conditioning plus the estimate. Here the only thing I really want is a programmable thermostat. SO I can set it to come on around 7:30 about an hour before Ill be out and shut down to 55-60* around 5-6. Several think I should heat the whole building but heating a 40' x 50' x 20' to the peak with 2 12" sill vents and an 18" ridge vent is foinf to be very expensive LOL. Im heating and cooling the 16'6" X 30' x 10' Shop room what leaks out thru the insulation can heat the building LOL

MrWolf
01-22-2020, 09:41 PM
Might want to think about a wifi thermostat. Turn it on a bit before going out in the shop. I never tried one but just an idea. Good luck.

country gent
01-24-2020, 01:28 PM
I sat down and figured out the btus to heat and cool the shop room. Room is 17' wide X 30' long X 10' tall. I figured 14,000 btus with it being well insulated. Would appreciate someone with more experience double checking me. The 2 walls on outside of building are 2X6 construction ceiling is 2x6 joists and the 2 walls inside the building are 2 X 4 construction.

country gent
01-30-2020, 11:31 PM
Heating and cooling man was out today. The tube heater (induction radiant) I liked he didnt recommend thinking it would be to much when under it. He recommended a small heat ac unit inside the building and vented into the shop. with 3 vents just under ceiling level. Furnace would be vented outside. He felt the vent less would have moisture problems. He has the info he needs and is figuring a system and estimate for me

rancher1913
01-31-2020, 09:02 AM
the tube heaters do make you warm when under them. work has them and you can put them on t-stats to make them more person friendly, all the mechanics keep their tool boxes under them and we all tend to stay under them so unless they are only a few feet above you you will not get to hot.

country gent
01-31-2020, 10:10 AM
The ceiling in the shop is 10' He thought that would be close

country gent
02-01-2020, 10:06 PM
Heard back from another Heating shop, they are recommending a "split" with a heat pump to handle both. Tomorrow were framing in the long wall of the building and possibly hanging some ceiling joists. Heard back from the electrician and thats a go.

I have the screws here now to hang the walls sheeting with so thats ready. I drew out and made the bill of materials for the ceiling mounted air manifold, then figured volumes it will add 9 1/2 gallons capacity to the compressors tank.

Im getting close to making chips.

The biggest jib is coming up once the room is done and shelves, cabinets and boxes are set in place. Organizing all the tooling where it can be found gotten at in a handy way. Chucks lathe and drill, collets collets chucks drawbars, vises, cutting tools, drills, reamers,mills, boring heads. I have 4 shelving units now 18 x 48 x 42" I bought 96" tall and assembled in 1/2 units. But will no doubt need more.

NyFirefighter357
02-02-2020, 02:25 AM
Heard back from another Heating shop, they are recommending a "split" with a heat pump to handle both. Tomorrow were framing in the long wall of the building and possibly hanging some ceiling joists. Heard back from the electrician and thats a go.

I have the screws here now to hang the walls sheeting with so thats ready. I drew out and made the bill of materials for the ceiling mounted air manifold, then figured volumes it will add 9 1/2 gallons capacity to the compressors tank.

Im getting close to making chips.

The biggest jib is coming up once the room is done and shelves, cabinets and boxes are set in place. Organizing all the tooling where it can be found gotten at in a handy way. Chucks lathe and drill, collets collets chucks drawbars, vises, cutting tools, drills, reamers,mills, boring heads. I have 4 shelving units now 18 x 48 x 42" I bought 96" tall and assembled in 1/2 units. But will no doubt need more.

I would suggest a high efficiency A/C with heat pump. They have units that will work at 0F or even -20F if sized properly. You may want to think about a remote themostat so you can get the shop heated up before you get out there. If that's the case stay away from the Nest system & go with a Honeywell Ecobee.

country gent
02-02-2020, 09:28 PM
Well was a productive day today. Got the long wall framed in. His was the existing building wall so had to work around posts a door and 2 windows. Came out good the windows now have a wide sill on them. My Son, Mitch from here, and I worked at it.

Ordered 6 led lights for the room 3 down each side angled to opposite corner at floor. By angling them like this it should help alleviate and shadows or dark spots. Have the back 17' wall to stud in and ceiling joist to hang. Also have the hardware to hang them now in a solid fixed type mount.

country gent
02-07-2020, 04:24 PM
Talked to mitch the other night about the wall sheeting and ceiling. A big pain by hand. We discussed a stand for the die cart to use it to raise it up but this would mean posking each sheet up 6-61/2' to get it on it, still a major job. SO today I started looking at dry wall jacks and got ideas all were a very simple winch type crank up to raise and lower and I can see that getting old quickly. So Im thinking of making my own using a 2 stage air cylinder. main tube is 42" tall 1 st ram is 44" and 2nd ram is 52". Ill loose 3" travel to each stage. so this cylinder should give around 130" open plus the roller base. At roughly 58" tall and a rotating rack the edge of the plywood should only need to be picked up around 30" high. Set in place and the rack tipped level a fence gate closer around the cylinder on a piece of flat stock should hold it close to level to line up with the joists. To raise 1 spring loaded lecer valve is squeezed and another is squeezed to gravity lower. I can by the materials for very close to what the ones I saw that cost around $200.

Mal Paso
02-07-2020, 11:20 PM
Hire 2 sheetrockers and have it done in a couple hours. Lids are hung with special benches you stand on. Hold the sheet in place with your head while you get the first few screws in. A couple rockers can have it done before you can set up any of those drywall lifts. I rocked in my younger days and still do my own.

