PDA

View Full Version : Just for fun at long range.....

Rapidrob
04-26-2019, 06:12 PM
Years ago I got a 7x57mm Remington Rolling Block rifle with a bad barrel. It sat gathering dust for decades until I had an idea. These Smokeless actions are a tough as nails and why not build something fun. I already had more RRB's in all sorts of calibers, why make the same thing again? Nope.
This time I built a "just for fun" rifle in .50-110-750 ( .50 Alaskan ) I had a left hand tangent sight made and found a .50 BMG barrel 38" long. More than enough to burn a slow powder. A Lyman globe front sight was added.
I was not building anything "dinosaur" sounding,just hurling a heavy bullet,slowly, a long ways very accurately.
And brother does it.
For those of you who have been around a big-bore rifle shoving a heavy bullet down range you know just how accurate thay truly are. "Slow,Heavy & True" was the old saying.
The rifle has been shot out to 800 yards with rounds sticking into the 5/8" cold rolled steel plate using .50 BMG API bullets ( very dry here ,these can only be shot on wet days which aren't very many )
Recoil due to the very heavy barrel is not too bad. A 12 gauge shotgun shooting slugs is about right.
MV is around 12-14 hundred. No pressure signs,and after many hundreds of rounds fired,no wear on any pin nor block surface.
I had a chance to fire some tracers over a lake in Washington State at dusk ( no one around the private lake but the owner and me ) and the firing was if I had launched flaming tennis-balls! The sound was like one of Harry Potters snakes talking to him as the bullet went down stream and into the water 1,000 yards away. The ground was so wet there was no chance of setting a fire if the bullet did strike the ground,none did. I had a chance to shoot at a piece of 3/4" thick T-1 Steel set to 200 meters just to see what the slow moving .50 AP bullet would do. It stuck into the plate as well, so firmly it could not be removed. One of the spotters took it home and cut the plate with bullet lodged into it and made desk ornament which he still has.
It is a hoot to shoot. The eyes of fellow shooters says it all when the rounds are drug out. All want to shoot it.
After all it is just for fun....

M-Tecs
04-26-2019, 06:31 PM
Very nice. Looks like a ton of fun.

RED BEAR
04-26-2019, 06:37 PM
Boy i like that . And some pretty darn good shooting. I bet its a blast. Enjoy.

modified5
04-26-2019, 07:34 PM
That is awesome! Nice shooting.
T-Rex just doesn’t stand a chance!:Fire:

Ozark mike
04-26-2019, 07:53 PM
Hmm maybe you could start making good those for the public everyone needs one
That's a awesome setup

Drm50
04-26-2019, 08:59 PM
How much work did you have to do to get chamber clearance over the breech block to load that cartridge. I put together a 45/70 on a 7x57 RB and had to take some metal off. You could just barely wiggle it it but it would scrape the brass doing it. I only shoot mine out to 400yds and used 405 cast with mild factory dupe type loads.
I had a reciever sight on mine.

Rapidrob
04-26-2019, 09:59 PM
I duped the 7mm barrel breech contour and it mated right up to the front of the receiver. The barrel was turned on a 13" Lathe .I had to re-engineer the extractor cut out out a little due to the wider rim,and rimless to a rimed cartridge.The extractor took longer than machining the barrel.

enfield
04-28-2019, 09:08 PM
what load are you shooting to penetrate 3/4 " steel with a rolling block , makes me a little nervous .