PDA

View Full Version : Great service from Lyman

toallmy
04-27-2019, 08:11 AM
Last weekend I resized a 50 round batch of new brass - to get started trying out a new to me 765 arginine mauser I recently picked up . Everything was working out nicely the new PPU brass was all in good shape I was very pleased with myself although I was hurrying myself along .
Here is where it all fell apart . The nice people at PPU actually put 101 cases in the bag of a hundred , as if they knew I wanted to make up a dummy round . So I took advantage of the little brass treasure and ran it up in the full length die , ( but it felt a little different ) . That's when I realized I had put up my lube pad and case lube after sizing the 50 round box to start out loading . Well it was to late to undo the mistake , but not to late to make it worse so I pulled the rim off the case trying to remove it from the die . Now that was just aggravating me more so I decided to unscrew the depriming adjustment screw , well it seems that the case mouth shoved all the way in the full length sizing die just won't let me get the flaring portion out . My next great idea was to use a hammer so I screwed the threaded rod back in to flaring portion and beat the case out of the die . Sitting at the reloading bench feeling disgusting with myself for making several boneheaded mistakes , I sent Lyman a email concerning ordering parts to fix what I had destroyed . I decided I had better just stop for the day .
Around Tuesday afternoon I received a response with contact number if I needed more assistance . I just wanted to make sure I ordered the right parts so I called Thursday at lunch time , I explained how I had done the damage and that it was completely my fault but needed replacement parts . The nice lady checked to make sure I had everything I would need to replace what I had destroyed , then decided to just send me the complete internal parts to replace in my die body just in case I forgot something .
Now I pull out my credit card wile giving her my shipping information , and when I tell her I would like to pay with a credit card she responded with no charge , not even shipping . I have heard that the service at Lyman has been not so good over the years , but what else could I ask for ?
Feel free to make a list of all the mistakes I made from the beginning to remind members to not make .
# 1

onelight
04-27-2019, 08:21 AM
That was great service good hear about it.
But if you only have 3 items on your STUPID mistake list you got a lot of catching up to do.:p

1hole
04-28-2019, 08:12 PM
Seems Lyman's tools have so few problems they don't have a full time Customer Service staff so who we get to help can be highly variable. Glad you got a good one.

There is just ONE cause of stuck cases; failure to properly apply the case sizing lube.

Whichever commercial case sizing lube you prefer will work fine IF it's properly applied and especially so for the lower portion around the base. There's an old "sticky" for case lubes at the top of this forum, reading that might be helpful.

I do suggest you get a stuck case remover, most of us need one from time to time. I made my own decades ago (simply because I could) but the RCBS drill and tap type is perhaps as good as they get.

toallmy
04-29-2019, 05:33 AM
Yes Sr. I definitely forgot to lube the case that stuck in the die . I realized what I had done right after I ran the case all the way in the full length sizing die .

Conditor22
04-29-2019, 01:40 PM
Lyman service and warranty used to be the same as RCBS but then they got greedy/sloppy quality and service went to heck.

I'm glad you had a good experience, I hope this means they are turning around and getting back to where they were many years ago.

It will be a while before I go back to buying their products.

Bazoo
04-29-2019, 04:38 PM
I had a used 30-30 die that was leaving a mark at the vent hole, I emailed them and they promptly sent me a new die body.

So I needed a seat plug for 31141 bullets. I called and told them what I want. Can't remember if they charged me but I don't think so, well they sent a plug for round nose bullets. I called again and long story short, we don't make the 31141 anymore and got no idea what seat plug works for it. Idiot. I took the extra plug and ground it for flat nosed bullets.

LynC2
04-29-2019, 04:58 PM
It's good to hear someone with positive feedback about Lyman, most of it is negative. :smile:

ShooterAZ
04-29-2019, 05:27 PM
From the sound of it, maybe they are making efforts to get things back on track again? My past experiences with them made me want to buy a different brand. Glad they took care of you.

RED BEAR
04-29-2019, 05:47 PM
Hey when a company messes up i don't mind giving them heck. Its really nice to hear about a company doing things right.

KenT7021
05-01-2019, 05:33 PM
I've only had one problem with a Lyman product.A digital thermometer didn't work.I contacted them and they sent a new one.I replaced the thermocouple on the thermometer that didn't work and it was good to go.I've been using Lyman products since the 50's.The only companies products I've had problems with is the company where making a negative post causes an uproar from the fan club.I simply avoid using most of their products.

lightman
05-01-2019, 07:03 PM
It's good to hear someone with positive feedback about Lyman, most of it is negative. :smile:

This is true! Its good to hear that a company as old and as established as Lyman is trying to rebuild their rep.

Carrier
05-01-2019, 08:00 PM
I've only had one problem with a Lyman product.A digital thermometer didn't work.I contacted them and they sent a new one.I replaced the thermocouple on the thermometer that didn't work and it was good to go.I've been using Lyman products since the 50's.The only companies products I've had problems with is the company where making a negative post causes an uproar from the fan club.I simply avoid using most of their products.

Who would that be????

Bazoo
05-01-2019, 09:10 PM
I hope they come back to their former glory.

David2011
05-02-2019, 10:58 PM
I’ve had nothing but good experiences with Lyman. When I got an old model 45 lube sizer that needed a rebuild I called with a parts order. Probably talked with the same lady with whom you spoke. She said, “You know, we have a complete rebuild kit with everything you need for less money.” Done! Another time I needed small parts for some molds. She asked if I had an FFL. I told her I had C&R but let it expire. She asked if I was a teacher. I told her I was a state certified Hunter Ed instructor. She said teachers get a better discount than FFL holders.

Now I’m just trying to figure out what I want so I can take advantage of the good deal.

BigEyeBob
05-12-2019, 08:25 AM
I got in touch with Lyman to order a couple of sizing dies for my lubesizer . Price is good (cost more because of the exchange rate US -AUD ) .any way got the quote for shipping 75.00 US to Australia ,couldnt believe it .Emailed them ,,,,yes thats correct . Yesterday I ordered a 3 die set of dies for my 360No5 rook from CH4D,42.00US for postage .The die set would weigh 4 times more than two sizing dies and a bigger parcel. Still waiting on Natchez to quote on shipping for two lyman sizing dies ,btw the dies are cheaper from them than Lyman.Not bagging anyone but cant fathom the cost of postage from Lyman .