They will use 12 foot sheets for fewer seams if you're going with regular 1/2 inch.

country gent
02-08-2020, 01:51 PM
Im ding plywood walls with brass screws. Were having a good time doing this and my Son along with some younger family members are learning a lot. If I make the jack Ill have a platform that allows the person to stand on it and reach the ceiling. could also install remote control so they don't have to get down. THe jack will be a fun project and be useful

blackthorn
02-08-2020, 01:52 PM
The guys that built my shop worked in tandem to put the gyprock on the ceiling. The boss and one worker stood one at each end of scaffolding and the bosses 6'5" son picked up each piece of 12 foot gyprock, lifted it over his head and walked up a short ramp onto the scaffold and held it in position while the other two got screws started. Then he went for another sheet while they finished securing it in place. Shop is 30x40 feet with 12 foot ceiling.

country gent
02-09-2020, 11:50 PM
Well today a lot was accomplished. We got the headers on the long framed wall. Saw sat down in the floor and close to where it ends up. All the ceiling joist cut and lengthened. My son and Austin learned a lot again. ( one that saws are heavy LOL). Got all the joists up on the headers so they were off the floor and lined up so all we need to do is slide them in place.Slices are set 180* so no two line up in a straight line.

country gent
02-13-2020, 02:05 PM
Well got the senco collated screw gun yesterday. This will be a plus for the wall sheeting and ceiling. Uses a 50 screw strip ( silicone rubber type strip) and feeds the screws as needed. Nice looking tool that should make short use of the 2000 screws I bought with it, Ill probably need 1000 more when the outside is done. Got the long drill bits I needed and a lb of 1 / 16" copper brazing rod to do the lights hangers with

country gent
02-21-2020, 02:14 PM
Hoping Sunday to set the ceiling joists and frame in the last wall. Tues heating and cooling guy is coming to five a firm idea and estimate on heating and cooling the room. Leaning towards a mini split unit with heat pump. Talked to the guy today and he agrees putting the pump inside the building and out side the room with a louver would increase life and also efficiency of the unit at lower temps. Ceiling mounted panel in the room. He also agrees the unit can be powered from house side of box saving the shops power for machines.

Mal Paso
02-21-2020, 08:51 PM
Well got the senco collated screw gun yesterday. This will be a plus for the wall sheeting and ceiling. Uses a 50 screw strip

I bought the Hitachi auto feed screwgun and 3,000 senco screws for my home and shop. Corners are tricky but in the field they work perfect and it's as fast as you can go. Turns a tedious job into a pleasure. Reviews of the Senco and Hitachi both mentioned corners being tricky. The Hitachi converts to single screw for tight spots or where the screw angle is steep to catch the stud but usually it was easier to grab the Makita cordless drill.

All of the screw guns want to be 90 degrees to the surface and work less well at angles.

jonp
02-22-2020, 12:06 PM
Where are your update pictures? I'd like to see how it is coming or a progression from start to now to finish. It would be interesting

country gent
02-22-2020, 12:26 PM
If Mitch comes out Sunday Ill ask him to post some new pics for me. I dont have the means too. Its been a long project getting to here. But Im getting close now. Grandsons (6 5 and 2) were originally told I bought a seed that said garage on it at the store and planted it. LOL. wish it was really was that easy.

jonp
02-22-2020, 05:28 PM
Yes, It's over a year now but the good part is that when it's done it will be exactly how you want it not some off the shelf job where you are constantly saying "I wish I had done this". :drinks:

country gent
02-22-2020, 06:04 PM
Oh Im sure at some point that will happen. :-). A friend brought me 2 metal lockers today. 14" wide and 18" deep 6' tall. one is going to get a 18: golden rod dehumidifier and shelves to use for welding rods and other consumable storage. The other will become a smoker, Nice heavy metal lockers in very good shape

Wayne Smith
02-24-2020, 08:30 PM
I know your feeling. We have planted a meditation garden at the Church. I tell people that you plant flowers for yourself, shrubs for your kids, and trees for your grandkids. We started this in our 60's and planted trees!

country gent
02-26-2020, 09:58 PM
Well today I did some running and ordered more materials. Went to bank and transferred some money to pay electrician, ordered a few more 2x4s 2x6s and 2x8s to have on hand. and some more nails, always more nails LOL. Also got a rod dehumidifier for in the one locker and primer and paint for them. SOw last night and more tonight to come. Talked yesterday to another Heating cooling guy, waiting on the estimates from the last 2 now.

country gent
03-01-2020, 07:12 PM
Ceiling joists are now set and anchored in place and last wall is framed in ready for electricians and heating cooling guys.

country gent
03-06-2020, 12:31 PM
Okay Gentleman, Yesterday the electrician was out and got the garage finished up. Got the lines ran for all the machines but 1 outlets lines all ran and to boxes 110 outlets are dine just need outlets and covers in them. Welders outlets need to be ran yet. The welder outlets and big lathe rotary converter need 6 gauge wire. Have the cable from house to garage to run yet.

Talked to heating and cooling today also, a 1 ton mini split is going in the room for heat and ac. wall mounted cassette condenser invertor will be in the garage with a louvered panel in the wall for it. pan and drain to outside. This will keep it out of wind and weather and in cold weather the building warmth will aid it. This will be on a programmable thermostat and power will come off the house side of the box leaving the 100 amp service for the shop and garage. This unit is rated for 700 sq feet I have 550 sq ft.

Im beginning to think of this building in terms of B.O.A.T ( bust out another thousand) LOL.

lightman
03-06-2020, 03:56 PM
Its just money! :-D It will be nice when you get it finished.

country gent
03-06-2020, 04:08 PM
I know, Here in a little bit Im going to order the insulation, and black pipe for the air manifold. Brother in law and his step grandson are coming over tomorrow to start sheeting the walls where the contractors need them. The new senco collated screw gun should speed this up a lot. Have a oscillating saw coming but wont be here tomorrow so use the old jig saw for now.

Seems like every time I turn around Im ordering more nails screws or staples. Im going to be happy to get the stack of plywood out of the way also. LOL. 50+ sheets 4x8 take up a chunk of floor

country gent
03-09-2020, 01:44 PM
Saturday we got the sheeting on the walls where the electrician needed it. This was a little tricky since he needed it on both sides but we had to be able to still install insulation. But we got it done. Sunday Mitch and I framed up the pocket door for the front wall. This door is roughly 8' tall and 8' wide It will roll back into the front wall. This leaves a 8' door in line with the 6' double entry doors. There is a 4' entry door in the back corner of the shop also. Need to drill the door track for bolts to hold it in and mount it up then hang the door. the opening is 2 1/2" and the door will end up 2" thick. Track and rollers are rated for 600 lbs so this door should roll easy for me. This door will be easier for me from the wheel chair and also make a solid secure door. It will also be enclosed on all sides so a good seal for heating and cooling also.

country gent
03-12-2020, 02:31 PM
Electrician was out today power lines ran to machines phase converters and welding outlets. tarted wiring in breakers in panels got all the 110 and 220s in but the machines and welding. Ready to do the walls when the insulation gets here. ( scheduled for 3-26 according to lowes). Need to hang pocket door yet But its also waiting on insulation. He waiting on the 4 breakers for the welding outlets also. Still have to trench the line in from house to garage. He is thinking 2 more days and will have the wiring done.

country gent
03-13-2020, 04:45 PM
Boy is this waiting hard. Im close to being done and theres not much left to do with out the insulation. Im sitting here thinking about the air manifold and its materials but it cant go in until the insulation is in Same with the pocket door can hang the track but cant finish the door until insulation is here. Cant set shelves and organize tooling until walls are finished. same with lights cant hang them until ceiling / walls are done

Wayne Smith
03-16-2020, 02:27 PM
Yeah, in everything waiting is hard. My favorite cartoon is a Peanuts - Charlie Brown is sitting in his beanbag chair six inches from the TV when Lucy walks in. "What have you been doing, Lucy?" "Oh, I was praying, but I quit". "Why did you quit?" asks Charlie. "Well, I was praying for God to teach me patience, but - I was afraid He would!"

Waiting is especially hard when you can see the end but can't yet reach it.

country gent
03-27-2020, 10:44 PM
Well this evening we for the 2 outside walls insulated These have the R19 in them. Worked around 2 windows a door and the outlets. Went good Sunday we will hang wall sheeting and rest of insulation if all goes well the door track and pocket door.

Hopefully Electrician and heating wont be tied up to long. Building was a lot warmer with just those 2 walls done

country gent
03-29-2020, 01:03 AM
Sat tonight and figured the air Manifold for the shop out got it for 8 drops into the room 4 on outside of wall. 1 Pressure gauge in the room so I can tell what I have. One drop and valve for water drop. 2 air connects at each electrical outlet one on each side. With this I will only need a couple 15' air hoses, and the air compressor will be in the garage outside of the room. 2 25' runs 4 17' cross and 8 6' drops this will put the drops roughly 4' off the floor. I need one dedicated drop for the feed on the saw. This will increase the tank volume by almost 5 gallons also. Have it figured to go in with 3/4" fall in the 25' length so condensation runs to the drop. when done I will have 8 air couples evenly spaced down each 30' wall. there are 16 110 outlets down each wall so air and electric shouldnt be a problem. LOL also 3 outlets in ceiling but these will be for the lights

country gent
03-29-2020, 10:41 PM
We got the ceiling sheeted and the last of the R 19 insulation in today. The ceiling was 540 sq feet, I think I have enough R 19 to almost put a second layer on the ceiling up above. This was a big job today and went well. Only 4 electrical boxes to cut in, but to be even each sheet had to be cut for width and length. We also started full size sheet then a half on next run so seams dont line up Looks really good, with no ripples waves or rolls showing.

country gent
04-01-2020, 10:49 PM
Today my son put the last 8" screws in the ceiling joists. And we tinkered in the stand for the tungsten electrode sharpener / grinder. Will have to make new guards for the 5' grinder for the conversion. Got the feet on the stand glued and doweled, drying tonight. Started the top and its got one mount glued and drying.
Tomorrow the heating and cooling come to install the mini split and wire it up. Supposed to be 1 1/2 days to install. Closer still

slim1836
04-01-2020, 11:35 PM
Pics or it didn’t happen in purple as I’m not going to try it on my phone. Sounds like it’s coming along.

Slim

country gent
04-02-2020, 12:07 AM
Looking for materials for converting the 5" pedestal grinder into a tungsten sharpener. I need to make new guards for it, they can be fully enclosed. the electrode will go thru a bushing. Lexan cover to see thru

country gent
04-04-2020, 10:29 PM
My luck is still holding as usual for me. Heating and cooling were here Thursday and Friday. Thursday they had 3 emergency calls and Friday had 4 so they didnt get here until late in the day. They do have the power line trenched in and lines ran from house to unit. The wall unit is mounted and lines ran. The invertor is set in place in building and drain ran out. Have to fill and bleed lines and finish installing they said about a day Friday when they left.

Still waiting on an order from Harbor Freight thats going on 3 weeks now and still havent gotten a shipped e-mail. This order is a set of pipe dies, hole saws, and various brushes I will need for the Air manifold.

Tomorrows plan is to install the floor anchors in the 2 new walls and insulate sheet around room to get it ready for the electrician, He also has about a day to go. Buy sheeting the walls in runs around the 3 walls I will get the electrical boxes in and know how much more plywood I need to finish them.

lightman
04-04-2020, 10:58 PM
Sounds like its coming together.

bikerbeans
04-05-2020, 08:57 AM
I can't wait for the virus lockdown to end so I can see your new shop!

BB

muddywaters61
04-09-2020, 06:24 PM
Mr. Gent;

Not to get off track, can I ask exactly what you are going to do in your shop. Are you going to manufacture or is this a repairing some kind of machinery? Forgive me for my ignorance. Thanks.

Muddy Waters66

Wayne Smith
04-09-2020, 07:54 PM
My question is - Did you know Buckshot (Rick) and the things he made? He did several things for me that were unique. I don't know if this is your model or not, but that would be nice.

country gent
04-09-2020, 11:00 PM
The easiest way to explain this shop is this. First it is a hobby shop not a business. I am a tool and die maker by trade 35 years experience. For those years I did what everyone else wanted, and odds and ends I needed went in my pocket to work LOL. Now Im going to do what I want. I have a few firearms I inherited that need work. I have some other projects in mind also. I will do things for friends and family. Working from my wheel chair there is no way a buisness will be a fo LO. The other is I will be able to teach my grandsons the trade and such along with Pride craftsmanship and ethic. I may make some decorative windmills for the yard. Maybe a 1/4 scale parrot gun. Wind chimes, what ever the mood strikes. LOL.

The big thing is I can do it again. Bringing in work it becomes a jb again and have to do.

Wayne Smith
04-10-2020, 07:47 AM
You are exactly right. That's why Rick 'retired' again!

country gent
04-11-2020, 12:23 PM
I will do odd gobs and things for friends and family, no doubt about that. I enjoy helping people out. While there are a lot of shops in this area most dont want to do the walk in work. Getting a part turned up or modified can be hard and expensive. It also waits till there is an opening in the "contract" work.

I also believe a hand made gift is a little more special to the recipient. I made Mom a vase and some other things she wouldnt part with them. Made Dad a cane and Aunt a set of candle holders from the chestnut moulding taken from the original family home built in 1863. Mainly as a reminder of the house for them. When the Aunt opened the box she looked at me and smiled and said these are way better than the brick from the house I asked for. The moulding in the house was chestnut 1 X 4 s I salvaged all I could before it was torn down. 150 year cured wood was harder to work with but the items came out very nice and are reminders.

Most shops rates here are running $100.00- $150.00 an hour for walk in one offs. Adds up pretty quick for a simple modification or repair.

country gent
04-22-2020, 10:26 PM
Last Wednesday we hung the insulation in the long wall leaving the bottoms free. Hopefully Sunday we can install anchors and studs then some sheeting. Working on converting small grinder to sharpen tungsten electrodes, got the wheels need to make 2 new wheel washers for wheels , new guards, and the guide. Talked to harbor fright today the I was assure the order would be here end of week at the latest early next week. Its been 5 weeks since I placed the order. I need this to finish the air manifold.

lightman
04-23-2020, 08:28 AM
Talking about air manifolds.........! They tore down an old cotton gin near me several years ago. When I went out to remove the electric service I walked around inside, just looking around. There was an air manifold hanging on the wall and it was a thing of beauty. You could tell that the guy that built it was a real craftsman! It had the required line coming in and about a half dozen coming out. Each one of those had a shut off valve and a regulator with a gauge. I wish I could have got it, but I couldn't contact the owner before the building was torn down. I didn't have a need for it, but it would been a cool addition to my shop!

country gent
04-23-2020, 11:29 AM
My air manifold is so I can have the compressor outside the shop, so I dont need to listen to it run LOL. with te quick couples now Im only planning on one valve for the water drop. There will be 2 pressure gauges one on each wall. The important thing is the air drops come off the top of the mains so condensation dosnt enter the drops and enough fall to the main so condensate runs to the water drop. I will have 8 air couplers on each long wall for a total of 16 in the shop. thee will be 6 on the outside wall of the shop for in the garage. Basically there will be an air coupler on each side of the electrical outlets. Benefits of the manifold are 1) increase in stored air volume, some are enough that an actual air tank isnt needed. One can plant had a main air line down the center. 30' of 8" then to 30' of 6" to 30' of 4" and last 30' of 2". off of this were the individual lines. This provide enough volume that a tank wasnt really needed. My manifold from 1" and 3/4" will and around 6 gallons to the tank on the compressor. Maybe a little more. If I need to regulate air pressure Ill make a plug in regulator up to plug in where needed. Maybe 2. 2) the compressor is outside the shop where noise isnt an issue. It can run as needed. Listening to a compressor run for hours is tiring LOL. 3) saves floor space in the shop but the manifold does take up some wall space. 4) a couple shorter air hoses are all thats needed not as much running on floor to trip over. Im figuring 2 15' air hoses for general use and a 6-8 foot at each machine dedicated to that spot.

Mine will be black iron but have seen copper use also. ( where air purity was critical). Even the black Iron is pricey for a big manifold mine will have over 100' of 1" in it when done. I considered copper for awhile, soldered joints would be easier than threaded better seal and no rust problems but vibration in it can cause cracks. Im planning on 2 runs of 1" 30' long 8 stand pipes 1" by 6" tall 8 drops 1/2" by 6' and 2 couplers 12" apart on each side of the electrical boxes. The water drop line will be 3/8" X 7' to a valve and a short piece of 3/8.

country gent
04-26-2020, 02:37 PM
Put the anchors in the long inside wall this weekend. concrete was a bear to drill, Harder gravel maybe. Ftnally drilled a 3/8" hole then opened up to 5/8". Even in the cooler use (was roughly 50*) the chemical anchors didn't give a lot of working time. We drilled the hole chamfered the stud and a and hand ground a couple notches in the end. Put a nut on the top end drop anchor in hole stud and tapped in with hammer to depth. Spun with a drill motor for 40-60 seconds to mix and distribute. at 10 mins they wouldnt move at all.

Studs are in insulation is hung get sheeting up soon.

country gent
05-19-2020, 11:38 PM
Electrician will be here tomorrow to finish the wiring. Have corner molding finish nails and wood for ceiling and floor molding on the way. Had a break with the pandemic and help.

NyFirefighter357
05-20-2020, 07:17 AM
My air manifold is so I can have the compressor outside the shop, so I dont need to listen to it run LOL. with te quick couples now Im only planning on one valve for the water drop. There will be 2 pressure gauges one on each wall. The important thing is the air drops come off the top of the mains so condensation dosnt enter the drops and enough fall to the main so condensate runs to the water drop. I will have 8 air couplers on each long wall for a total of 16 in the shop. thee will be 6 on the outside wall of the shop for in the garage. Basically there will be an air coupler on each side of the electrical outlets. Benefits of the manifold are 1) increase in stored air volume, some are enough that an actual air tank isnt needed. One can plant had a main air line down the center. 30' of 8" then to 30' of 6" to 30' of 4" and last 30' of 2". off of this were the individual lines. This provide enough volume that a tank wasnt really needed. My manifold from 1" and 3/4" will and around 6 gallons to the tank on the compressor. Maybe a little more. If I need to regulate air pressure Ill make a plug in regulator up to plug in where needed. Maybe 2. 2) the compressor is outside the shop where noise isnt an issue. It can run as needed. Listening to a compressor run for hours is tiring LOL. 3) saves floor space in the shop but the manifold does take up some wall space. 4) a couple shorter air hoses are all thats needed not as much running on floor to trip over. Im figuring 2 15' air hoses for general use and a 6-8 foot at each machine dedicated to that spot.

Mine will be black iron but have seen copper use also. ( where air purity was critical). Even the black Iron is pricey for a big manifold mine will have over 100' of 1" in it when done. I considered copper for awhile, soldered joints would be easier than threaded better seal and no rust problems but vibration in it can cause cracks. Im planning on 2 runs of 1" 30' long 8 stand pipes 1" by 6" tall 8 drops 1/2" by 6' and 2 couplers 12" apart on each side of the electrical boxes. The water drop line will be 3/8" X 7' to a valve and a short piece of 3/8.

My air manifold is PEX with crimped fittings it's been 5 yrs no issues.

Mal Paso
05-20-2020, 10:00 AM
My air manifold is PEX with crimped fittings it's been 5 yrs no issues.

PEX can't take sunlight but when it fails it splits lengthwise, no flying shrapnel like PVC. I used to run black iron pipe for gas but the county inspectors have been accepting galvanized for so long black iron is getting hard to find. Is there a problem running air through galvanized pipe? I would think water in the compressed air would be a rust problem for black pipe. Even with a dryer it's hard to get all the water out.

country gent
05-20-2020, 04:43 PM
The only issue with galvanized pipe is if it flakes off it can damage air tools.

Electrician was here today, all the 110 outlets are in the 220 outlets are in machine drops in and wired. rotary converter is wired and the bad capacitor replaced. All the breakers are in.

Next week ( barring more rain) He will trench in the 100 amp feed to the garage and finish it up. 2 switches and covers covers on the breaker boxes. Electric is almost done.

NyFirefighter357
05-21-2020, 06:49 AM
PEX can't take sunlight but when it fails it splits lengthwise, no flying shrapnel like PVC. I used to run black iron pipe for gas but the county inspectors have been accepting galvanized for so long black iron is getting hard to find. Is there a problem running air through galvanized pipe? I would think water in the compressed air would be a rust problem for black pipe. Even with a dryer it's hard to get all the water out.

It's hard to find galvanized pipe here except for electrical conduit & everyone uses PVC conduit. Natural Gas lines here are mostly schedule 40 black pipe except new gas mains in the road are plastic. LP lines use the yellow PVC coated copper tubing. We use the orange PVC coated copper tubing for heating oil lines.

There isn't much sunlight in my garage & the PEX is run along the ceiling & behind the shelving.

I did my buddies in 3/4" copper with 95/5 solder & connected the compressor to the line with a rubber flex hose with a swivel, It's been about 20 years & never had a problem, it's about 100ft in total piping.

Wayne Smith
05-21-2020, 07:42 AM
Sounds like you will be using it by summer? Good going.

country gent
05-21-2020, 09:49 AM
Wayne, Im hoping for next month or so. Need some dry weather here to trench in the power line. I really dont want to see the electrician knee deep in water in the trench. It was early June last year when we started the new building. So not to bad in reality.

When all the construction building and set up is done the real job starts organizing and storing all the things from the old building an then the machine tooling near the machines and where it can be gotten to easily.

Its been a really interesting project and Ive learned a lot. from framing, concrete, electric, finishing.

Three44s
05-21-2020, 09:55 AM
CG,

Well now that you are all practiced up, you can start a second one!

Just kidding ......

Good to hear you will SOON be in your long awaited and anticipated “work nest”.

Three44s

country gent
05-21-2020, 09:58 AM
Three44s, Whats really amazing is how fast the shop area filled up. 17x30x10. The old garage was 24 x 30 x 7 the new building is 40 x 50 x 10. and still filling fast

Three44s
05-26-2020, 09:23 AM
Filling up fast? Oh tell me about it! LOL!

We had an all steel building put up in ‘09, 40x60’ with lean two’s on each side 12’ deep so the overall foot print is 64 wide by 60’ long. This not a shop mind you. It’s the wife’s barn. It surely will be a very nice shop someday however as we are in our early sixties now. My wife is into horses but they just get part of the non enclosed lean two sections for shelter.

My load room is 12x13 in part of the enclosed lean two section.

So our building stores a tractor, two trucks, a Jeep, Horse trailer and lawn mower. Lots of stuff ....

The stuff lay about on the floor until we had a loft or mezzanine built. We have a lot of overhead room so we went UP!

What a God send!

My wife’s tractor has a loader so we either pack it up the stairs or fire up Mr. Kubota! And up it goes!

In the case of lathes and mills, not so practical! .... or your tooling for that matter!

You mentioned drilling concrete and it was difficult. Did you have a roto hammer drill of some capacity? We did some drilling on some of our concrete and it was like butter but I was gifted a nice old school drill that just eats concrete for breakfast!

I hope you can swing some pictures soon again, we would all love to see your shop at this point!

Best regards

Three44s

country gent
05-26-2020, 09:53 AM
We had a dewalt hammer drill and Milwaukee 1/2 drill motor with the carbide concrete drills. The actual concrete drilled fine but the gravel was a pain. Drill would cut around 1/2" fine and quick then sit and spin for 1/2" or so then drop thru again quick. The chemical anchors needed to be in 3 1/2" so it was a task. I believe the gracel used was harder than the limestone we normally use.

Im planning on some over head storage in the garage portion and above the shop room. Trusses are on 10' centers so will take 12' 2x4 maybe 2x6s to span in the building. The rooms ceiling joists are 2x6 on 16" centers. a second set 90* would give plenty of strength and also room for a second layer of insulation. Being on 16" centers 1/2 " plywood or 3/4" should be fine

Scrounge
05-26-2020, 10:33 AM
My Sam's Club has the 4' Honeywell LED shop lights for $19.99. I bought four of them for my workshop a couple of weeks ago for $24.99. Will probably pick up 2 or 3 more. I've got a 16x21 former back porch, and a 12x18 former garage to light up. My "office" and reloading bench are in the garage, and one of those lamps lights the computer/desk area nicely! Going to be at least 4 in each room by the time I'm done. Maybe 8. I find my old eyes need more light than they used to. 5000 lumen per lamp, at 5000K, a very nice white light.

country gent
05-26-2020, 05:37 PM
I have 6 of them for in the shop They will be installed at an angle one wall angled to floor opposite wall. this has them crossing each other and the light gets into shelving better. Angled like that eliminates a lot of shadows

Mal Paso
05-27-2020, 12:24 AM
If you can see what you are doing, that's one less excuse. Just sayin ...

Half inch rotohammers are fine for 1/4 and 5/16 holes but really slow down 1/2 and above. I make a lot of holes. I have a nice old 1/2" Makita and didn't want to burn it up so I got the Milwaukee 2 inch SDS Max for 1/2 inch up.

country gent
05-30-2020, 11:56 AM
Well my luck is holding. Rained last 2 days so put everything on hold here The contractor replacing the house roof and the electricians trenching in the feeder line from house to garage. Last year we got the old garage tore down and the building delivered then it rained for 5 weeks. LOL. I can still remember hearing the splashing when contractor packed the bored holes flat and the water shooting out when he dropped the concrete "cookies" in.

Looks like Monday before it starts again

country gent
06-01-2020, 09:39 PM
Big Day Today !!!!!!!!! electrician finished the wiring. Now have outlets and machines to work with. Finally got to run all the machines in the shop and the new saw out in the garage portion. Now to the air manifold and lighting.

Marked out where the air couplers will be on one wall. one in back corner then 1 on each side of the outlet boxes. 9 on each 30' wall. 1 on back wall. This way Ill only need a few short air hoses. Ill also need 2 "whips about 3' long to tie air compressor in and to the feed system on the saw.

Wayne Smith
06-02-2020, 07:56 AM
Having power inside is a big step. It does make everything else easier.

Three44s
07-18-2020, 10:26 PM
CG,

It’s been a long time since the last update.

How goes the “battle”?

Three44s

country gent
07-18-2020, 11:16 PM
Slowly, Have a small portion of walls to finish Pocket door to finish and front wall to insulate and sheet. Im close and been tinkering around in there. Mini split is in and running so now have heat and air. been sorting thru machine tooling ( found a box with a little over 50 1/2" square cemented carbide lathe bits ( form ground but 3/4 of the carbide still there so can be resharpened to what I need and many touch ups left). Got some drawer units for tool bits and odds and ends. Machines are all wired up. Moved most of the machine tooling into room to be cleaned and sorted. My new work bench is full top and bottom as I do this. I am finding things I didnt know I bought.... LOL Tooling wise several various size nu 3 mt drills 18" long. a full set of nu3 mt drills from 3/4"-2", aloris tool holders 12 so far, collets 5c and r8 5c are almost 2 sets in 64the round square and hex. R8s are 1/32 increments again 2 full sets and extras. Many grinding wheels for the grinder ( by many there are close to 25 wheels) but so far only 2 mounting arbors. Boring heads fly cutters insert mills and lathe tools ( will be a pain finding the right inserts for them). Still have to go thru all the stock yet. Ive got a lot to do yet but it is interesting. Spare belts for the mill spare parts for the lathes. chucks tool holders centers.

This spring heavy winds pulled up shingles on house roof so replaced it. it was 30 years old wasnt worth fixing it. only 1 layer so contractor laid new over it. A few other distractions. This past week ac went down in house. Techs found 3 leaks and resoldered them. Now 90*-100* heat so not expecting people to help in the heat either.

Wayne Smith
07-19-2020, 01:58 PM
No, I don't expect others to help in the heat either. But you have your minisplit in and some temp control so you can fiddle to your heart's content!

country gent
07-19-2020, 08:51 PM
Wayne, I may pick up a 20' piece of 1/8" cable a few screw eyes cable clamps and a 10 x 18 tarp hang it like a shower curtain inside the front wall to close it off. wouldn't be the best but would keep cool in better than the open studded wall frame.

Three44s
07-19-2020, 09:24 PM
Well, there is still many things to do but it is good you can “putter” in some modicum of comfort!

Good time to get your stuff “found again” and organized so you can use them on a timely basis.

The wind here has been extraordinary as well.

A serious T Storm hit us in Central E. Washington about 6weeks ago but in Central E. Oregon it was catestrophic. There it destroyed Wheel line and Pivot Circles by the score that had water in them (they were irrigating). Half of a large valley in the area of Madras Ore. is said to be finished this year. They are picking up the scrap and planning for next year.

The winds were so bad that sprinkler lines were blowing wildly across State Hwy 97. Imagine that for a moment.

Here in Goldendale WA buildings, barns and hay sheds were destroyed. The PNW is not known for tornados but we are getting them to some degree.

Three44s

Dragonheart
07-20-2020, 06:57 AM
I ditto using LED's. I prefer a color temperature of 5K t0 6K. The daylight white light is the way to go if you are working with machinery& tools.

country gent
07-24-2020, 07:50 PM
This week I started cleaning (rough with just a brush no solvent yet. Got the most off what Ive went thru. So far Ive found 15 aloris tool blocks turning, facing,boring, threading, Some various insert holders, 5c collets ( almost 2 full sets of round, hex and square, several blanks ) cemented carbide bits close to 50 1/2"with 3/4 of the carbide left. Also some 3/4, 3/8, 1/4. very few 3/16 and 1/8. 3 live centers two are heavy royals with #3 Morse tapers. all could use the points cleaned up. A set of #3 MT drills from 3/4" - 2" all have a lot of life left in them. 4 #3 mt dead centers 2 are carbide tipped, but no sleeves for spindle use. 2 sets of R8 collets and 1 set of R 8 weldon holders, 2 boring heads 1 small set of everede boring bars. 4 slitting saw arbors with R8 shanks. 4 spare belts for the Bridgeport, 4 mill vises 1 8" kurt angle lock, one 6" bridgeport, and one parallel to table vise. Im about 1/3 of the way thru it all. Was and interesting day.

Wayne Smith
07-25-2020, 07:40 AM
Wow! If it was me I'd have to be making lists or I'd put something somewhere and forget it! Of course you have been working with that stuff all your life and I don't know what half of it is.

country gent
07-25-2020, 01:05 PM
Wayne I have 2 18 X 48 X 96 shelve units assembled in to half units giving me 3 shelves and floor at each machine. The machines tooling will be on the shelves at each machine. I need to make a grinding wheel rack to store the grinding wheels upright at the grinder. As far as cutting tools go Im not sure how Im going to store all of them I have some drawer units but with the numbers Im finding this isnt really practical. May have to go into labeled card board boxes. Next is storing stock I got around 2 tons of various stock lengths sizes alloys materials. some are cuts others 10 ft lengths. Going to take a good rack for all of it. This project is coming along but slowly.

country gent
07-26-2020, 11:33 PM
The new shelves are the quick assemble type with key hole slots, This makes then hard to move when assembled. Im going to make a simple I brace from 2"X 4" that just fits on the bottom shelf then 4 dowels will slide in holes thru legs and 2 X 4 this should lock the bottom shelf in place allowing me to lift it with the fie cart easily. Would also work if rearranging cleaning only having to clear bottom shelf off.

What Im planning is to make the I frame to size set in shelf and clamp down lightly then spot the two key holes thru thru legs both sides. If 4" is tall enough I may stagger the holes on each leg for more bearing. Or use a 2 x 6 to do the 2 side beams. when not needed it can be stored on top of shop.

Today I cleaned tooling solvent cleaned tool holder, some collets and centers Also some mill tooling. let it drain and oiled it lightly. Still have some to go. Tomorrow the person is coming to check my figures to put dura berm between house and building a 20' wide approach in front and 3' borders around 2 sides. Save mowing between house and garage gine wont trak in building as easy, and will save having to mow as close to building. Looks like 60 tons. Of fine dura berm. So according to Tennesee Ernie Ford roughly 3 days work once delivered. You shovel 16 tons.

Wayne Smith
07-27-2020, 10:17 AM
Sixteen tons and what a ya get? Another day older and deeper in debt. St. Peter don't ya call me now, I owe my soul to the company store!

Yeah, I can sing it, but just the chorus for those young folks who don't know the reference.

country gent
07-27-2020, 09:16 PM
Need to be on tune next time Wayne

Today made the frames to move shelves with die cart. A simple little bar That set across shelve and 4 pins thru key holes on each leg to lock the shelves and support it. a drop down just under shelve to lift on. The new key hole shelve units are easy to assemble but almost impossible to move when assembled, these 2 x 4 frames should make it easy even loaded to move them with the die cart. Will clamp them down to shelf tomorrow and spot the 4 1/2" holes thru the legs. into the blocks. 4 dowels in each leg should give plenty of support. The pins holes will be staggered on each side of leg. They set in and twist up into legs snug on top of shelf locking in to leg with 4 pins. Gotthe stone ordered for between house and building the approach and borders today ended up needing 60 tons.

country gent
07-29-2020, 11:39 PM
Made the 1/2" poms today and spotted the keyholes in the 2 x 4s 4 pins per corner 2 each side of angle legs. Looks good when they are installed and the actual lifting blocks are 1/2" below shelf bottom so no lift on the shelves.
Cleaned tooling looks good enough and will store it once walls are finished and can move shelves to the walls. May start on the air manifold tomorrow. I can do this on the floor and the helpers can assemble it above. This way I wont end up with air lines running in front of windows. Will be a lot of cutting and pope threading.
Then today my old lufkin tape measure died and quit retracting, would return past 80". Took 4' of the end and gave it a proper burial. Date cut in case read 1978 so it didnt owe me anything.

country gent
07-30-2020, 09:13 PM
Today assembled all the manifold drops tee up to where the drop screws in. Didnt take them more than hand tight right now but did put the Teflon pipe dope in so they and me tightened up and assembled to mains as we go. Also assembled the main for out side the shop in the garage. dope in threads need to add one length yet. 5 couplings on this one but 2 are dedicated 1 - air compressor 2- saw feed on this one. condensate drain will run to Hvac pan and the water will drain out side. 2 runs 3/4" 30' long 1 1/2" 30' Long. the drops are straight up 3/4" 5" tall and 5" over then down to a 1/2" pipe down into the room. This manifold will add a little over 5 gallons capacity to the compressor. Am going to raise the end opposite the drain 3" over the 30' so there is fall to make condensate run to drain.

Three44s
07-30-2020, 09:41 PM
Tennessee Ernie Ford .... what a voice!

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Tennessee+Ernie+Ford&docid=607997550380846710&mid=F39465A952E5424F9E2CF39465A952E5424F9E2C&view=detail&FORM=VIRE

There, Wayne can rest his vocal cords!

CG,

Great progress! Glad you are closing in on the Finnish line!

Three44s

country gent
08-05-2020, 04:24 PM
Well today ordered some more needed materials to continue work. The air manifold is as far as I can go even has the 2 "whips" installed for air compressor and saws power feed. ordered some more needed pipe fittings and odds and ends there. Also ordered 500 pack of intex fiber paper rags the PRC material and 5 gallons of Simple green aviation precision metal concentrate. This is supposed to work well in tanks or ultra sonics with or with out heat. I need to clean the drops and tees since I seem to have lost my touch. Working with the pipe dope the other day every time I touched something I got pipe dope all over me and the parts. LOL.

Mal Paso
08-05-2020, 08:59 PM
Working with the pipe dope the other day every time I touched something I got pipe dope all over me and the parts. LOL.

If it's the good stuff it won't wash out of your clothes either.

Nice to see someone making progress!

country gent
08-05-2020, 10:11 PM
Mal Paso For a few years I hand scraped machine members re fitting them. That 107 ( or 109 ) scrapping blue was also some tenacious stuff to work with and it never dried so it would end up everywhere. Only things we had that would remove it was MEK and alcohol. This stuff would rub off with a clean rag, but it took some work.

country gent
08-07-2020, 09:52 PM
Today I laid out the borders for the new stone. Started with a tight string marking the outer edge and laid in a line of stone along it to mark new borders. Boy is running an Irish back hoe ( shovel) tricky from a chair LOL. But I got it done so now brother and his grandson can come in with the tractor and loader and spread it. 3 ft border on 2 sides 4" fill between house and garage then a bigger approach into the front. I may even put up a basket ball hoop so I can teach the grandsons to dunk. Once plus to the power chair was I only had to fill and support the shovel the chair carried it to where I needed to go.

Wayne Smith
08-08-2020, 07:32 AM
How is the new med helping your activity? Has it increased your ability to function at all?

country gent
08-08-2020, 10:24 AM
Wayne I seem to be standing up alot better, better "control" of some functions, and a little feeling in feet this is the first tear cycle and only a few weeks into it so will be interesting to see. Next year I do the 2 cycles again and then done

Wayne Smith
08-08-2020, 04:34 PM
Better feeling in your feet is a major advantage. Much less likely to hurt yourself when you can feel your feet.

country gent
08-08-2020, 08:46 PM
Started spreading dura berm today. Got about half done when hydraulic seal blew. Brother has to fix that and said I may need to tap some holes out bigger as some threads are bad in the aluminum block. between house and garage may still need a few bucket fulls but its close and I can use the back door now. Looks good and appears to be running very close to what was figured so far

country gent
08-10-2020, 10:05 PM
Today I fixed the hydraulic blocks threads. While not stripped were very loose and sloppy. Set them up and drilled to 7/16 20 then fitted a plug to them with a snug fit. Locttited in place and cleaned up flush with face. Aid out the holes and drilled and tapped 3 new 5/16 18. will replace bolts with studs machine washers and the o ring with a flat seal washer. Should make a long lasting repair. The thread plugs are bottomed out in the holes with ends fitted in to existing drill point bottoms. Maybe this weekend finish spreading and grading the dura berm

country gent
08-15-2020, 06:13 PM
Today I started cleaning on the machines them selves. Pump up 1 gallon sprayer and paint brush. Mixed up a gallon of simple green extreme cleaner at 10 - 1 in the sprayer. Killed power to machines sparred down wet and let set for 5-10 mins sprayed down lightly and worked with a brush. Most pf the crud came of quickly. Some stubborn will need hit again. That stuff is really working good cleaning up the tooling and machines. Got the tail stock ends of both lathes and backs of chip guards done today. Last step was to wipe dry with a towel.

country gent
08-19-2020, 09:36 PM
Was back up to being able to get in and out today. Buddy came over and we cleaned up the Nardini lathe. Started with a pump up sprayer and brushes was slow going with the cakes on crud. Mail delivered the siphon gun shortly after we started. Pumped up the air compressor and mixed up some more simple green with dawn. Set regulator to 100 psi, now that did the job and went much quicker. Started on a portable collet stand that will hold the 5C collets spindle mounts chucks and draw bars. Will be on casters so it can go to . Machine needed.

I will be using the collets on the lathes mills and grinder so being able to move it is a plus

country gent
09-04-2020, 08:58 PM
Working on the tooling cart for the lathes . Have the frame about ready to sand and finish. This cart will be on 4 castors. Bottom shelf is for chucks and rests at the same height as the die cart lowered down. It is offset to one side this will make rolling chucks onto cart easier. Next shelf up is for the spindle noses collet stops and odds and ends a brace to add support then a "ferris" wheel with 4 shelves for collets. 26 holes per shelf for a total of 104. Had it assembled today and a couple shelves need a little fitting to get to free rotation. As the main wheel turns the shelves rotate to stay upright. Turning it, today the movement looked good and was interesting to watch. Got the bearing blocks made and fitted up.
Tomorrow will finish fitting things up. Still have the front wall and some plywood to go.

country gent
09-15-2020, 10:41 PM
Today me and a friend went back to where I bought the machines tooling and stock, was invited to look over what was left and found in hiding. Brought home a short bed pick up full of things. Wasnt going piece meal the small stuff cabinets with mostly what I wanted got put on the list along with tool boxes and boxes. One big drawer cabinet with mostly assorted end mills from engraver points to 1" dia, 2 and 4 flutes mostly double ended. One cabinet had some slitting saws die sinker end mills in various tapers. and reamers. Another had reamers and lathe tools. A home made post grinder, pin gauges .060-1/2 minus. Mikes to 4" several dups, snap ring Groove mikes 0-2", many thread pitch radius angle gauges. 1 Kennedy roll around boc Again with contents a 2 drawer base and apprentice top. A tool sharpener for the surface grinder end mills drills counter bores. a spin dex indexer. A 18 x 18 cast iron surface plate in good shape. A drawer cabinet with assorted bolts nuts and washer. This also had some dowel pins in it. A bunch of indicators starret back dials, Last words federls a big dial .0001 finger indicator, a old Gladwin mechanical No dial. A couple 3" travel Starrets. Taps and dies. Also vee blocks and a magnetic block, and several 1" tool makers vice. Was a good day. We got it home and went thru it all and am happy. Most was Starret, Browne and Sharpe, Lufkin, mititoyo. THe bed on the truck was pretty much full. I did pass on the stock that was left as most was small pieces or to big to handle by hand. A couple pieces of 4140 pre hard 6" round 10" long and a couple 6" square 10" long. There was a 4" bar there 8' long also.

Three44s
09-16-2020, 12:24 AM
Sounds like Christmas has come early to NW Ohio!

That stock you passed on makes me pucker up clear over here in Wa state! And I like big iron, but bursitis in my left shoulder (and I am left handed) has me in wus mode lately!

Best regards

Three44s

country gent
09-16-2020, 11:56 AM
I also like "big Iron" but to give a fair price for those chunks to just have sitting here ( along with the pain of moving them when needed) wasnt worth it. The rest was really small chunks in the 2-3" length range so again limited use. Also I was mire interested in getting the needed tooling and things

Wayne Smith
09-17-2020, 08:06 AM
You seem to have thought about everything else, I assume you have set up those rolling carts so you can tow/push them with you chair? I know casters can be problematic going in a straight line at times, especially if there is small junk on the floor.

country gent
09-17-2020, 11:44 AM
I have a die cart that is a god send to me and helpers. Its table raises from 11" to 35" and rolls easily. It has a 1000 lb rating ( my son moved the new bench at 500 lbs by himself with it) makes moving chucks, vises, and heavy tooling a lot easier.

I have a bunch of Morse taper shank drills here now #1-#3. Working on a wall mounted drill index for them, very similar to the houts with the tipping trays. 3 trays 1 for each taper.

The lathe tooling cart I have to mount the casters under and finish the collet wheel .

ANd now I have all this new tooling to make boxes covers for and to clean up. LOL

country gent
09-18-2020, 10:44 PM
Worked some on the Morse Taper wall mounted index its about ready to fit together,

In the recent tooling Going thru it today found a nearly finished 10" sine bar. A B&E sine plate 5". a bunch of the old starret last word indicators. Also a few plunger indicators. An almost complete set of Morse taper tap holders. a few tubing benders. Taps appear to be from 1/4"-7/8" but havent went thru those drawers completely yet. A set of mike standards from 3"-12". several thread pitch gauges radius gauge sets. A starret vernier protractor, divider inside outside and hermaphrodite calipers, angle gauges, a shaper planer gauge. JL Slocumb mikes 2"-4" several depth mikes a hole mike with handle and rods to 8". Mititoyo 6" and 8" digital calipers.